Why Mika Can't Get American Radioplay.

JackViolet

I don't think it's really a "get your head out of your bum hole" situation... different strokes for different folks. America (as a media-hungry soul whore) just isn't that into Mika. Sorry, dollface.

i did mean America as a generalisation. Jack was saying that America, as a WHOLE, aren't comfortable about the whole gay/men being feminine schtuff. Obviously the whole of America doesn't think like that, but it's bringing it to generalisation. That's what I meant too. The world is changing vastly and quickly and I just think it's about time for those who are stuck in a past era to open the door of "TODAY" and get used to it. The world's going forwards, not backwards.

And just to be clear, when I said "dollface" in my last post, I wasn't talking about you Caz. I was referring to Mika.:wink2: (just so you don't think I was being belittling or anything)

oh good, I was a bit worried if im honest :roftl:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Acceptable" male homosexuality has been relegated to the sphere of "the feminine," and also the "asexual." The types of gay men that American pop culture embraces are the fashion designers, the stylists, interior decorators and chefs: all of these professions are generally designated as feminine, and none of these are especially sexually provocative. The job of such people is to make the lives of straight people more comfortable or interesting, and to help straight people better realize their sexual desires (in the case of hair stylists and fashion consultants), but the desires of the gay men can be conveniently removed from the field of thought, and chefs or interior decorators are not themselves considered to be particularly "sexy." When these gay men do express sexual desire for other men, it should be done in a joking way that would be funny for the straight audience, or else it should remain out of view and largely academic. Basically, America's decided that gay men are all right so long as they are there to serve for the straight people's use and entertainment.

You know, I really think you're onto something, Jacky dahlin'. Consider, for example, "Will and Grace". The themes in that series totally underscore your point about gay men being "all right so long as they are there to serve for the straight people's use and entertainment."

(Unless you're in Montana. No offense to any Montanans, but the rampant homophobia I encountered there was unbelievable).

I think that from a less insightful perspective, Mika is also a "victim of the times" - right now, the hot tracks are the club tracks - the ones that can be set against a thumping backbeat and played in clubs across the nation. I can't imagine the scene at a typical club if Cascada or Sean Kingston were to end, and then Grace Kelly start to play. Everyone would scowl and go get a new drink.

I feel like I'm sitting here on an island as I consider what you (and others) have written about this. Canada is a nation unto itself, but it borrows heavily from American culture. Alberta, the province where I live, shares cultural and economic similarities wtih places like Montana and Texas - and Mika gets precious little airplay here. Of course, Quebec kinda thumbs its nose at American culture and is instead a little European-flavoured enclave of its own. Explains the 10,000 people at the Bell Centre last night.

On a similar topic - you spoke about society's perceptions of the gay man, but what are your theories on society's perceptions of the lesbian woman? In my experience, it seems like lesbians are okay as long as they're 5'9", blonde, 120 lbs and wear a 34D. Oh, and they have to be willing to make out on camera. If they're not model gorgeous and into documented exchanges, they serve no purpose - take Ellen or Rosie, for example.

Hmmm...

I agree, Mika is a good guy! The problem is, they don't want him to be a good guy, because they don't like the fact that a young man, who might be gay, is actually a GOOD PERSON. Like I said before, it goes against everything they were brought up to believe.. for example... gays are evil!

Mika isn't evil. They don't like the fact that he is not evil. They would be more comfortable with his presence, if he was as bad as they'd like him to be.

Ok, this is a little bit much though. Americans don't think gays are EVIL. Not even the extremely religious ones, aside from Fred Phelps. ...Not sure where you're getting the idea that Americans think someone who's gay can't be a decent person.

Certainly, while there may not be many gay musicians, there are plenty of fairly well known gay celebrities in the US who aren't "evil" either. :naughty:

--Jack

You know, I really think you're onto something, Jacky dahlin'. Consider, for example, "Will and Grace". The themes in that series totally underscore your point about gay men being "all right so long as they are there to serve for the straight people's use and entertainment."

Yup, I was partially thinking of "Will and Grace" while writing this. Note that the show also revolves largely around the sex life of the straight woman, while as Will's romantic life is relegated to the sidelines (and never explicit), while Jack's is used as humor fodder.

I think that from a less insightful perspective, Mika is also a "victim of the times" - right now, the hot tracks are the club tracks - the ones that can be set against a thumping backbeat and played in clubs across the nation. I can't imagine the scene at a typical club if Cascada or Sean Kingston were to end, and then Grace Kelly start to play. Everyone would scowl and go get a new drink.

There's actually a club remix of Grace Kelly. :bleh: I don't like it much. But many of Mika's songs have a strong, danceable beat: remixes of Love Today and Big Girl are especially good for that.

On a similar topic - you spoke about society's perceptions of the gay man, but what are your theories on society's perceptions of the lesbian woman? In my experience, it seems like lesbians are okay as long as they're 5'9", blonde, 120 lbs and wear a 34D. Oh, and they have to be willing to make out on camera. If they're not model gorgeous and into documented exchanges, they serve no purpose - take Ellen or Rosie, for example.

Yeah, I pretty much agree, except that I'd say "serve no purpose" is a generous way of putting it: reactions to lesbians who are deemed "unattractive" or, god forbid, "masculine" are downright hostile.

--Jack

Thank you Jack!:thumb_yello:

This was a completely new angle to me.

Oh, I wish I had the ability to explain how we in Sweden look at homosexuality and our conception of US as a well educated country when it comes to gay’s perspective.

It is really interesting when you talk about those differences in culture that are not so obvious at the first sight.

Posts like this lighten up the daily life on the MFC!:thumb_yello:

I think you all know what I mean.

To be honnest I wonder if the lack of support of the US radios is due to this pseudo-homosexuality theory or simply to the fact that Americans are just not interested in what happens outside of their borders in general.

You do have a point here, as far as the music is concerned: I am sure he would have done better if My Interpretation, Erase and Ring Ring had been released as singles (they require less sophisticated listeners, I guess), but the reason I think these songs would have worked better is only because of the decision makers at the radio... (I think it's them who cannot think "out of the box"):cool:

I've noticed that (about Spin). It seems like it's mostly the drugsoaked British artists that get the radioplay.

You have a point here...shall we create a drug scandal for Mika and send it to Perez to post?

:naughty:

Aha! New theory! Mika doesn't get raidioplay because he doesn't do enough drugs!!! :smoke::glasses2::rasta:

(The sad thing is that I think you're right, too...)

--Jack

He wasn't even invited to Kate Moss' party. I made him a fake invitation, hoping if he went he'd come home full of crack. Then maybe I'd hear a damn song of his on the radio.:sneaky2:

oh good, I was a bit worried if im honest :roftl:

No no no, I really was just referring to Mika. Like "Sorry dollface... nobody here likes you."

There's actually a club remix of Grace Kelly. :bleh: I don't like it much. But many of Mika's songs have a strong, danceable beat: remixes of Love Today and Big Girl are especially good for that.

The club mix of Love Today makes me want to gouge out my eardrums with a spork. :thumbdown:

The remixes don't stand a chance, though, because they're either full of "gay" falsetto, or they're songs about "fat chicks". He totally can't win. :bleh:

where did you learn this fact?

Not a good thing or a bad thing...it's just a "thing".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_States

"Among "developed nations", the US is one of the most religious. According to a 2002 study by the Pew Global Attitudes Project, the US was the only developed nation in the survey where a majority of citizens reported that religion played a "very important" role in their lives..."

reactions to lesbians who are deemed "unattractive" or, god forbid, "masculine" are downright hostile.

--Jack

Ellen falls into the same idea behind the gay male having to humour the straight collective. She went from being taken of the air to having a huge hit show. However, she's somewhat marketable..not all that masculine...or at least she has the small frame and blonde hair to help her a bit.

Can anyone say L Word...now I love my soft core p0*n dont get me wrong but let's get some short haired, flannel wearing lesbians in that show and see the ratings soar hey?

You have a point here...shall we create a drug scandal for Mika and send it to Perez to post?

:naughty:

Sounds good....doubtful he'll believe it :P but maybe he'll do it to help his friend out hey? Dear Perez, we believe Mika is in need of a scandal for the promotion of his North American Tour....attached are some photoshop images of:.....hmmm what kinda scandal would he need to get some major play?

Not a good thing or a bad thing...it's just a "thing".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_States

"Among "developed nations", the US is one of the most religious. According to a 2002 study by the Pew Global Attitudes Project, the US was the only developed nation in the survey where a majority of citizens reported that religion played a "very important" role in their lives..."

shocking. seriously, i wouldn't have guessed.

Betcha the Southern United States has a big old chunk of it.

You can always tell what's popular when it comes to what politicians can get away with. If they said it then it's a massive consensus. "God Bless America"

I can't believe Harper got away with as much as he did with his "Traditional family values" thingy... (Harper = Canadian Prime Minister)

Pop star arrested in Los Angeles suburb

February 10, 2008 - MFC Newswire

British pop singer Mika was arrested early this morning in the Los Angeles suburb of Burbank on charges of careless driving and posession of narcotics, the LA Times is reporting.

Police sources say the grammy-nominated "Grace Kelly" singer was found to be weaving erratically at speeds upwards of 175 mph. When stopped by California state troopers, he was found to have a blood alcohol content of three times the legal limit.

Police also found traces of Gizzlegloo, a manufactured chemical drug popular in Britain, in his rented Lamborghini Gallardo.

"I thought it was bad when Britney drove without a valid California driver's license," said a police officer who declined to give his name. "But Mika doesn't even have a valid British license - in fact, he's never had any sort of motor vehicle driver's license. He is, however, certified to pilot Boeing 747's."

Sources close to the troubled popstar said his downward spiral began when he lost to Canadian songstress Avril Lavigne at last year's European Music Awards.

"He just stopped answering calls, he wouldn't go out anymore," the source said. "He threw himself into buying all sorts of things - the last was a 40 metre high inflatable blue and orange castle, complete with ball pit. I had no idea, though, that cars and drugs were next on his list."

California police are continuing their investigation.

--------------

That oughta' send Relax right to number one. :mf_rosetinted:

British pop singer Mika was arrested early this morning in the Los Angeles suburb of Burbank on charges of careless driving and posession of narcotics, the LA Times is reporting.

Police sources say the grammy-nominated "Grace Kelly" singer was found to be weaving erratically at speeds upwards of 175 mph. When stopped by California state troopers, he was found to have a blood alcohol content of three times the legal limit.

Police also found traces of Gizzlegloo, a manufactured chemical drug popular in Britain, in his rented Lamborghini Gallardo.

"I thought it was bad when Britney drove without a valid California driver's license," said a police officer who declined to give his name. "But Mika doesn't even have a valid British license - in fact, he's never had any sort of motor vehicle driver's license. He is, however, certified to pilot Boeing 747's."

Sources close to the troubled popstar said his downward spiral began when he lost to Canadian songstress Avril Lavigne at last year's European Music Awards.

"He just stopped answering calls, he wouldn't go out anymore," the source said. "He threw himself into buying all sorts of things - the last was a 40 metre high inflatable blue and orange castle, complete with ball pit. I had no idea, though, that cars and drugs were next on his list."

--------------

I knew it!

They won't let him in again! :naughty:

what about a goat.... oh my did i just say that

gross:mf_rosetinted: :naughty:

--------------

:roftl: :roftl: I can picture the scene..love the details!

--------------

OMGG

*dead*

:lmfao: That was hilarious, thanks!

Aha! New theory! Mika doesn't get raidioplay because he doesn't do enough drugs!!! :smoke::glasses2::rasta:

(The sad thing is that I think you're right, too...)

--Jack

That "fact" keeps niggling at me too.

I wish Amy et al no harm but I get really annoyed that they are considered "cool" for being drugged up and out of control as if it's all part of the process of being a musical genius...yet Mika who appears to be clean cut and disciplined is considered a lesser artist because of it.

It's as if he should wear his "tortured" past like a badge like the pitiful gang do to be allowed in the club!

It's over simplified (due to lack of time and the fact that I've gone on about it copious times) but it's always....

"Does he 'do' girls?"

"Does he 'do' boys?"

Yet never.................

"Does he not 'do' anyone cos he's a good Catholic boy/shy/wrapped up in his music/too close to his family/bitter about the way people have treated him in the past/fatally broken hearted/etc......?

The Out interview put it very eloquently and subtley when they asked if people were asking the wrong question and his reply was that if people had the time and patience to sit and talk to him about it, that he found the subject "fasinating".

I too find it fasinating and I am neither straight or gay!

I always remember his very early comment on the subject before the steel shutters had come down completely when he said that he was giving himself time to grow as a person and not deciding anything so early in his life.

One of my favourite subjects.........I never get bored of discussing the simple complexities of the whole shabang!