FIMO/Sculpey/etc...anyone?

Mary

For those who are not familiar with it, FIMO (and Sculpey too, but I use only FIMO) is a kind of polymer clay, a material that you can use to make all sorts of stuff, like jewelry for example.

You can work it like plasticine, but it's cured in the oven, like the mineral clay. (only this can be done in our normal kitchen ovens).

Those who are interested can find more about polymer clay here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_clay

============

So, anyone here uses this? :wink2: Lets share some tips, ideas, ...!

I usually make jewelry, keychains, etc. with it. Never sold any piece, most of them were made to offer, on Christmas or some birthday, and others I make for myself.

Here go some pics of stuff I've done.

post-35-142983678399_thumb.jpg

post-35-1429836784_thumb.jpg

post-35-142983678401_thumb.jpg

post-35-142983678403_thumb.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

thats really cool!

I love the lollipop!! :cheerful_h4h:

but all of them are awesome! :biggrin2:

Ahah thanks! Well, the lollipop was obviously Mika-inspired! (who would guess? :naughty:) I was going to wear it in the gig, but I couldn't finish it on time... :thumbdown:

Ooooh, those are fantabulous! Awesome job:thumb_yello:

Thanks! :thumb_yello:

Another one (i made this bracelet for my cousin, and I have a similar one, I wore in Mika's gig. I was actually going to give it to him, but I didn't have that chance...)

post-35-142983678404_thumb.jpg

Another one (i made this bracelet for my cousin, and I have a similar one, I wore in Mika's gig. I was actually going to give it to him, but I didn't have that chance...)

You are very welcome Mary:wink2:

Oooh that bracelet looks fab! Very cool:thumb_yello:

I should get me some clay as well to make jewllery with:naughty::bleh:

You are very welcome Mary:wink2:

Oooh that bracelet looks fab! Very cool:thumb_yello:

I should get me some clay as well to make jewllery with:naughty::bleh:

Do I see a MFC Jewelry Factory coming up? :roftl::roftl::roftl:

(If you want some tips on how to work with the clay, feel free to ask! )

oh that one is awesome too! :biggrin2:

maybe I will go and check the store to find some .. :naughty:

its really cool :wink2:

Do I see a MFC Jewelry Factory coming up? :roftl::roftl::roftl:

(If you want some tips on how to work with the clay, feel free to ask! )

haha:roftl:

Well I have to get some clay first:naughty: But I know an art supply store where I can get some:bleh:

I have one question, and I haven't even made anything yet:lol3: How do you get it so shiny? Is it like a special thing you put on top?

haha:roftl:

Well I have to get some clay first:naughty: But I know an art supply store where I can get some:bleh:

I have one question, and I haven't even made anything yet:lol3: How do you get it so shiny? Is it like a special thing you put on top?

Yeah, I put a special varnish on it. The clay usually is not shiny after cured (like in the earrings I showed in my first post).

I guess you can find the varnish and other stuff in the same store you find the clay. :wink2:

Believe me, if you like this kind of stuff, you'll get addicted once you find the wonders of working with clay! :mf_lustslow: So many things we can do. And then the effects, mixing colours, making it shiny or not,...gawd! It's really cool! :thumb_yello:

Yeah, I put a special varnish on it. The clay usually is not shiny after cured (like in the earrings I showed in my first post).

I guess you can find the varnish and other stuff in the same store you find the clay. :wink2:

Believe me, if you like this kind of stuff, you'll get addicted once you find the wonders of working with clay! :mf_lustslow: So many things we can do. And then the effects, mixing colours, making it shiny or not,...gawd! It's really cool! :thumb_yello:

Very cool:wink2:

I can imagine all the possibilities:naughty:

and so do you bake them in the oven to dry? :biggrin2:

Yep! 15-20 min, with temperature 150ºC and it's done!

There are some concerns, though.

Once the clay is being "baked", it releases some vapors that are toxic. Of course it doesn't kill you, but still, it's better to let the oven open for 1-2 hours after baking the objects, before using it to cook.

And some tips, for example, I always cover the pieces with that aluminum foil paper, so that the beads or whatever I'm making don't get literally "toasted". First time I made beads with clay, they got black on one side...LOL :naughty:

Yep! 15-20 min, with temperature 150ºC and it's done!

There are some concerns, though.

Once the clay is being "baked", it releases some vapors that are toxic. Of course it doesn't kill you, but still, it's better to let the oven open for 1-2 hours after baking the objects, before using it to cook.

And some tips, for example, I always cover the pieces with that aluminum foil paper, so that the beads or whatever I'm making don't get literally "toasted". First time I made beads with clay, they got black on one side...LOL :naughty:

thanks! :wink2:

hehe :bleh:

this is :drool:

Totally :drool:!! :wub2:

i always wanted to make stuff from this..but i can't find it here :sad:

Isn't there any online store where you can buy it? I doesn't have to be FIMO, there are other brands, maybe you can find them easily in your country. For example, here in Portugal it's easier to find FIMO than Sculpey...

Totally :drool:!! :wub2:

Isn't there any online store where you can buy it? I doesn't have to be FIMO, there are other brands, maybe you can find them easily in your country. For example, here in Portugal it's easier to find FIMO than Sculpey...

the only way to buy them it's online... but i'm saving for something else now :naughty:

we don't have any shops where i could find either FIMO or Sculpey :aah:

or maybe i don't know...:boxed: i'll ask my dad tonight... he knows about these things. he'll probably going to start yelling that this is silly and bla bla bla and toxic.. but anyway... :bleh:

the only way to buy them it's online... but i'm saving for something else now :naughty:

we don't have any shops where i could find either FIMO or Sculpey :aah:

or maybe i don't know...:boxed: i'll ask my dad tonight... he knows about these things. he'll probably going to start yelling that this is silly and bla bla bla and toxic.. but anyway... :bleh:

Well, it IS toxic. But if you're careful there's absolutely no problem. :wink2: Hey, I've been "playing" with this for the last 2 years, and I'm still here! :naughty:

Well, it IS toxic. But if you're careful there's absolutely no problem. :wink2: Hey, I've been "playing" with this for the last 2 years, and I'm still here! :naughty:

:roftl: try to tell this to my dad

well he's moving out in about a month...:sad: so there's gonna be no problem then :punk:

One day I'll make stuff like this... :wub2:

Round_Fimo_Beads.jpg

Or not...my skills are a bit...erm...limited! :naughty:

that is... :shocked: wow... i have a necklace and a bracelet made of this stuff. i bought them some long time ago.

i wonder what i could make if i would get my hands on FIMO... i'm usually crappy at this sort of things...

that is... :shocked: wow... i have a necklace and a bracelet made of this stuff. i bought them some long time ago.

i wonder what i could make if i would get my hands on FIMO... i'm usually crappy at this sort of things...

The funny part is to experiment, and find your own techniques! :wink2:

And there are lots of nice tutorials on the web to help you. :thumb_yello: