• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 years later...

http://helenafrithpowell.com/uncategorized/and-the-winner-is

And the winner is…

Posted on March 11, 2010

Question: what do Gwyneth Paltrow, Hugh Grant, Mika, Clive Owen, Kevin Spacey, Michelle Rodriguez and I have in common? Answer: we were all at the Laureus Sports Awards at the Emirates Palace Hotel on Wednesday night. The Oscars may have been and gone on Los Angeles, but here in Abu Dhabi we had our own version.

The evening started as well as it could. I walked into a lift of seven or so Springboks. “I can now die happy,” I told Rupert, who looked quite grumpy. He soon cheered up though when Gwyneth wafted past in a shimmering gown looking like an angel.

The ceremony was great fun, a bit like the Oscars in format and hosted by Kevin Spacey. Mid-way through Mika appeared with his band and belted out two numbers, it was fabulous. Here I am at the after-party with him, looking dreadful but I have overcome my vanity to share the glorious moment with you.

mikaandme.jpg

At one stage one of the organisers came up to my friend Jeremy and I. She leaned forward to whisper in my ear. This is it, I thought, Hugh Grant has finally matured and decided what he needs is an older woman. Sadly she just wanted to tell me there was less of a queue for food at the far buffet. So I didn’t meet Hugh, who was looking slightly rough I have to say though still cute, but I did meet Clive (very charming), Fabio Cappello (very short and wrinkly), Michelle Rodriguez (totally sweet) and Mika, and his mother, father, band and sister who were all really lovely. Mika’s mum and I compared notes about how tough it is to get your children to do piano practice. She told me she had “tears and fighting” all the time and that she used to sit behind them to make sure they did their practice. “I used to nod off,” she laughed. “It was a good place to take a nap.”

We partied until after 3am. From the lovely outside surroundings (see pic) we went to the hotel nightclub where I boogied next to Boris (Becker) for a while before heading home in a star-struck state.