How did you first hear about Mika?

Satya82

Mine was in late Feb of 2007 when I was at a cafe and someone was playing his music on an ipod over the PA! it was like OMG OMG OMG! what is that???

could not get my mind over it for days! I said its like the Beatles...it was Grace Kelly I think and then Any Other World me thinks! then months later I saw him on the cover of Out magazine and then went to a movie and they played LOVE TODAY as a video before the movie and I stared with my mouth open "WHAT IT **** WAS THAT!" I was astonished and I bought his CD ( I remember the day buying it ! I was sooo excited!) I listened to it and it was like a I HAD A seizure! I couldn't stop screaming and shaking and trembling and I lost a few seconds of conciousness and Ritchie thought something was wrong! I SAID NO!!!!!!!! LISTEN TO THIS MUSIC! my arms tingled! Ritch said his hairs on his arms stood up and I felt a jolt of energy go up my spine!

Then I was totally hooked by July 2007 ever since!

woow!:punk: :punk:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL that must've been quite the musical epiphany.

oh yes......that is how I know if I like the music...I start to feel interesting sensations, begin to cry , feel like a I can't breath and lose control of my legs.

Being a sensitive musician as myself, I know when something is good. The last time I thought something was really good was some church music about 3 years before ( its called Vision music of Hildebrand von Bingen...cathedral music of early Germany) I do have a theory about MIKA but people might commit me if I tell them what I think ....( I might tell some of you sometime)

Grace Kelly was on some girl's profile (who I absolutely can't stand) and I'd muted it about fifty times before I actually heard it, and i only heard it cos my computer was being so damn slow so the player hadn't loaded enough for me to be able to stop it, then a few days later, I went down to the first HMV thing and I fell in love.

That's my story.

I saw Grace Kelly on MTV and whenever it came on I became really happy and cheery but I never really payed attention to the name of the singer. And it was after the summer.. but before school.. (I hate that time of year especially when all your friends are still on vacation.) But I had one friend who was allready back and she started singing Grace Kelly on the phone.. and I started singing with her! And she was like "you know mika?!" And turns out her mum had the album and a bit after that.. I was in the car with her and her mum and I heard the whole album.. then I was obsessed with his interviews on youtube and I stumbled on to a video about MFC..:wub2: but later on my friend wasn't as much of a fan as I am now, out of all my friends she actually makes fun of me the most about my mika thing:bleh:

I was at a friends place, last august and we were tidying her room. So she put on a compilation CD (So-fresh or something like that...)

and the third or so song that played was Grace Kelly. I didn't pay much attention, but the song seemed to stick in my head, and by the end of the day, I had to ask her what 'that song' was. And she told me.

I thought it sounded pretty cool, and I was considering using it for the slideshow that I make for my pony club at the end of each year. So I went home, got straight onto google, and it went from there!

The irony in this story is that the particular friend who introduced me happens to like Mika the least out of all my friends... and without her, I'd have never discovered this wonderful music.

(oh, and in case you were wondering, I didn't end up using Grace Kelly in my slideshow. I used Love Today and Lollipop instead. I wanted to use it as well, but I couldn't get it to fit with the other music I had... =( )

I saw Grace Kelly in The Voice last summer (I think it was late May or early June). At first I didn't like it that much but I kept hearing it every time I watched the Voice and began to love it. :wub2:

Then I listened to some of his songs in the internet, fell in love and got LICM in June.

Wel, I had English MTV at my tv, and in the UK they are a lot earlier with releasing music (plus that he lives there:naughty: ) and I love music, so I was watching because I wanted new music, and there it was: Grace Kelly:naughty: It was at the end of january 2007 I think. I listened to it on youtube and noticed he had done some interviews, so I watched those, and discovered he was actually really cute and funny and smart, and I discovered the rest of LICM. First I didn't like the whole cd, but I listened it more and more and loved it. Then I made an account on Mikasounds forum, but I didn't do much with it (I don't like forums), and forgot the password and username and never looked it up. But then I discovered the MFC, and I read everything from then (I think it was march or something) but didn't want to make an account. In july I decided to make one. That was my Mika-discover-history-thing:naughty:

I can’t remember when I discovered Grace Kelly. But I probably discovered the song on the internet, since I’m always looking for music on the internet. I do remember, that my first reaction was like Omg, what is this? A few days later I was at a friend of mine who played Grace Kelly a few times. I loved it.

