• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey everyone, can you art genious give tips to draw like people's bodies(like mika) and faces? Thanks!:bleh:

i have a couple: to draw people i always work off of a photo. i graph the photo (usually in 1/2 inch squares) and then multiply it by 2, 3, or whatever. That way you can draw a bigger picture but keep the same proportions. then you just draw what you see in each square. Lightly sketch, of course. Am i making sense here??

also, when i am drawing i concentrate on what SHAPES i see, not what i am actually drawing. for example, when i am drawing a nose, i look at the triangle shape and draw that rather than try to draw the nose.

another thing that helps me is when shading, get the darkest and lightest parts down first!!! then you have established the range of values from which you want to work with. i prefer to use drawing pencils, because they have a larger range in value than regular pencils. and don't be afraid to do dramatic shading. it might look funny at first, but trust me, it will look better in the end. a drawing with no shading looks flat. again, when shading, look at shapes.

FACES: the corners of the eyes are usually at about the same level where the top of the ears should be. (you can feel it on your own face) the bottom of the ears should be where the bottom of the nose is. the eyes are always right on the center line of the head. (i know that seems weird but it's true.) the hairline is usually halfway between the eyes and the top of the head.

when drawing the mouth (mouths are hard), DO NOT DRAW THE LIPS FIRST!! many people try to do this and the screw up the proportions and don't get the smile right. first you should draw the line that divides the lips, them shade the lips accordingly. the dividing line should be most prominent.

man oh man, i did not expect to be writing this much!!

one last thing: always sketch out the entire picture first (with little shading). This way you can get the proportions right, and as you work on smaller areas, you won't get carried away and make a single part way smaller or bigger than it is in the photo/ according to the rest of the drawing.

*wipes forehead* phew!!! i hope that helps a little!! hope i wasnt too confusing, and if u have any more questions, i would be happy to answer.

p.s. if you are questioning if i really know how to draw or not, just take a look at my sig!! i drew those. lol just so you know im not making random stuff up!! :wink2:

i have a couple: to draw people i always work off of a photo. i graph the photo (usually in 1/2 inch squares) and then multiply it by 2, 3, or whatever. That way you can draw a bigger picture but keep the same proportions. then you just draw what you see in each square. Lightly sketch, of course. Am i making sense here??

also, when i am drawing i concentrate on what SHAPES i see, not what i am actually drawing. for example, when i am drawing a nose, i look at the triangle shape and draw that rather than try to draw the nose.

another thing that helps me is when shading, get the darkest and lightest parts down first!!! then you have established the range of values from which you want to work with. i prefer to use drawing pencils, because they have a larger range in value than regular pencils. and don't be afraid to do dramatic shading. it might look funny at first, but trust me, it will look better in the end. a drawing with no shading looks flat. again, when shading, look at shapes.

FACES: the corners of the eyes are usually at about the same level where the top of the ears should be. (you can feel it on your own face) the bottom of the ears should be where the bottom of the nose is. the eyes are always right on the center line of the head. (i know that seems weird but it's true.) the hairline is usually halfway between the eyes and the top of the head.

when drawing the mouth (mouths are hard), DO NOT DRAW THE LIPS FIRST!! many people try to do this and the screw up the proportions and don't get the smile right. first you should draw the line that divides the lips, them shade the lips accordingly. the dividing line should be most prominent.

man oh man, i did not expect to be writing this much!!

one last thing: always sketch out the entire picture first (with little shading). This way you can get the proportions right, and as you work on smaller areas, you won't get carried away and make a single part way smaller or bigger than it is in the photo/ according to the rest of the drawing.

*wipes forehead* phew!!! i hope that helps a little!! hope i wasnt too confusing, and if u have any more questions, i would be happy to answer.

p.s. if you are questioning if i really know how to draw or not, just take a look at my sig!! i drew those. lol just so you know im not making random stuff up!! :wink2:

you're great :o

thank you!

lol except you couldn't record everything cause you'd fall asleep before the end lol. When I paint, I start at one moment.... then when I stop, I often realize that about 20 hours have ran lol

Wow really? You could always speed it up in some movie editor thing :naughty:

But there is a video on my main page on myspace !!!!:wink2:

The local television had made an interview while I'm painting a HUUUUUUUUUUUGE Mika (from the picture my friend Fanny took with my camera in Bruxelles, the first time Mika had a painting from me: the one with the purple background), it's in my flat and I'm painting what is now in my bedroom, just above my giant pillow.

This one really means something for me as it's when Mika took several minutes to give me confidence about my paintings, and that had given me the strength to make it my job. Now thanks to these minutes he spent for me, thanks to his determination to make me selfconfident, I'm having a permanent exhibition in a big hotel in Kensington. And he keeps informed about it when he meets me which is more than I would have ever expected.

This is why I will never be able to sell any of his portraits, and why he knows they all belong to him and him only. I'm forever his debitor.

MIKA is my hero. :) Now you know why. He REALLY changed my life, efficiently and concretely.

i'm so glad mika did this for you.you really are a true artist.

i know it's not easy to make a job of the art you make. in my experience people around you not always take you serious.

mika really is a sweet and honest person , he knows how to give people convident.

he has done it with me too with my dresses.

i'll never forget that , but still i'm not convident enough to take the big step and make my job out of designing.

i guess i need to meet mika more :roftl: i have no problem with that :naughty:

:) Thank you !! Yes Mika is so incredibly nice and always doing the best he can to support whoever he can. He's dedicated to us and I don't know anyone who does as much as he does.

Oh and, all of the pictures of my paintings are there on MySpace, yes.

Ohhh WOW!!!! What a fantabulous amazing story. I can't even believe it. He changed lots of our lives, but he literally reached in and CHANGED yours!! I am so super glad for you that you are doing what you love and are incredible at. And he keeps informed - that makes me a little teary. I would love to see more of your art. I have to go back to bed for a bit (couldn't sleep) but when I get up, I will be checking out your Myspace. I hope it has lots of your art! :D:thumb_yello:

lol it could be funny to try ! Ok, deal ! lol but I don't promise I'll solve the problem of the size of the file. I only have a 2BG card for my camera... lol

:roftl: that's insaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane lol

Wow really? You could always speed it up in some movie editor thing :naughty:

Tehehehe yep sure, more Mika meeting lol definitely !! (even if not, let's pretend :roftl:)

Yeah I just feel the same, I feel deep inside that this is more thanks to him than thanks to myself. But then, it would be refusing his gift not to believe in myself. He has no time, but took some to speak with me, this deserves the best of consideration. And as Sting would sing: "If I ever lose my faith in you (Mika) there'll be nothing left for me to do"

Then, not simply as a friend Pat or because I want to agree with Mika, but as an artist who is not so easily impressed, let me tell you that what you do is one of the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Your dresses are absolutely fantastic, and I objectively mean every word I've written now.

Your dresses deserve perfectly to become your full time job. You can't lose with so much talent in your hands.

i'm so glad mika did this for you.you really are a true artist.

i know it's not easy to make a job of the art you make. in my experience people around you not always take you serious.

mika really is a sweet and honest person , he knows how to give people convident.

he has done it with me too with my dresses.

i'll never forget that , but still i'm not convident enough to take the big step and make my job out of designing.

i guess i need to meet mika more :roftl: i have no problem with that :naughty:

Tehehehe yep sure, more Mika meeting lol definitely !! (even if not, let's pretend :roftl:)

Yeah I just feel the same, I feel deep inside that this is more thanks to him than thanks to myself. But then, it would be refusing his gift not to believe in myself. He has no time, but took some to speak with me, this deserves the best of consideration. And as Sting would sing: "If I ever lose my faith in you (Mika) there'll be nothing left for me to do"

Then, not simply as a friend Pat or because I want to agree with Mika, but as an artist who is not so easily impressed, let me tell you that what you do is one of the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Your dresses are absolutely fantastic, and I objectively mean every word I've written now.

Your dresses deserve perfectly to become your full time job. You can't lose with so much talent in your hands.

you are so sweet , you bring tears to my eyes :blush-anim-cl:

this was my first one (maybe you've already seen it)

169101445_5_zS1q.jpeg

169101444_5_GCnM.jpeg

169101443_5_sxPt.jpeg

this is my second dress (i wore it in westerpak)

296094586_5_11Rx.jpeg

and this is the matching handbag

197230289_5_z8R1.jpeg

OMG, your stuff is so amazing:shocked::shocked: