Why Mika Can't Get American Radioplay.

JackViolet

I meant that politicians in the US are using anti-gay propaganda for their own purposes in order to take attention away from other issues (eg. wars). I stand by that view and also the fact that I can see a lot of hypocrisy around.

This is of course true, but we should still separate the various levels of anti-gay propaganda in order not to reduce everything to caricature. America does have severe issues with homophobia, but it worries me that the Westborough Baptist Church is what gets exported as an "example" which people then take as representative.

But it is true, it's up to the people of each country to get more involved with what's going on politically so that they don't grant consent by inaction. England needs to step up in this respect in terms of its issues with classism, xenophobia, and allowing a surveillance state...

I only mentioned the demostration at Heath Ledger's funeral as an example of hypocracy or, rather, simple stupidity ....It was someone else who stated it was just a small number of people. I don't know the background to that demonstration, but it is 'flat out' stupiditythat people mistake the role of an actor with his/her real persona...

:cool:

To be fair (can't believe I'm saying that), it's not that they confuse him with his character, it's that they hate him for taking part in a movie that argued for acceptance of homosexuality. Just as awful, of course.

--Jack

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair (can't believe I'm saying that), it's not that they confuse him with his character, it's that they hate him for taking part in a movie that argued for acceptance of homosexuality. Just as awful, of course.

--Jack

:shocked:

So Anthony Hopinks was lucky enough not to have met violent protestors against serial killers:blink:

Sorry, I still don't think it's logical:cool:

:wink2:

:shocked:

So Anthony Hopinks was lucky enough not to have met violent protestors against serial killers:blink:

Sorry, I still don't think it's logical:cool:

:wink2:

Anthony Hopkins wasn't in a movie that celebrated the beauty of being a serial killer and sent a message of acceptance for a lifestyle of murdering and eating people. BBM was a movie that said it's okay to be gay. And to this small group of people, that was like saying it's okay to do something that is inherently wrong, immoral, and evil.

as for the James Blunt thing, many people on this site claimed that he is successful over there... so you think he is not..:blink:

OK, except he's not popular where I live. But then again, the United States is 40 times bigger than the UK so it's a lot harder to say that an artist is "successful" here.

I do not listen to the radio anymore, but if he's not getting airplay then it's not because of some conspiracy against him personally or his message.

It most likely goes back to the fact that all of the major US radio stations are owned by just a few different companies. These days they issue national playlists that all stations must adhere to. There might be some slots for a local music showcase, but you get the point.

Getting onto the playlist involves a method of funneling money from the label into the radio station. They can't do it directly, I guess that is illegal. They use a middle man of sorts who then offers the station a bonus for playing a band. Something like money to give away to listeners or concert tickets or whatever.

So if you are wondering why Mika isn't on the radio, it's because his label isn't putting up the cash to influence the playlist. Yes Virginia, that's how it works.

Yes, I think we all believe that, but I really wonder why Robbie Williams never made it in the US while James Blunt became popular over there...

I mean they have the similar type of anthemic songs and I think the irritating factor is much higher in JB songs:cool:

I can only think of 2 reasons:

1., even Robbie is considered to be 'camp' for the US (despite all his efforts to look really masculine) because of the way he acts

2. James Blunt looks like a typical unattractive, miserable but funny straight English guy....the character you find in all British comedies - so he might actually be considered to be 'cool' over there...

.... I honestly cannot see much difference in music, except that I rather listen to RW than JB...

Any opinion on this one? (especially from the US?)

*whispers* I'm a James Blunt fan. *sneaks quietly away*

I do not listen to the radio anymore, but if he's not getting airplay then it's not because of some conspiracy against him personally or his message.

It most likely goes back to the fact that all of the major US radio stations are owned by just a few different companies. These days they issue national playlists that all stations must adhere to. There might be some slots for a local music showcase, but you get the point.

Getting onto the playlist involves a method of funneling money from the label into the radio station. They can't do it directly, I guess that is illegal. They use a middle man of sorts who then offers the station a bonus for playing a band. Something like money to give away to listeners or concert tickets or whatever.

So if you are wondering why Mika isn't on the radio, it's because his label isn't putting up the cash to influence the playlist. Yes Virginia, that's how it works.

I have heard about it, too...

Funny, isn't it also what George Michael claimed in his court case? (i.e. his label not investing enough money in him to get radio airplay as Tommy Mottola was pushing Mariah Carey instead? :mf_rosetinted:

*whispers* I'm a James Blunt fan. *sneaks quietly away*

There is nothing wrong with that... :wink2: I also like some of his songs (though I don't know all the singles..) ... and I love British comedies with the miserable but funny tall guys....:naughty:

I'd also like to say that rap and r'n'b itself a vast and innovative genre. It's expanding into rock and pop and other forms of music more and more now, and I'd wager that 20 years down the road it will branch out and inspire all sorts of other musical movements (it already has) and will be seen the same way as rock is now.

--Jack

I agree, it is going that way...I don't mind that at all, I love music to be full of variety!

yep, you've got the point!

according to this http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/jan/31/2

Universal is a bit in crisis, so I think they hadn't cash to invest on radio programming

i copy the article

mika460.jpg

Universal, the world's biggest music company, suffered falling revenues last year despite fast growth in digital download sales and album success for Amy *Winehouse and Mika.

The record labels and music publishing business owned by French media conglomerate Vivendi said it increased market share in 2007 but revenues were down 1.7% to €4.9bn (£3.6bn) as the wider music industry continued to suffer.

Once the group's acquisition of BMG Music Publishing and UK music group and merchandising business Sanctuary were taken into account revenues were up 3% on a constant currency basis. Without those new additions, revenues were down 3%, partly "reflecting a difficult music *market".

The fourth quarter taken alone was particularly tough, with revenues down 5%, excluding the acquisitions. The drop off in revenues came despite last year's strong release schedule.

The record industry has been battling rampant piracy and looking for new ways to reach consumers who have grown used to paying little or nothing for music. While legal downloads have been rising they have yet to make up for falling CD sales.

Figures released last week by music industry association IFPI showed global digital sales last year accounted for 15% of the entire market that was down by 10%.