What do you think about Big Girls (You Are Beautiful) video ?

Yoppappop

yeah - it certaibnly looks natural. it looks like he's just gone outside and decided to dance and everyone has joined in - it does seem like something he woulld do! but i still think he couldve done better. eh shouldve been shaking his skinny little butt in his tight trousers not walking. grrrr. i mean who brteaks their leg WALKING down a street to big girl.....

Whoa. Did he really break his leg? I mean, in real life while shooting the vid for "Big Girls?"

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa. Did he really break his leg? I mean, in real life while shooting the vid for "Big Girls?"

I think Kiwi is talking about a friend (or two) who broke their legs while dancing to Love Today...?

There's no reason to take what you say in a bad way ! Nobody's gonna kill you :wink2:

I agree with what you said, with the whole signification of the video and everything, that in the end, no matter big or whatever, we're all beautiful (biiiiiig shortcut :wink2: )... But you have to agree that as "real" that it's supposed to be, you don't "really" see big girls in tiny laced bright coloured undies walking down the street :wink2: I'm exagerating of course. So it's not supposed to look THAT real...

But once again, talking only about the quality of the video (different plans, cuts...), the time they spend thinking about it before doing the video, the implication of the dancers and so on, it's not really what i could call something well done... They didn't have to take the bitch attitude to dance in an implicated way ! They just had to believe in what they were doing... And it doesn't look like they were believing in anything BUT "how ridiculous am i at the moment" (no offense at all). It looks like it's been done in a rush.

Yes, I absolutely agree with you. I wonder if they would have done some shots of a "big girl" in a professional environment that is absoultly beautiful and classy and some hot guy just notices her and appreciates her beauty....maybe they would have some type of flirtatious exchange? You know some scenes that show everyday life scenario's. I guess that is what I hoped the video would portray. I almost got he impression that some of the "big girls" in the video were not in a comfortable zone...so to speak.

lol! no! one of my friends did, dancing on her bed to love today - she fell off and broke her leg trying to imitate mika's dance moves! it's kinda a running joke..sorry if you didjt get it. his music is dangerous.

They just had to believe in what they were doing... And it doesn't look like they were believing in anything BUT "how ridiculous am i at the moment" (no offense at all). It looks like it's been done in a rush.

Yes, I got that vibe from many of the big girls: That they felt ridiculous. I was a bit disappointed by that, because I really thought they would take the opportunity to strut their stuff. But they didn't, so it made it seem like they didn't believe in the song "Big Girl." At least to me, which made me not "feel" the song. I mean, they literally have to "sell" the song to me, does that make sense? :blink:

And I agree with you about it looking like it had been done in a rush. The editing's wonky.

When I first saw the video for Grace Kelly, my first thought was "This is strangely random..but...I think I actually kind of like it!"

This video is also strange and random. It might be more "low budget" looking than the other two, granted.

But, there's one element to it that I absolutely LOVE.

In the first part of the video, you see Mika and his Big Girl entourage bopping down the street, having a ball in fabulously bright clothing, and the onlookers looking at them like they've lost their minds. His entourage grows, and pretty soon he's got a whole throng of colourful people following him like some crazy technicolour Pied Piper.

That sort of sums up Mika's career to date. Those of us who are "with" him are bopping along behind him in his brightly coloured world of "why not" - and those who aren't "with" him are standing on the sidelines looking at us funny.

Thank, you Mika - I'd say this video is will be another one to be filed under "pointlessly delicious." :thumb_yello:

Yes, I got that vibe from many of the big girls: That they felt ridiculous. I was a bit disappointed by that, because I really thought they would take the opportunity to strut their stuff. But they didn't, so it made it seem like they didn't believe in the song "Big Girl." At least to me, which made me not "feel" the song. I mean, they literally have to "sell" the song to me, does that make sense? :blink:

And I agree with you about it looking like it had been done in a rush. The editing's wonky.

it makes perfect sense. if mika's reasding this he's gonn fell awful. poor boy, it's not his fault.

that a thought! why wasnt hew jumping like a hyperactive 5 year old on a sugar high like he normallly does?

let's just think it was because he was a bit shy and overwhelmed because of all the gorgeous ladies around him:naughty:

But, there's one element to it that I absolutely LOVE.

In the first part of the video, you see Mika and his Big Girl entourage bopping down the street, having a ball in fabulously bright clothing, and the onlookers looking at them like they've lost their minds. His entourage grows, and pretty soon he's got a whole throng of colourful people following him like some crazy technicolour Pied Piper.

That sort of sums up Mika's career to date. Those of us who are "with" him are bopping along behind him in his brightly coloured world of "why not" - and those who aren't "with" him are standing on the sidelines looking at us funny.

Thank, you Mika - I'd say this video is will be another one to be filed under "pointlessly delicious." :thumb_yello:

Yes, but you see... Only Mika looks truly like he's having a ball. Many if not most if not all of the big girls look like they feel absolutely ridiculous. It is true that does sum up Mika's career up to date. I know my brother looks at me funny when I start off on Mika. :blush-anim-cl:

hehe... i lknow thqat look well - the popping eyes, the pursed lips the resigned expression - you can almoast see the cogs moving their brains into 'oh god, not that mika bloke again, better go into power save mode' and they getb the glazed inattentive expression sheep someties get when they've been gazing at the same blade of grass for 20 minutes.

Yes, but you see... Only Mika looks truly like he's having a ball. Many if not most if not all of the big girls look like they feel absolutely ridiculous. It is true that does sum up Mika's career up to date. I know my brother looks at me funny when I start off on Mika. :blush-anim-cl:

Hrm. I can't really see the faces of the girls in the crowd on the YouTube version, because it's kinda low quality. But in the beginning of the video (before the crowd comes in), the handful of gals in the costumes behind him seem to look like they're having fun - particularly the gal in the orange-ish outfit. I'm dying for it to come on iTunes here so I can see a higher res version.

And, I think most people - big girl, small girl, guy, whatever - would feel a tad ridiculous about going out and dancing in the streets, but not necessarily in a bad way. I don't get the impression that anyone felt utterly humiliated by what they were doing. I wish I'd been there that day during filming to guage the feel of the crowd that was there. Peeps who were there - can you offer any insight on that?

Although I must say, I originally envisioned a more glam, night-clubby feel to this video, I guess because it was inspired by nightclub in the first place. And there's no sign of the band, which is a bit unfortunate - they rocked out in Love Today!

For me the big difference was between the fabulous vibrant colourful photos that got posted on MFC here after the shoot, and the somewhat dulled-down effect of the video as a whole. That was disappointing.

I expected MUCH more colour after seeing the photos.

Bits I didn't like were when the balloons released and you could see the material holding them in, when Mika came down the steps and the streamers got in his mouth (!) and then when everyone was dancing in a circle, people were not colourful enough....too much white! And also he didn't get down on his knees at all like he does in concert when he sings "I'm on my knees" which was a GREAT pity:naughty:

But overall I like it.

I rather liked the way it wasn't all..."polished", it made it seem more real and like it's meant for EVERY big girl, I don't know if I am explaining this right, it's just that how it is now makes it more believable, more reachable to the average person, not full of glamorous uber fake people in uber fake locations, with uber fake body parts etc, it's like he is celebrating "REAL" women, I find it quite a genuine celebration.

This is what I said in the other thread yesterday, I still stand by that even after reading everything that has been said in this thread.

I DO however understand how people felt somewhat disappointed with the video because I had the exact same feelings and thoughts about it looking somewhat...like Joe Bloggs had taken the video for example. But then I thought, well perhaps that is deliberate to give the impression that it's about ORDINARY big women, not fake surgically enhanced rich glamorous women, maybe he is trying to bring us back to reality for a change, we have so many images of stick thin, airbrushed perfection of youth or die, that we can't help but try to live up to and fail miserably so punish ourselves over it, that he maybe wanted to remind us that we are HUMAN BEINGS and just normal and this is reality, and we need to celebrate what's going on inside.

Well this is how I am taking this video and even though I am not really a BIG big girl just a pear shaped big girl lol and an ageing one at that,(see and extra disadvantage), then I have taken the meaning of this video and moulded it to my own needs if you like.

If this is his intention then I think it's wonderful and I hope he can make people see that, I would hate it for them to diss it and not realize where it was coming from (if indeed my interpretations of it are correct), if they are not correct, then I can still look at this video in that way as that is how I see it.

does any of this make sense to anyone or have I just waffled on and confused you all lol.

LOVE ya MIka u sweetie. :wink2:

This is what I said in the other thread yesterday, I still stand by that even after reading everything that has been said in this thread.

I DO however understand how people felt somewhat disappointed with the video because I had the exact same feelings and thoughts about it looking somewhat...like Joe Bloggs had taken the video for example. But then I thought, well perhaps that is deliberate to give the impression that it's about ORDINARY big women, not fake surgically enhanced rich glamorous women, maybe he is trying to bring us back to reality for a change, we have so many images of stick thin, airbrushed perfection of youth or die, that we can't help but try to live up to and fail miserably so punish ourselves over it, that he maybe wanted to remind us that we are HUMAN BEINGS and just normal and this is reality, and we need to celebrate what's going on inside.

Well this is how I am taking this video and even though I am not really a BIG big girl just a pear shaped big girl lol and an ageing one at that,(see and extra disadvantage), then I have taken the meaning of this video and moulded it to my own needs if you like.

If this is his intention then I think it's wonderful and I hope he can make people see that, I would hate it for them to diss it and not realize where it was coming from (if indeed my interpretations of it are correct), if they are not correct, then I can still look at this video in that way as that is how I see it.

does any of this make sense to anyone or have I just waffled on and confused you all lol.

i never thought if that! but neither will other veiwers who do not know mika. im definately not a big girl - im a stick girl, and i cal tell you it aint fun. i cant lie on my fromt because get bruising on my ribs! adn i look like a boy. mika makes a good point in saying 'big girl, you are beautiful' - who would want to go out with a girl that looks more like a boy? all those girls are REAL WOMEN in REAL LIFE and mika knows it! but others may not see it that way ( sorry about the rant.)

To me, its the best thing I think I have seen Mika done yet. It is so beautiful and the big girls and everyone else following Mika looks like they are having so much fun. I love the color of it and the homemade look of it, and the reality of the big and little girls and did you notice a few men following in the crowd too? The people on the side looking a bit confused, and yet interested that someone was having fun with the real world.

It was like a video made only from the "cut" scenes, when you really want to know what was really going on there, and you don't want to see the final version, but you want to be a part of the making of it.... And leave it to Mika, to find a way to make you feel like you were really there. Genius!

I love the silliness of it and how it fits so well with the meaning of the song. I am truly overwhelmed and amazed and can't stop watching it. All of his videos seem somewhat homemade to me but never cheap, just pure and not glamd up and boxed into someone else's idea of what reality should look like. Just good old-fashioned silly fun.

If they ever remake a more glamd up version I will be happy for all of the people who didn't like or "get" this one. But this one is the tops for me, I am keeping it in my special little "glitter" box at home, where only speshul things go. :wub2: Thank you, Mika.

i sort of agree - i understand the video, and the concept he uses is great, but i think that if he submits this, it will not make i to #1, or even in the top 10 - io love teh song, and really want it to do well, but this will not appeal to your everyday person - and it's not just fans that count!

i LOVED it!

it reminds me of all the fun 80's videos

when mtv just started....

(yes - i'm old enough to remember all of them!:naughty:)

i especially love the parts where he poses with the big girls

and peaks his head out between their bodies

....between the legs had me giggling like a school girl

the point is...

there doesnt have to be a "point"

its just everyday people having fun

being who you are...

enjoying life...

the people around you...

and drinking up every wonderful and delicious moment!

:biggrin2:

I totally feel the same way... My post saying this is on page 6!!! :-P :punk:

I must say that i absolutely LOVED IT!!!

It is so fun and amazing!!!

And it seems so real and i like how everyone, all types of people are in it, coming together, not just necessarily all big girls in the video, but people come together to love and appreciate big girls!! And all the ages and just everyone is so fantastical!!!! Everyone is a part of it, and i think that makes it even more...... magical.

I also agree about loving the whole homemade, unpolished look!!! It just looks so real and fun!

And i love how everyone is having so much fun, and its all so real and colorful!

Im so happy for all of you guys who were in the video!! You were all amazing in it and you are so lucky to be a part of it!!!

So... YESSS!!!! The video is the BEES KNEES!!! I love it!!! haha

<33333

I liked it...because it looked "put together"!

It kind of reflects how MIKA naturally interacts with his fans, everyone enjoying the dancing in the street party without it being too staged. So yes, I see how it looks almost like a "making of a video" rather than the "real thing" but maybe the point of this video was more about his connection with his fans.

i LOVED it!

it reminds me of all the fun 80's videos

when mtv just started....

(yes - i'm old enough to remember all of them!:naughty:)

i especially love the parts where he poses with the big girls

and peaks his head out between their bodies

....between the legs had me giggling like a school girl

the point is...

there doesnt have to be a "point"

its just everyday people having fun

being who you are...

enjoying life...

the people around you...

and drinking up every wonderful and delicious moment!

:biggrin2:

Thank you for expressing how I feel. Yes, I was giggling too, I especially like the way Mika stuck his head between the waists of the two girls and the look on his face is so adorable. The dancing at the end in the circle reminded me of parties that I have been too, no it never looked like hollywood, but boy was it fun just goofing around! Everyday people having fun, enjoying life. I think you really summed it up for me. Thank you!:thumb_yello: