The Official "Panic at the Disco"-thread

Zahara

What do Diddy, Panic! at the Disco's Ryan Ross and Fred Durst have in common? They've all earned the less-than-distinguished honor of being selected for Blender's "The 40 Worst Lyricists in Rock" list. Will.I.Am, Billy Corgan, Anthony Kiedis, Common, Dashboard Confessional, Timbaland and, of course, Kevin Federline, also make the (F) grade, with Sting landing in the #1 spot. The list appears in the magazine's November issue, which streets October 16

That's not good. :tears: Ryan's lyrics are GREAT!!

About the new album..

Unreleased songs sounded like another band

Panic! At The Disco have scrapped their second album after recording a batch of songs they say are too weird.

The band told NME that the follow-up to 2006's 'A Fever You Can't Sweat Out' sounded too much like another band.

Guitarist Ryan Ross said: "We're taking a lot longer than we thought we would. It's almost as if we were writing two records. We did almost an entire album and then started over, so at the moment we're trying to catch up, but we're all really happy with the songs right now and we'll be done by February."

Initially thinking they were making great progress, Panic! At The Disco wrote their first batch of songs at sessions in a hidden away cabin deep in the Nevada desert last summer.

Ross admits: "We lost our minds a little bit up there, it's safe to say... We were totally cut off. It was kind of like therapy! It was a really good learning experience for us because some of those songs are really intricate - they were challenging to write, but I don't know if it would have been the best thing for the band to release that record."

Ross jokes: "We'll probably end-up starting another band to play those songs. It was that different to what we'd done before. It was out there."

The band finally decided to scrap the songs last summer.

Bassist Jon Walker said: "It was Summer Fest in Milwaukee at the beginning of July... we all sat down and talked about it.

"There was definitely a vibe when we came off tour playing the same songs (from the first album) for like two years, that, when we started writing, we started doing way different stuff. Then halfway through we realised it didn't feel like us."

Panic! At The Disco are now back at home in Las Vegas and working from scratch again.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

20 • Ryan Ross

A Sin City kid whose pomo pretension is as thick as his eyeliner.

Curse the day that Ryan Ross discovered thesaurus.com. The guitarist and chief lyricist for Vegas emo dandies Panic! At the Disco, Ross writes like the quill and inkwell never went out of fashion, cramming his tarantellas full of baroque wordplay and breathless verbal curlicues. This might be easier to bear if they didn’t also ooze middlebrow smarty-pants-ness, with "clever" references to Wes Anderson flicks and the collected works of Chuck Palahniuk. And need we even mention that exclamation point?

Worst lyric: "And I believe this may call for a proper introduction/And well, don’t you see, I’m the narrator, and this is just the prologue?" ("The Only Difference Between Martyrdom and Suicide Is Press Coverage")

ohmygod. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

..The first single off the yet-untitled new Panic! album will be released in January 2008. There's a possibility the song is going to be "Nine in the Afternoon", however, this is just speculation and not officially confirmed...

:mf_rosetinted:

Lying Is The Most Fun A Girl Can Have Without Taking Her Clothes Off :punk:

Best. Song. Ever. :biggrin2:

Are you excited 'bout ze new album?? :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

Ze is french I guess? :naughty:

Who wouldn't be? I don't know too much about them. I kinda discovered them.. late. Whatever, I think their second album will be :thumb_yello: ^^

Ze is french I guess? :naughty:

Who wouldn't be? I don't know too much about them. I kinda discovered them.. late. Whatever, I think their second album will be :thumb_yello: ^^

Ahh.. I see..

The new album is going to AMAZING!! ..Only a few more months :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

• 2 weeks later...
Members of Las Vegas four-piece Panic! At The Disco are taking a stripped-down approach to their as-yet-untitled sophomore album, due March 25 via Decaydance/Fueled by Ramen, relying less on computer software and more on their abilities as musicians, says Panic! guitarist/lyricist Ryan Ross.

"We just wanted the record to sound like four people playing a song," Ross tells Billboard.com. "A lot of the songs are definitely more geared toward playing live; we didn't think about that on the last record."

Musically, the emo rock band is "working backwards," Ross explains, drawing musical influence from such classic rocks acts as the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan and the Beach Boys. "When I started playing music, all I was hearing was whatever was on the radio," the guitarist explains. "I'm 21 now, so a lot of my musical tastes have changed."

Along with some horn and string orchestral arrangements, "I played harmonica on a song and did some slide guitar, which we've never done before," Ross notes.

To help achieve the new sound, Panic! tapped producer Rob Mathes, who worked with the band on cover song "This Is Halloween" for the soundtrack of last winter's re-release of Tim Burton's "The Nightmare Before Christmas." "We didn't want to go with one of the big rock producers, who say, 'It's my way or the highway,'" Ross says. "[Rob] has a really positive attitude and keeps us motivated when we're sometimes not feeling it."

Discovered online by Fall Out Boy's Pete Wentz, Panic! made a splash with 2005's "A Fever You Can't Sweat Out," which has sold 1.7 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Not long after the album's release, the act became a headliner on the road, grossing nearly $6 million from 50 concerts in 2006, according to Billboard Boxscore.

Indeed, Panic! has learned a few lessons during that time, many of which are reflected on new songs like "Things Have Changed" and "Nine in the Afternoon." Lyrically, Ross is moving away from sarcastic one-liners and focusing on "our situation now and how things are a lot different than they were on the last record," he explains.

"Nine in the Afternoon," which the band road-tested on summer gigs, is about "all of the things you get caught up in while you're in a band ... then coming back and realizing that it's just fun making music with your four best friends," Ross says.

In support of its forthcoming album, Panic! will play U.S. theaters this March, according to Ross. Known for its elaborate stage setup and costumes, the band "just started throwing around ideas for a tour," Ross says. Although there are no concrete plans for how performance will play out, the guitarist can assure fans of one thing: "We're not going to do a circus show again."

Source: Billboard.com

ZOMG!!1 at the date and the last phrase!!!1 No circus shows!? OMG!!! :shocked:

VideoStatic.com is reporting Panic! At the Disco have booked Shane Drake to direct the music video for "Nine In The Afternoon", the first single off the new record. Shane has previously worked with Panic! directing the videos for "I Write Sins Not Tragedies" and "But It's Better If You Do".

BOOKED: Panic! At The Disco - Shane Drake, director

artist: Panic! At The Disco

song: "Nine In The Afternoon"

label: Decaydance/Fueled By Ramen

director(s): Shane Drake

production co: Red Van Pictures

rep: Labuda Management

And make sure to keep an eye on panicatthedisco.com!! Its currently being revamped :mf_rosetinted:

No one will divulge any information about what's in store, except that it's supposed to be a "surprise". Last night a MySpace Bulletin was sent with the link and message: "and so it begins...". Since then all you get when you visit the page is a row of 23 boxes, some containing letters, others left blank. ("_O_ _ D_N_ _ H_V_ _T_ _ _ _ R _ Y_") [You Dont Have to Worry???]

But when you check the coding source of the page, new lines has been added throughout the day. The message is as it follows...

Oh, hello

Glad you could make it

Did you have any trouble finding the place?

Hope you enjoy

I will keep you posted!

And make sure to keep an eye on panicatthedisco.com!! Its currently being revamped :mf_rosetinted:

No one will divulge any information about what's in store, except that it's supposed to be a "surprise". Last night a MySpace Bulletin was sent with the link and message: "and so it begins...". Since then all you get when you visit the page is a row of 23 boxes, some containing letters, others left blank. ("_O_ _ D_N_ _ H_V_ _T_ _ _ _ R _ Y_") [You Dont Have to Worry???]

But when you check the coding source of the page, new lines has been added throughout the day. The message is as it follows...

Oh, hello

Glad you could make it

Did you have any trouble finding the place?

Hope you enjoy

I will keep you posted!

yeah it's all very weird isnt it? :boxed: with their myspace page too it's all white, even their pic! it's cool though! :biggrin2:

About the site.. It turned blank... Again! The title of the page currently is "You Don't Have To Worry..." and the coding source says: Oh, back so soon?.

<html>

<head>

<title>YOU DONT HAVE TO WORRY...</title>

</head>

<body>

<!--

Oh, back so soon?

-->

</body>

</html>

Im totally freakin out! :roftl:

- Ryan's new tattoos :wub2: If you have good eyes, you may already have noticed them in July's issue of Kerrang! magazine.

001.jpg

(http://patdonline.com/)

Thats it for now.. I will keep you posted! :punk:

Yet another update at Panicatthedisco.com. The missing puzzle piece has been replaced with 01:01:08 and when you hover your cursor over the shaded puzzle piece, a clip of a song plays.

The coding source has also been changed, a new line has been added: Care for an hors d'oeuvre?

Which means, "care for an appetizer?" :mf_rosetinted: