Freddies English Teaching Course

great thread!

something i find really difficult is the difference between past simple and present perfect.

yesterday i was watching pirates of the carribbean 2 :), and Barbossa said to jack sparrow:

you shot me

why is it 'shot' and not 'have shot'?

great thread!

something i find really difficult is the difference between past simple and present perfect.

yesterday i was watching pirates of the carribbean 2 :), and Barbossa said to jack sparrow:

you shot me

This is really hard to explain in a foreign language but I’ll give it a try:

The verb shoot is an irregular verb, the same form in, Simple past and Past Participle, Shoot (Infinitive) shot, shot.

http://www.fortunecity.com/bally/durrus/153/gramirr.html

Good luck!:wink2:

great thread!

you shot me

I guess it's just because the speaker thought that the action had finished. :confused: Past simple: the action is over.

It depends on the situation, though.

At 10 p.m. I can say both:

today I had a bad day

and

today I've had a bad day

It's one of the most difficult grammar points to explain. :boxed:

Hope that helped :dunno::naughty:

Yes it did :thumb_yello:

1) at an open door (I was a boy at an open door. Why are you staring? Do you still think that you know? from "We are golden")
Well since Mika wrote the lyrics, we can't know for sure what he meant

So it's a "Mika-phrase" and is not a common phrase in English.

closet door.

Okay :teehee: If it was meant so or not - I like this interpretation :biggrin2:

2) tripping over (And I'm dreaming I'm tripping over you from "I see you")

Well he's upset because this person will never love him back, so therefore that would require a negative meaning. He's not bouncing on clouds in love or anything, he's in love with the person whom he hardly knows and he wants to tell them but he's too afraid so he just stares at them. It's depressing.

Well, I thought the whole time, that he is dreaming of beinig together with the other person - but he's is to afraid and thinks of all the things that could go wrong so he didn't ask the person.

My "problem" is, that dreaming (at day) has a positive meaning in german: to phantazise about things you want. Like some of girls here are dreaming to get a couple with Mika for example.

Can "dream" also mean "to imagine/envivsion/picture"? Then it would make sense. That he pictures the things that could do wrong.

Edit: Another thought. Do you think that the two lines "and I'm dreaming - I'm tripping over you" are connected ("I'm dreaming I'm tripping over you") or two different lines ("I'm dreaming. I'm tripping over you"). I thougt the whole time that it is one sentence - but if they are two, then all my understanding problems would vanish doh.gif

3) Think you're a woman (Think you're a woman I think you should from "Blue eyes")
Yeah, I have no idea ab out this one :naughty:

My last hope disappears :tears::biggrin2:

4) Let it go (Well you're looking tough but you need a way to let it go from "Touches you")
That can either mean to "forget about it" or to "express how you're feeling"

6) Literal meaning of drown (All these places only drown me from "One foot boy")
"Drown" usually has a negative connotation :wink2:

Thanks again :)

7) To bear a cruel cross (Its a cruel cross that I have to bear from "Toy Boy")
yeah..."a cross to bear" - we have same expression in my language...like burden, something unpleasant in your life with what you have to live...i think it might have origin in some New Testament story...did Jesus had to bear cross on way to Golgotha for his own crucifixion?

Yeah, this sounds good. Also with the reference to Jesus.

great thread!

you shot me

Well " shot" is already in the past tense, so there is no need to put "have." And also, they're pirates so they speak a bit differently :naughty:

Edit: Another thought. Do you think that the two lines "and I'm dreaming - I'm tripping over you" are connected ("I'm dreaming I'm tripping over you") or two different lines ("I'm dreaming. I'm tripping over you"). I thougt the whole time that it is one sentence - but if they are two, then all my understanding problems would vanish doh.gif

I never thought that could be one sentence till now :blink:

I think those are two separate thoughts. Not necessarily two sentences, like "I'm dreaming, I'm tripping over you" or "I'm dreaming...I'm tripping over you" But definitely separate.

Well " shot" is already in the past tense, so there is no need to put "have." And also, they're pirates so they speak a bit differently :naughty:

:naughty: great explanation

@ DerMoment there are threads about every Mika's song in "Mika's Music & Artwork" forum section, maybe that could help you too, I always find useful reading other peoples opinions and interpretations of songs.

Or at least interesting :naughty:

I have a question too. :blush-anim-cl: About one of our smilies --> :swoon:

THUD? What that means?

great thread!

you shot me

The first (shot) is called simple past and the second (have shot) one is called the present perfect. The first form can be used in English only when the moment in the past is mentioned (I shot the man yesterday), while the second one can be used when no temporal mentioning is available, or when the present results of a past action are emphasized (I've shot the man, and now he is in the hospital).

Basically the first one is when you know when it's happened and the second is when you don't know when it's happened.

Hope that helps! :biggrin2:

Edited by iadoremika

Wow all great answers :thumb_yello:

To answer one more fully .. to "drown" .. means to sink

We often say Im drowning under my work load , means sinking , mostly under pressure , or feeling pressure

All these places drown me , basically sink him , make him feel depressed

Negative comment

@ DerMoment there are threads about every Mika's song in "Mika's Music & Artwork" forum section, maybe that could help you too, I always find useful reading other peoples opinions and interpretations of songs.

Or at least interesting :naughty:

I have a question too. :blush-anim-cl: About one of our smilies --> :swoon:

THUD? What that means?

It means you are so overcome by what you have seen or heard that you have fainted :mf_lustslow:. The "thud" is the noise you make when you hit the floor.:naughty:

Swoon is another (slightly old-fashioned) word for fainting.

It means you are so overcome by what you have seen or heard that you have fainted :mf_lustslow:. The "thud" is the noise you make when you hit the floor.:naughty:

Swoon is another (slightly old-fashioned) word for fainting.

so it's not even a word! :roftl:

thank you:wink2:

it's funny that onomatopoeias are different in different languages even tho sounds are the same:naughty:

it's funny that onomatopoeias are different in different languages even tho sounds are the same:naughty:

Animal noises in different languages are the funniest. An English rooster (or cockerel - male chicken :chkn:) says "cock-a-doodle-doo" but a French one says "cocorico".:roftl:

:roftl:

here it's coo-coo-ree-coo :roftl:

similar to french it seems

Actually that's surprising; as Romanian is a Latin language, I would have thought it would have been closer to the Italian version.

:doh: I don't know why I thought you were from Romania :old:

You weren't far! And it doesn't make too much sense anyway, with Serbian being Slavic language...maybe first rosters in Serbia came from France and they kept their mother tongue through generations:naughty:

:sneaky2: Well I can't remember where everyone is really from

of course!

but my signature kind of gives me away :blush-anim-cl: unless you checked the option not to see signatures

I'm sorry. :blush-anim-cl:

You're talking to someone who can only play a piece of music from memory after rehearsing for 5 years. :roftl:

:naughty:

of course!

but my signature kind of gives me away :blush-anim-cl: unless you checked the option not to see signatures

:naughty:

I tend not to notice signatures :naughty: unless people have changed them - then I go back to not noticing them again :roftl: