Norah holds off Mika on charts (CANADA) (March 2007)

JAM! SHOWBIZ, CANADA

By JOHN WILLIAMS

Senior Editor, JAM! Showbiz

Mar 7, 2007

Mika lands at No. 2.

Mika's debut "Life in Cartoon Motion" made a commotion on the Canadian album charts this week.

The London-based singer-songwriter's new disc, buoyed by the hit single "Grace Kelly," debuted at No. 2 on sales of over 6,000 copies, according to Nielsen SoundScan data.

Mika (last name Pennimen), whose sound mixes the Scissor Sisters and Elton John with a little bit of Freddie Mercury in between, has been garnering a lot of attention through his MySpace page, where he has attracted a quarter of a million listeners this year.

However, Mika's big debut it wasn't enough to unseat Norah Jones's "Not Too Late," which remained at No. 1 for a fifth straight week with over 8,000 in sales.

The second-best debut went to Zachary Richard, whose disc "Lumiere dans le noir" landed at No. 3, racking up just under 6,000 in sales.

The movement up top forced the compilation "2007 Grammy Nominees" to fall from No. 2 to No. 4, Justin Timberlake's "FutureSex/LoveSounds" was locked in at No. 5 for a second week in a row, and Fall Out Boy's "Infinity on High" dropped three spots to No. 6.

Jann Arden's "Uncover Me" sank from No. 4 to No. 7, Nelly Furtado's "Loose" dropped two to No. 8, Akon's "Konvicted" held steady at No. 9, and Daughtry's self-titled album rounded out the top 10 at No. 10.

Other notable debuts included the compilation "Juno Awards 2007" at No. 13, Craig Sharpe's "I Am" at No. 28, and "Euromix 2007" at No. 35.

In the U.S., Daughtry's self-titled effort hit No. 1, followed by Norah Jones in second, Akon's "Konvicted" in third, Fall Out Boy in fourth, and Robin Thicke's "The Evolution of Robin Thicke" in fifth.

---

CW.

Edited by Blue Sky

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i was gonna stick to downloading before i first heard his music, coz it's been a while since i liked ALL the songs on an artist's cd equally- i find it easier to just choose the ones i like.

but mika changes everything! i love everything, and will deffo buy the cd coz, well, it wont be the same not having it! :)

• 4 years later...
Truly amazing. Nice work Mika....he is sweeping the world by his music!!

I see you are a new member. Welcome to the fanclub. Just so you know, this is a thread from 2007. It's an easy mistake to make. I've seen many threads that I've thought, or hoped, were recent, and they've actually been bumped from years ago. Now I check the date on the thread before I read or post on it.

But the important thing, for now, is that Mika is still kicking ass. His new album will do wonderfully well, I'm sure.