The Oldlings Part17!!!!!!!!!

Wendi

Hello Oldlings! it's 10:22 am and I have my 3rd of 4 final exams this afternoon, and then I'll be DONE for the year!!! Now I just need to find a job! :)

How are you all?

I am fine thanks!! :) Hope your exam goes ok!!

What kind of job are you looking for?

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Oldlings! it's 10:22 am and I have my 3rd of 4 final exams this afternoon, and then I'll be DONE for the year!!! Now I just need to find a job! :)

How are you all?

Best of Luck to you on exams!!!

nothing exciting here, in fact I may go take a nap before I go to work.

yes, it was a shame, but they didn't have enough tranquilizer darts &

it was so fast. There was video on the news of a police officer walking (towards the camera) down the sidewalk looking left & right, and about 10 feet behind him you can see the cougar run out from an alley and cross the street!

it was big, and there are a lot of little kids in that neighborhood that could've gotten hurt.

there are pictures of it in the paper, it sure was beautiful. it was the first wild one seen here in a century!

I could easily believe a panther could be living in your area, from the pictures I saw. You don't usually get them in a city of 3 million!

Their excuse for not tranquilizing the cougar was that they don't have the expertise and that they might hit a bone instead....that's lame. Poor thing.

Martarano said tranquilizing a cougar requires such specialized knowledge that California runs training sessions on the technique for biologists and wildlife wardens.

"It’s hard to get close enough to get the dart in the right area," said Martarano, who said the darts have no effect if they hit a bone. "It takes a while for the drugs to take effect, and during that period the animal can get agitated. If a lot of people are around, that can cause problems in itself."

if it was hiding under a patio, it should have been ok. anyway, I kind of understand why they had to do what they had to do. Being in the Recreation/Fish/Wildlife program, I understand why they have to cull "problem" animals...but lost ones? Poor thing. I know they were concerned about the people, that an animal loose in a city would be confused, and possibly be aggressive. It still makes me sad.

On another note, they were talking about how they did a necropsy on the cougar...we did a necropsy here at school on 2 cougars and a bear last week, which was...although gross...still amazing :) Can't say as I've ever seen the innards of a cougar or a bear before!

I am fine thanks!! :) Hope your exam goes ok!!

What kind of job are you looking for?

I think it will go wonderfully :) It's my Fish Management exam, which I love, so I'm sure I'll do great :) Tomorrow is my Wildlife Management exam, which I am excited about. My worst test was yesterday, so I'm glad it's over with and I hope I passed :)

I'm hoping to get a job in fish management this year. I'd love to have a job mucking about in streams for the summer! :)

Best of Luck to you on exams!!!

nothing exciting here, in fact I may go take a nap before I go to work.

ooh I love naps :) I'm sitting here in my room, just woke up, listening to a CD that a friend of mine gave me of songs he wants me to learn so we can sing together :)

Thats interesting Crystal! We dissected cows eye balls, and pigs

hearts when I was at school - but they dont do that now.

The only way I would see a cougar or bears insides would be

if they swallowed me!! :roftl:

Thats interesting Crystal! We dissected cows eye balls, and pigs

hearts when I was at school - but they dont do that now.

The only way I would see a cougar or bears insides would be

if they swallowed me!! :roftl:

Yeah we did that at highschool too :) man, that was soooooooooo long ago.

This was way different than anything I did at highschool. These are all animals that had to be put down by the Conservation Officers for one reason or another. The bear we did was just a little bear, like...still a cub :( It's mother had been killed and it was eating garbage and wouldn't stay away after being relocated...so they were forced to shoot it :( But we have a really bad black bear problem here, there are so many of them that it's not financially viable to relocate. Poor little bears.

I've learned so much from this course, I'll never look at wildlife the same again. I don't think I could be a conservation officer, I don't think I could kill the problem animals when it needed to happen. I'm a softie. I'd rather study them than kill them.

Their excuse for not tranquilizing the cougar was that they don't have the expertise and that they might hit a bone instead....that's lame. Poor thing.

Martarano said tranquilizing a cougar requires such specialized knowledge that California runs training sessions on the technique for biologists and wildlife wardens.

"It’s hard to get close enough to get the dart in the right area," said Martarano, who said the darts have no effect if they hit a bone. "It takes a while for the drugs to take effect, and during that period the animal can get agitated. If a lot of people are around, that can cause problems in itself."

if it was hiding under a patio, it should have been ok. anyway, I kind of understand why they had to do what they had to do. Being in the Recreation/Fish/Wildlife program, I understand why they have to cull "problem" animals...but lost ones? Poor thing. I know they were concerned about the people, that an animal loose in a city would be confused, and possibly be aggressive. It still makes me sad.

On another note, they were talking about how they did a necropsy on the cougar...we did a necropsy here at school on 2 cougars and a bear last week, which was...although gross...still amazing :) Can't say as I've ever seen the innards of a cougar or a bear before!

when they finally shot it, some bullets hit the air conditioner & side of this house- the guy inside was giving his baby a bath nearby, his whole family freaked out and hid upstairs, they didn't know what was going on. The bullets could have easily hit his window & gone in.

It was a very close call, amazing noone got hurt as this cougar was being cornered & stalked for about 9 hours before they killed it!

they are checking its DNA.

Last summer, downtown in the BUSIEST part of the whole city, a coyote walked into a sandwich shop, very hot day, they have it on security camera. it just walked in, climbed up into the open refrigerator thing where they had bottles of pop & water & laid down for a rest!

Him, they were able to tranquilize & let him go way out in the suburbs.

when they finally shot it, some bullets hit the air conditioner & side of this house- the guy inside was giving his baby a bath nearby, his whole family freaked out and hid upstairs, they didn't know what was going on. The bullets could have easily hit his window & gone in.

It was a very close call, amazing noone got hurt as this cougar was being cornered & stalked for about 9 hours before they killed it!

they are checking its DNA.

Last summer, downtown in the BUSIEST part of the whole city, a coyote walked into a sandwich shop, very hot day, they have it on security camera. it just walked in, climbed up into the open refrigerator thing where they had bottles of pop & water & laid down for a rest!

Him, they were able to tranquilize & let him go way out in the suburbs.

these kind of things just prove to me that humans are taking up too much room. There is so much urbanization that we are squeezing out the habitat of the animals who have lived here for thousands of years before us. It's so unfair that we are so conceited. Oh I could start a real rant about this..but I think perhaps this is not the proper venue for such a rant LOL

I have a thing about humans LOL

Crystal - I could not kill anything either - not even a spider (but

I do manage to severely stun wasps!!! :sneaky2: )

Leona - I had a mental picture of the coyote feeling too hot, and

just going for a lie down in the cooler - so funny!!!!! :roftl: :roftl:

This was way different than anything I did at highschool. These are all animals that had to be put down by the Conservation Officers for one reason or another. The bear we did was just a little bear, like...still a cub :( It's mother had been killed and it was eating garbage and wouldn't stay away after being relocated...so they were forced to shoot it :( But we have a really bad black bear problem here, there are so many of them that it's not financially viable to relocate. Poor little bears.

I've learned so much from this course, I'll never look at wildlife the same again. I don't think I could be a conservation officer, I don't think I could kill the problem animals when it needed to happen. I'm a softie. I'd rather study them than kill them.

your classes sound very interesting!

I'd have a hard time shooting a problem animal too.

especially a big, BIG kitty cat!

that's exactly what he did! he could have easily jumped over the counter & gobbled down the deli meats, but he just wanted to cool off!

The security camera caught the whole thing, or I wouldn't have believed it.

I can kill wasps or ticks or mosquitos without compunction. They're out for my blood and THEY CAN'T HAVE IT, so it's them or me. Most insects I do not kill though. I remove them from the house and put them outside. I'm the bug remover for the college residence here. If they have a bug, they come get me and I take it out LOL.

But those big showy animals, I don't think I could. If I was really hungry and had to feed myself or my family, I could shoot a deer or an elk, but I couldn't do it unless it was for food. I can go fishing, but I know I will be eating the fish, so I can do it. I just can't kill unjustified. Not just because something is somewhere it's not supposed to be.

your classes sound very interesting!

I'd have a hard time shooting a problem animal too.

especially a big, BIG kitty cat!

yeah :( totally. We have cougars here, and sometimes they have to shoot them because they're a problem. I couldn't do it.

thanks for the link.

boy, you can just find anything in a few seconds,

the internet is spooky sometimes!

I'm going to take a nap now, catch you later!

Catch you later Leona - have a good nap!! :thumb_yello:

thanks for the link.

boy, you can just find anything in a few seconds,

the internet is spooky sometimes!

I'm going to take a nap now, catch you later!

Yep, I love the internet. I can usually confirm or deny or clarify something within moments, thanks to Google!! :)

Thanks for that :)

Yea pretty neat, another story said that the coyote was only about a year and a half old, so not long from it's mother, and probably didn't know how to care for itself properly. They said that it was healthy, probably was just hot and felt the cooler air coming through the open door and thought...hmm....coooooooool.

POST NUMBER 1000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wendi i'm sure you've heard about the thieving seagull from Scotland, right?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/751968/shop_lifting_seagull/

good evening everyone,

if they are culling animals because they are a problem, should do that with some humans, oops you already have the death penalty in America, anyway some criminals deserve it more than, natures animals, who we took their living space.

was that to political?

good evening everyone,

if they are culling animals because they are a problem, should do that with some humans, oops you already have the death penalty in America, anyway some criminals deserve it more than, natures animals, who we took their living space.

was that to political?

Oohhhh baby....are you already married? LOL I'm totally with you there hon. I could go on for hours LOL *hugs*

these kind of things just prove to me that humans are taking up too much room. There is so much urbanization that we are squeezing out the habitat of the animals who have lived here for thousands of years before us. It's so unfair that we are so conceited. Oh I could start a real rant about this..but I think perhaps this is not the proper venue for such a rant LOL

I have a thing about humans LOL

well said I'm with you on that one :thumb_yello: