Freddies English Teaching Course

• 3 weeks later...
'Barbershop love', anyone? :puppy_eyes:

I have come to the conclusion it's a phrase that Mika invented himself - I've certainly never heard it used in everyday speech. Maybe it's an Americanism :dunno: Or the English translation of a French? - Lebanese? saying?

I have come to the conclusion it's a phrase that Mika invented himself - I've certainly never heard it used in everyday speech. Maybe it's an Americanism :dunno: Or the English translation of a French? - Lebanese? saying?

Bloody pop tart. :annoyed_h4h:

Observer Music Monthly interview. From the man himself, apparently. :sneaky2:
thanks! didn't remember

Can you post the whole sentence? It might help...

I found this:

Barbershop: a type of singing in which four, usually male, voices in close combination perform popular romantic songs, especially from the 1920s and 1930s

(from cambridge dictionary)

"Well," he says, "it wasn't barbershop love, in a let's go to the dance, boys on one side, girls on the other and 'I'll buy you a couple of warm pints of Stella.'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/jun/14/mika-pop-music

I must go upstairs to get the magazine, because I don't remember. It's at the end, when he's discussing private matters. :wink2:

As you see, Mari posted it :naughty:

I think by "barbershop love" he might just mean "old-fashioned". And yes, barbershop was a singing style where men would sing in different harmonies...I think it was from the 40s or 50s.

You never know with Mika :naughty:

- What's a "brass spring"?

I love how Mika pronounces brass - with 'a' like we do in the north of England, rather than with the southern 'ar' sound. And whan he sings, 'looking for Lady Jane,' it is the northern 'oo' not the southern 'u'

I bet that's his classical training.

I think by "barbershop love" he might just mean "old-fashioned". And yes, barbershop was a singing style where men would sing in different harmonies...I think it was from the 40s or 50s.

Marina is unbeatable. :mf_rosetinted:

So: I had lots of girls, not only one in the old-fashioned way? :teehee:

Well, English is a flexible language, you can easily coin phrases while Latin languages are much stiffer. It is NOT the translation of a French phrase, that's for sure.

Cheers,

Id3

Please do correct me if I'm wrong: barbershop is in American English. British people say barber's. So it should definitely be an expression related to Northern American culture.

I think this is the most likely meaning of it..... barbershop music is seen as kind of pure and traditional I guess....the way the singers dress is very clean-cut, etc so I think he meant a relationship that was very traditional, like he says: "it wasn't barbershop love, in a let's go to the dance, boys on one side, girls on the other and 'I'll buy you a couple of warm pints of Stella.'" I think he means that he didn't follow the "rules" or society's expectations of a traditional relationship....

maybe :teehee:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

I was just wondering if "wag" does mean anything in english?? I mean, except the reduction of "We Are Golden"??

Is our man just loving the fact that his songs are reduced or is there a hidden joke?? (well,not so hidden for english people, I suppose :roftl:)

Thanks (and please excuse any mistakes, but I think i'm allowed to write bad english in this thread, am I? :blush-anim-cl:)

Hi there!

I was just wondering if "wag" does mean anything in english?? I mean, except the reduction of "We Are Golden"??

Is our man just loving the fact that his songs are reduced or is there a hidden joke?? (well,not so hidden for english people, I suppose :roftl:)

Thanks (and please excuse any mistakes, but I think i'm allowed to write bad english in this thread, am I? :blush-anim-cl:)

It means 'witty person'. :wink2: