Snap judgment: Mika's 'Happy Ending' video

dcdeb

Thanks for posting!!

All in all I really liked this video- I think that it has a very magical feel, it's very atmospheric, it draws you in, and you hardly realise what the song is really about by watching the images.HAHA or maybe that is only me, unable to concentrate on audio and video properly at the same time, lol!!

Anyway what I am trying to say is that the video surprised me, because I was expecting a totally different vibe on it, but I really liked the way it makes you detach from reality.

I just watched Mika flying around as if it was the most normal thing to be watching, hehe, it didn't feel 'strange' in that sense....And the little creatures are so cute, and the little mouths, etc.......

:punk:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'I love my Mika sweet and sugary'

you bet! :thumb_yello::wub2:

I know :blush-anim-cl:

thanks deb...btw...my google alert works ONLY for italian sites! :sneaky2:

...and full of Mika hakkinen and Mika whatever (rally races i guess) :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Well, I get a lot of other Mikas too, but I do get items from all over, not

just US... don't know what else you could do...:boxed:

dcdeb

Wasn't sure whether to start a separate thread for this, or post in one of the other HE threads... finally, decided, WHY NOT?

This is from the Entertainment Weekly blog (EW is a pretty big magazine here in the States):

Snap judgment: Mika's 'Happy Ending' video

Sep 20, 2007, 10:00 AM | by Kate Ward

I love Mika. I love him like I love a bowl of Half Baked after a long day. If his songs came in a pint of Ben & Jerry's, I would eat them. Seriously.

But just as I love my Half Baked, I love my Mika sweet and sugary. So when I found out he released a video for "Happy Ending" — a track off Life in Cartoon Motion that I neglected to purchase because it wasn't "happy" enough for me, ironically — my expectations for a lively and colorful video were minimal.

But boy, was I wrong. In what is probably his most psychedelic video yet, Mika delivers a mesmerizing dream sequence that carries the singer through his roof and above the Earth while he solemnly sings about "no hope, no love, no glory." And though what seems to be a sober song about being dumped translates into an inspired and imaginative video, I can't seem to get over what happens about 1:53 through, when the hands appear. Doing its best Labyrinth impression, the last half of "Happy Ending" shows Mika surrounded by dozens of disembodied hands — a sequence that I find much more creepy than dreamy. Pair that scene with the first one, where the singer floats against a backdrop of animated room decor (where wallpaper plays its biggest role since Garden State), and you've got a music video that officially elevates Mika's usual sugar high to an acid trip.

What do you think, PopWatchers? Did you find the video to be a great work of artistry, or just downright disturbing? And were you expecting orange puppets to show up and start rolling heads as much as I was?

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2007/09/snap-judgment-m.html

Just wanted to say that the Carrie who made a comment about the video is NOT me. :glasses2: I checked out the link above and noticed it after looking at the article. I love the video.

I can't seem to get over what happens about 1:53 through, when the hands appear. Doing its best Labyrinth impression, the last half of "Happy Ending" shows Mika surrounded by dozens of disembodied hands — a sequence that I find much more creepy than dreamy.

I second this. I don't like the hands at all. They add nothing but a trippy, almost creepy element to the video. :blink:

I had one thought going through my head when I first saw the video: why aren't those hands all over Mika? :roftl:

...a music video that officially elevates Mika's usual sugar high to an acid trip.

This is so true. The only thing is I don't mind it at all, in fact I enjoy it. :naughty:

Just been watching it again, can't get enough (it's gonna cost me a fortune, but it's worth it), but I noticed that he hits the clock with the back of his hand to turn it off, can he show me how to do that, 'cause it doesn't work when I do it.LOL!

I think the stars are amazing...but I think the whole thing is good...and one of the reasons I think this is beacuse my hubby thinks it is 'clever' which means he doesn't complain when I watch it continually!

I love the jacket lining too!

i saw it the other day on TV didn't realise there was a post here about it so missed out first time...

i was only just awake- barely had my eyes open... so when i saw it i was like' am i still dreaming?? if my teddies ever started singing to me i would go crazy coz that's what they DON'T do!! lol and then there was the purple balloon.

i want one.

at least i'd get out of bed in a morning!!! lol

it was different to say the least! erm. what more can i say about the video...

how does someone wake up and think, 'oh, 'Happy Ending' i know, mika can be dragged out of bed by a balloon into the outness of space and let hands sing'

i want a bit of what that person had... see the world in another light instead of the dullness that i've become to see!!! lol

much love- thanks dcdeb for sharing

hunny

xoxoxoxox

how does someone wake up and think, 'oh, 'Happy Ending' i know, mika can be dragged out of bed by a balloon into the outness of space and let hands sing'. i want a bit of what that person had... see the world in another light

So do I. It would be "interesting" to say the least. :naughty:

Yes Yes and Yes - love the new video

Love the way Mika just floats up and up and away leaving all the monsters and troubles behind with his laces dangling. Just cannot "ground" myself after watching this - its like floating back in amniotic fluid...spacy. If you have any troubles - just grab a balloon and float away from it all. Also love

the final floating away bit - is this heaven or wot.

Yes - love the jacket - Mika is very smart in this one and completely alone. There's none of the usual coming together party/celebration crowd with confetti and streamers - just Mika and his balloon. And he sure looks angelic floating amongst the cloud like clusters of white ballons. Its starting to remind me of an old French film "le Ballon Rouge" where a small boy in Paris catches a red balloon and floats away up into the sky. Not too sure about the hands either but there's a nice little smile in that bit. :punk:

J'adore les ballons - J'adore Mika :mf_lustslow::wub2::mf_lustslow: