Why Mika Can't Get American Radioplay.

JackViolet

Pop star arrested in Los Angeles suburb

February 10, 2008 - MFC Newswire

British pop singer Mika was arrested early this morning in the Los Angeles suburb of Burbank on charges of careless driving and posession of narcotics, the LA Times is reporting.

Police sources say the grammy-nominated "Grace Kelly" singer was found to be weaving erratically at speeds upwards of 175 mph. When stopped by California state troopers, he was found to have a blood alcohol content of three times the legal limit.

Police also found traces of Gizzlegloo, a manufactured chemical drug popular in Britain, in his rented Lamborghini Gallardo.

"I thought it was bad when Britney drove without a valid California driver's license," said a police officer who declined to give his name. "But Mika doesn't even have a valid British license - in fact, he's never had any sort of motor vehicle driver's license. He is, however, certified to pilot Boeing 747's."

Sources close to the troubled popstar said his downward spiral began when he lost to Canadian songstress Avril Lavigne at last year's European Music Awards.

"He just stopped answering calls, he wouldn't go out anymore," the source said. "He threw himself into buying all sorts of things - the last was a 40 metre high inflatable blue and orange castle, complete with ball pit. I had no idea, though, that cars and drugs were next on his list."

California police are continuing their investigation.

--------------

That oughta' send Relax right to number one. :mf_rosetinted:

I'm lovin' your work! :roftl: :roftl: :roftl:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I spoke to Andy on the video camera thingie at the Manchester gig he asked me what I thought of Mika in relation to Amy Winehouse and I said that I thought if Mika did more drink and drugs he'd probably get a load more press coverage and kudos. I should have added to that "And more airplay in America!" Coz it sure is true...:wink2:

I don't think people like Amy Winehouse for all the drugs she does, however (I know you didn't say that, I'm just adding on). I think her fans like her for her music. However, lots of people who weren't familiar with her music just know her in the news about all her drugs etc.They're not necessarily part of her fanbase. I think the celebrity aspect and the musician standpoint are separate, and only joined by the (therefore inflated) identity. Does that make any sense AT ALL?

On a similar topic - you spoke about society's perceptions of the gay man, but what are your theories on society's perceptions of the lesbian woman? In my experience, it seems like lesbians are okay as long as they're 5'9", blonde, 120 lbs and wear a 34D. Oh, and they have to be willing to make out on camera. If they're not model gorgeous and into documented exchanges, they serve no purpose - take Ellen or Rosie, for example.

Hmmm...

I totally agree with that and that is soo dam hypocritical of them.

I know a bloke (my friends husband) who is like that he is sooo homophobic yet he openly goes on about lesbians. He even says if his son was gay he would have a real problem with it (I think the words he used flippantly were "I'd kill him").

yet he has found out this year that one of his daughters is a lesbian and his stepdaughter is Bi (well she says she is but she has only kissed a girl for effect in the pub I think for male entertainment), now THAT is what I call a victim of the times because a lot of people these days seem to think its fashionable to be bi, I don't believe they are at all I think they are doing it and saying it just to appear more sexually attractive to men, who a lot of them are gay phobic but like lesbians who fit the criteria Lollipop Monkey mentioned above (they also have to of course; even though they are lesbians, be so turned on they want a guy there for afters too...peleeeeaaaaase!!!!!!

shocking. seriously, i wouldn't have guessed.

Obviously you've never seen Jesus Camp.

America craves scandal....Mika just isn't interesting enough for them.. They want sex...not creative quips about hookers on street corners or keeping lollipops outta your mouth. That's too difficult for them to envision. They don't want creativity, they want booty shaking bull****. The just want breasts (or something they can shake their tatties to in the clubs), loud bass and controversy in the media (i.e. baby shaking, wreckless driving or gun toting).

Holy blanket statement, Batman!

To be honnest I wonder if the lack of support of the US radios is due to this pseudo-homosexuality theory or simply to the fact that Americans are just not interested in what happens outside of their borders in general.

That may be true for some people, but in my opinion, it's not just that we're not interested. I think it's a location thing. Americans are SO isolated. We live in this gigantic country with 50 states. Many of these states are bigger than a European country. Hell, the entire island of Great Britain can easily fit inside the state that I live in with 7,000 sq mi to spare. I would say that Americans are just as informed about the states surrounding them as Europeans are about the countries surrounding them. It's just that Europeans get to say they're more cultured, because they happen to be countries, not states. Seriously, though, I feel like I'm missing out on the world because I'm stuck in the middle of the USA and all there is here is farms, snow, and lakes.

As for Mika not being popular, well, I agree with what was originally said about males having to be strong and masculine and can't be feminine at all. After all, our country was built by cowboys and frontiersmen, so that's what we look to as the ideal man. A Davy Crockett kinda guy :bleh:

That may be true for some people, but in my opinion, it's not just that we're not interested. I think it's a location thing. Americans are SO isolated. We live in this gigantic country with 50 states. Many of these states are bigger than a European country. Hell, the entire island of Great Britain can easily fit inside the state that I live in with 7,000 sq mi to spare. I would say that Americans are just as informed about the states surrounding them as Europeans are about the countries surrounding them. It's just that Europeans get to say they're more cultured, because they happen to be countries, not states. Seriously, though, I feel like I'm missing out on the world because I'm stuck in the middle of the USA and all there is here is farms, snow, and lakes.

As for Mika not being popular, well, I agree with what was originally said about males having to be strong and masculine and can't be feminine at all. After all, our country was built by cowboys and frontiersmen, so that's what we look to as the ideal man. A Davy Crockett kinda guy :bleh:

I don't know if it really has to do with physical isolation as social isolation. I live in BC in Canada and there are about 3 or 4 Million people in the province and you can fit 10 Englands or more into the province. Yet, Mika is very popular here....( or at least my advertising skills are excellent :roftl: :roftl: )

so many people here want to know about MIKA! and the Orphuem of 2780 people is almost sold out!He is VERY popular in high schools in Vancouver! I let some of my younger friends know of the concert and soon he told his friends who told his friends etc etc etc and soon facebook alone there are 200

people who have signed up, the Largest Facebook RSVP thing in the Whole Tour !!! (wow...I counted the numbers! its almost 220 and rising!)(combination of my advertising and ILIKE I started the advertising before the ILIKE was even posted. I think exposure and knowledge is certainly important and word of mouth and openness and willingness to just LISTEN. now I have requests from all sorts of people in town who want to borrow my CD and DVD! So sometimes I think if we let people know of MIKA and how wonderful he is and a good sitdown to listen to the music! it does wonders!!

I read what you wrote on the other thread Jack and commented there, but was so pleased to see this had a thread of it's own cos it was brilliant and I figured it would make for some interesting discussion. Which it has...

Pop star arrested in Los Angeles suburb

February 10, 2008 - MFC Newswire

British pop singer Mika was arrested early this morning in the Los Angeles suburb of Burbank on charges of careless driving and posession of narcotics, the LA Times is reporting.

Police sources say the grammy-nominated "Grace Kelly" singer was found to be weaving erratically at speeds upwards of 175 mph. When stopped by California state troopers, he was found to have a blood alcohol content of three times the legal limit.

Police also found traces of Gizzlegloo, a manufactured chemical drug popular in Britain, in his rented Lamborghini Gallardo.

"I thought it was bad when Britney drove without a valid California driver's license," said a police officer who declined to give his name. "But Mika doesn't even have a valid British license - in fact, he's never had any sort of motor vehicle driver's license. He is, however, certified to pilot Boeing 747's."

Sources close to the troubled popstar said his downward spiral began when he lost to Canadian songstress Avril Lavigne at last year's European Music Awards.

"He just stopped answering calls, he wouldn't go out anymore," the source said. "He threw himself into buying all sorts of things - the last was a 40 metre high inflatable blue and orange castle, complete with ball pit. I had no idea, though, that cars and drugs were next on his list."

California police are continuing their investigation.

--------------

That oughta' send Relax right to number one. :mf_rosetinted:

That was brilliant and unfortunately exactly the kind of crap that keeps the magazines etc selling.

That "fact" keeps niggling at me too.

I wish Amy et al no harm but I get really annoyed that they are considered "cool" for being drugged up and out of control as if it's all part of the process of being a musical genius...yet Mika who appears to be clean cut and disciplined is considered a lesser artist because of it.

It's as if he should wear his "tortured" past like a badge like the pitiful gang do to be allowed in the club!

It's over simplified (due to lack of time and the fact that I've gone on about it copious times) but it's always....

"Does he 'do' girls?"

"Does he 'do' boys?"

Yet never.................

"Does he not 'do' anyone cos he's a good Catholic boy/shy/wrapped up in his music/too close to his family/bitter about the way people have treated him in the past/fatally broken hearted/etc......?

The Out interview put it very eloquently and subtley when they asked if people were asking the wrong question and his reply was that if people had the time and patience to sit and talk to him about it, that he found the subject "fasinating".

I too find it fasinating and I am neither straight or gay!

I always remember his very early comment on the subject before the steel shutters had come down completely when he said that he was giving himself time to grow as a person and not deciding anything so early in his life.

One of my favourite subjects.........I never get bored of discussing the simple complexities of the whole shabang!

Intelligent journalism (is that an oxymoron?:mf_rosetinted: ) so often seems to be lacking. The out interview was refreshing, and i wish there was more of it. But then i'm not a journalist and probably wouldn't understand all the pressures on them. i mean, not everybody is going for a pulitzer prize. Most just probably want to pay the bills. But there is so much pap out there....

I don't think people like Amy Winehouse for all the drugs she does, however (I know you didn't say that, I'm just adding on). I think her fans like her for her music. However, lots of people who weren't familiar with her music just know her in the news about all her drugs etc.They're not necessarily part of her fanbase. I think the celebrity aspect and the musician standpoint are separate, and only joined by the (therefore inflated) identity. Does that make any sense AT ALL?

I would be one of those people who know nothing about her music, but hear about her shenanigans through the media. I don't watch much t.v., i don't listen to a lot of radio, i don't actively read the newspaper or purchase and read all those trashy magazines, because I get so bored with all the stupid sh*t that is on them. And yet I still know who she is, cos it's sooo pervasive. I had a point. I've forgetten what it was.... oh, yeah. Too much of it seems to be appealing to the lowest common denominator and when you get fed a steady diet of junk, you are used to junk, you rely on junk and you get withdrawal symptoms when the junk is taken away. That applies to both the media and the music scene. And maybe explains in part why this cycle of junk is so self-perpetuating.

That's an interesting point of view, about the size of the country and all the different states.... Hmmm. One to ponder.

The level of hypocrisy over there is unbelievable...

I have just read that people were demonstrating against Heath Ledger because of his role in Brokeback Mountain...

Mind you that was a very, very small group of people that planned on protesting and all of the people I've talked to have been sincerely disgusted on how homophobic and ignorant they are. Not just because Heath was a famous actor, just on the sheer fact that we've come so far (and still have a long ways to go) to make sure everyone is equal, and it seems as though it's a step in the wrong direction when there are still people out there who honestly believe that type of reasoning is just.

It's not fair to compare what a man and his prejudice family thinks to the whole country. Of course, there are more people out there that are as bad as them, but that's just not limited to America.

Edit: I forgot to mention - did you also read that those same people have been demonstrating at U.S. soldier funerals basically saying that they are happy that the soldiers are dead because it's God's punishment for America accepting homosexuality? Now, I'm against war, but you cannot blame a soldier for doing his or her job. The soldiers are the reason that those type of people are allowed to protest in the first place, no matter how hateful they are.

Lollipop moneky, that was hilarious! :roftl:

Thanks, chickadee--people have so much to say here, it's really interesting.

I would like to opine though that I don't think Amy Winehouse's popularity is all due to drugs--if anything, with all the bad press she's been getting, I hear more and more people talk negatively about her, while as a half a year before the talk was more admiring. But drugs aside, she is an extremely talented musician.

I would say her success is due to her talent, and the interest in her antics is also based on it--it's such a shame to see someone so talented wreck their life this way, and people are fascinated by the combination.

In America, of course, she also gets more airplay because she does Soul/SnB which is popular now, and while she has a throaty voice, it is "womanly sexy" so there's no gender ambiguity.

--Jack

I would like to opine though that I don't think Amy Winehouse's popularity is all due to drugs--if anything, with all the bad press she's been getting, I hear more and more people talk negatively about her, while as a half a year before the talk was more admiring. But drugs aside, she is an extremely talented musician.

I would say her success is due to her talent, and the interest in her antics is also based on it--it's such a shame to see someone so talented wreck their life this way, and people are fascinated by the combination.

--Jack

I agree with that. I know that around here at least people genuinely like her music and think she's talented. However, lately, it's just been annoying to constantly hear about her in the press, along with the handful of other celebrities they cover excessively. I just saw on the news (don't know how credible it is though) that Amy's mom is already practically planning a funeral. What is that? I know it's hard for someone like that to "break the habit", but my God, do something for her. Obviously, no one else is doing anything; they're too worried about ruining a potential tabloid/news story. People are amused by the celebrity train wrecks and use them for entertainment, much like how you said with gay men.

I seriously think she is one of the few really talented (popular) artists out there right now. I really hope she can get some help or something soon because it would be a shame for it to all be thrown away.

Lollipop moneky, that was hilarious! :roftl:

*bows, hides from Mika*

And how does that compare to a celebrity whose life is a bit of a train wreck like Amy's, but unlike Amy, was only ever sorta' talented? E.g. Lindsay Lohan or *ahem* Britney?

*bows, hides from Mika*

And how does that compare to a celebrity whose life is a bit of a train wreck like Amy's, but unlike Amy, was only ever sorta' talented? E.g. Lindsay Lohan or *ahem* Britney?

I'm not Jack, but I agreed with Jack by saying something similar in an earlier post so I'll respond too, if I may. I think it's just as simple as that. All trainwrecks of course, get attention. They're outlandish! Amy's talent is also something out of the ordinary. Out of the ordinary = attention. Britney and Lindsay's talents? Not so out of the ordinary = they get less attention in those areas. Of course, there are other factors. Britney does extremely crazy things ev-er-y night, moreso than Amy. So she makes up for lacking attention anywhere else. Lindsay is also a movie star, and (ehhh) "singer." It's all about levels of exposure for different reasons.

I may return to firm up what I'm trying to say...

The level of hypocrisy over there is unbelievable...

I have just read that people were demonstrating against Heath Ledger because of his role in Brokeback Mountain...

Mind you that was a very, very small group of people that planned on protesting and all of the people I've talked to have been sincerely disgusted on how homophobic and ignorant they are. Not just because Heath was a famous actor, just on the sheer fact that we've come so far (and still have a long ways to go) to make sure everyone is equal, and it seems as though it's a step in the wrong direction when there are still people out there who honestly believe that type of reasoning is just.

It's not fair to compare what a man and his prejudice family thinks to the whole country. Of course, there are more people out there that are as bad as them, but that's just not limited to America.

Edit: I forgot to mention - did you also read that those same people have been demonstrating at U.S. soldier funerals basically saying that they are happy that the soldiers are dead because it's God's punishment for America accepting homosexuality? Now, I'm against war, but you cannot blame a soldier for doing his or her job. The soldiers are the reason that those type of people are allowed to protest in the first place, no matter how hateful they are.

I'd just like to agree with kk448 and say that those people that are protesting Heath Ledger's funeral are indeed a small small group of people - less than 100. It's one family that calls themselves the Westboro Baptist Church and they are in NO WAY indicative of America as a whole. Please, please, do not judge the US based on crazy groups like them. We're quite nice, really :)

that means making a horrible generalization im assuming?

if so, i did end my comment with not all of you of course.....i was making a general statement...about the mass market that mika isn't hitting. but i made the exception..i just didn't go into detail.

that means making a horrible generalization im assuming?

if so, i did end my comment with not all of you of course.....i was making a general statement...about the mass market that mika isn't hitting. but i made the exception..i just didn't go into detail.

Just the way you said it was just so... it was completely generalizing and was a stereotype that isn't true.

They want sex...not creative quips about hookers on street corners or keeping lollipops outta your mouth. That's too difficult for them to envision. They don't want creativity, they want booty shaking bull****. The just want breasts (or something they can shake their tatties to in the clubs), loud bass and controversy in the media (i.e. baby shaking, wreckless driving or gun toting).

I mean, that would be offensive to some people.

Rap is a big part of our culture because we invented it. But think of all the amazing, original, inventive rock, pop, folk, etc music that's come out of America too. Just because MTV plays rap like that doesn't mean that that's all that Americans like.

Hell, I would say Country music's more popular here than gangsta rap is, it's just not what's being played on MTV.

I'd also like to say that rap and r'n'b itself a vast and innovative genre. It's expanding into rock and pop and other forms of music more and more now, and I'd wager that 20 years down the road it will branch out and inspire all sorts of other musical movements (it already has) and will be seen the same way as rock is now.

--Jack

I'd also like to say that rap and r'n'b itself a vast and innovative genre. It's expanding into rock and pop and other forms of music more and more now, and I'd wager that 20 years down the road it will be seen the same way as rock is now.

--Jack

Amen. :thumb_yello:

i just meant music that you'd hear in dance clubs. the gun toting was a statement or rather an example that related to controversy. i didn't make a statement about ganster rap specifically. and i did not mean that to be the only focus. i do see how someone could use that only to focus on...but it was not my intent. i was just trying to make a comment on the current trend that i have noticed. dance clubs, which are a huge scene, like music with heavy beats that allow you to shake your assets. im sorry if you took it as a comment on rap music.

i personally am in love with playing with lyrics, beats, wordsmiths in general...i'm a writer so i love rap, hip hop, it's fantastic.

i just meant music that you'd hear in dance clubs. the gun toting was a statement or rather an example that related to controversy. i didn't make a statement about ganster rap specifically. and i did not mean that to be the only focus. i do see how someone could use that only to focus on...but it was not my intent. i was just trying to make a comment on the current trend that i have noticed. dance clubs, which are a huge scene, like music with heavy beats that allow you to shake your assets. im sorry if you took it as a comment only on rap music.

Alright well then I misunderstood you... whenever I hear someone talking about loud beats, gun-toting lyrics, and shaking your assets I assume gangsta rap is what you're talking about because it is such a huge part of our culture. I apologize if you meant something else.

And I only use the term gangsta rap because I wanna separate rappers like Soulja Boy from rappers like the guys in Atmosphere. Two different types of rap.

And again, I'll still argue that Country music is more popular here than rap.

country is everywhere!

let's see mika do a country album..can't you see him square dance

Really?? Do they have Country music in Europe?? I'm seriously asking, I have no idea. That would be weird.

His new version of Holy Johnny is very Bluegrass and it makes me happy 'cause I love Bluegrass :thumb_yello:

Really?? Do they have Country music in Europe?? I'm seriously asking, I have no idea. That would be weird.

His new version of Holy Johnny is very Bluegrass and it makes me happy 'cause I love Bluegrass :thumb_yello:

yeah, Luke was on the banjo in the photos from Montreal yesterday...