TENNIS... Rafa Nadal & others, but mostly Rafa!

Well, I started watching tennis 2 years ago, when I was flipping channels and saw somebody bloody gorgeous playing:blush-anim-cl: and well, don't think me shallow because I do like the game... still need to learn all the rules, but I love watching it:wub2:

rafa1.jpg

rafa2.jpg

Does anyone else watch Rafa?... I mean TENNIS?:naughty:

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a tennis fan for as long as I can remember. I got into it because of my eldest sister. We've gone to many professional matches... I've met Andy Roddick twice, Pete Sampras once, and Patrick Rafter once..

It's a fantastic sport and I don't think it gets enough attention in the US. Certainly not as much as Basketball, football, baseball.

I love watching Roddick, Ferrero, and of course Federer.

I've been a tennis fan for as long as I can remember. I got into it because of my eldest sister. We've gone to many professional matches... I've met Andy Roddick twice, Pete Sampras once, and Patrick Rafter once..

It's a fantastic sport and I don't think it gets enough attention in the US. Certainly not as much as Basketball, football, baseball.

aww I bet andy roddick is sweet :D... I love Federer as well:thumb_yello:

I've watched tennis ever since I could remember, especially the championship matches on Sundays. I was always an Andre Agassi and Pete Sampras fan. I was also a pretty big Federer fan until I saw Rafael bet Mariano Puerta in the French Open 3 years ago (right, wasn't it Puerta? I can't believe it was that long ago) Anyway, I took quite a huge interest in him. He was so fierce and competitive, he wouldn't let a single ball go by him without a fight, which he has learned by now that sometimes you just gotta let some balls go. Then the next two years he bet Federer, which Federer still hasn't won the French Open.

The only ever message board I've ever been a part of was vamosrafael.com which I think I've said before. Anyway, that became the official website and it became too constrictive and I didn't like the new rules so I left. But that's besides the point. I was disappointed with how poorly Rafael played in the championship at Miami. Watching the first game, I thought he'd dominate, but that surely wasn't the case. But I will give it to Davydenko, he played really well.

I like how Rafael is evolving into playing well on surfaces. For a while he was just good on clay and now he's quite good on hardcourt and even grass, making it to the Wimbledon championship the past two years against Federer. However, there was no way he was going to be Federer on grass, not then at least, though last year it was a good match. I think he had Federer sweating it out, it went five sets if I remember correctly. He's improved so much as a player, though. His serve has gotten so much better, that was his biggest weakness for a while. I still think it was silly to make a naturally right handed person serve with his left hand, but oh well, that's what happened. Anyway, now his problem is how far back he stands on the baseline, at least a few steps. It causes him problems when he has to run to the net.

Speaking of improving, his English has gotten so good too. I remember he would get really flustered when interviewed in English and always had a translator. At Miami, he spoke quite well and didn't need anyway there. Though, of course, he does stick to generic phrases such as, "He is very good." or "I must play my best match today."

Oh jeez, now I sound like I'm a tennis or Rafael Nadal expert, which clearly I'm not. It's just I've been watching him for the past three years and was a part of his fan club, so I'd hope I know how his game is. :naughty:

I like Roddick a little bit, I wish he'd play a little better, but oh well. His serve is amazing though. I also think James Blake is quite good, especially on hardcourts. I try to support the Americans. :wink2:

Now, I'm a Novak Djokovic fan. He sorta came out of nowhere, and he's really good. Plus, he's still very young, only like 20.

Tennis is probably the only sport I'm a huge fan of that I don't play, but I understand the rules well enough though, you kinda have you if you watch it all the time like I do. :naughty:

I think it got quite a bit of attention when Roddick was doing really well, and even when the Williams sisters win things. I just think that maybe since it's an international sport and the U.S. doesn't dominate, then the U.S. doesn't care, which is clearly the wrong mindset.

Well, I started watching tennis 2 years ago, when I was flipping channels and saw somebody bloody gorgeous playing:blush-anim-cl: and well, don't think me shallow because I do like the game... still need to learn all the rules, but I love watching it:wub2:

rafa1.jpg

rafa2.jpg

I love the Tenis!! I start looking And i've been following his career for 7 years. He is so cute!!! :wub2:

and there one pic of Mika that remind me of Rafa NAdal!!!!

Could be, Kourtney. I find it very frustrating. Especially when Wimbledon is on and ESPN airs some other sport instead.

I know. Sorta like soccer (or football as everyone else in the world calls it). Even though the whole world plays it, the U.S. isn't interested so the U.S. doesn't care.

Also, a little off topic. I remember when they were playing the NCAA basketball tournament last month, the men would be on CBS while the women would get stuck on ESPN2, not even ESPN. They played the NIT men's tournament on ESPN, which consists of the teams that weren't good enough to make the NCAA tournament or they'd play the World Series of Poker, which isn't even a sport! It's a huge pet peeve of mine.

I watch tennis when I have the time .. Love Roddick :wub2:

First saw him in that quarterfinal of the Australian Open, against El Anouyi (don't know how to write that name :roftl:) .. 21-19 in the fifth set .. What a match..

So now I follow him when I can .. But it's not that I'm a huge tennis-fan orso, don't watch all the matches they show (mostly the women..) ...

• 2 months later...

Rafael's a badass. :wub2:

He had me sweating it out though. Jeez, I started watching the match at 9 AM, and it didn't get over 'til around 4:30 PM. My whole family was watching it. I've converted them all to be Rafa fans. I had my mom jumping up and down, screaming when he won.

I think Federer is obviously a great tennis player but I am SO GLAD he finally lost besides the fact that I am a huge Rafa fan. I think some of Roger's true colors came out during the match. I know he's well-known as a classy guy which I still believe he mostly is, but is it really that hard to be a class act when you're constantly kicking everyone else's butt? I've noticed just in the matches versus Rafael, Roger can get a little heated, which, granted, a lot of tennis players do. However, I was put off when he yelled at the crowd to "Shut up!" because they ooed and awwed during a point. I may be biased because I play sports where the crowd purposely makes noise to distract you (like while shooting a free throw in basketball) or even when the other team tries to distract you (chanting while you're up to bat in softball) Anyway,I don't remember Rafa ever complaining about a crowd being too loud. Also, when Roger started complaining about Rafa taking too long to serve. I'd have to agree with him but I also have to agree with John McEnroe when John said that then Rafa was serving for the second set isn't the time to starting complaining about it/correcting Rafa.

Anyway, I am really happy for Rafael. I think he even started crying a bit when he was sitting down after the match. You could tell how much he wanted it. Also, his English is so much better, I could almost understand everything he was saying. However, I do think he gave a shout out to his girlfriend but I'm not sure. I thought I heard her name and then they cut to his parents and his mom looked really surprised and looked over to where Rafa pointed out that his other family members were. I'm not for sure on that though. He is a very private person. Though, I have seen pictures of her. She's gorgeous.

RafaafterwinningWimbledon.jpg

RafaWimbledonTrophy.jpg

RafabitingWimbledonTrophy.jpg

Rafael's a badass. :wub2:

He had me sweating it out though. Jeez, I started watching the match at 9 AM, and it didn't get over 'til around 4:30 PM. My whole family was watching it. I've converted them all to be Rafa fans. I had my mom jumping up and down, screaming when he won.

I think Federer is obviously a great tennis player but I am SO GLAD he finally lost besides the fact that I am a huge Rafa fan. I think some of Roger's true colors came out during the match. I know he's well-known as a classy guy which I still believe he mostly is, but is it really that hard to be a class act when you're constantly kicking everyone else's butt? I've noticed just in the matches versus Rafael, Roger can get a little heated, which, granted, a lot of tennis players do. However, I was put off when he yelled at the crowd to "Shut up!" because they ooed and awwed during a point. I may be biased because I play sports where the crowd purposely makes noise to distract you (like while shooting a free throw in basketball) or even when the other team tries to distract you (chanting while you're up to bat in softball) Anyway,I don't remember Rafa ever complaining about a crowd being too loud. Also, when Roger started complaining about Rafa taking too long to serve. I'd have to agree with him but I also have to agree with John McEnroe when John said that then Rafa was serving for the second set isn't the time to starting complaining about it/correcting Rafa.

Anyway, I am really happy for Rafael. I think he even started crying a bit when he was sitting down after the match. You could tell how much he wanted it. Also, his English is so much better, I could almost understand everything he was saying. However, I do think he gave a shout out to his girlfriend but I'm not sure. I thought I heard her name and then they cut to his parents and his mom looked really surprised and looked over to where Rafa pointed out that his other family members were. I'm not for sure on that though. He is a very private person. Though, I have seen pictures of her. She's gorgeous.

RafaafterwinningWimbledon.jpg

RafaWimbledonTrophy.jpg

RafabitingWimbledonTrophy.jpg

Oh hell yes Rafa:punk: Only 22 too... what a guy! His girlfriend is good Spanish stock :)... I like her, she seems cool.

I'm proud of the fella:blush-anim-cl:

OMG a Nadal thread:mf_lustslow: well, i must say i'm not a big tennis fan. but ytd's final was exciting n fantastic enough for me to scream for both men!!!!:thumb_yello: my heart kept leaping up n down throughout the whole match~~~~~ somwhow it gave me an Olympic feeling lol

u know what? here in Hong Kong,, i watched the match till 4 o'clock sth in the MORNING!!!!!! juz slept for 2.5 hours n then went to scl:hypo: anyway,, it deserves:punk:

i guess i must hv a rest now =P

rafa1.jpg

rafa2.jpg

Is it strange that when I hear someone refer to that Rafa *points up* I think of the Raffa that jumps out of the nipple cake in Love Today? :blink:

YES!!!

did you know Rafa has been voted 'best male arms in the world'??? - that doesnt surprise me at all!!! - very delish arms!

did you watch the final - omg it was bloody amazing!!!!!

Really? He does have nice arms...particularly his left one. However, his left arm quite a bit bigger than his right.

Oh no Mel, it's ALL about the Croat player, Mario Ancic! :wub2::mf_lustslow::stretcher:

http://www. yonex. com/img/advisory_staff/mario_ancic. png

haha, the placement of the tennis racket made me giggle xD

http://freenet-homepage. de/marioancic/galerija/gross/47. jpg

he looks cute here :)

http://uk. eurosport. yahoo. com/02072008/5/photo/croatia-s-mario-ancic-reacts-during-men

-s-singles-quarterfinal. html

http://uk. eurosport. yahoo. com/080702/59/12xuz. html

God of the world?

http://uk. eurosport. yahoo. com/080702/2/12xa6. html

he's 6"5 and 24 =]

I have to say that I don't watch tennis a lot.

Nor do I understand all the rules. I mean why do they go from 15 to 30 to 40? Where's that other 5?:roftl: I've taught myself the rules of baseball siply by watching it but tennis- I don't watch as much (not that I'm a basball freak) and perhaps I should hehe

But when I flip through channels and see Rafael Nadal playing...I watch (I wonder why?)hehe

When Wimbolden happened this past week I missed the ending part of it but saw it on the sports highlights just after (so not a problem for missing it I guess). I was REALLY touched Nadal won!!! When he dropped to the ground- that image...it gave me goosbumps because I can only imagine how HAPPY he was!!! The only thing was- someone raised their hands and clapped and it blocked part of the moment. Why position someone near a camera if you know there's a chance of them blocking the view?:roftl: Oh well hehehe:roftl:

Also...here's a recap of a conversation of mine when the highlights of Nadal getting the throphy was on:

Mom: Where's he from?

Me: Spain.

Mom: He's kind of cute

Me: *giggles

• 4 weeks later...

Soooo thought I add that there may be a new number 1 in tennis and of course that'd be Rafa. Roger lost the other day to some 16th seed...Karlovic or something like that. I watched the first set and couldn't believe he lost and then started watching it again and really couldn't believe he lost the match. Anyway, ESPN said that if Rafa wins Cincinnati he could very well be number 1. I've been waiting three years for him to be number 1 and will be very excited when he gets it. :wub2::thumb_yello:

EDIT: So I figured I should put a picture...

RAFA.jpg

This sounds so shallow, but he makes me proud to say I've got spanish blood:naughty: and lots of it...mmmm

that boy is...beautiful

One time, I've never talked about it...it happend a year and a half ago...on his official myspace, when he ran it I messaged him something pretty cool... I was like, "Rafa, you are the Spanish Bull who will dominate its prey...bla bla bla" and he responded

"Gracias! You aprecio mucho :)"

Which means, " Thanks! I really appreciate that!"

Small message, packed powerful punch. And now, he's hardly ever online lol