Simple misunderstandings between countries

babyblue

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I have a question.

What would you call the bread product in this picture (not the filling, just imagine the bread, the round shaped bread thing. It's just ordinary plain bread):

barm%20butty.jpg

In Britain there are around 100 million (:naughty: nearly!) different names for it depending on where you live. It causes much confusion!

I would call it a teacake, being from Yorkshire. Some call it a bread roll, or a barm cake, or a bap, or a stottie cake. I have had arguments with friends over this!!

What about other countries?

In Oz we would call it a bread roll,unless it was a really dense bread, then it may be a panini (like Rosinakiwi said)

I say sconn too - but have a place with the same name - and its

pronounced scoon!!! :blink:

You would get laugfhed at for being posh if you said schown, but we have a town here (somewhere!) and you pronounce it the posh way (even though it's a small town in the middle of nowhere!)

I pronounce everything wrong.

I pronounce the "l" in salmon.

I pronounce the "h" in herbs.

I pronounce "southerner" as "south-er-ner" not "suth-er-ner" haha

And I pronounce "Graham" as "Grey-ham" haha

And I'm not changing my pronunciations now, that'll only confuse me.

Wow...

I wouldn't mind seeing that! (though I'd find it disturbing if my dad did that - good thing is he can't cook pancakes!)

That wouldn't be the Toyota ad with the dog, would it?

(Love that ad...)

Though, I was a little concerned when they took an ad down in NZ that had a model in her undies and holding a toy rhino, and a caption that read "Feeling horny?"...

yes it would be the toyota ad, (also love it especially the hunterway at the end)

Im unsure of the other add you are refuring to?

I ponounce things funny, but its just because of our accent, WE say

Scon rhymes with gone

work like werk

we all pronounce the h in herb

Omg, thank you.

Got into a silly argument over this word one night with some aussies.

*glares at Baby and Kelzy*

They kept telling me that it was "sconn" instead of "scohwn" and that only americans pronounced it the other way. (Because everyone knows we're silly gits who don't know how to talk.) And you live in the UK! That's wonderful.:thumb_yello:

*does an in-your-face dance at the aussies*:naughty:

yo yo yo yankee girl!! :wink2:

I wasn't part of that argument,, but had I of been there I would've been saying that!! :naughty:

*flicks boogers at Artsy*:bleh:

Yeah, why are we arguing? Just get a couple with jam and clotted cream and settle down with a nice cup of tea.......:naughty:

Yes, get a plate of warm scones and take a deep breath. After all, we're online. No matter how we pronounce it, it's spelled the same, and none of us can actually hear each other.:naughty: