MIKA vs MIKA : In the Sun Newspaper

CazGirl

I don't like your attitude towards this Belgian woman. She may not be famous, that's true, but it must be damn irritating for her that here comes this vivacious young guy crashing the doors of the music scene where she's been struggling for almost two decades to be noticed and shares her name.

Which she registered. She even has rights to protect her.

You must understand that the name Mika associates with Mica. So if she ever released a hit single maybe (I'm only talking about possibilites her without mentioning probabilities!!!) she would face some "identity problems".

You seem to be making fun of her for not being famous. It's just f*g heartless of you. Millions of TALENTED musicians don't ever get famous. (Nota bene, I'm not implying that she's a musical genius, for I haven't listened to her works yet, and don't intend to...). Still, she has the right to be equally treated as Mika or MIKA or whatever he comes up with next.

Yes, you (we) are biased, for yeah we're all discussing this matter on the MFC boards, not her forums. But guess what, amussing she had some fan base out there in Belgium, her fans would be equally freaking out, or with an even bigger amplitude, for SHE HAS A RIGHT FOR THE FRIGGIN NAME.

She may want money, okay. We all want money. I'm pretty sure that's one of her major intentions. But just try to "be in her shoes" for a while...

Possible solution? Heaps of dollars. But I fear that this isn't real reconciliation. (Moral aspects.) Personally, I'd be pissed if someone that famous (operating in the same field) had the same name.

Fine.

Point a. Language. "Frigging" is a really not nice word and is one of the few (along with c**t and t**t) that really grosses me out.

Point b. Of course we're biased. But this is just a completely pointless case where the only possible benefit for her IS money. We all want money, but we don't go round suing everyone we think we stand a chance against. I hate this culture of suing anyone we can. I mean I work with St John Ambulance, and we're not allowed to do a lot of things that could save someone's life, cos idiots like this woman sue just to make a quick buck. And I wouldn't want to put myself in this woman's shoes. She was hideously unsuccessful, but she's still clinging on to that tiny shred of non-existant fame in an attempt to get some of Mika's money. Well I'm sorry, but she gets absolutely NO sympathy from me.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would she be an idiot? Do you know her personally? Hideosly unsuccessful, you say.

Hey, you're all overloded with these Mika protective emotions.

Okay, there IS a popular tendency of suing people all around, which I loathe, just like you, so I get your point there BUT you shouldn't be running over this woman with a dozen of tanks.

The only thing which disturbs me as I've stated already that you're almost making fun of her, mocking her for not being a recognized artist. This is disgusting!

"clinging on to that tiny shred of non-existant fame " Do you realise how humiliating you sound?

But don't misunderstand me, though. I'm not trying to get at any of you. I only beg you to look at the world from another perspective... I do not wish to preach or anything. It's just so rotten to accuse anyone like that only because you idolize another...

I don't like your attitude towards this Belgian woman. She may not be famous, that's true, but it must be damn irritating for her that here comes this vivacious young guy crashing the doors of the music scene where she's been struggling for almost two decades to be noticed and shares her name.

If Belgian Mika had figured out in, say, January or February that there was another Mika on the scene, she may have stood a chance. The problem is, almost a year has passed and now millions of people associate the name "Mika" with our Mika. If she were to succeed in getting him to somehow ammend his name, it wouldn't change the fact that for millions of people worldwide, the name Mika brings to mind the curly haired chap from Britain who sings falsetto and wears tight pants. The fact of the matter is, he's the one who acheived global recognition under that name. From a marketing point of view, she stands to gain nothing from making Mika change his name. It won't help her career. Yes, it must make her angry that her stage name is now linked in the minds of millions to another, much more successful performer. But no lawsuit is going to break that connection in the minds of millions of music lovers.

In fact, let's say Mika releases his second album under Mica Penniman. I bet he could then countersue Belgian Mika by alleging that the name change between his first and second albums confused HIS fans. And the dollar value of that confusion would likely be higher than any alleged confusion on the part of her fans, based on past sales figures.

I agree that Belgian Mika must be indeed quite frustrated that she's been trying to launch a career for 20 years, and then all of a sudden someone else enjoys explosive success under "her" name. But that's kind of just they way the cookies crumbled in this case; she will have a very,very hard time getting the masses to associate the name Mika with herself now, regardless of any lawsuit. And honestly, I think that deep down this woman is smart enough to realize that. Buther quote in the media along the lines of "I don't care that it's his name, I think he should change it" makes her sound completely ignorant.

Being a performer is all about public perception. And again, for millions of people, the name Mika is now ingrained in their brains as referring to our Mika. Maybe getting a payout from Universal will help soothe the pain she's feeling as a result of that fact.

Her case in a nutshell is centered around the fact that he "stole" her name and built an empire out of it, and that's crippling her career. But to be frank, if she's been trying this for 20 years and only has a tiny following and no real recognition, her career is already quite crippled.

Why would she be an idiot? Do you know her personally? Hideosly unsuccessful, you say.

Hey, you're all overloded with these Mika protective emotions.

Okay, there IS a popular tendency of suing people all around, which I loathe, just like you, so I get your point there BUT you shouldn't be running over this woman with a dozen of tanks.

The only thing which disturbs me as I've stated already that you're almost making fun of her, mocking her for not being a recognized artist. This is disgusting!

"clinging on to that tiny shred of non-existant fame " Do you realise how humiliating you sound?

But don't misunderstand me, though. I'm not trying to get at any of you. I only beg you to look at the world from another perspective... I do not wish to preach or anything. It's just so rotten to accuse anyone like that only because you idolize another...

I'm not mocking her for being unsuccessful. I'm mocking her for being bitter and pathetic about it. It's like, ok, you tried, respect for that, but either do what Mika did and keep fighting until you are successful, or get over it and move on with your life.

I haven't tried to be a successful musician, mostly cos I know I can't carry a tune, but there are a lot of things I have tried and failed at. For example I haven't tried to sue everyone who graduates from Oxford, and, in a case where I actually would have succeeded, I haven't tried to sue my old boss for firing me cos I had PTSD. It would have been pointless and I hadn't suffered enough of a loss to warrant legal action, just like I very much doubt this woman has.

Not offended, just extremely dislike people who use the legal system to make a quick penny or express bitterness.

I just thought it was stupid how she planned on trying to change his name, and I think most agree. I mean, if she just came along and said, 'I did originally name myself Mika and I also copyrighted the name, and I think we should come to some kind of arangement.' And not added all the media crap, no one would have said anything, except maybe, I wonder what'll happen and come up with something as a joke or whatever, but this isn't the case, is it?

She does seem to be behaving a bit akwardly, I can't deny that.

She won't be taking Mika's pennies though, only Universal's (they won't get broke, won't they?).

This little affair could might even prove to be useful for Mika's reputation. Firstly, his name is being repeted with every single article. Secondly, people might sympathize with him for having to face such a weird and annoying situation.

Of course there is a huge fuss about it, it's true. Plus she does seem to be behaving akwardly, I can't deny that.

She won't be taking Mika's pennies though, only Universal's (they won't get broke, don't worry).

This little affair could even be a bit useful for Mika's reputation. Firstly, his name is being repeted with every single article. Secondly, people might sympathize with him for having to face such a ridiculous and annoying situation.

amen:mf_rosetinted:

Guest Scenester

^ If I don't get into Oxford 6 years from now I might. :roftl:

This whole thing's ridiculous, though. I'm not going to say I think it's alright to mock her, but the woman's acting like a 5 year old whose friend bought the same backpack, and I don't see what's wrong with pointing that out.

Like Becky said, there are plenty of other ways in which she could've solved this problem - creating a minor scandal like this wasn't at all necessary. She ought to start behaving like a grown-up.

but the woman's acting like a 5 year old whose friend bought the same backpack

That is actually true.

Its like one kid, bob, got a bag 5 years ago, and this other kid, jim, got the same bag a few days ago, so jim starts wearing his bag, and then bob is like

'oi! stop using that bag! i got it first!'

but nobody knew bob had that bag, so whenever they thought about that bag, they were gonna think of jim and not bob.

and now bob wants jim to take the bag back because BOB GOT IT FIRST

lol xD

Lovely allegory. Lovely names. I don't like it though.

with my completly cool names bob and jim :mf_rosetinted:

but it is kind of what happened/is happening.

Somebody has something but they dont use it/ people dont know they use it

and then someone comes along with something and everyone knows about it

but the first person gets annoyed and wants the other person to get rid of it.

end of story.... for now anyway xD

That is actually true.

Its like one kid, bob, got a bag 5 years ago, and this other kid, jim, got the same bag a few days ago, so jim starts wearing his bag, and then bob is like

'oi! stop using that bag! i got it first!'

but nobody knew bob had that bag, so whenever they thought about that bag, they were gonna think of jim and not bob.

and now bob wants jim to take the bag back because BOB GOT IT FIRST

lol xD

Lovely allegory. Lovely names. I don't like it though.

You have to admit, shes right though. Even though I doubt Jim's parents would pay for damages:mf_rosetinted:

well this has been a VERY interesting read!

and in fact, Pampini, I agree with your first post.

- I don't like how Sophie is dealing with this business but if she DID copyright the name first then yes, of course she has a right to it. I don't like it any better than you do, or in fact anyone.

- The reason why people seem to ridicule her is because - although she appears to have tried God bless her - she is NOT a successful musician. She is in fact a nobody that, well, no-one has ever heard of. Mica comes prancing along singing about what colour he could be like and he becomes instantly famous. Then, this Belgium reggae woman completely out the blue who no-one even knows goes "he stole my name!"

This is why she being ridiculed by not just us, but the press too. They're mocking her simply because A) she is whiny about a NAME and B) if she let everything carry on as things were, it wouldn't have made a difference. She was unknown in the first place and has been for twenty years. And I hate to sound rude here, but it will probably stay that way.

- Like you all say, it's a get-rich-quick scheme. And I completely agree. And with all the press, it's just a way to get herself famous. It's not about the name I think, it's just so she can actually be seen and heard. It's a selfish way I believe but IMO it also seems an act of desperation.

- Everyone may think of Mika as Mica instead of Sophie, but that won't change much. No matter how much money Universal have, no matter how big Mica is. The fact is SOPHIE COPYRIGHTED THE NAME. It's completely stupid, someone is bound to have the same name as you just like somewhere out there someone's written a song with the same title as someone else. It IS childish, but SHE HAS THE LAW ON HER SIDE.

No matter how much we ridicule her, no matter how much we complain about her, we can't do anything to help Mica, as much as we would like to.

The only thing we can do is sit and wait until further news arrives to us. Boring and as frustrating as it may be, we can do nothing else. We've e-mailed her to try and talk her out of it but she's made up her mind. Get your popcorn and watch the action. Throw it when necessary.

:mf_rosetinted:

Lol, Love the popcorn bit, but that really just shows how childish I am.

I personally reckon Universal or whatever thier name is will just pay her off.

hahaha, i HAD to say something childish at the end of all that xDDD

but I also reckon that is also a possibility. They'll just pay her off and she'll probably shrink back into the darkness. Poor thing, she does try.

well this has been a VERY interesting read!

and in fact, Pampini, I agree with your first post.

- I don't like how Sophie is dealing with this business but if she DID copyright the name first then yes, of course she has a right to it. I don't like it any better than you do, or in fact anyone.

- The reason why people seem to ridicule her is because - although she appears to have tried God bless her - she is NOT a successful musician. She is in fact a nobody that, well, no-one has ever heard of. Mica comes prancing along singing about what colour he could be like and he becomes instantly famous. Then, this Belgium reggae woman completely out the blue who no-one even knows goes "he stole my name!"

This is why she being ridiculed by not just us, but the press too. They're mocking her simply because A) she is whiny about a NAME and B) if she let everything carry on as things were, it wouldn't have made a difference. She was unknown in the first place and has been for twenty years. And I hate to sound rude here, but it will probably stay that way.

- Like you all say, it's a get-rich-quick scheme. And I completely agree. And with all the press, it's just a way to get herself famous. It's not about the name I think, it's just so she can actually be seen and heard. It's a selfish way I believe but IMO it also seems an act of desperation.

- Everyone may think of Mika as Mica instead of Sophie, but that won't change much. No matter how much money Universal have, no matter how big Mica is. The fact is SOPHIE COPYRIGHTED THE NAME. It's completely stupid, someone is bound to have the same name as you just like somewhere out there someone's written a song with the same title as someone else. It IS childish, but SHE HAS THE LAW ON HER SIDE.

No matter how much we ridicule her, no matter how much we complain about her, we can't do anything to help Mica, as much as we would like to.

The only thing we can do is sit and wait until further news arrives to us. Boring and as frustrating as it may be, we can do nothing else. We've e-mailed her to try and talk her out of it but she's made up her mind. Get your popcorn and watch the action. Throw it when necessary.

:mf_rosetinted:

I honestly dont think she would be able to get him to properly change his name or get universal to give her some money.

Becuase, like you say, she ISNT known, so it doesnt make any difference.

They might have to be reffered to as Mika of London or Mika of Belgium or whatever.

but there was a time when 2 songs had the same name, but where sung by seperate artists.

i think it was Baby Boy, by Big Bruv and Beyonce or destinys child or whatever xD

and they didnt go and sue each other

:blink:

Yeah, but Caz is right. The law is the law. He can't just ignore it. Though, she'd could have done it with a little more dignity.

The law is the law, im not saying its not, but i dont think its going to work.

Becuase she blatantly wants a few quid, if she was so dedicated to having him change his name, why would she settle for a pay off????