The Australian Thread: Part Twenty

Rainbow Sky

This is the place I am looking at. Well, I don't know anything about it, I just emailed them today, and I emailed like 50 people today, but this is the one I want the most. I really really don't want to live with strangers. But ugh, this one is SO EXPENSIVE. It's really out of my price range :boxed: ... they ALL are :crybaby:

GRANNY FLAT Fully Self Contained

Description:

Modern 1 Bedroom with study area, Full bathroom , kitchen, lounge and meals, washing machine. Fully furnished, including crockery, cutlery and linen

Rent includes Electricity and Gas, Foxtel Cable TV and Cable Broadband Internet (5GB/month). Air conditioned and gas heating

Off street parking if required. Close to bus route. MUST LIKE DOGS (we have 2)

General details:

Suburb: Willetton

Bond (total): 700.00

Rent per week: 175.00

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the place I am looking at. Well, I don't know anything about it, I just emailed them today, and I emailed like 50 people today, but this is the one I want the most. I really really don't want to live with strangers. But ugh, this one is SO EXPENSIVE. It's really out of my price range :boxed: ... they ALL are :crybaby:

When you consider all the things you pay for each week/month does it work out reasonably priced?

Just my own guestimation on living expenses for 1 person from when I was in a one br flat:

Electricity and gas per week could amount to $50-$60.

Foxtel is approx $20 per week

Broadband $10 (?)

So there's $90 of your living expenses covered. If I'm fairly accurate :naughty:

The good news is it looks as if you don't have to pay for a house phone. Or water.

Anyway, try looking at it like that (if you haven't already) *shrug*

When you consider all the things you pay for each week/month does it work out reasonably priced?

Just my own guestimation on living expenses for 1 person from when I was in a one br flat:

Electricity and gas per week could amount to $50-$60.

Foxtel is approx $20 per week

Broadband $10 (?)

So there's $90 of your living expenses covered. If I'm fairly accurate :naughty:

The good news is it looks as if you don't have to pay for a house phone. Or water.

Anyway, try looking at it like that (if you haven't already) *shrug*

That's true. But I don't really watch TV, but I so would watch Foxtel, maybe Foxtel is a bad thing :naughty: Anf the internet is only 5gb :shocked:

It's still a lot of money though! All the other places for a room in a share-house are like 120-50ish for including bills. But that's also still a lot of money! :naughty:

If I get that $175 one, with max centrelink + rent assistance I'd get $483 a fortnight, $241 a week, minus $175 rent and there's $66 for everything else. Which is food, petrol, parking permit, entertainment/clothes and non-existant savings. And Willetton isn't Murdoch, Willetton is Willletton, which is like 2 or 3 suburbs along from Murdoch.

Hm, okay, well I calculated-thingy that, and for $120-rent I'd have $118 a week to spend. Which is substantially more :blink: BUT, I'm yet to find a room that will allow pets. And I have a phobia of strangers. And my dad hinted that he might give me some money if I can't afford it :das:

Hello All !!! *waveslovejugs* :lmfao:

Firstly ;

CONGRATS. on 7,000 BIANCS !!! :kachinga:

OKD: A few questions ...

* Are there no vet student friends that you could share a house with ??

* Is it very hard there to find a place where you can bring your dog ? I know it can be in Melb. & Syd. :thumbdown:

* Is the 2 suburbs away very far ??

* Would it be easy-ish to get some work for not-so-many- hrs. per week, but enough to supplement your income to be able to afford that Granny Flat ??

* Would you consider sharing with 'strangers' (as long as Ambrose could come) ... & be able to treat it as a new adventure ?? :biggrin2:

SD: Yay for Hols !! :groovy: I trust that you have made plans to spend time with :das: over the holidays ??!! :sneaky2:

Hi Kelz !!

* Are there no vet student friends that you could share a house with ??

None that I know. All my friends are from overseas or interstate, and don't have pets. They either live in student villiage at uni or in places that don't allow pets. BUT I could send an email to the thing that sends out emails to all the vets students...

* Is it very hard there to find a place where you can bring your dog ? I know it can be in Melb. & Syd.

I think so. Especially because in a sharehouse, with an nosey inside dog and noisy inside bird, they kind of become everyone else's problem too. Most of the ads specifically say "no pets", I've found none that say "pets allowed!", except one that said only outside pets. I emailed all the ones that said nothing asking if they allow pets. ... So now we wait :naughty:

* Is the 2 suburbs away very far ??

No, probably like 10 minutes drive, but far enough that it's not walk or bike-ridable, meaning I have to use petrol and buy a parking permit to get to school.

* Would it be easy-ish to get some work for not-so-many- hrs. per week, but enough to supplement your income to be able to afford that Granny Flat ??

Perhaps, I do hope so. Not much point in looking for it now though.

* Would you consider sharing with 'strangers' (as long as Ambrose could come) ... & be able to treat it as a new adventure ??

Well .. I don't want to, but I probably will have to anyway :smth: That granny flat is the ONLY one like that. The only other option is renting a house and finding 2-3 friends to rent with me, but no luck there so far.

SD: Yay for Hols !! I trust that you have made plans to spend time with :das: over the holidays ??!!

Yes, yes indeed, I trust so also. :das:

Well.. I am planning on making plans. :naughty:

I'd better go to bed.

Na-night!

:sneaky2: Na-night ... HOUDINI !!! :naughty:

OKD: Sounds like the granny flat is more like what you want then ... & it does have a bus ... :thumb_yello:

I have lived in many shared houses in my time ... & for the most part have found them really rewarding & enriching experiences :cheerful_h4h:

Having said that ... if your dad is willing to help you with what you need .... :smth:

I was asleep by 10 last night, due to a cold.

Now I need to head to uni, and when I get back stop procrastinating and start working on that pile of work I have to do

Asleep by 10?:shocked:

Congrats, Bec!

:roftl:

Who needs vitamins anyway...

It is a tough choice, isn't it?

I have been gorging myself on colorful and leafy things for two weeks now in hopes of getting some health benefit, but the most noticeable effect is the poops. I'm tired of sipping Pepto Bismol every night.:thumbdown:

Plus, I have a daily women's multivitamin. It doesn't mean I don't need to eat healthy at all, but perhaps I could lessen up on eating flora if I'm taking that?

AND BTW. I finally have conclusive proof that I subconsciously sabbotage myself.

The reason I'm often late is because my alarm just DOESN'T go off, even though I quadruple check that I've set it correctly before I go to sleep.

This morning my dad woke me up at quarter past 7 and goes "Your alarm went off, I heard it, get up now." And I was like "... what? My alarm didn't go off, what are you talking about? I set it for 7, but it didn'tngo off at all, that bastard." and he said it definitely went off at 7 o'clock, and then stopped.

I ACTUALLY REALLY TURNED IT OFF WITHOUT WAKING UP OR GAINING EVEN REMOTE CONSCIOUSNESS!

OMG.

I do that too!

For weeks, I thought I was going batty, setting it to the perfect time and then not waking up.

Silver's right, as long as it's loud enough to wake you up from farther away, putting away from the bed is the best option.

This is the place I am looking at. Well, I don't know anything about it, I just emailed them today, and I emailed like 50 people today, but this is the one I want the most. I really really don't want to live with strangers. But ugh, this one is SO EXPENSIVE. It's really out of my price range ... they ALL are

When you say you don't want to live with strangers, do you mean you would have to share a room, or just a house?

Because I can personally say that, being terrified of strangers myself, I have proudly managed to survive nearly a full school year in a house with three complete strangers.

But I had my own room.

Even then it can be hit and miss, and the idea of sharing a room with a complete stranger gives me the shivers. But one thing that shy people (myself included) always underrate is that after that initial awkward period (not sure how long yours usually is; mine's usually two months or so:naughty:), strangers aren't really strangers anymore.

They might not be someone you like, and that's where the hit and miss part comes in, but at least they're not a stranger.:naughty:

That's true. But I don't really watch TV, but I so would watch Foxtel, maybe Foxtel is a bad thing Anf the internet is only 5gb

It's still a lot of money though! All the other places for a room in a share-house are like 120-50ish for including bills. But that's also still a lot of money! :naughty:

If I get that $175 one, with max centrelink + rent assistance I'd get $483 a fortnight, $241 a week, minus $175 rent and there's $66 for everything else. Which is food, petrol, parking permit, entertainment/clothes and non-existant savings. And Willetton isn't Murdoch, Willetton is Willletton, which is like 2 or 3 suburbs along from Murdoch.

Wowza, that's expensive.

Is that first one your job?

If not, do you have a job? Or some unused time in your schedule that could be committed to a job?

Even a modest couple of 6-hour shifts a week at a restaurant or drugstore or what have you would really make things easier for you. It'll probably mean a little extra petrol, and definitely mean less leisure and study time, but it'll really help when you've already used that $66 on food or a parking permit.:thumb_yello:

OK, I must have missed something somewhere... When did Bianca decide she was moving out? And why?

Also, hello Artsy. Long time no see. Perhaps you could try fruit and veges with less fibrous qualities? Not all of them give you the runs.

And then just generally.... Howdy folks.

HK, you're still about and you never answered Artsy's question :sneaky2:

Must've been late, then. She must have conked out at the wheel.:naughty:

OK, I must have missed something somewhere... When did Bianca decide she was moving out? And why?

Also, hello Artsy. Long time no see. Perhaps you could try fruit and veges with less fibrous qualities? Not all of them give you the runs.

And then just generally.... Howdy folks.

Hiya CD!

I've been searching through low-fiber food and am going to try to be more selective. Thanks for the advice; never occurred to me that fiber would be the cause.

(and I'm glad I was told this by you and not by my Dishpig's mothah, whom I'm seeing next week. It just doesn't do to appear a twit in front of the *sort of* in-laws.:blush-anim-cl:)

Asleep by 10?:shocked:

Congrats, Bec!

Last night it was 11, but the absence of net and my unwillingness to study was the cause of that.

Update on studying: I started researching the essay, then got so confused that I had to leave the house to resort throwing Satre's Being and Nothingness across the room. Makes me wish I could read french, since apparently it all makes more sense in it.

Got the tip for the adaptor fixed so back on laptop, in the hope that Blackboard will be able to explain whatever Satre is going on about in simpler terms (I was getting it for a bit, but then he went off into tangents or something, and confused me again)

And caffeine update: Day 4, still no caffeine. Evil father brought 2 2litre bottles of coke zero into the house, one to have with dinner last night, but I resisted and sipped my water. This morning I confronted a beverage vending machine and chose fanta instead. Next step will be to go into a coffee shop and order decaf... but that will take a little while till I'm up to that :fisch:

Last night it was 11, but the absence of net and my unwillingness to study was the cause of that.

Update on studying: I started researching the essay, then got so confused that I had to leave the house to resort throwing Satre's Being and Nothingness across the room. Makes me wish I could read french, since apparently it all makes more sense in it.

Got the tip for the adaptor fixed so back on laptop, in the hope that Blackboard will be able to explain whatever Satre is going on about in simpler terms (I was getting it for a bit, but then he went off into tangents or something, and confused me again)

And caffeine update: Day 4, still no caffeine. Evil father brought 2 2litre bottles of coke zero into the house, one to have with dinner last night, but I resisted and sipped my water. This morning I confronted a beverage vending machine and chose fanta instead. Next step will be to go into a coffee shop and order decaf... but that will take a little while till I'm up to that :fisch:

I narrowly missed Satre by dropping out of a philosophy class last semester. He was in the assigned reading list. Good to know my instincts were correct.:bleh:

Good luck with him, Soy, and I do hope he gets easier. I got confused just reading the wiki description of the book.:blink:

Also, good luck with the no caffeine mission.:thumb_yello: Have you made it past the crying and shaking in a dark corner phase yet?:naughty:

I narrowly missed Satre by dropping out of a philosophy class last semester. He was in the assigned reading list. Good to know my instincts were correct.:bleh:

Good luck with him, Soy, and I do hope he gets easier. I got confused just reading the wiki description of the book.:blink:

Also, good luck with the no caffeine mission.:thumb_yello: Have you made it past the crying and shaking in a dark corner phase yet?:naughty:

Some of the time I love reading Satre. Its just the stuff I have to read at the moment, I find he explains it more simply elsewhere.

Being and nothingness may be his greatest work, but its his most confusing.

And Yes... except it wasn't crying it was headaches. As for the shaking,I skipped that part :fisch: