"Mika - The Boy Who Knew Too Much Album Review" from contactmusic.com

mari62

Yes- I'm glad Toy Boy's on the album- that doesn't stop me being greedy, I'd have put something else on the EP

I do think Touches You has "No 1" written all over it though

Some of these latest reviews seem to be absolutely desperate not to repeat what's already been said by other mags- to the point of talking rubbish (like about GGG/GK)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agree that Touches You appeals to British tastes but I don't think it's a surefire number one for the near future because it doesn't look to me like they have any intention of releasing it as a single soon. I don't think it's the album's strongest track at all either. It's quite weak IMO, whether it appeals to British top 40 tastes or not and I think that's borne out by most of the other reviews and the fact that it doesn't seem to be slated for single release before a few of the other tracks. Guess we'll see. :dunno:

The GGG/Grace Kelly comment strikes me as dumb not because GGG doesn't sound like Grace Kelly which probably goes without saying for any song...but because it wasn't given the same treatment as Grace Kelly during production. I think if you're going to make any comparison to GK on the album it would be BIOTG since GGG is still a simple piano-based number.

I don't know what there is to complain about with EP tracks being on the album. I don't think it was an either/or decision for Mika and there wouldn't have been other songs on the album if he'd left them off. I would guess that he took the best of the best of his 60-70 demos and turned them into an album, whether it was 10 tracks or 14 tracks or 17 tracks and that's what we've got.

I do agree that Touches You appeals to British tastes but I don't think it's a surefire number one for the near future because it doesn't look to me like they have any intention of releasing it as a single soon. I don't think it's the album's strongest track at all either. It's quite weak IMO, whether it appeals to British top 40 tastes or not and I think that's borne out by most of the other reviews and the fact that it doesn't seem to be slated for single release before a few of the other tracks. Guess we'll see. :dunno:

The GGG/Grace Kelly comment strikes me as dumb not because GGG doesn't sound like Grace Kelly which probably goes without saying for any song...but because it wasn't given the same treatment as Grace Kelly during production. I think if you're going to make any comparison to GK on the album it would be BIOTG since GGG is still a simple piano-based number.

I don't know what there is to complain about with EP tracks being on the album. I don't think it was an either/or decision for Mika and there wouldn't have been other songs on the album if he'd left them off. I would guess that he took the best of the best of his 60-70 demos and turned them into an album, whether it was 10 tracks or 14 tracks or 17 tracks and that's what we've got.

I just think Blue Eyes and Toy Boy tie in with the EP theme...not the album theme, is all :aah:

and I don't think "Touches You" will be a single either.

I just think Blue Eyes and Toy Boy tie in with the EP theme...not the album theme, is all :aah:

and I don't think "Touches You" will be a single either.

We haven't heard touches you yet- Q called it power pop and liked it.

Blue Eyes fits better on the album IMO- it sounded lightweight on the EP but I'm quite liking it mixed with teh snippets. It's also not yet known if he's releasing the same singles everywhere togetherish, or at different times like he did with LICM

If you add up the times for the songs on Amazon, they come to less than 40 minutes. Is that unusual?

We haven't heard touches you yet- Q called it power pop and liked it.

Blue Eyes fits better on the album IMO- it sounded lightweight on the EP but I'm quite liking it mixed with teh snippets. It's also not yet known if he's releasing the same singles everywhere togetherish, or at different times like he did with LICM

If you add up the times for the songs on Amazon, they come to less than 40 minutes. Is that unusual?

Oh I know I haven't heard it yet, but I just have a feeling it won't be released :naughty:

most CDs are over an hour- his should be half price

I meant, are mp3 downloads on the short side

Are they? :blink: I don't own a single album that is over an hour long. I would say most average 40-45 minutes long.

I reckon TBWKTM (cripes alive, that is so hard to remember :sneaky2:) will be the ideal length for a pop album.

This guy does not seem to have ears to have compared Toy Boy to Big Big WORLD ...:blink:..I mean, if he is musically uncapable to judge, why didn't he pay attention to the lyrics at least:blink:

Valid point on Touches You and George Michael's 80s style though...

Edit:

I'm a big big girl in a big big world compared to TB??? :shocked:

Edited by suzie

This guy does not seem to have ears to have compared Toy Boy to Big Big Girl...:blink:..I mean, if he is musically uncapable to judge, why didn't he pay attention to the lyrics at least:blink:

Valid point on Touches You and George Michael's 80s style though...

He was comparing WAG, not Toy Boy, to Big Girl :biggrin2:. But it is still a rubbish comparison!

He was comparing WAG, not Toy Boy, to Big Girl :biggrin2:. But it is still a rubbish comparison!

Sorry, I meant Big Big World ( "I'm a B B girl in a B B world...") I know that song - has no resemblance to TB at all:blink:...and either has Alfie..:shocked:

How could he possibly come up with these songs???

Sorry, I meant Big Big World ( "I'm a B B girl in a B B world...") I know that song - has no resemblance to TB at all:blink:...and either has Alfie..:shocked:

How could he possibly come up with these songs???

Tone deaf? :blink: Some people really are. My father-in-law is :wink2:.

Actually even that's not excuse enough :aah:.

Tone deaf? :blink: Some people really are. My father-in-law is :wink2:.

Actually even that's not excuse enough :aah:.

Some of these reviews actually sound as if they were written for the purpose of drawing attention on the person who wrote them, rather than making any point or any sense of what they are talking about...:blink:

Usually these writers try to squeeze in as many funny / sarcastic / witty adjectives as they can in order to sound knowledgeable / literate / academic / whatever , but instead they end up sounding superficial and empty...

..and I think I already spent time too much time reflecting on this review.:cool:

Some of these reviews actually sound as if they were written for the purpose of drawing attention on the person who wrote them, rather than making any point or any sense of what they are talking about...:blink:

Usually these writers try to squeeze in as many funny / sarcastic / witty adjectives as they can in order to sound knowledgeable / literate / academic / whatever , but instead they end up sounding superficial and empty...

..and I think I already spent time too much time reflecting on this review.:cool:

I really agree with that!:thumb_yello:

And don’t even get me started on film reviews :sneaky2: at least in the papers I read!

It has come to the point that if a certain journalist is writing about how bad a movie is, the bigger reason to actually watch it!:naughty: