MFC Masquerade Ball

HollyD

Alex -- just like you are putting your outfit together AROUND your shoes --

I am gonna FIND my mask first and then draw the inspiration from that to design my dress! Style and color! It is ALL in the mask!

THIS is gonna be HARD cause I am finding some of the MOST amazing masks! :naughty:

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alex -- just like you are putting your outfit together AROUND your shoes --

I am gonna FIND my mask first and then draw the inspiration from that to design my dress! Style and color! It is ALL in the mask!

THIS is gonna be HARD cause I am finding some of the MOST amazing masks! :naughty:

where are you going to look? i think you should go the other way, cause it would be easier finding a mask that matches a dress than the other way around.

where are you going to look? i think you should go the other way, cause it would be easier finding a mask that matches a dress than the other way around.

I need something to draw inspiration from though!!!!

I kinda like the idea of basing the dress ON the mask :naughty:

I am looking on google and on ebay -- and there are SO many! OMG--

I keep telling myself when you see 'THE ONE' -- you will just know! :roftl:

How to Make a Masquerade Ball Mask

Before starting any project, read through all the instructions first so you will know exactly what you will be doing. Take note of any places where you will have to make a decision between one thing or another, and how those decisions will affect the process. Once you have done that, you are ready to lay out all your tools and supplies.

As you lay out all the tools and supplies you will need to complete the project, note what things you will need based on the decisions you are asked to make. Double-check to be sure you have everything needed to finish the project. If you need 15 of some item, be sure you have all 15 of them.

For this project you will need:

Supplies:

Material from which to cut the mask form—this can be cardboard, card stock, or other stiff paper material. A favorite material is craft foam, sold in 8 ½ X 11 inch sheets at your local craft store,

OR

A purchased plastic mask form from the craft store or on-line craft supplier; can be half-face or full face.

Decorative items—can include silk or satin fabrics in a variety of colors, netting, sparkle tulle, other decorative fabrics, feathers, glitter, etc.

Flat-back rhinestones

Strong craft glue (E6000 is a favorite)

One chopstick (for hand-held mask)

OR

Round elastic cord (for hands-free mask)

2 buttons, preferably with two holes instead of four

Tools:

Sharp craft scissors

Tweezers

Toothpicks

Step 1:

(If you are using a purchased mask form, skip this step and go to Step 2)

Decide what shape you want your mask to be. Using a plain piece of paper, draw the shape of your mask and cut it out. Put it up to your face to be sure it is just the way you want it to be, that it is the right size, and that it covers the full portion of your face you want covered. If it is not right, continue to draw and cut until you get it just as you want. Be sure to cut eye holes in your pattern and check to see if their shape is also right. Once you have your pattern correct, use it to cut the mask form from the cardboard, card stock, or craft foam. If it is a full-face mask and it is not going to be hand-held, be sure to cut nose holes so you will be able to breathe while wearing the mask.

Step 2:

(If you are making a hand-held mask, skip this step and go to Step 3).

If you are going to make a mask that is to be worn without being held, you will need to use the buttons and the elastic. Using your scissors, carefully punch a hole on either side of the mask form where the elastic will be attached. Thread your elastic piece through the hole from the back to the front. Thread it through one hole of the button, coming through the back of the button, then back through a different hole, coming through from the top of the button. Thread the elastic back through the same hole in the mask it came up from. Grabbing both pieces of elastic that are now on the backside of the mask form, pull it tight so that the button lays flat against the front of the mask form. Tie an overhand knot with the two pieces of elastic in the back of the mask form so that it is tight against the back of the form. For a more decorative and secure knot, tie a buntline hitch, following the instructions at this link (if it doesn’t work when you click on it, copy and paste it into your browser and hit enter):

http://www.animatedknots.com/buntlineboating/index.php?LogoImage=LogoGrog.jpg&Website=www.animatedknots.com

Do the same on the other side of the mask. Check for fit and adjust accordingly. When you are satisfied with the fit, saturate each knot with a little glue so that you can be sure the knots will hold securely.

Step 3:

You will decorate your mask in layers. For the first layer, begin gluing decorative materials onto the mask form until the entire form is covered. Use the plainer pieces of decorative material that you have because these pieces are going to be largely covered up by the second layer. The purpose of the first layer is to cover the mask form completely so it doesn’t show through anywhere. You will want to cover the buttons as well (if you used them) so that they don’t show. Don’t worry if they show through right now. As you add layers you will be able to cover them completely so no one will know they are there.

Step 4:

Once you’ve laid down the first layer, start gluing pieces on for the second layer, using your more decorative pieces. Try working from the center of the mask to the outer edges. Continue with a third layer of pieces if needed and add as many layers as you want, until you are satisfied with the design. Save long feathers to glue onto the sides by the eyes to give a mysterious, cat-like look to the mask.

Step 5:

Add the flat-back rhinestones anywhere you want a little sparkle. They are particularly effective when placed in an outline around the eyeholes, or try putting a cluster of them in the middle of the forehead. Use the tweezers to hold onto the rhinestone while using a toothpick to apply glue to the back of it. Still holding the rhinestone with the tweezers, place it on your mask in the place you want it to be. Continue until you have as many rhinestones on your mask as you want.

Step 6:

(If you used the button and elastic method in Step 1, skip this step and go to Step 7).

A chopstick makes a great handle for a hand-held mask. You can paint the handle, wind ribbon around it, gluing the ribbon in place as you go, or you can just leave it plain. Once your chopstick is ready to go, place the skinny end (the end you pick up food with) at the side of the mask form on the backside, and glue into place. You can also glue on ribbon streamers in the same place to give it a more festive look. Set the mask aside in a place where it won’t be disturbed. Hold the handle in place until the glue starts to set.

Step 7:

Let the mask dry for 24 hours. After that, wear and enjoy!

So what is the plan? Holiday Inn party then the next day NYC? I can't get it straight between the two threads.

I'm exhausted and confused. :boxed:

Spell it out PLEASE

HA HA HA ---- we do have a way of confusing people, huh! :lmao:

AFTER the Ball -- we *meaning who-ever-wants-to-go* are going to Times Square to have F U N. For sure we are going to Madame Tussaud's and visiting all the places that Mika has played in NYC. Including Terminal 5.

Then basically those OF age are going to *have a good time* Lucy and I have never drunk together -- so ******************************

but I SERIOUSLY doubt we are gonna have many drinks -or get anywhere near 'drunk' -- I want to have the weekend of my life, not have my head in a toilet -- NOT TO MENTION the fact that I have to hop a plane a few hours later -- the more I keep talking the LESS I want to have a drink at all! I think I just talked myself out of it! OMG - I am a walking AA Counselor :lmao:

Everything ELSE still applies :mf_rosetinted:

MFC Masquerade Ball

masqueade.jpg

DATE: Saturday - November 22, 2008

TIME: 5:00 - 10:00 PM

WHERE: Holiday Inn *Cameo A Room* 4701 Stelton Road- South Plainfield, NJ

RSVP Required} Invitation Only - Please sign up on this thread

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL MFCers are invited and able to bring guests **************************

GUEST LIST -

HollyD

Cheeseygoodness

Lucy

Finkster

Revica

Aimee

Jackie

Mom4Mika

MIKA_OBSESSED

Zo-Zo

heineken22 -- THE *honorary - but, can't make it* MFCer.. who is with us in spirit!

hmmm...any chance we can move this closer to me, say i dont know...Cleveland, Ohio.:bleh:

If so, I'll be there for sure:thumb_yello:

Wow Girls!! this is a great idea. I wish I could be there with you. In New Jersey!! :wub2:

I love masks, ever since I was younger and watched The Labyrinth..

(And I love Bon Jovi :das: )

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I AM SOOO EXCITED I FEEL LIKE A CHILD LET LOOSE IN A FREE CANDY STORE!:roftl:

Nothing in life is free :mf_rosetinted:

:lmao: JUST wait till the Ball -- everyone is gonna look SO pretty!!! :naughty:

hmmm...any chance we can move this closer to me, say i dont know...Cleveland, Ohio.:bleh:

If so, I'll be there for sure:thumb_yello:

I will n e v e r go back there as long as I live! :mf_rosetinted:

okay -- I would totally go to the Rock-n-Roll Hall of fame~! :naughty:

But other then that.... :boxed:

You should have a party in Cleveland for all of the Ohio MFCers -- there are others aren't there? :bleh:

Wow Girls!! this is a great idea. I wish I could be there with you. In New Jersey!! :wub2:

I love masks, ever since I was younger and watched The Labyrinth..

(And I love Bon Jovi :das: )

.... I am S O :insane: I am sitting here going WTF does Bon Jovi have to do with anything? THEN it hit me :doh:

OMG -- the whole thing totally makes me think of Labyrinth!!!!! I love that movie!!!!!

Wish you could come!!!! :huglove:

I will n e v e r go back there as long as I live!

okay -- I would totally go to the Rock-n-Roll Hall of fame~!

But other then that.... :boxed:

You should have a party in Cleveland for all of the Ohio MFCers -- there are others aren't there?

huh? why not?:mf_rosetinted: i love Cleveland, anywho i would love to have a party here i just am not good at the whole party planning ordeal, im more of a show up party my ass off then go to the after party and party somemore then go home and sleep it off for the next week type person:punk::punk::punk:. Not the whole plan, setup,then take down type. Do you know what other Mfcers live here maybe they'll plan one for us.:thumb_yello:

BTW- I love the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.:thumb_yello:

.... I am S O :insane: I am sitting here going WTF does Bon Jovi have to do with anything? THEN it hit me :doh:

OMG -- the whole thing totally makes me think of Labyrinth!!!!! I love that movie!!!!!

Wish you could come!!!!

Aww.. I wish I could come. :huglove:

:roftl: lol!! The Finksterrrrrr would've got it straight away.. :roftl:

She's letting me and Jon stay in her backyard.. :wink2:

Yay another Labyrinth fan!! I love David Bowie (and his tights).. :naughty:

Wish you could come!!!! :huglove:

:shocked:

that movie is sooooooooooooooo scary!

my brothers used to watch it all the time, and then i'd have nightmares.

:shocked:

that movie is sooooooooooooooo scary!

my brothers used to watch it all the time, and then i'd have nightmares.

Scary?? :roftl: Sorry, that's funny to me. :lmfao:

Did your brothers tell you they were going to send you away to Jareth the Goblin King?? :naughty:

huh? why not?:mf_rosetinted: i love Cleveland, anywho i would love to have a party here i just am not good at the whole party planning ordeal, im more of a show up party my ass off then go to the after party and party somemore then go home and sleep it off for the next week type person:punk::punk:. Not the whole plan, setup,then take down type. Do you know what other Mfcers live here maybe they'll plan one for us.:thumb_yello:

BTW- I love the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.:thumb_yello:

Sorry!!!! I just had a REALLY bad experience in Cleveland last year!!! :boxed:

That is funny - and BELEIVE me I know what you mean!!!! I have been working on the Ball ALL week -- and my job is really showing it! My desk is piled HIGH -- yet all I can concentrate on is the MFC! I am terrible!!!!! :bleh:

Aww.. I wish I could come. :huglove:

:roftl: lol!! The Finksterrrrrr would've got it straight away..

She's letting me and Jon stay in her backyard.. :wink2:

Yay another Labyrinth fan!! I love David Bowie (and his tights).. :naughty:

Actually thinking of the Finkster is what made me get it in the FIRST place! Or else I would STILL be totally lost!!! :roftl: -- that is so kind of her, you two behave yourselves now! :das:

OMG are you kidding? The tights are the BEST part :das: