Mika in US Press - 2016

charlie20

https://www.washingtonblade.com/2016/02/09/mika-releases-music-video-with-anti-bulling-message/

Mika releases music video with anti-bullying message

Mika_Hurts_Screenshot_600_by_400.jpg

(Screenshot courtesy of YouTube)

Mika dropped a new music video for “Hurts (Remix)” this week featuring an anti-bullying message.

In the video, the British singer helps three teenagers deal with verbal bulling. Together, they paint over a wall scribbled in insults written in Italian and English.

“Nothing’s only words, that’s how hearts get hurt,” Mika sings on the track.

“Hurts (Remix)” is included on the Italian deluxe version of Mika’s latest album “No Place in Heaven.”

Mika, who is gay, has spoken out about homophobia he has faced by posting pictures of posters with homophobic slurs on them on his social media accounts.

“I saw the photos and my instinct was not to do anything, because hatred, which I know very well, would be better off ignored,” Mika tweeted according to Pop Crush. “But let’s break the silence! I have no fear of those who discriminate against me—no one should. Love does what it wants.”

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.avclub.com/article/mika-channels-movie-and-music-star-grace-kelly-232429

Mika channels a movie and a music star in “Grace Kelly”

By Becca James

640.jpg

In Hear This, The A.V. Club writers sing the praises of songs they know well. This week: In honor of the Oscars, songs named after celebrities.

Mika, “Grace Kelly” (2007)

As far as I can tell, there’s a long history of artists being told by their record company to be a certain way, which leads to them refusing, writing a song about it, and it charting. Pink accomplished this with the popular 2001 single “Don’t Let Me Get Me,” blatantly calling out record executive L.A. Reid—“L.A. told me, ‘You’ll be a pop star / All you have to change is everything you are.’” Sara Bareilles also comes to mind with her 2007 hit single “Love Song,” a tongue-in-cheek response to her record label demanding “radio friendly” songs. “I’m not gonna write you to stay / If your heart is nowhere in it / I don’t want it for a minute,” Bareilles sings in protest.

In the same vein, Mika’s 2007 hit “Grace Kelly” rallied against the corporate machine and became one of the U.K.-based artist’s most popular songs. After his label executives tried to model his look and sound on Craig David, another popular U.K. artist, Mika felt frustrated at the thought of adopting different identities to please others: “I try to be like Grace Kelly / But all her looks were too sad / So I try a little Freddie / I’ve gone identity mad!” Grace Kelly, the movie star and Princess Of Monaco, is an interesting choice for Mika (who would go on to be compared to Freddie Mercury because of similar vocals) to sing about, and one that isn’t entirely explained. The bit of dialogue used in the song is from the film The Country Girl, which garnered two Oscars, including Best Actress for Kelly. But other than her name serving as a clever wink at pop culture, the song harkens more toward Freddie Mercury, Elton John, and Brian May, with its impressive vocals and stellar piano and guitar work.

• Like 3

I saw this tweeted on Twitter last week, and replied to them that he has come a long way since then and to check out his new album. No response though.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Another mention of the Sinfonia Pop DVD, this time in a paper from South Mississippi, the Sun-Herald:

This is the excerpt from the larger article:

‘Sinfonia Pop,’ Mika (Eagle Rock Entertainment, ☆☆☆☆)

This May 27 DVD/Blu-Ray/digital release presents worldwide pop phenomenon Mika, who has sold more than 10,000,000 recordings. The full orchestra concert was filmed at Italy’s elegant Teatro Sociale, and the audience seems quite familiar with Mika’s material. The British performer also speaks fluent Italian at times.

I admire his facile voice, which slides easily from tenor/baritone to strong falsetto; and the musical/lyrical hooks of some songs. I’m not familiar with the recorded versions, so my favorites are the percussive “Boum Boum Boum,” the ultra-catchy “Grace Kelly,” the BIG choruses of “Happy Ending” and “Origin of Love” and major audience favorite “Elle Me Dit.”

This isn’t my bag, but American music fans should investigate Mika.

Read more here: http://www.sunherald.com/entertainment/article92544322.html#storylink=cpy

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Mr Greg Wells interview

Headliner magazine

http://headlinermagazine.net/headliners/greg-wells.html

It is an extract of a part of Mika.

FINDING MIKA

Wells cut his first record for record executive, Tommy Mottola’s record label, and although it wasn’t a commercial success, Mottola saw something in Wells’ work, and encouraged him to work with a brand new artist from England called Mika. This was in 2007.

“Tommy called me and said, ‘you should meet this kid, Mika; he’s 20, and I just signed him’. A couple of weeks later, he called again saying he was recommending me to everybody as a writer,” Wells recalls. “All these guys were asking Tommy, ‘who is Greg Wells? Have you even met him?’ And he said, ‘no, I haven’t’, and they said, ‘maybe you should, because you’re cutting everyone else out of the running!’ It was really strange. So he then asked me to New York; I had a one-hour meeting, we got Mika on the phone, and Tommy told him to come to LA to cut a song with me. He then said, ‘what you doing this weekend?’, and that was that [smiles].”

So Wells found himself back in LA, and Mika flew in a few days later. At this stage, all he had was a video of a showcase Mika had played in New York, and no copy of any of his music.

“I showed up, I’d rented a drum kit, had a bass and a guitar, and they had a piano and an engineer,” smiles Wells. “He had this one song called Grace Kelly that really jumped out at me. I suggested working on that, but he wasn’t sure, as he’d demoed it six times, and it was problematic. I said it spoke to me, so we tried it. We then cut it in one day, and everything on it is first take except the vocals. I played everything else as there was no budget to hire anyone else! We were under the gun, didn’t have much time, and it was Mika that said, ‘Greg, you play the piano’, even though I love how he plays. And that is exactly what got released, and it’s his biggest song ever. He really liked how it turned out, and he asked if I could do a second song - a really fun song called Lollipop - and musically it was very different to anything I’d worked on. Mika’s music is hyper-happy, and exaggerated, but he’s had quite a hard life as a child, so his lyrics are kinda messed up. All I know is, I just saw he was a special talent.”

Wells’ management were unconvinced. With two Mika songs in the bag, they wanted him to leave the project and move on. But Wells had other ideas.

“I wanted to make the whole record with Mika, so we spent about six months on it, and then when Grace Kelly came out as the first single, it went to number one within a week, and sat there for seven weeks! We were freaking out!” Wells recalls, with a beaming smile. “His MySpace went from 300 to 25,000 or so overnight, and record sales amounted to almost six million. That’s like 20 million sales, 15 years ago, and that changed everything for him and for me. Labels were suddenly offering me so many projects, whereas before I always felt like I had my hat out, asking what I could do for them, you know? My perception within the industry changed so much.”

Scans from https://issuu.com/headlinerhub/docs/headliner-mpg_awards_special/24?e=11400578/33816145

https://issuu.com/headlinerhub/docs/headliner_13/16

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Billboard

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7400284/strange-fruit-birth-nation-music-synchs-publishing-revenue

6/13/2016

BULLYING 'HURTS

Dance artist Mika, who has credits as a songwriter for Madonna, among others, collaborated with Reservoir Music writer-producer team The Nexus (David Sneddon and James Bauer-Mein) for the track "Hurts" on his 2015 album, No Place in Heaven.

The song then took on a second life after Mika saw the film Un Bacio (A Kiss) from Italian director Ivan Cotroneo with a ­depiction of teenage bullying, a theme of the song. He and Cotroneo teamed up on a video of a remix of "Hurts" that has been viewed 1.8 ­million times on YouTube.

The song then was added to the trailer and credits of the movie before its release in Italy in February.

Billboard

50 Top Gay Anthems to Celebrate LGBT Pride Month

http://www.billboard.com/photos/7408710/gay-anthems-lgbt-pride-top-songs/24

The 50 Best Gay Anthems Of All Time

What makes a song a gay anthem? Like the LGBTQ community, our soundtrack is vast and diverse. There are the obvious dance classics with big-voiced divas. There are also the soul-searching slow jams that mirror our struggles with self-acceptance and social rejection. There are viral sensations that caught our attention, but also underground tracks that some of us haven't discovered yet. While it's impossible to pinpoint exactly what makes a song "gay," this list definitely isn’t straight.

For the sake of diversity, artists were only allowed one song on this list.

28. "Grace Kelly," Mika, 2007

Several of Mika’s songs could have made this list (“We Are Golden,” “Lollipop,” or “Last Party,” a song about Freddie Mercury’s infamous party before he died), but “Grace Kelly” is why we fell in love with him in the first place:

He’s authentically queer and has no interest in conforming.

post-18723-0-52590200-1478589098_thumb.jpg

• 50. "We R Who We R," Kesha, 2010
  • 49. "Heavy Cross," Gossip, 2009
  • 48. "Go West," Pet Shop Boys, 1993
  • 47. "It’s Raining Men," The Weather Girls, 1982
  • 46. "Follow Your Arrow," Kacey Musgraves, 2013
  • 45. "Dancing On My Own," Robyn, 2010
  • 44. "Boys Keep Swinging," David Bowie, 1979
  • 43. "Same Love," Macklemore & Ryan Lewis (feat. Mary Lambert), 2012
  • 42. "Bowlegged & Starving," Jay Brannan, 2008
  • 41. "Dancing Queen," ABBA, 1976
  • 40. "People Like Us," Kelly Clarkson, 2012
  • 39. "I Want to Break Free," Queen, 1984
  • 38. "Firework," Katy Perry, 2010
  • 37. "Come To My Window," Melissa Etheridge, 1993
  • 36. "Finally," CeCe Peniston, 1992
  • 35. "We Are Family," Sister Sledge, 1979
  • 34. "All The Lovers," Kylie Minogue, 2010
  • 33. "The Origin of Love," 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch,' 1998
  • 32. "Rebel Girl," Bikini Kill, 1993
  • 31. "Wild," Troye Sivan, 2015
  • 30. "Raise You Up/Just Be," 'Kinky Boots,' 2012
  • 29. "Ima Read," Zebra Katz (feat. Njena Reddd Foxxx), 2012
  • 28. "Grace Kelly," Mika, 2007
  • 27. "Take Me I’m Yours," Jobriath, 1973
  • 26. "Smalltown Boy," Bronski Beat, 1984
  • 25. "#### You," Lily Allen, 2009
  • 24. "Got To Be Real," Cheryl Lynn, 1978
  • 23. "A Little Respect," Erasure, 1988
  • 22. "Brave," Sara Bareilles, 2013
  • 21. "Freedom! ‘90," George Michael, 1990
  • 20. "Y.M.C.A.," Village People, 1978
  • 19. "Supermodel (You Better Work)," RuPaul, 1993
  • 18. "Raise Your Glass," P!nk, 2010
  • 17. "If I Could Turn Back Time," Cher, 1989
  • 16. "Keep On Livin," Le Tigre, 2001
  • 15. "Take Me Or Leave Me," 'Rent,' 1996
  • 14. "Over The Rainbow," Judy Garland, 1939
  • 13. "Relax," Frankie Goes To Hollywood, 1983
  • 12. "You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)," Sylvester, 1978
  • 11. "Closer to Fine," Indigo Girls, 1989
  • 10. "Vogue," Madonna, 1990
  • 9. "True Trans Soul Rebel," Against Me!, 2014
  • 8. "Don’t Leave Me This Way," Thelma Houston, 1976
  • 7. "Let’s Have a Kiki," The Scissor Sisters, 2012
  • 6. "Constant Craving," k.d. lang, 1992
  • 5. "Beautiful," Christina Aguilera, 2002
  • 4. "True Colors," Cyndi Lauper, 1986
  • 3. "I Will Survive," Gloria Gaynor, 1978
  • 2. "Born This Way," Lady Gaga, 2011
  • 1. "I’m Coming Out," Diana Ross, 1980
Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't know if this is the right thread to post this in, but I am so happy hearing the violin solo from "Any Other World" being used in the Armani Si Perfume commercial.

They must be really pushing to sell it in the US this Christmas because it seems to be on during every commercial break

Not that I mind, any hint of Mika is very much appreciated :yes:

https://youtu.be/0eJQLFQMohA

• Like 1

I don't know if this is the right thread to post this in, but I am so happy hearing the violin solo from "Any Other World" being used in the Armani Si Perfume commercial.

They must be really pushing to sell it in the US this Christmas because it seems to be on during every commercial break

Not that I mind, any hint of Mika is very much appreciated :yes:

added to the thread

Mikas music on TV/film.

Edited by Kumazzz
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...