Simple misunderstandings between countries

babyblue

hmm.. it took me longer than you would think to figure this out

braces in england=suspenders in america

i know

i am an idiot

I didn't realize he was saying braces that way until I went to a show and saw him flicking his suspenders. Then I realized...ahhh....braces. I never paid attention to the lyrics before that. :blink:

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't realize he was saying braces that way until I went to a show and saw him flicking his suspenders. Then I realized...ahhh....braces. I never paid attention to the lyrics before that. :blink:

yeah

i thought he meant 'teeth' braces, or something

and then i saw a pic and it was titled 'Mika Snapping His Braces', or something, and the lightbulb went off

:biggrin2:

i get confused between braces and braces, the ones that make your teath straight and the ones that mika wears! AHHH it drives me insane

I know EXACTLY what you mean

what also confuses me is 'chips' and 'crisps'

USA chips=potato chips

UK chips= fries (right?)

When you go to McDonald's..

Do you say: Ill have a big mac combo?

Are you able to switch your fries to poutines?

McDonalds in Alberta doesn't carry poutine. Neither does Wendy's.

KFC and New York Fries do a pretty good poutine, but A&W's is just awful.

My college bar did it awesome. The fries were deep fried, as per usual. When they added the curds and gravy, though, they'd bake it for a while. Mmm! :bleh:

McDonalds in Alberta doesn't carry poutine. Neither does Wendy's.

KFC and New York Fries do a pretty good poutine, but A&W's is just awful.

My college bar did it awesome. The fries were deep fried, as per usual. When they added the curds and gravy, though, they'd bake it for a while. Mmm! :bleh:

they'd bake it ? strange... I like my poutine when the curds are like hot and melty on the outside and still a little cold on the inside... the fries have to be pretty thick and not crispy and prefferably kinda dark, almost sweet... and the gravy has to be somewhat thick...

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The best poutine ever is at La Banquise in Montréal *dies*

Poutine? I have never heard of that in my life.

I've had something that sounds similar, but it wasn't it. It was a cheeseburger with gravy and fries all over it. *sigh* Heartattack in the making. :roftl:

yeah poutine is something you'll find almost exclusively in the province of Québec

Everything here is true:

• You say the correct pronunciation LANG-kist-er instead of the mispronounced Lan-CAST-er, and LEB-en-in instead of the equally incorrect Leb-a-NON.

• YOUR turkey has "filling," not "stuffing," and most certainly, NOT "dressing."

• You say things like, "Outen the lights," "I'm calling off today," and "They're calling for snow."

• You call sloppy joes "barbecue."

• Know that Wilkes-Barre is pronounced "Wilks Berry." Can pronounce "Knoebels." Can pronounce (or spell) "Schuylkill."

• Frequently go "with," e.g., "You going to the market? Mind if I come with?"

• When you were a kid and somebody really pissed you off, you said, "I'm gonna deck you!"

• You ask the waitress for "dippy ecks" for breakfast. Red Beet Ecks makes your list of top ten favorite foods.

• You do things "wunst," as in "I'll go check in the back room wunst."

• The plural of "you" is "youns."

• Words like: gumband; buggy; hoagie; chipped ham; and pop actually mean something to you.

Everything here is true:

• You say the correct pronunciation LANG-kist-er instead of the mispronounced Lan-CAST-er, and LEB-en-in instead of the equally incorrect Leb-a-NON.

• YOUR turkey has "filling," not "stuffing," and most certainly, NOT "dressing."

• You say things like, "Outen the lights," "I'm calling off today," and "They're calling for snow."

• You call sloppy joes "barbecue."

• Know that Wilkes-Barre is pronounced "Wilks Berry." Can pronounce "Knoebels." Can pronounce (or spell) "Schuylkill."

• Frequently go "with," e.g., "You going to the market? Mind if I come with?"

• When you were a kid and somebody really pissed you off, you said, "I'm gonna deck you!"

• You ask the waitress for "dippy ecks" for breakfast. Red Beet Ecks makes your list of top ten favorite foods.

• You do things "wunst," as in "I'll go check in the back room wunst."

• The plural of "you" is "youns."

• Words like: gumband; buggy; hoagie; chipped ham; and pop actually mean something to you.

where is that from?

Here on the west Coast of BC..we have many sayings ..:):):)

Your looking mighty skookum today ! (you are looking smart, well dressed)

Becareful, the chuck's stormy today. (the ocean's stormy today)

both are Salish words...skookum chuck...the mighty sea

Nanaimo bars! the best treat ever! ( my fave desert on the planet!- best Nanaimo bars are made at Thrifty's) Thrifty's : unique Van Island Grocery Store. yummmmmmmy droooooolsssss

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanaimo_bar

Dallasite...an actually rock only found on Dallas beach near where i live.

http://www.mindat.org/min-27169.html

Luminara Day ( a holiday ever summer to be with the fairies and elves)

"We are going to Canada for the weekend" yes our Island is special and its a big event just to get off the island! we are in our own "country!"

What do people in the UK call dental braces?

We call it a brace, singular, as opposed to braces (suspenders).

And what is this poutine thing? anyone got a picture of it? I just can't visualise it at all. I guess the North Americans are still in bed now...:naughty:

I like this thread.

And can any Aussie give me a precise deifinition of a bogan? Is it a bit like chav, or more like gimp?

Well here are a few of mine. I'm from South Yorkshire, in England, but I live 40miles to the West of there, in Lancashire, and there are many differences even then!:

pop = a fizzy drink

sarnie = sandwich (Lancashire: butty)

trousers = self explanatory but in Lancs they are pants

pants = underwear

to have the monk on = to be in a sulk/bad mood (in Lancs to be in a mard)

cuppa = a cup of tea (Lancs, a brew)

snap = food

*dinner = midday meal

*tea = evening meal

*supper = a bite to eat just before you go to bed eg a biscuit/slice of toast

*this really upsets Southerners in England hee hee

we pronounce SCONE the same as BONE, but in Lancs they pronounce it like GONE, and they say I 'sound posh' when I say it in my accent (I'm anything but posh!) Scone is a strange one!

Woo!!! Yorkshire is the best.

To have a monk on is the best one :wink2: or, be mardy. My mum always says mardy.

I say scone as in bone aswell............... :blink:

Woo!!! Yorkshire is the best.

To have a monk on is the best one :wink2: or, be mardy. My mum always says mardy.

I say scone as in bone aswell............... :blink:

lol, I wish I knew where that saying comes from..it's bizarre! It seems to be more of a South Yorkshire/Nottinghamshire saying, from the coal mining areas. If that has anything to do with it (coal? monks? :boxed: )

As for scone...are you posh??:roftl: