Why Mika Can't Get American Radioplay.

JackViolet

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooh. I didn't know that. So mikey on the bass and Cherisse on the washboard??

Yeah. They've been doing Holy Johnny like that for a while. And Saranayde is playing some little percussion thing too.

Here's a good version from last November:

Yeah. They've been doing Holy Johnny like that for a while. And Saranayde is playing some little percussion thing too.

Here's a good version from last November:

It almost looks like she's banging a spoon on a mug or something???

I'd just like to agree with kk448 and say that those people that are protesting Heath Ledger's funeral are indeed a small small group of people - less than 100. It's one family that calls themselves the Westboro Baptist Church and they are in NO WAY indicative of America as a whole. Please, please, do not judge the US based on crazy groups like them. We're quite nice, really :)

Well, I do not judge Americans on the acts of a small number of people but the truth is that politics is supporting, encouraging and even using these people for their own purposes... So, what can you do against it?

Vote for the right people and don't let yourself manipulated by the media...

I am not trying to preach here, though and I have to admit that our politicians also suck ...At the moment I am not even considering to ever go and vote again, since I can only choose from the same pool of useless, corrupt people.:cool:

Well, he has a birthday coming up. Hand me some ribbons.

How exactly does one wrap crack?

Do you know, I don't think anyone's ever asked that around me before.... i think a gift box would be a good start, with maybe little compartmentalized plastic thingy in it, so it's already measured out into doses.:mf_rosetinted:

What did you have in mind?

Do you know, I don't think anyone's ever asked that around me before.... i think a gift box would be a good start, with maybe little compartmentalized plastic thingy in it, so it's already measured out into doses.:mf_rosetinted:

What did you have in mind?

Maybe I'll throw in some razorblades. Yay or nay?

Maybe I'll throw in some razorblades. Yay or nay?

it's always good to get a present where the person has thought of the little extras you may need to get the most out of the gift. Like batteries for a toy for instance. So I say, yay.

Ok, this is a little bit much though. Americans don't think gays are EVIL. Not even the extremely religious ones, aside from Fred Phelps. ...Not sure where you're getting the idea that Americans think someone who's gay can't be a decent person.

Certainly, while there may not be many gay musicians, there are plenty of fairly well known gay celebrities in the US who aren't "evil" either. :naughty:

--Jack

I don't think all Americans are haters of Gay people! But there are fanatics, and if everyone in America accepted gay people, as they should, then Mika's music would be on the air. At first, they tried to ban Billy Brown, and there's nothing really offensive in that song for anyone to worry about. The poor guy doesn't live happily Ever After with his lover.

The trouble is, it takes time to change peoples' opinions when they are steeped in biggotary, but maybe, Mika is the person to do it. He's certainly brave enough to get through to them.

Love from Marilyn

I don't think all Americans are haters of Gay people! But there are fanatics, and if everyone in America accepted gay people, as they should, then Mika's music would be on the air. At first, they tried to ban Billy Brown, and there's nothing really offensive in that song for anyone to worry about. The poor guy doesn't live happily Ever After with his lover.

The trouble is, it takes time to change peoples' opinions when they are steeped in biggotary, but maybe, Mika is the person to do it. He's certainly brave enough to get through to them.

Love from Marilyn

Yeah, but there's a difference between not being fully accepting of homosexuality and thinking that gay people are evil.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Billy Brown story Mika tells is largely made up/exaggerated for effect/didn't really happen that way. It makes a very nice anecdote. It also doesn't really make that much sense. I never thought it was particularly moving when he'd say that bit on stage, 'cause it is so obviously calculated, and, well, staged!

Jill Sobule's "I Kissed a Girl" and Franz Ferdinand's "Michael" were both quite popular and played on the radio, and both are blatantly gay-themed.

--Jack

Yeah, but there's a difference between not being fully accepting of homosexuality and thinking that gay people are evil.

Also, I'm pretty sure that Billy Brown story Mika tells is largely made up/exaggerated for effect/didn't really happen that way. It makes a very nice anecdote. It also doesn't really make that much sense. I never thought it was particularly moving when he'd say that bit on stage, 'cause it is so obviously calculated, and, well, staged!

Jill Sobule's "I Kissed a Girl" and Franz Ferdinand's "Michael" were both quite popular and played on the radio, and both are blatantly gay-themed.

--Jack

I did see a programe though, a while back, and it was about this American movement. They have followers, and have banners saying stuff about Gays being evil and going to Hell. Also, I know it was quite a while ago, there was a boy called Mathew Shephered, who was beaten to death just for being gay.

I know these are extremes, and that most Americans are tolerant. All I was saying is, that there are fanatics who believe a lot of rubbish, and the sooner they are educated away from wrong beliefs, the better.

Love from Marilyn

I did see a programe though, a while back, and it was about this American movement. They have followers, and have banners saying stuff about Gays being evil and going to Hell. Also, I know it was quite a while ago, there was a boy called Mathew Shephered, who was beaten to death just for being gay.

I know these are extremes, and that most Americans are tolerant. All I was saying is, that there are fanatics who believe a lot of rubbish, and the sooner they are educated away from wrong beliefs, the better.

Of course. The fanatics you are talking about, though, are a group of... 100 people at most. In fact, they're all part of one family that happens to get a lot of publicity. And yes, there are other people who react violently to homosexuality. But as you say here yourself, "these are extremes" that do not represent "most Americans." I'm sure there are also some very homophobic people in England.

My first reply, however, was in response to your post where you said "they don't like the fact that a young man, who might be gay, is actually a GOOD PERSON. Like I said before, it goes against everything they were brought up to believe.. for example... gays are evil!

Mika isn't evil. They don't like the fact that he is not evil."

Who are "they" here? The 100-plus people out of a nation of millions? Surely not Americans in general, since Americans in general don't think gays are evil. And if it that 100-plus (or even 1000) people, what kind of impact do they possibly make on whether the radio plays Mika's music or not? The people who are that extremist in their views usually don't listen to mainstream radio anyway.

--Jack

I don't think people like Amy Winehouse for all the drugs she does, ..... I think her fans like her for her music.

Yes, I think we all believe that, but I really wonder why Robbie Williams never made it in the US while James Blunt became popular over there...

I mean they have the similar type of anthemic songs and I think the irritating factor is much higher in JB songs:cool:

I can only think of 2 reasons:

1., even Robbie is considered to be 'camp' for the US (despite all his efforts to look really masculine) because of the way he acts

2. James Blunt looks like a typical unattractive, miserable but funny straight English guy....the character you find in all British comedies - so he might actually be considered to be 'cool' over there...

.... I honestly cannot see much difference in music, except that I rather listen to RW than JB...

Any opinion on this one? (especially from the US?)

Of course. The fanatics you are talking about, though, are a group of... 100 people at most. In fact, they're all part of one family that happens to get a lot of publicity. And yes, there are other people who react violently to homosexuality. But as you say here yourself, "these are extremes" that do not represent "most Americans." I'm sure there are also some very homophobic people in England.

My first reply, however, was in response to your post where you said "they don't like the fact that a young man, who might be gay, is actually a GOOD PERSON. Like I said before, it goes against everything they were brought up to believe.. for example... gays are evil!

Mika isn't evil. They don't like the fact that he is not evil."

Who are "they" here? The 100-plus people out of a nation of millions? Surely not Americans in general, since Americans in general don't think gays are evil. And if it that 100-plus (or even 1000) people, what kind of impact do they possibly make on whether the radio plays Mika's music or not? The people who are that extremist in their views usually don't listen to mainstream radio anyway.

--Jack

Yay Jack! You always put things so perfectly!

Well, I do not judge Americans on the acts of a small number of people but the truth is that politics is supporting, encouraging and even using these people for their own purposes... So, what can you do against it?

Vote for the right people and don't let yourself manipulated by the media...

Um, I don't know what you're reading or seeing, but NO politician is using, encouraging, or supporting these people. They are the most hated family in America, and EVERYONE is against them. Whoever told you that American politicians are supporting them is flat out wrong. Period.

Yes, I think we all believe that, but I really wonder why Robbie Williams never made it in the US while James Blunt became popular over there...

I mean they have the similar type of anthemic songs and I think the irritating factor is much higher in JB songs:cool:

1., even Robbie is considered to be 'camp' for the US (despite all his efforts to look really masculine) because of the way he acts

2. James Blunt looks like a typical unattractive, miserable but funny straight English guy....the character you find in all British comedies - so he might actually be considered to be 'cool' over there...

.... I honestly cannot see much difference in music, except that I rather listen to RW than JB...

From my point of view JB only got famous here for his one song, You're Beautiful - which everyone hates now of course because it was so overplayed :naughty: . Sometimes it just takes one song. And I've never heard any of his other songs on the radio either, but I don't exactly live in the most "happening" of places.

1., even Robbie is considered to be 'camp' for the US (despite all his efforts to look really masculine) because of the way he acts2. James Blunt looks like a typical unattractive, miserable but funny straight English guy....the character you find in all British comedies - so he might actually be considered to be 'cool' over there...

SERIOUSLY they say robbie is camp...???!! :shocked: :shocked:

:roftl::naughty::roftl::naughty:

Um, I don't know what you're reading or seeing, but NO politician is using, encouraging, or supporting these people. They are the most hated family in America, and EVERYONE is against them. Whoever told you that American politicians are supporting them is flat out wrong. Period.

I meant that politicians in the US are using anti-gay propaganda for their own purposes in order to take attention away from other issues (eg. wars). I stand by that view and also the fact that I can see a lot of hypocrisy around.

I only mentioned the demostration at Heath Ledger's funeral as an example of hypocracy or, rather, simple stupidity ....It was someone else who stated it was just a small number of people. I don't know the background to that demonstration, but it is 'flat out' stupiditythat people mistake the role of an actor with his/her real persona...

:cool:

as for the James Blunt thing, many people on this site claimed that he is successful over there... so you think he is not..:blink:

SERIOUSLY they say robbie is camp...???!! :shocked: :shocked:

:roftl::naughty::roftl::naughty:

Yes! I remembered reading it as a quote a couple of years ago... I googled it and here it is:

It came from Sheryl Crow:blink: :

According to Sheryl Crow, Robbie Williams won't make it in the US because he is "too camp". Talking to the Daily Express Ms Crow said Williams' camp image is intimidating Americans, who like their men to be more macho.

Sheryl: "American men don't want to see anything that's burlesque or

vaudevillian, they want to feel that their artist is brooding and macho. Most of our male artists are so aggro they don't even look like rock stars, they look like they're all roadies. Robbie's songs are very melodic and I think he takes a lot of his inspiration from Elton John, which does not seem to be what kids in America are into right now."

Here is the link: http://blogcritics.org/archives/2003/10/20/073146.php