How did you first hear about Mika?

Satya82

I'm just intrigued by how long some people have been Mika fans. I know LICM came out in early 2007, but some people on the MFC have said they first saw him back in 2006! How did you hear about him when the album wasn't even released yet? When did he start playing shows? (I think I remember him saying he started doing promo in 2006...is that how you first saw him?)

I feel like such a newbie, since I only heard his music for the first time last December. But NO ONE played him on the radio, none of my friends listened to him, he hadn't done a lot of touring here sooo...*shrugs* Thank God my sister's friend gave her "Grace Kelly" and "Love Today" so I could finally hear him. I wish I could have been around last year for all of the shows, excitement, MFC coolness, etc., but better late than never I suppose?

By the way, if this topic has already been discussed, feel free to lead me to an appropriate thread. :mf_rosetinted:

EDIT: Oops, this should really go into the Mika Chat or something. How do I move it??

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I started listening to Grace Kelly because of Perez, that was probably last spring or so. I kept up with the singles and news through the internet and bought the cd.

I really liked him, but I didn't have this addiction till I bought the DVD in december.

Now I am hopeless. :wub2:

I was lucky Satya82...that a Toronto radio station played "Grace Kelly" even when the album wasn't released yet (November 2006) while I was in 7 minute car ride. I think the DJ took a risk and it worked.

Had it not played that night, I would have never had the curiosity to "Google" the song on the radio, to find the artist behind the song and start this crazy, journey of being borderline fanatic over a pop-star and drive my family insane and have my friends question my sanity, spend inordinate amounts of money to travel to different countries just to watch his concerts (especially when I never watched any concerts before) and spend all my free time and unfree time on the internet chatting with wonderful people all over the world on a forum (which I never did in my life) and create a MySpace account and so on and so on... :roftl:

Perez Hilton featured him on his site sometime in the fall of 2006 - he played Grace Kelly and I was instantly SMITTEN!!!! :wub2::blush-anim-cl: That was 'way before anyone in North America had ever heard of him or anything was released. I've got to give props to Perezo - he has impeccable taste in music and has launched a few really solid musical careers.:punk: In any case, I was a very early fan - people thought I was nuts when I danced down the street and sang along to those first couple of released singles (GK, LT!) And the obsession continues to explode exponentially!:mf_lustslow:

I heard about him through a friend of mine. He told me that Mika was getting lots of comparisons to Freddie Mercury, so being the avid Queen fan I had to check it out...

...I loved him as soon as I watched the Grace Kelly video....not because he reminded me anything of Queen (it was a plus, though), but simply because I felt disoriented when I heard that lovely chorus....

:)

I first heard him on some MTV ads for shows like Laguna Beach and The Hills. In the background, they played the "doom, di da di da di, doom, di da di da di..." from 'Love Today' and I thought it was a girl.:naughty: So I looked it up online and everyone was saying "Who's that girl singing in the background of those MTV commercials?" LMAO.

Then I lost interest, but about a month later (this had to be around February or March) I went to my friend's MySpace page. He's in a band, and I'm the PA Street Team leader for it, so he usually has good music on his page. Anyway, I heard it and I was like "Who's Mika? I've never heard of them." because I forgot all about those ads.

Then I started listening to it, and my friend Ian had 'Lollipop' on his page. About two months later I joined the fanclub.:naughty:

I found out about him from Brian May's website. Someone sent him a letter telling him to listen to this guy named Mika who sounded like Freddie. I decided to be the judge of that and I instantly fell in love. If you check the 2nd to last page of his Myspace comments, you'll see that I left him a comment on July 17, 2006 (or something like that) :naughty: I didn't become obsessed until March though:blush-anim-cl:

I heard him on a ring tone ad... I didn't like GK at firest, was a little too poppy for me... then it grew on me... and my sister downloaded it and liked it... so I did too...

I was lucky too Suzy... i joined a few days before I found out that Mika was coming to Oz... and (with the exception of a few mental health breaks)I haven't left...

I first heard him on u choose40 And grace kelly was on And i told my Sister to look at him he looks weird And i seen GK Again and something about him just pulled me in i felt different And i thought the song was Alrite then i seen big girl and i fell in love with him Now i hav 2 listen to him everyday or i go insane ....:wub2:

I first heard him on some MTV ads for shows like Laguna Beach and The Hills. In the background, they played the "doom, di da di da di, doom, di da di da di..." from 'Love Today' and I thought it was a girl.:naughty: So I looked it up online and everyone was saying "Who's that girl singing in the background of those MTV commercials?" LMAO.

Then I lost interest, but about a month later (this had to be around February or March) I went to my friend's MySpace page. He's in a band, and I'm the PA Street Team leader for it, so he usually has good music on his page. Anyway, I heard it and I was like "Who's Mika? I've never heard of them." because I forgot all about those ads.

Then I started listening to it, and my friend Ian had 'Lollipop' on his page. About two months later I joined the fanclub.:naughty:

That's where I first heard him too!! :thumb_yello: I think the commercial was for the Hills, maybe their Tuesday night line up. I really wanted to know the name of the song, but b/c they didn't play any of the words (just the doom da da di di di) I thought I'd never find out.

I later saw commercials for Mika's album selling at Target and Love Today on a verizon commercial....and then went searching on you tube!! Thank goodness for TV or I would have never heard of him!!

I love hearing how everyone first heard of him! Everyone has such a different story, its awesome!:mf_rosetinted:

I was driving home last March when I first heard GK on the radio...I didn't think too much of it at first...but it grew on me so much, that the day it dawned on me I loved it, I was attempting to sing along while driving and did not know the words...and ran a stop sign, causing this guy to flip out at me! :naughty: But a few weeks later I had his CD and every song memorized and the rest is history...

That's where I first heard him too!! :thumb_yello:I think the commercial was for the Hills, maybe their Tuesday night line up. I really wanted to know the name of the song, but b/c they didn't play any of the words (just the doom da da di di di) I thought I'd never find out.

I later saw commercials for Mika's album selling at Target and Love Today on a verizon commercial....and then went searching on you tube!! Thank goodness for TV or I would have never heard of him!!

I love hearing how everyone first heard of him! Everyone has such a different story, its awesome!:mf_rosetinted:

I think you're right!

I was convinced it was a woman, though.:naughty:

hehe, I didn't even know if it was an actual song!! I thought MTV came up with their own cool beat or something!

Me too! That's why I didn't look for so long. Then I searched through adtunes.com and found it, I think. I looked for it on there just now, but they must have removed it after the found out.:thumbdown:

for me it was like this... one day after work (on January 18th-22nd 2007 im not sure exactly) i was sitting and surfing the web... than went into a MATCHBOX TWENTY forum where i used to go a lot...

and this girl i know from the forum wrote a thread and the subject was:

"How did i not know about this guys!?"

so i was wondering who she was talking about...and she put a link of GRACE KELLY video...

i clicked play...and it took 3 seconds for me to fall inlove :wub2:

3 seconds! no more! i was like "OMG WHO IS THIS?!?!?!"

and googled him :) than found the MFC lol

that time there were like 5 MIKA YOUTUBES videos :naughty: i remember wanting more!

the next day i went to work and first thing i did was telling my friends "YOU GOT TO HEAR THIS!!!!!!!" i played it over and over all day... ppl wanted to kill me! i was like "its mika!!!" and everyone were like "wHO?!:blink: " so i said "wait and see! he is going to be huge! i know it!'

now all my friends in Israel remember and think about me when they hear mika on the radio lol ;)

Oh my goodness...let's just say that my first impression of Mika was WAY off the mark! LOL!

The first time I had ever read anything about him was on a Prince fansite last Spring. There is a message board for discussing non-Prince music, and a girl posted about Mika's concert/signing at Borders. She included one picture with her post (the one of Mika in the embroidered shirt, standing against the palm tree wallpaper). I felt really bad for her, because a lot of people attacked her post, and threw all kinds of insults at Mika. I hadn't even heard of him, but I thought I'd add some positivity to her thread by saying, "He's good looking..."

I took another look at the picture, gathered what little info I knew about him (He was born in Lebanon, lives in England, his name is MIKA?), and I came to a conclusion. He must be a folk singer. An earthy, bohemian, world-music, hippie folk singer. Complete with rain sticks, ocarinas, wind chimes, pan flutes and bongos. Barefooted too. :mf_rosetinted:

So....imagine my surprise when I finally looked him up on YouTube in May, and watched the Grace Kelly video for the first time. I was like "WTF????? Where's the folk music???!!! The rainsticks???!!!" It turns out that I had him all wrong, and that he was not really a folk musician. Anyway, I liked what I heard, and I was hooked. I knew instantly that he was a legend in the making. He reminded of a young Elton John, someone far more talented than he was letting on, and destined for greatness. Needless to say, my second impression was FAR more accurate than my first. :naughty:

Me too! That's why I didn't look for so long. Then I searched through adtunes.com and found it, I think. I looked for it on there just now, but they must have removed it after the found out.:thumbdown:

oooo...adtunes.com what kind of website is that? Does it tell you the songs to commercials? **gonna go check it out now!!**

ok, just went to check out the website, I'm gonna be going to that more often, I always hear good commercial songs!! Thanks for mentioning it!

Oh and I found the thread about that commercial we saw...it looks like it was MTVs Monday night line up...I was close!

I discovered Mika last Winter. MTV does not play any music except when they are showing new artists at the end of a show. They had the shows credits at the bottom of the screen and Mika's video for "Grace Kelly" took over the top half. In the minute long clip I saw I wasn't very interested, but the song would not leave my mind. I listened to more songs online and went out and got the cd the next day. Been in love ever since.

Now that I've gotten the dvd and saw him in concert, I've become inseperable with my cd.