In the summer I was bored and hoping for nice songs. So I decided to search for Mika on youtube. I listened to all his songs and I was immediately addicted.:naughty: I watched some interviews too. And I really liked Mika. He seemed very kind, funny etc. to me. I googled him also and found the Mikasounds forum and MFC. Joined Mikasounds, but not MFC uptil a month ago. Have been here though since 3 months, I think.

The first time i heard mika was around mid-march of last year.. it was the first time they passed grace kelly on the music channel here in montreal.. and I loveeed the song... then, when the song finished I switched to the other music channel.. and here he was getting interviewed.. in french:mf_lustslow: ... at first, i didn't think it was him because i didn't know he could speak french soo well.... but when the presenter said his name.. I got sooo excited...fell in love.:wub2: ... and spent all the evening watching videos on youtube.. next day, went to buy his cd.. looved it and didn't stop listening to it ever since.. . but the most disappointing thing was that I discovered him like almost two days after he came to the club soda here so I was extremely sad that I missed him... but he came back.. and now I'm happy....and I finnnnallly decided to join here... so I'm even more happy...<

that's my mikastory!!:punk:

Hmm...

I remember one day (how long ago, I can't remember) I stayed home from school because I was incredibly sick. I was flipping through the channels. I stopped on Much Music or Much More Music, I can't really remember, and the Grace Kelly video was on. It seriously just cheered me up so much. I HAD to know more about this guy. It just so happens pretty much the next day Perez had something about him and I got so excited. So that weekend I went to HMV and picked up his CD. So far one of the best CD's I've gotten to this day.

Like a number of people here, I first saw Mika when he appeared on "So You Think You Can Dance." Can I admit something? He performed "Love Today" and I was like "Yuk" and I thought he was very weird in his movements and much too skinny and nerdy. (Runs and hides, but it's true). It was only when they showed a closeup of his face that I was like :shocked: Something about that face!!!

Next day, checked out Utube and as fate would have it, first thing I pulled up was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lXAK3Aj7iQ

I was like :mf_lustslow: :mf_lustslow:

This is the same guy???

It has been :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: ever since. Hours and hours of obsession and devotion. All due to a face.

oooo...adtunes.com what kind of website is that? Does it tell you the songs to commercials? **gonna go check it out now!!**

ok, just went to check out the website, I'm gonna be going to that more often, I always hear good commercial songs!! Thanks for mentioning it!

Oh and I found the thread about that commercial we saw...it looks like it was MTVs Monday night line up...I was close!

Yup! I used to go on that site all the time, but then I started recognizing practically every song used in their commercials, so I stopped.:naughty:

Monday night! You were so close!

next day, went to buy his cd.. looved it and didn't stop listening to it ever since.. . but the most disappointing thing was that I discovered him like almost two days after he came to the club soda here so I was extremely sad that I missed him...

It'S almost the same thing for me (for the Club Soda show!) I heard about Mika a few days before, and at first I didn't like Grace Kelly so much... so I thought Who would go see his show? But then I learned all the lyrics of Grace Kelly, listening to CKOI station in Montréal, then it was the same for Love Today. I didn't notice at this point but I was becoming a fan... Then the Relax single was released and I bought the CD (in August), thinking that if I liked the 3 first singles, I would probably like the album! I couldn't be so right! Oh my God, I fell in love with that CD! I liked all the songs at the first listen. Well Mika is my favourite singer by now... I have never been a groupie in my life, since the show he made in January! NOw I have regrets for the Club SOda and what I thought hihihi! Love him:mf_lustslow:

I first heard about Mika in September/October 2006 when Lucio on Hit40Uk (UK chart show) played Grace Kelly after the number 1. I had forgot his name but it wasn't till around the new year 2006/2007 that I found out who he was. I've been a fan since I first heard Grace Kelly.

Okay, our first experience was, I would say in April of 2007. We don't watch MTV that much but we had flipped it on there one afternoon and heard Doom Da Da Dee Da Dee in the background of an ad (maybe something about Jennifer Lopez dance something or other) and we loved that little tune! We were like okay how on earth would we know what song that was from.

So we let it pass until we saw on TV a Verizon Wireless Cell Phone commercial and it had Love Today playing and at the bottom of the screen was "Love Today" by MIKA! We raced up to the computer, loaded iTunes and downloaded that song and completely fell in love with it.

Later on in May we bought LICM at a Barns & Noble book and music store and fell in love with all his other songs, including head over heels with Grace Kelly! And we haden't even seen Mika before but fell in love with him! After that we got an account on the MFC, but didn't post very much until a couple months later. Now we come on here at least 10 times a day and have done so many projects and have made so many friends. We also saw Mika a couple days after our birthday of July 20th on So You Think You Can Dance singing Love Today and that was our first experience of seeing him on stage singing in person, it was awesome. So Love Today will always be one of our favorite Mika songs because that is what made us love him. AND....how would we know that we would see Mr. Doom Da Da Dee Da Dee not more than a year after we heard that faint little commercial on MTV!

Love the slightly obsessed:

Meyer Twins

I first heard about mika about a year ago. My friend had a blog and she had Grace Kelly playing on it. I asked her who it was and she told me, so for about a week I was obsessed with just that song but then I sorta forgot about it. Well, a few weeks ago I heard it again on American Idol and decided to watch the music video on youtube. Of course, it snowballed from there and I began watching every video I could find of him and now, I'm here!!! I'm OBSESSED. :mf_lustslow:

I first heard of Mika in Feb 2007...a year ago. I was kinda depressed so I just switched on the tv and started flipping through some music channels. First I listened to VH1 for a while, because they had this song that I completely love..then the next song sucked, and it was the same for all the other channels. I rarely ever watch MTV, but just because there was nothing else, I got to it, and it was some count down show..oh yeah...the Euro top 20. When I got to MTV, it was the 2nd top song, and it was Avril's "Girlfriend", which I HATE, and I was about to turn off the tv. But luckily, fate intervened, and my mom called me downstairs. After 2 minutes, I made my way back upstairs and "Girlfriend" was just about to end. I was anxious to see who was number 1, so I continued watching. And thank god for that.

The number 1 song was.....you guessed it!! "Grace Kelly"!!!:punk:

The first thing that caught my attention was Mika. I have never seen anyone who reminded me of myself as much as he does!! So first it was him, and then the song started. The moment the song started, my life changed forever. I was in such a state of amazement, I couldn't believe my eyes or my ears!! I've never ever heard anything like him before, and I've never ever seen anyone like him before, AND I've never ever been sooo addicted to someone as much as I am with him before!!! The moment the song ended, I RAN to the computer, opened up itunes, typed in his name (which I LOVED!!), and all his available songs came up and I downloaded each and every single one. Ever since then, life suddenly got soooo much better!! Love you, Mika!:wub2::blush-anim-cl:

As for the MFC, I never actually knew it existed until after my first Mika gig, which explains why I was 9 months late here! :bleh:

I'm a Franz fan, and well to be honest ever since I was about six I've only ever been into one band or artist at a time.

So when I decide I like a band, that band or artist pretty much has to split up before I'll move onto someone else. Always has been that way. Have no idea why. I just don't normally cheat on my bands :roftl:

Well until now that is.

Still am a huge Franz fan, love em' to bits. Heard Grace Kelly early January on the radio. Never heard who it was by though. Just kept hearing that damn chorus all the time and would find myself singing it.

A friend of mine who knows I like the Scissor Sisters, told me to check out this guy called Mika (this was in February) - he had a song called Grace Kelly.

Downloaded that song off of the net, and at the same time, realised while I was searching for Mika that he had an album called Life In Cartoon Motion available to download as well.

Listened to Grace Kelly first - realised finally it was that damn song. Didn't really pay much attention to the album. Or even listen to it properly.

I play all my music on Random on Windows Media Player. Have 1,000's of songs on it. So occasionally it would play a Mika song - except I didn't know it was a Mika song.

The first song that I kept going back to play when it used to come up on Random was Any Other World. Didn't realise it was Mika at first. Just thought it was completely beautiful. Loved the voice. Played it on repeat constantly - this must have been about summertime I guess.

Finally decided one day to see who sang Any Other World when It came on Random again one day. Realised it was Mika.

Found Life In Cartoon Motion in amongst all my Computer Files. It got abit lost. Haven't stopped listening to it since. Really really weird way to get into Mika considering I've been listening to him since January, but there you go.

Anyway still wasn't Mika obsessed. Then he released Happy Ending. They played it constantly on the radio, and It's been a firm favourite of mine since about the time I finally listened to that damn album in it's entire brilliantness.

I watched the video for Happy Ending on YouTube. This was actually the first time I'd actually seen what he looked like. And well he looks so damn lovely in it - doesn't he... :mf_lustslow:

Thought he was abit cute. Liked the hair, but the voice, amazing.

Started watching more and more YouTube vids, still not converted completely.

Still firmly a Franz Fan.

Christmas hits, get loads of money for it. Go to Morrison's to see if there's anything out on DVD I can buy. Stupidly buy Live In Cartoon Motion.

Been here ever since.

If Franz and Mika do gigs this year - my wallet is gonna cry. :roftl:

Sorry it's abit longwinded but it's just a strange way to get into a guy me thinks.... or it is for me ... :wub2:

I found out about him from Brian May's website. Someone sent him a letter telling him to listen to this guy named Mika who sounded like Freddie. I decided to be the judge of that and I instantly fell in love. If you check the 2nd to last page of his Myspace comments, you'll see that I left him a comment on July 17, 2006 (or something like that) :naughty: I didn't become obsessed until March though:blush-anim-cl:

:shocked: OMG! Really?

That was exactly like me (a friend of mine saw it on Bri's website, actually...But it's the same thing!)! And I sent him a message on July 18th! :shocked::roftl:

The only difference it's that by Christmas (2006) I was already obsessed! :blush-anim-cl:

Thank you all for posting!!! It's so cool to read how many different ways people found out about Mika. A lot of the time, it seems like you were in the right place at the right time--just stumbled onto a webpage or flipped the TV to a station at the right time. Why couldn't I have done that earlier last year?

But (random thought here) I remember the day I first heard LICM I was at work, and we played the CD over the loudspeakers, and I was SO in love with it that I bought the CD. I was already in love with the songs and the voice, but I remember thinking, "Oh God, I bet he's weird looking. Because it would be just TOO good to be true for him to sound that amazing and be good looking. But low and behold, I open the CD, and saw that picture of him on the back cover and thought "Holy sh*t he's beautiful!" Then I went to YouTube, and it was ALL over after I saw my first Mika interview. What a charming, gorgeous, talented human being. :mf_lustslow:

I found out about him from Brian May's website. Someone sent him a letter telling him to listen to this guy named Mika who sounded like Freddie. I decided to be the judge of that and I instantly fell in love. If you check the 2nd to last page of his Myspace comments, you'll see that I left him a comment on July 17, 2006 (or something like that) :naughty: I didn't become obsessed until March though:blush-anim-cl:

So you heard about him in July of 2006?! Whoa! When did "Grace Kelly" and "Love Today" start getting radio airplay? (When did Mika film the "Grace Kelly" music video?) When did Mika actually finish recording LICM? :shocked:

My first exposure to MIKA was this . . . .

Then, one thing led to another and

then I took the inevitable "Self-guided MIKA 101 Tour!"

I'm not gonna lie...that video kind of scares me. :naughty: But what a wild way to first hear Mika!

So....imagine my surprise when I finally looked him up on YouTube in May, and watched the Grace Kelly video for the first time. I was like "WTF????? Where's the folk music???!!! The rainsticks???!!!" It turns out that I had him all wrong, and that he was not really a folk musician. Anyway, I liked what I heard, and I was hooked. I knew instantly that he was a legend in the making. He reminded of a young Elton John, someone far more talented than he was letting on, and destined for greatness. Needless to say, my second impression was FAR more accurate than my first. :naughty:

DaMango, that is SO funny. And who knew you'd go from wondering where his rainsticks are, to HIM knowing that YOU sing?! Cool. :mf_rosetinted:

oh yes......that is how I know if I like the music...I start to feel interesting sensations, begin to cry , feel like a I can't breath and lose control of my legs.

Being a sensitive musician as myself, I know when something is good. The last time I thought something was really good was some church music about 3 years before ( its called Vision music of Hildebrand von Bingen...cathedral music of early Germany) I do have a theory about MIKA but people might commit me if I tell them what I think ....( I might tell some of you sometime)

I'm totally intrigued. Do tell. :thumb_yello:

I heard Grace Kelly about a year ago, lying in the hospital and feeling very sad. But that song cheered me up! I started to find out some more about Mika, and soon I was addicted to him. And I still am! :blush-anim-cl:

Awww, you found his music just when you needed it! Hope you're well now. :thumb_yello:

Next day, checked out Utube and as fate would have it, first thing I pulled up was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lXAK3Aj7iQ

I was like :mf_lustslow: :mf_lustslow:

This is the same guy???

Haha, your first impression is funny. And funny how first impressions can change so much. And that interview is one of my VERY favorites, and I don't speak French! :naughty: I just LOVE how he says "Oui." :wub2:

hahaha went from like zero to OBSESSION in like less than a month

SAME HERE! It was instantaneous obsession.

I think it's just amazing that some people were already fans in 2006. Another reason why I should move to the UK, lol.