How did you first hear about Mika?

Satya82

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:shocked: OMG! Really?

That was exactly like me (a friend of mine saw it on Bri's website, actually...But it's the same thing!)! And I sent him a message on July 18th! :shocked::roftl:

The only difference it's that by Christmas (2006) I was already obsessed! :blush-anim-cl:

Really? Awesome! :punk:

So you heard about him in July of 2006?! Whoa! When did "Grace Kelly" and "Love Today" start getting radio airplay? (When did Mika film the "Grace Kelly" music video?) When did Mika actually finish recording LICM? :shocked:

Yup. At the time I believe he had "Grace Kelly," "Billy Brown," and "Relax" up on his myspace profile. I guess he hadn't recorded "Love Today" yet, but then I heard it on the Motorola commercial a few months later and found out it was him I went on his Myspace and he had it up :naughty:

I guess he wasn't finished with the album back then *shrug*

Really? Awesome! :punk:

Yup. At the time I believe he had "Grace Kelly," "Billy Brown," and "Relax" up on his myspace profile. I guess he hadn't recorded "Love Today" yet, but then I heard it on the Motorola commercial a few months later and found out it was him I went on his Myspace and he had it up :naughty:

I guess he wasn't finished with the album back then *shrug*

Haha, I can't believe you were hearing his music for the first time as he was recording it. That's amazing. And I bet he went on his MySpace page more in 2006 than he does now. Now I bet he has people who go on it for him. :bleh:

Haha, I can't believe you were hearing his music for the first time as he was recording it. That's amazing. And I bet he went on his MySpace page more in 2006 than he does now. Now I bet he has people who go on it for him. :bleh:

It is pretty cool now that I think of it :naughty:

He didn't even reply to my comments then..............diva:sneaky2:

:naughty:

Feb 19 2008:

Well...I was thinking about this person that I hadn't thought of in a long time, so I went to the tribe website for the first time in almost 2 years. I logged in, and checked out the person I had been thinking about's profile, and just that day she had posted a link to Big Girls(You are beautiful).

I went and watched the video and instantly fell in love with that smile, those curls, his moves, his words, his style!

I immediately started to youtube Mika, and found so much stuff, watched interview after interview, video after video, until I was completely Mikafied!

Then I found out he had played a concert in my home town, during my college reading break, only 4 days before I had discovered him. I was heartbroken. I would have totally taken the 12 hour bus ride just to see him at the Orpheum. Not even a second thought.

What really attracts me to Mika though is his humbleness. His care for the fans. His steadfastness in keeping true to his music. His ability to stay strong in the face of mockery. His ability to keep everything fun, and in a fun perspective, never losing sight of the important things in life.

This thread made me cry tonight. It's beautiful to read these stories.

I truly believe that Mika is more than just a musician. More than just a performer. He's got this energy that just reaches out and embraces you, and fills you with this unconditional love. He's taken the adversity in his life, and turned it into something absolutely miraculous, and is sharing it with the world. What bravery.

He seems to be taking all this in stride, and I salute him!!

Hats off to you, Mika!!! Or maybe...HATS ON!! cause...well..hats are fun :)

I found out about Mika over a year ago. January of 2007- and I think I saw him on Perez, then googled him. Either that, or I found out about him from myspace, don't remember. Anyway I live in the US and absolutely no one had heard of him at that point- it was pretty fun talking about him all the time to my friends and them being like "WHO??" haha. anyway now most people i know have heard of him at least, and if not, i hum the love today tune to them and then they realize they have heard of him. hahah. how things change in a year! :)

He must be a folk singer. An earthy, bohemian, world-music, hippie folk singer. Complete with rain sticks, ocarinas, wind chimes, pan flutes and bongos. Barefooted too. :mf_rosetinted:

LOL - reading that story made me giggle just like when you told me in person. Reading it doesn't do it justice. Seriously, record yourself telling that story and post it on YouTube. :lmao:

I first heard Mika on May 12, 2007. :wub2:

I was early to a movie theatre to catch Spiderman 3, which is noteworthy since I'm NEVER early to movies.

They played the full length Grace Kelly video before the trailers began. I remember it like it was five minutes ago. I was watching the video, and I distinctly remember thinking "this is a bit weird...this is quite catchy...this is actually rather awesome!" Actually, it sounded a bit familiar. I've wondered if that was just a coincidence, or if he really had temporarily gotten some radio play here (he hasn't really since).

I downloaded Grace Kelly from iTunes that night, having spent most of the movie thinking about those three minutes of Mika.

Fast forward to Friday, May 25th. I was online, and I opened iTunes and played my recent purchases. After Grace Kelly came on, I went onto the store and listened to the snippets of other tracks. I then went over to YouTube and listened to full versions (thank you, YouTube!)

Then I ended up obsessively watching live performances and interviews - these two were first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FvseXhJSrE

I remember being obsessed 1) with figuring out if he was lip-synching, and 2) with the line "I could be hurtful, I could be purple". I watched that line over and over again. :blush-anim-cl:

On Monday the 28th I went to London Drugs to buy the CD, and when they didn't have it, I was pissed off and went to Music World to get it. :roftl:

On Tuesday the 29th, my fiance left for a business trip. That night, I stayed up until around 3am searching YouTube for videos. That same night, I thought "this guy is amazing - I have to join his fanclub." And I found MFC. :wub2:

With Andrew out of town, I spent the rest of that week on here - no cooking, cleaning, nothing. I barely ate. It was bliss. By the end of it I was making Mika wallpaper and writing bad Mika poetry. :blush-anim-cl:

I realize that's far too much boring detail, but I kind of enjoyed my trip down memory lane...sigh. Almost a year ago already...

I was hunched over my text books practically in tears when I heard this little jingle coming from the TV...

I looked up, saw him...and walked to the screen smiling ear to ear

... My life changed in a single second. I understood that it was all SERENDIPITY... ME & MY ANTHEM, ME AND MY HERO:wub2: