dcdeb

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alice,

are you staying in a hotel?

I have spent hours and hours on the computer (into the wee hours) trying to decide where I want to stay and researching

the "lay of the land"--

NYC has sooooooo many hotels; it's very overwhelming. I feel like I've looked at everything from one end of the island to the other--including rooms at a seminary to suites at the 'Mandarin Oriental.'

My head is about to explode!

At this point, I'm about to cancel my lst reservation in favor of one of the KIMPTON properties.

My usual 'keepers' are sitting this one out. Instead, my sister will come with me to this one. She actually saw MIKA last year in Spain--I think it was Barcelona and brought me a lollipop back all the way from there!

Sooo, does anyone besides me get this positively traumatic mixture of nervousness, excitement and near nausea before a MIKA gig? . . . AND

who wants to take me and my sis to 'Per Se' for dinner?

I was there, remember. And yes the location is weird.

How could I forget, it was my 1st MIKA gig, and I felt like I knew you before I got there. The thing that really threw me in Philly was the way they separated the guys from the gals for the security check; that was a complete surprise.

And then it was also funny that "Big Daddy Dale" had to explain to the security people why he had Hotel plastic laundry bags shoved into his pockets!

Actually, in Philly, there WERE some cabs around, but they just wouldn't take us!

GOOD TIMES!

I have spent hours and hours on the computer (into the wee hours) trying to decide where I want to stay and researching

the "lay of the land"--

NYC has sooooooo many hotels; it's very overwhelming. I feel like I've looked at everything from one end of the island to the other--including rooms at a seminary to suites at the 'Mandarin Oriental.'

My head is about to explode!

At this point, I'm about to cancel my lst reservation in favor of one of the KIMPTON properties.

My usual 'keepers' are sitting this one out. Instead, my sister will come with me to this one. She actually saw MIKA last year in Spain--I think it was Barcelona and brought me a lollipop back all the way from there!

Sooo, does anyone besides me get this positively traumatic mixture of nervousness, excitement and near nausea before a MIKA gig? . . . AND

who wants to take me and my sis to 'Per Se' for dinner?

I am a roller coaster with MIKA

How could I forget, it was my 1st MIKA gig, and I felt like I knew you before I got there. The thing that really threw me in Philly was the way they separated the guys from the gals for the security check; that was a complete surprise.

And then it was also funny that "Big Daddy Dale" had to explain to the security people why he had Hotel plastic laundry bags shoved into his pockets!

Actually, in Philly, there WERE some cabs around, but they just wouldn't take us!

GOOD TIMES!

I wonder if they are going to separate again. We need to speak with them. It is not fair at all :aah:

I am a roller coaster with MIKA

I wonder if they are going to separate again. We need to speak with them. It is not fair at all :aah:

I am a TOTAL MESSED UP FREAK LIKE A MONTH SOLID before a gig!!! :freak:

THEY BETTER NOT I will :boxing:

It's a good thing we dont have to queue this is an AWFUL area in ny

It is? I have never been there, and I think I need to find the place day or two before the gig, so I can relax, I mean that way I know how long it takes to go there etc.

There are taxis EVERYWHERE!!!! No worries!!!! :biggrin2:

I hope you're right.

There are taxis everywhere in MIDTOWN, but the venue is not in midtown.

My husband, who goes to NYC a lot, has put the fear into me -- he says

it could be hard to find taxis who will go all the way up to 175th from

midtown, and vice versa. You're talking more than 100 blocks, depending

on where you're staying. :shocked:

Alice may THINK she's a worrier, but I'm an Olympic-class worrywart! :naughty:

Anyhow, I've just recently found some reviews of the theater -- have

you all seen these? Just from the last year or so:

7/10/2009: Who the hell picked this venue? This old theatre is now a concert venue, and not one of my favorites. Let's start with the inconvenient location, way up in Washington Heights; it was a schlep from Manhattan, even worse for all you Brooklyn hipsters. On the positive side, once uptown it's a short walk from the subway station on 175th. The theater itself is ornately decorated, but the seats were in pretty shabby condition. The double-letter rows are up front; if you have a single letter ticket you're nowhere near the stage and the balcony extends out really far so it feels like you're watching a concert at the other end of a hallway. Might have been okay for a singer-songwriter, but for a sonically complex band like Sonic Youth the sound was a muddy mess. The view is much better if you can move up front, but the sound there was actually even worse.

12/4/2008: I really thought I'd like this place, but it was a big disappointment. It's musty and worn and not at all charming. The ornate ceiling and details are nice but not enough to overcome the poor ventilation, sound and other things.

Wheelchair access: Getting in is easy, but once in you won't be happy. Wheelchair seating is off on the left pretty much in an aisle - a sloped aisle at that. It's also not elevated so when people stand, good luck seeing anything but the backs and butts of the people in front of you. If you're sitting behind Shakira maybe that won't be so bad, but otherwise it sucks.

9/19/2008: Like the bastard brainchild of Ridley Scott and Louie The XIV this place is at once dark and post-apocalyptic and lush and decadent - and i love it!

I saw Sigur Ros here (a mix of Bjork, NIN, and Portishead) and it was perfect - they have a beautiful and dark feel that just works with this place...

It is beautiful, the seats are comfortable, they serve beer, wine and popcorn and the stage is incredible! I also liked the creches all over the walls with (from what i could tell) Buddha, Shiva and the virgin Mary in them..odd

Other shows to see here Anything Icelandic, Anything Gospel, Rocky Horror(?), TOOL(!) etc - this is a cool Venue

Points deducted for a Fu*$ up with overbooking which required me to stand for half of the show to find out who the hell was in the seat of the person in the seat of the person in the seat of the person in the seat of the person in my seat!!!!

10/14/2008: I saw Beck here with MGMT...Very cool, retro-elegant atmosphere that reminds me a bit of the Tabernacle in Atlanta, and the sound was great, too. The stadium style seating allows everyone to get a pretty good view. I was a little disappointed with how far back my great-sounding tickets were, though.

If you have tickets to a show here, give yourself plenty of time to get here if you're coming from Brooklyn. This place is as upper you can get for upper Manhattan. Plus, the C train doesn't run late at night, I guess, so the A train stops at every single stop on the way home from a show. A taxi might have been worth it, considering how long it took to get back to Brooklyn.

Anyway, this was a fantastic venue for Beck, with his amazing pixilated light show in the background. This is more of a low-key tour, as opposed to the puppet crazyness and huge bands of previous tours, so the atmosphere seemed to fit just perfectly.

The theatre is a great place to see a band, and I'll def. go back...I just wish it weren't so incredibly far away.

12/7/2008: I can say I've probably seen hundreds upon hundreds of shows in my life. But I can honestly say until I went to the Palace, I had never had an usher approach my party (at this point, we had moved down a few rows and initially thought we were going to be admonished for it, by the way) and ask if we wanted to move closer to the stage.

Uh, yes?

"You guys can go fill in these loge seats below," the usher said, gesturing to the level, then proceeded to prance away. Weird, but you know what? Definitely not questioning it.

Seriously, not only is this venue gorgeous ('30s details all preserved), but it has the most permissive staff ever. And that means that dancing in the aisles seems to not only be allowed, but encouraged... fire hazards be damned.

:tears: Doesn't seem like good reviews.

Well the subway is always another option?

I wonder if they venue is going to let everyone go up to the stage when Mika comes on?

I certainly hope not :(

But Holly checked and she said they wouldn't, if I recall properly

:tears: Doesn't seem like good reviews.

Well the subway is always another option?

I wonder if they venue is going to let everyone go up to the stage when Mika comes on?

Well, it sounds like people consistently love the theater, and consistenly

hate the location. :naughty: But they seem divided on the sound,

don't they? Some think it was great, others not so much. :blink:

I really hope they aren't as "permissive" as that last review said! I don't

want people coming down from the balcony trying to stand in front of us!

:sneaky2:

Well, it sounds like people consistently love the theater, and consistenly

hate the location. :naughty: But they seem divided on the sound,

don't they? Some think it was great, others not so much. :blink:

I really hope they aren't as "permissive" as that last review said! I don't

want people coming down from the balcony trying to stand in front of us!

:sneaky2:

I will not allow that to happen:sneaky2::naughty:

I just hope Mika will say that everyone can go in front of the stage then the security can't stop us:naughty: