why isnt mika famous in the Unites States?

Francesca

I have the same problem in Romania!(which is in Europe)

Most people listen to dance and trance music ,they also prefer Justin Timberlake ,Nelly Furtado or Timberland instead of good and quality music !

But the only single which is played most at the radio is Relax (take it easy)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read the opposite in the sun newspaper uk saying hes cracked america with his ugly betty rerecording ... lol - here is the article :

BRITAIN’S MIKA has well and truly cracked America.

The singer has recorded a special version of his Top Ten hit Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) for hit TV show Ugly Betty. It features in the worldwide promo campaign for the new series of the cult TV show.

The campaign, created in the US by ABC TV, sees Betty and the crew acting out to Mika’s hit, which is re-sung as “Betty Girl†with a chorus “Hey Betty, You Are Beautiful

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2007370892,00.html

I hope mika does crack america, he deserves it ! give it time you can't not love mika ! ... :naughty:

It is really frustrating!! I have tried to spread the Mika Magic around Canada but I am just one person!! Most people have no clue who he is!! I know things will change in North America but I am soooo tired of waiting, people just don't know what they are missing out on :bleh:

Quite easy,the US music culture is quite retarded :lmao:

No,but seriously,it's either lame "let's use the same style over and over again" pop,or rap/hip hop

I mean who (and by "who" I mean an artist that dose not belong to the upper categories ) is in the US top 20 beside Justin Timberlake,TimbalandRihanna and the bunch of joyful rappers?

No,but seriously,it's either lame "let's use the same style over and over again" pop,or rap/hip hop

I mean who (and by "who" I mean an artist that dose not belong to the upper categories ) is in the US top 20 beside Justin Timberlake,TimbalandRihanna and the bunch of joyful rappers?

AMEN! America is SOOOO close-minded and formulatic when it comes to mainstream music!! UGH!!

Yeah, true.

America is REALLY hard to break if you don't do so-called "mainstream" music.

I have faith in Mika, though! I know that he will be HUGE here one day! :)

That is SO true. In alot of ways America SUCKS- cause 'we' generally speaking are relatively close minded! NOT MIKA fans of course! We are the exception to all of the 'american rules' Mika is gonna be HUGE here *and all over the world* it is just a matter of time.... but, on a very personal and selfish note.... I am NOT READY for Mika to Blow Up just YET. I still have not seen him live and by the time I get to he is most likely gonna be so HUGE that I will N-E-V-E-R get the chance to meet him! I know that I whine about this ALL OF THE TIME, but it is like my greatest FEAR! By the time he does another US Tour.... he is probably gonna be 'untouchable' like all of the other stars, and you are gonna have to win a frickin' contest just to get anywhere near him. I KNOW that MIKA cares about his fans, but lets face reality.... if/when he blows up on this side of the pond this is enevidable!!!! I don't want an autographs...I don't need a picture.... I JUST want the chance to tell him something- all I need is 5 SECONDS in his presence. :wink2:

It's not necessarily because America's messed up or whatever you guys are saying. Necessarily, or entirely, at least. Just liste, hold on... I think it's just harder for any artist to break into the US because the music industry there is a lot bigger and more commercial. I don't mean that an artist necessarily has to have a commercial image, but there is just a lot of commercial promotion and a lot of exposure that needs to be covered (TV shows, music videos, the scene is much wider-ranged) in order to break for the US. Now, the reason the artists like Rihanna, Beyonce, FOB, etc. are HUGE is because their labels give them aaaalllll of that necessary promotion. If Universal paid enough to force Mika into US popularity, they could easily do that. Anyone can.

But I don't think Mika's point is to be popular. It's really just about getting his music out. By doing a ton of touring in the US, he gets his music across in that way. I think he'd rather give his music out at shows than make an appearance on TV. It's slower for popularity, but much more effective for sharing huis music. this way, I think it's easier for people to appreciate his music over image, which is exactly how it should be.

Well, because he hasn't broken through the U.S yet.

Give him some time!

But he is well on his way!!

He's performed on Good Morning America twice, he's doing the promo for Ugly Betty (which a lot of ppl watch), Big Girl was played on Monique's Fat Chance, his album is in an iphone commercial, he performed on So You Think You Can Dance,Grace Kelly was played on The Hills (HATE that show:thumbdown: ), and Love Today is played on MTV in the morning.

So im VERY confident that it's just a matter of time.

Exactly soon to be mrs penniman.

Not a lot of people know who he is but enough know him to sold out every show he did in the US. He is not even nominated for the MTV VMA which I am very upset. Other people with silly songs are nominated. Not to offend anyone but lil' mama is nominated and for me she sounds aweful. Well, let's hope he has more popularity next time he comes to the US. However, I am to give him a hug before he get any more famous hehehehe

Because many people don't like proberly european music? :biggrin2:

..... I wouldn't call his music European.

I think you can definitely hear influences from different cultures and different genres in his songs. The thing is that it is put together in a way that makes it 'non-pigeonholable'....... I also think that it is the very reason why he has not received so much airplay in the States... Stations over there probably play much safer than in Europe unless there is a vast amount of money the record company puts in launching the artist.

..... I wouldn't call his music European.

I think you can definitely hear influences from different cultures and different genres in his songs. The thing is that it is put together in a way that makes it 'non-pigeonholable'....... I also think that it is the very reason why he has not received so much airplay in the States... Stations over there probably play much safer than in Europe unless there is a vast amount of money the record company puts in launching the artist.

Well, american music is (well, the music that reaches DK) mostly the same. The same songs, the same voices - over and over again.

I call music from europe, european. But I see your point my dear pumpkin!

ive noticed most people here in australia i talk to hate his songs, find them annoying, but they are the same people who think repetitive techno is awesome. i try to get them to listen to the vocal range, the instruments etc. I gave a girl at work his album and shes started singing his songs without realising(probably because she gave his music a chance. and because its so infectious). By the time he tours here people will love him (they are just slower than us who have taste)

Mlost have no clue who he is on the Western side of the mountains... or the dark abyss as it seems (everyone in Sydney doesn't even realise there is anything west of the Blue Mountain, but anyway)... We must prevail!

BTW, come visit the Australian thread...

Hehe... I like the way you put that Ioana!!!

It does seem to be the same music over and over... that's the reason why I don't listen to the radio anymore...

Oh, and can anyone tell me what the attraction is with Pete Wentz??? I don't understand it myself... I don't like FOB... Though I have started to llike Amy Winehouse and Patrick Wolf (and not because he called Mika a twat!!!)

its totally unfair:thumbdown: . he's like popular in almost all the other countries why not here

Well, I don't know much about the American people's taste of contemporary pop/rock music, but I think I heard it a few times that sometimes the American breakthrough comes very hard to foreign singers. Maybe it's because of the counrty's attitude, I mean mostly they are interested in their own stuff, for example they say that Americans are not too interested in foreign policy, they only care about local events, etc. (But I really don't want to hurt anyone with this generalisation!)

For example if I'm right Robbie Williams often said in his interviews that he was so very famous and popular in Europe, but in America noone would recognise him on the street. (I don't compare Mika to Robbie Williams, it was just an example.)

But I share your sad situation: I live in Hungary, and Mika isn't too famous here, either. Unfortunately :thumbdown: . Some radio channels plays Love Today and Grace Kelly, but that's all, most people has never heard about him.

...Though I'm working on it among my friends and family and people I know :naughty:

Oh, and can anyone tell me what the attraction is with Pete Wentz??? I don't understand it myself... I don't like FOB... Though I have started to llike Amy Winehouse and Patrick Wolf (and not because he called Mika a twat!!!)

SAME HERE!!!!!!!!!!! Pete Wentz!!! I can't stand him!:sorry:

But to be honest, artists outside did enter us market , according to the sales record, Amy winehouse, coldplay, corinne bailey rae, James blunt is doing well in us

but really not that much :thumbdown:

Well, american music is (well, the music that reaches DK) mostly the same. The same songs, the same voices - over and over again.

I call music from europe, european. But I see your point my dear pumpkin!

If they made me sit down and listen to the Top 20 in the States...

SAME HERE!!!!!!!!!!! Pete Wentz!!! I can't stand him!:sorry:

But to be honest, artists outside did enter us market , according to the sales record, Amy winehouse, coldplay, corinne bailey rae, James blunt is doing well in us

but really not that much :thumbdown:

Amy Winehouse: amazing black voice with easily marketable looks

Coldplay: Chris Martin is Gwyneth Paltrow's husband...

Corinne Bailey Rae: for the teenage market (sang horribly at Live Earth, by the way)

James Blunt: ...well... in all countries where they Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On was a smash hit, they love James Blunt, I am sure.. (he comes straight from the conveyor belt)

That is SO true. In alot of ways America SUCKS- cause 'we' generally speaking are relatively close minded! NOT MIKA fans of course! We are the exception to all of the 'american rules' Mika is gonna be HUGE here *and all over the world* it is just a matter of time.... but, on a very personal and selfish note.... I am NOT READY for Mika to Blow Up just YET. I still have not seen him live and by the time I get to he is most likely gonna be so HUGE that I will N-E-V-E-R get the chance to meet him! I know that I whine about this ALL OF THE TIME, but it is like my greatest FEAR! By the time he does another US Tour.... he is probably gonna be 'untouchable' like all of the other stars, and you are gonna have to win a frickin' contest just to get anywhere near him. I KNOW that MIKA cares about his fans, but lets face reality.... if/when he blows up on this side of the pond this is enevidable!!!! I don't want an autographs...I don't need a picture.... I JUST want the chance to tell him something- all I need is 5 SECONDS in his presence. :wink2:

I have the same fear then you !! :emot-sad: Of course I want him to be successfull but I regret to not have had the chance to met him before!