Describe the moment you fell in love with/discovered MIKA!

BonjourMika1990

I was collapsed over my text books spread over the coffee table when suddenly, a sound like I've never heard before flooded the television speakers. It was beautiful... I looked up and saw a curly head bopping around. My first reaction was, "OOOO a hippy video!" I like Indie music you see... Than I looked at the curly head singing, and he was the most beautiful boy I have ever laid my eyes on. From that moment on, I was in love! I have never in my life felt so compelled to love a complete stranger! Three months later, I met my hero! I will never forget that first moment though, when he came into my life :blush-anim-cl:

What's your story? Don't be afraid to get all poetic lol

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first heard him...I hated him...BrendaLovesMika introduced me to his music

I said to myself "WHO THE HELL HIS THIS GUY TRYING "ALITTLE FREDDIE"?" (Queen fan...not really a hyperactive pop fan either)

I honestly thought he sounded like a cat inside a dryer...(Hey...come on now he said he first didn't like Prince and David Bowie! You just learn to like them after a while)

But I fell in love when I Googled him and saw my first interview with him on YouTube...he had his Tama and playfully rested his head on the interviewers shoulder (everyone on here has seen that one!)

I thought to myself "...what a cutie..."

And so I spent about the next few weeks repeating 30 sec clips on the iTunes U.K store because his albums hadn't come out in America yet...and listening to his songs on his MySpace...

Then he came to New York...I met him and I feel in love with his music! (then joined the MFC...and realized there are Mika fans for insane than myself)

not very dramatic or poetic...but it happened this way

The first time I heard him, I was on the phone with my friend and she told me "Here, listen to this song, I love it!" I just thought "Oh he's cool." And the first time I saw his video I was like "WTF?..."

and then the song just grew on me... LOL

Hmmm...well I downloaded Grace Kelly cuz a friend was talking about it and didn't have the nicest words for it:sneaky2:

I thought, Hey, lets see how bad it really is....I LOVED IT!!! Then I watched the video on Muchmusic.com and thought, Hey he's kind of cute.

Headed over to youtube and proceeded to watch this video over and over....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPy5PmbL4jA

followed by this one....

and I've pretty much been hooked ever since!!!

Hmmm...well I downloaded Grace Kelly cuz a friend was talking about it and didn't have the nicest words for it:sneaky2:

I thought, Hey, lets see how bad it really is....I LOVED IT!!! Then I watched the video on Muchmusic.com and thought, Hey he's kind of cute.

Headed over to youtube and proceeded to watch this video over and over....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPy5PmbL4jA

followed by this one....

and I've pretty much been hooked ever since!!!

It was after watching that interview, that it all happened.... :wub2: (the obsession LOL)

I was watching tv with my little sister and Grace Kelly came on. I was all "ooo colors... piano... curls.... dancing...FUN." and that was in a matter of two seconds before my sister changed the channel. So i tackled her with a running start to get the remote from her. When i finally changed it back i just saw the "kerchinggggga!" and it was love.

the next day i introduced him to my friends and family as 'the man i am going to marry'

strange though becuase i think i'm less obsessed then i was the day i discovered Mika.

Okay. so. I was in the car with my momma and my mom just parked in the driveway. Grace Kelly came on and i was like "WHOA!". and i just got blown away by the amazingness! i was dazed and happy ,and it made me feel funny. made me feel happy/weird. idk. so anyways the song just starts and my mom's like "come on!" and im like, wait just give me the keys i wanna listen to this. So it ended, and the announcer guys said "I wanna be like grace kelly ha ha ha" in that weird announcer voice that tries to be overly cheery and nice. So im like, okay, im on a mission to find out that song and who its by. So i go straight to the computer and go to you tube and type in grace kelly. I press the first link, and its the video. And thats where it all started. I spent that whole night absorbing everything i could about mika. And after a few days of insane obsession, and listening to his songs on you tube since LICM wasnt out in the US yet, i was like, "ok im over this guy" and then, once i found a new video or new website about him, or anything about him, the whole insanity would refresh itself and start over. So its been going on since then, and, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS WHOLE THING! its been pretty much almost the best thing thats happened to me...MIKA , but also, all the friends(*cough*yeee NONO*cough*) I've made and things I've learned, and expieriences i've had(concerts), so its all been a huge benefit of pure happiness, once i found out about mika.and im a completely devoted and obsessed and head over heels, deeply in love, bewitched be body and soul by mika, fan. sorry for the longness. im bored. haha

I said to myself "WHO THE HELL HIS THIS GUY TRYING "ALITTLE FREDDIE"?"

Haha, I know, right? That was essentially my thought, too.

Well, I had gone to check Brian May's website, which I do regularly (I've got that moment at the Queen/Paul Rodgers concert I went to etched in my head when he was beginning to sing Love of my Life and some guy to the right shouted wildly, "FREDDIE!" and Brian had to do a double-take... It was so funny) and read him talking about Mika being compared to Freddie so much. Then I decided to verify those comparisons and looked up the interviews...

Finally I looked up Grace Kelly and I distinctly remember saying to myself, "The new Freddie, huh? We'll see about that" as I searched for the video.

Then I watched it. It was not a case of love at first sight. My reaction was, "Eh. He's alright. Not something I'd go nuts over and listen to every single day."

I left it alone. The next day, I woke up humming the chorus. Literally, I was asleep humming it and woke up because of it. And kept singing it all day at very very unlikely times. Then I heard the phone add on TV with Love Today in the backround which I knew from interviews was his. At last I had decided to give him a second chance and re-looked up Grace Kelly and really listened to it, then Love Today, then Lollipop.

And so it happened I fell inextricably in love with his music and proceeded to go nuts over it and listen to it every single day. I haven't really looked back, after all I mean... See where it got me? This lovely forum with its unofficial family. And which of us can truly regret that?

When I first heard him...I hated him...BrendaLovesMika introduced me to his music

I said to myself "WHO THE HELL HIS THIS GUY TRYING "ALITTLE FREDDIE"?" (Queen fan...not really a hyperactive pop fan either)

I honestly thought he sounded like a cat inside a dryer...(Hey...come on now he said he first didn't like Prince and David Bowie! You just learn to like them after a while)

But I fell in love when I Googled him and saw my first interview with him on YouTube...he had his Tama and playfully rested his head on the interviewers shoulder (everyone on here has seen that one!)

I thought to myself "...what a cutie..."

And so I spent about the next few weeks repeating 30 sec clips on the iTunes U.K store because his albums hadn't come out in America yet...and listening to his songs on his MySpace...

Then he came to New York...I met him and I feel in love with his music! (then joined the MFC...and realized there are Mika fans for insane than myself)

not very dramatic or poetic...but it happened this way

WHICH INTERVIEW WERE YOU TALKING ABOUT? could you send me the link please :)

Haha, I know, right? That was essentially my thought, too.

Well, I had gone to check Brian May's website, which I do regularly (I've got that moment at the Queen/Paul Rodgers concert I went to etched in my head when he was beginning to sing Love of my Life and some guy to the right shouted wildly, "FREDDIE!" and Brian had to do a double-take... It was so funny) and read him talking about Mika being compared to Freddie so much. Then I decided to verify those comparisons and looked up the interviews...

Finally I looked up Grace Kelly and I distinctly remember saying to myself, "The new Freddie, huh? We'll see about that" as I searched for the video.

Then I watched it. It was not a case of love at first sight. My reaction was, "Eh. He's alright. Not something I'd go nuts over and listen to every single day."

I left it alone. The next day, I woke up humming the chorus. Literally, I was asleep humming it and woke up because of it. And kept singing it all day at very very unlikely times. Then I heard the phone add on TV with Love Today in the backround which I knew from interviews was his. At last I had decided to give him a second chance and re-looked up Grace Kelly and really listened to it, then Love Today, then Lollipop.

And so it happened I fell inextricably in love with his music and proceeded to go nuts over it and listen to it every single day. I haven't really looked back, after all I mean... See where it got me? This lovely forum with its unofficial family. And which of us can truly regret that?

HHAHAHAH...I felt like the only one who felt that way!

Yeah...I'm a huge Queen fan, I checked May's site and when he said he was cool with Mika, I said to myself "Well, if Brian approves...I shall approve of this "Mika" as well"

OH...HERE'S THE LINK TO THE INTERVIEW BONJOUR!

The first time I heard of mika was through my HS newspaper. I ran the Entertainment section this year, and a staff writer, a good friend of mine asked to do a feature that I requested for the january Issue: Upcoming Artists in '07. one of the artists he mentioned was Mika, who caught my attention because Brolley (the writer) wrote "Sounds like: Queen." That caught my eye, but a couple months passed.

As is obvious in my avatar, I'm an MTV junkie. Like many other fans in this country, we heard the beginning of "Love Today" advertised in a commercial for the Real World or something on MTV around Feb./March-ish. I don't know if I realized it was Mika. All of these little things like this sort of gradually built up.

Then, Mika was often mentioned on a Queen forum I used to go to. I still get their newsletter and with all the FM comparisons, Mika came up a cople of times in consecutive weekly newsletters. I was like, "Who is this guy everyone says there is another Freddie? How could that be?"

A week later, LICM was on MTV.com's The Leak. This was a week before it came out here. I absolutely LOVED the Cd. I just was so intrigued by it. Being a music fan, that really, really excited me.

I remember reading about Mika @ Borders W/ Perez the day after LICM came out. I'm a regular visitor to Perez.

I mentioned Mika to one of my friends at school, because I figured she would sort of like him. She goes for the whole, "cartoon, bright and colorful thing." She was semi-interested, but later on in May, she ended up ditching me for Nokia tickets so BOO.

After all of this, I googled for fansites etc. and found the MFC. That was probably just after LICM came out in the US. That's my gradual story. Mika just kept hitting me from all directions - Newspaper work, MTV, Queen, Perez... Finally, I was like, "This guy is for me!"

And then everything else was all... amazing. When I found out he was Lebanese, I was like, "OH YA!" and then it went "downhill" from there as some might say, but really, Mika has been nothing but UP for me! :-)

For me it was sometime after I clicked on his pic in this competition for the best newcomer of 2007 (music-related, of course)

I saw his pic, loved his embroidered shirt and remembered that if I liked the packaging of a perfume, I would like the perfume (generally), so since I really liked his, one day I clicked on it. (I had been voting for Corbin Bleu because I love his singing voice.)

So, I did. I watched the Grace Kelly video and I didn't like it--neither the music nor the vid. Then, I saw the "Love Today" vid and I instantly loved the song and I liked the video.

So, I thought, I like his music but...

Then, I asked a friend on Facebook who liked Mika. I think he joined a group called, "I'll trade you James Blunt for Mika" or something along those lines and I asked him what he thought about the CD, since I was considering purchasing it (the CD). He said every song was good and since he's not exactly easy to please, I took his word for it... Later, much later, I bought the CD and I like every song on it, which has never happened before except with (perhaps and not all) El Grupo Niche, but I can't think of any others.

So, yes, it may take awhile to like a Mika song. I know I only liked Love Today at first, I didn't like Grace Kelly nor Relax, Take it Easy. Actually, I hated Relax, Take it Easy, but it grew on me and I had a couple of days where I played it constantly.

I was reluctant to see any interviews/Mika live because frankly, some artists are excellent/good on the CD but crap when they perform live. A fact. So, I didn't want to face disappointment, but I saw one which wasn't so good and I thought: I shall give him another chance, because that's what I would like to be done to me *and* I suspect the one I saw was the worst performance of his. So, it wasn't horrible, but still... a bit bad. Sorry, Mika fans, but the truth must be spoken!

The others that I saw were better and he seems to keep improving. :shocked: Then, I fell in love with his outfit in that London interview (the one with the two scarves and the green shirt and his hair was shorter and curlier). Somehow I fell in love with him.

My mom saw a pic of him (back when I was only into his music) and said: Who's he? He's cute.

Me: Oh, he's a singer whose music I *really* like.

Mom: Oh, he looks so tender (I don't think she really knows what this word means, but it's one of her favs and I'm not about to say....ahem)

Me: Oh, I'm not attracted to him (would be a lie now!). I'm just into his music.

Mom: Awww...

Me: ??? I'm sure he's not sad that I'm not attracted to him, Mom! He doesn't even know I exist.

Mom: Still.

Me: OK.

Now, my mom has a pic of Mika on her bulletin board of the Mika gig we went to in Miami. She really likes him and his music (she thought all the songs were good, and her fave is Billy Brown.) My Dad likes his music, too. My grandma loves his embroidered shirt like me... I think she's where I get my love/fascination for embroidery. She's half-Lebanese like Mika, and straight away she asked if he was too, because of the eyes and eyebrows. Like Mika, she also likes bright clothing. :biggrin2:

Well, I first heard OF Mika from weekly e-mails I get from Queenzone.com.

I didn't even bother looking him up or listening to his music. I was like, "Ugh, another Freddie impersonator." BOY was I stupid.

Then my friends started to like him and they put his songs on their myspaces. Again, I didn't bother listening. I'm not a big fan of modern music like pop and stuff.

One day, my friend was talking to me online and she sent me Grace Kelly. I listened to it and I liked it. SO I went onto myspace and listened to some more songs. I listened to Lollipop and that was it, I fell in love. I was hooked at that moment.

About a week later, I bought the album and REALLY fell in love. And I joined the fanclub about a month or so later. :) And now I'm obsessed. Thanks. LOL.

And I have to say, I don't think Mika sounds a THING like Freddie, which is why I don't understand why people are like, "Down with Mika the Freddie impersonator!" Like I did. :( You really have to listen to his music. The ONLY thing that reminds me of Freddie is his dances and the fact that Mika is great at entertaining. But that's not mimmicking.

And I have to say, I don't think Mika sounds a THING like Freddie, which is why I don't understand why people are like, "Down with Mika the Freddie impersonator!" Like I did. :( You really have to listen to his music. The ONLY thing that reminds me of Freddie is his dances and the fact that Mika is great at entertaining. But that's not mimmicking.

I think that only Mika's "Hey" in Grace Kelly sounds a bit like Freddie, but not enough to mistake/confuse the two. I actually had to listen to more of Freddie to see if it was true, and I still don't see any impersonation. Maybe a tiny bit alike.

I agree with you: He's great at entertaining and his theatricality, but Mika is his own. :wub2:

I think that only Mika's "Hey" in Grace Kelly sounds a bit like Freddie, but not enough to mistake/confuse the two. I actually had to listen to more of Freddie to see if it was true, and I still don't see any impersonation. Maybe a tiny bit alike.

I agree with you: He's great at entertaining and his theatricality, but Mika is his own. :wub2:

Yea. If I say that he sounds nothing like Queen or Freddie and am a HUGE Queen fan, that says something! lol

Yea, that's the only similarity I hear in his songs, also. But I'm sure a lot of people could say "Hey" and sound like Freddie. :)

Yes! And I love Mika for Mika!!!

I had heard GK on one of the music channels hear and one night wanted to get the lyrics for it. googled it and came up with some youtube sites as well (had never used youtube before:shocked: )

Anyway watched the Jools Holliland performance and thought "wow- this guy can actually play live!! How awesome is he!" Then watched the Taratata (relying on subtitles!) and fell in love! That is still my fav interview:mf_rosetinted:

Have spent many a night now trolling through youtube etc looking for new footage!

I would actually like to go back to the moment where I first discovered him, lol. I saw him on a girl that I know's myspace back in December and didn't really think anything of it. I don't have an account on myspace so I can only really look at the home page or whatever of people's sites. I really wish I would have taken notice then but I didn't. Then in January, I was getting up early to go to basketball, and I saw his video on MTV. I started laughing and thought it was a joke but of course, I was glued to the screen. I went to basketball and school without even thinking about it anymore. Then a few days later, they showed a little bit of his video after one of the shows. So then I was thinking, "Who is this guy!?" I got on the internet and honestly didn't even know his name! :shocked: I thought it was Mikey something, lol. Then I was thinking Meeko (like in Pocahontas) and typed in Meeka, which turned to Mika. I went to the Mika Sounds website, and thought it was extremely interesting, lol. So THEN, I went onto youtube and searched him. That Motorola commercial with Chris Kattan came up. I KNEW that I had heard the song before (Love Today) and realized I had heard it on MTV (the Doom, da da... part, I don't know how to spell it, lol) I actually sang Love Today without even knowing who Mika was! Then I pre-ordered the album online and stayed on Mika Sounds for awhile. I got tired of that though, and finally found this site in February, and I've been hooked EVER since. I am really glad I was bored enough one day to search Mika. I almost gave up 'cause I didn't know his name. Can you imagine if I never found out about him?!?!

I had heard GK on one of the music channels hear and one night wanted to get the lyrics for it. googled it and came up with some youtube sites as well (had never used youtube before:shocked: )

Anyway watched the Jools Holliland performance and thought "wow- this guy can actually play live!! How awesome is he!" Then watched the Taratata (relying on subtitles!) and fell in love! That is still my fav interview:mf_rosetinted:

Have spent many a night now trolling through youtube etc looking for new footage!

Jolene - Taratata is my favourite too! When he sings that French song - Champs Elysees, his voice is to die for! What the heck is the term for that when he does that mini yodelling thingy with his voice (up and down stuff) god it almost makes me ... oh never mind (too much info) :naughty:

I didn't know who he was when I heard GK for the first time on the radio (November 2006), but I immediately went to google it and discoverd the video. Then all the youtube vids as you mentioned above and another one of my favourites is when he went to the London Zoo with the PopWorld girl (can't remember her name - quite a cute couple they made though). When he mentioned Lollipop was his favourite ('coz its my favourite too) and he said it was for his little sister and he gave that naughty grin - oh well, I just about melted...geez, I'm getting all hot and bothered all over again. :wub2::blush-anim-cl:

I first heard Mika about a year ago (wooot!) when someone had sent Brian May a letter saying "You should listen to this guy, he sounds like Freddie, especially on the song 'Grace Kelly'" and me being the huge Queen fan I am was like "What?" so I clicked the link and I was like "he doesn't sound like Freddie, but I love this song!"It was like love at first sound haha. I liked him then, but it wasn't til like March that I became obsessed...I don't remember how though. Mika is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I've discovered this glorious website and have gained amazing friends (*cough Vanessa cough* haha) and yeah. Thats when my life changed.:biggrin2:

i was at home after work.... surfing the web and than went to check out this forum of matchbox twenty that a friend of mine made few years ago.... that we chat in sometimes....

SO i saw a thread that a girl i know from the forum made... it was something like "HOW NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS GUY BEFORE???"

i went in....read her post and she put a link to GRACE KELLY video... i clicked it... 3 seconds passed...and i fell in love.

i was like "HELLO!!!! WHO ARE YOU?!?!?"

than a day after at work i told EVERYONE they gotta hear this song! i went to look for more MIKA videos on YouTubes but back than there were only about 10... lol (i seriously think it was even less than 10).

and than! i came to this forum and look at me now ;)