Home with Mika (Belgium magazine)

Marly

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
testfav.png

test001.png

Thanks for the scans! :flowers2:

Mika opens the door of his flat with a cup of tea in his hand. Living in London since he was 9 obviously had an influence on him. The singer disappears to the kitchen to put on the kettle and takes us to the living room. We notice that he looks way more athletic than before. “That’s right”, he says. “I work out a lot more. Last summer I went climbing in the Alps. Jumping down 20 m (with a rope) gives a kick. The good thing about climbing is that you have to focus 100%, if you think about work etc you could fall and die.”

When we give Mika a compliment about his apartment, he shrugs his shoulders.

“To be honest I don’t feel at home yet.” He says quietly. “I’m an emotional man who cherishes memories and old stuff. This apartment doesn’t have a soul yet, but I’m sure that will come by spending more time in here.” We notice there isn’t a Christmas tree to be found. “I didn’t have the time yet and I don’t love Christmas trees anymore since I was suspended from school for a few days because I brought a tree in the class whilst it wasn’t Christmas yet.”

He did admit who he’ll spend Christmas with: “I’m not gonna say names or whether it’s a boy or a girl, but I can say that I’m very happy and that I’m currently having the longest relationship of my life. I don’t want to say more because I want to keep some piece of my life private.”

Palestinian carpet

“I’ve got lots of Palestinian carpets and bed covers. My favorite one I bought at a street market in Damascus. It might sound weird, but the carpets and covers remind me of my youth, when the walls of our living room were covered with Lebanese rugs.

Louboutin Shoes

“I’m the only man in the world that Louboutin designs shoes for. Normally he only does that for women. I’m an experiment to him. He wanted to know if he could also create comfortable and nice shoes for a man and I wanted to be his guinea pig. I adore his shoes, they’re o comfortable. Maybe because they’re custom made. To make the perfect shoes for me, he has a wooden model of my two feet in his workshop.

Donald Duck bike

“This isn’t just any bike, it’s a work of art! It’s a Shelbybike, there are just a few like that in the world. The bike was made in 1949, they went bankrupt a bit later. I bought this one in Georgia, USA. I’ve had the bike for years, but never drove it since I can’t ride a bike.”

Mirror

“My flat isn’t that big. Because of this mirror it looks bigger than it is. I admit I look in it a lot as well before I go out. Just to make sure I look alright.”

Charles Schulz illustration

“I love the work of illustrator Schulz and especially his drawings of the cartoon characters Snoopy & Peanut. That duo is so funny!”

Bright colored flowers

“I love a sober interior with some bright eyecatchers like the flowers and my chair. If everything would be white and neutral, it’d be boring. Everyone knows I hate that.”

Artwork upside down

“I love art and have a lot of paintings. They all used to hang on the walls, but that was too busy. I need a clean interior because I’m that colourful myself. This is the only big piece I wanted on my wall. I love it because the text is upside down.”

White piano

“I’ve had this piano since I was 2. The songs of my first and 2nd album were written on this one. Since I’ve had everything redecorated, I wasn’t able to write a single letter or note tho. It doesn’t seem to be working here anymore. Maybe because it’s too new? Or because I’m too happy? I don’t know. Now I go to the recording studio and I write over there.”

White walls

“I’m obsessed with white walls ……. (we know the story ;))”

Internet cables

“I wanted to have internet everywhere but didn’t want any of those ugly cables. To me, the internet is THE invention of the century. Thanks to the internet my music got discovered. It’s sad the net wasn’t there yet when I was young. I wouldn’t have felt so lonely and would have reached out to people online. I’d probably have found a partner way sooner as well.”

Bright colored couch

“This reading couch doesn’t only sit unbelievably comfortable, at one side there’s this place for books and magazines as well. So practical! It’s true that there isn’t enough room for my lover, but you don’t have to sit together all the time.”

Bolded parts - :lmfao::lmao:

Love the story about his white piano and bright coloured details in his room :wub2:

Bright colored couch

“This reading couch doesn’t only sit unbelievably comfortable, at one side there’s this place for books and magazines as well. So practical! It’s true that there isn’t enough room for my lover, but you don’t have to sit together all the time.”

Is there any place left for Ella the Dog?? :lmfao:

Well excuse me that there isn't a word for 'lief' in the english language :sneaky2: Lover is the closest one possible :shun:

:bleh:

I'd translate 'lief' as love. I don't think Mika would use word 'lover' because that'd be kind of...too explicit for him? :naughty: I can't imagine him saying that :dunno: And besides, lover is a person who you have sex with, nothing more serious... Partner would be *too* serious word,like you said... So I think the most appropriate translation would be 'love'. I find it more sophisticated and romantic than 'lover'.

Oh really? You guys don't use it that way? What word do you use? Do you use 'vrijer'? I'm right tho, no? I couldn't think of an appropriate word in English :teehee: Partner is too serious, mate is too... weird LOL.

No, not vrijer, that is oldfashioned I believe.

I just asked my 14-year old daughter, we say vriend(je). Sometimes that makes things unclear to know what you mean. A friend, or just a friend.\

Mate sounds Australian to me.

I'd translate 'lief' as love. I don't think Mika would use word 'lover' because that'd be kind of...too explicit for him? :naughty: I can't imagine him saying that :dunno: And besides, lover is a person who you have sex with, nothing more serious... Partner would be *too* serious word,like you said... So I think the most appropriate translation would be 'love'. I find it more sophisticated and romantic than 'lover'.

But love sounds too sweet for "lief". When we use "lief" here, it really is something like boyfriend/girlfriend, nothing more, nothing less. But it's easy because lief isn't male or female, it's just neutral. Love sounds more like a pet name to me. But idd, lover is too much 'sex', love is too much love and too romantic LOL. Oh well, I dunno... That's the problem with translations :naughty: I can easily imagine him having said partner tho.

No, not vrijer, that is oldfashioned I believe.

I just asked my 14-year old daughter, we say vriend(je). Sometimes that makes things unclear to know what you mean. A friend, or just a friend.\

Mate sounds Australian to me.

Yeah idd, here 'lief' is more something teenagers use, 'vriend' or 'vriendin' is what we 20-30 something people call their partner :teehee: We differentiate by saying: 'mijn vriend' or 'een vriend van me' :naughty:

Archived