no airtime for mika ...

Steph

I' ve just lost my lot I had just typed...

So I shall start again:

Just checked out the new playlists of some radio stations for the coming 7 days:

Radio 1 ....... no Mika songs but Kaiser Chiefs Ruby

Radio 2 ........no Mika songs but Kaiser Chiefs Ruby

Virgin Radio....Grace Kelly and Kaiser Chiefs Ruby

Now this proves my point: the power of DJs personal tastes determines how often a song is played and this means the fewer one hears a tune, the less likely one is persuaded to go out and buy the song or remember the tune..

I think it is wrong to have a no 1 song whch is not included in the regular playlist for fans to enjoy

I only hope that some DJs attend tomorrow's show at the \KOKO and come out red-faced because they have just witnessed a brilliant delivery of some very clever songs (with deeper meanings attached)and that they then realize that Mika will prove them all wrong, that he is not just a one-hit number...

Sorry to go on but this has made me very angry as have some of the very negative reviews he has been getting from jounalists who have not listened to his songs properly and only saw the pomp as superficial campness

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wholeheartedly agree with you, although Jo Wiley did play Grace Kelly this morning. I have heard certain DJs say one hit wonder, but they'll be sorry later, and won't be all be laughing:naughty:

Me angry too.

Well... I think we should write to the BBC in droves and complain. You can still nominate Grace Kelly as Record of the Week on

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/dermot/recordoftheweek.shtml

- say it still deserves to be on R1 and R2 playlist and not unfairly overlooked, because... 'Hello'... it's still the Number One song.

Well I did.

CW.

On BBC R1 there is an opportunity to tell JK and Joel what you want to hear, but looks like you have to do a whole play list.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/mytunes/

Maybe it would be a protest if we all wrote in and just filled out just a blank with Grace Kelly or all the other blanks with Mika songs.....?

It's as though they want Mika out of that top spot on Sunday and doing their darndest.

Ore you can follow the Contact Us link on the left side, and there are about 30 DJ's to e-mail separately.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/help/contactus/

Just checked the less fickle VIRGIN RADIO and Grace Kelly still there in the Playlist for this week.

http://www.virginradio.co.uk/music/we_play/playlist/index.html

On 4Music - there's a tracklisting for Sunday which includes Love Today

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/shows/chart/tracklisting.shtml

CW.

i've just emailed both r1 & r2 with a lenthy complaint.

esp r1, as they were determined to push Mika off (see my postings during the past few days) they were and still are pushing Ruby to the limit

it is totally wrong and just shows the power of djs

Once again, DJ's do not choose the playlist. Producers and Schedulers do.

I think it's good that 'Grace Kelly' has been removed, Radio was starting to play it far too much. This allows 'Grace Kelly' to die down a bit for promotion of the next single 'Love Today' which as CW says is on the Capital Radio playlist already :)

"Grace Kelly" is still one of the 10 "DJ Picks" on Capital Radio

http://www.capitalfm.com/Article.asp?id=340019

Comprises: Lucio, The Klaxons, Jamie T, Lady Sovereign, Sophie Ellis Bexter, Paul Gillies, Just Jack, Mika, Mr Hudson and the Library, The Hours.

The Mka item reads......

Mika

"Probably the most talked about artist at the moment, with comparisons to Freddie Mercury even being made. 'Grace Kelly' is just the beginning. Believe the hype, Mika is going to be huge!"

Listen to 'Grace Kelly'

---

CW.

Me angry too.

Well... I think we should write to the BBC in droves and complain. You can still nominate Grace Kelly as Record of the Week on

- say it still deserves to be on R1 and R2 playlist and not unfairly overlooked, because... 'Hello'... it's still the Number One song.

Well I did.

CW.

I have too ! Radio stations be ware! Do NOT I repeat DO NOT upset the Cautionary Wife she has been though enough what with her husband leaving and...........

xx

i have written to them and got an acknowledgement, if we all do it they might discuss it...people's power! (look at the petition to tony blair, it can work!!!)

Anyway, who says ythere cannot be more than one song played by the same artist, they could play an assortment, just to get some tunes on air, after all they are wholesomely brilliant, surely in the days of the Beatles the charts had severakl entries by them.

Mika is such a new and provocative writer/performer that he needs to break through the established ideas of what should be heard/played and he can only do that if he is heard and listened to.......everywhere otherwise his fresh ideas and energy dry out!

for those who have not read it, here he talks about the making of the video of love today

So your songs tell some pretty mad stories. Are they real?

Some of them are real and some of them are hyped-up reality based on bits of truth. Bits are autobiographical. I’m working on the ‘Love Today’ video at the moment and the whole concept for it is a story of a hooker who’s too old and she never gets picked up. We called her Carolina and every night we would check out if Carolina got some business.

Then there’s another story of this little girl who comes from a middle class family and then as soon as her parents …Anyway there are always these little stories and in the video it’s… I don’t even know what I’m saying… In the video we’re talking about all these stories, whether you’re a hooker or a guy who can’t get laid and you get depressed or whether you’re a girl who lives a secret life from her parents and who is insanely horny and slutty. Everyone is exactly the same and we’re all just trying to get the same things just in different ways. I wish I knew the point I was trying to make!

so you see his songs all have a much deeper meaning...

for those who have not read it, here he talks about the making of the video of love today

So your songs tell some pretty mad stories. Are they real?

Some of them are real and some of them are hyped-up reality based on bits of truth. Bits are autobiographical. I’m working on the ‘Love Today’ video at the moment and the whole concept for it is a story of a hooker who’s too old and she never gets picked up. We called her Carolina and every night we would check out if Carolina got some business.

Then there’s another story of this little girl who comes from a middle class family and then as soon as her parents …Anyway there are always these little stories and in the video it’s… I don’t even know what I’m saying… In the video we’re talking about all these stories, whether you’re a hooker or a guy who can’t get laid and you get depressed or whether you’re a girl who lives a secret life from her parents and who is insanely horny and slutty. Everyone is exactly the same and we’re all just trying to get the same things just in different ways. I wish I knew the point I was trying to make!

so you see his songs all have a much deeper meaning...

I'm really looking forward to the video of Love today. I love the way his songs have a deeper meaning it makes them more memorable/meaningful.

Thanks for posting that :thumb_yello:

Liking the sound of the Love Today video, can't wait to see it.

As far as Grace Kelly goes, I read the mandate for playlist tracks on R1 on their website last night, and it states that tracks are on the list for a total of 6 weeks, so I guess that answers that question. So if that is the case,how come when ODB and Kelis had their song out (the title escapes me at the moment, if anyone would like to jump in feel free) it seemed to be played on every show, every day for about 6 months constantly. It was doing my head in, I even started turning the radio down when it came on.:bash:

Me angry too.

Well I did.

CW.

Yes, I did it.

Mika, you're my number :thumb_yello:

• 4 weeks later...

Love Today has been added to next week's playlist for Radio 2. It's only on the C-list but should move up the following week.

MUSIC PLAYED Week Commencing: 24 March 2007

Missed last week's playlist? Check it out now!

A List - B List - C List : Find out more about the Radio 2 playlist.

A LIST

*NEW* BEVERLEY KNIGHT - No Man's Land

*NEW* TRAVIS - Closer

STEFY - Chelsea

LOUISE SETARA - Love Me Still

CHRISTINA AGUILERA - Candyman

LEMAR - Tick Tock

CHERRY GHOST - Mathematics

GWEN STEFANI feat. AKON - The Sweet Escape

MARK RONSON - Stop Me

B LIST

THE PROCLAIMERS feat. SPECIAL GUESTS - I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)

BOB DYLAN - Thunder on the Mountain

RAZORLIGHT - I Can't Stop This Feeling I've Got

KAISER CHIEFS - ALBUM: Yours Truly Angry Mob

INXS - Devil's Party

ELTON JOHN - Tinderbox

TAKE THAT - Shine

JAMELIA - No More

THE SHINS - Australia

JOSS STONE - Tell Me What We're Gonna Do Now *Radio Edit*

C LIST

*NEW* PINK MARTINI - Hey Eugene!

*NEW* BRETT DENNEN - Ain't No Reason

*NEW* GARETH GATES - Angel On My Shoulder

*NEW* MIKA - Love Today

BRYAN FERRY - Album: Dylanesque

THE GOOD, THE BAD & THE QUEEN - Green Fields

ERASURE - I Could Fall In Love With You

TINY DANCERS - I Will Wait For You

SCOTT MATTHEWS - Passing Stranger

BRETT ANDERSON - Love Is Dead

SCISSOR SISTERS - She's My Man

JAMES MORRISON - Undiscovered

BEN TAYLOR - Nothing I Can Do

Edit - just checked ... also made the C-list for Radio 1 too!