Mika @ Heineken Music Hall, Netherlands: 11-11-2007 -- REVIEWS!

dcdeb

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I'd soooo do it! I love the Big Girl outfit!

I wanted to make big girl outfits for me and my friend but I'm certain she wouldn't wear it AND it was freezing so we wouldn't be able to wear them without death ensuing anyway.. But maybe some day... at a summer gig.. :naughty:

yeah, let's go to a mikagig next summer and wear big girl outfits!

yeah, let's go to a mikagig next summer and wear big girl outfits!

We totally should! I'm not even joking. If there's a bunch of us going we could dress up as Big Girls and Lollipop Girls!

I don't mind making outfits for my fellow MFCers and I'm sure you wouldn't either (right? :biggrin2: ).

*gets mental image of a crowd filled with Mika characters* :wub2:

We totally should! I'm not even joking. If there's a bunch of us going we could dress up as Big Girls and Lollipop Girls!

I don't mind making outfits for my fellow MFCers and I'm sure you wouldn't either (right? :biggrin2: ).

*gets mental image of a crowd filled with Mika characters* :wub2:

i would not at all mind, it's a great idea! we really should do this. we could have a nice get-together a while before the gig to make the costumes :thumb_yello: now he just needs to anounce a gig in summer here, lol

I wouldn't do it either :mf_rosetinted:

As a Big Girl - NO

Chew Chew - YES

Lollipop Girl - YES

Billy Browns dog - YES

Headless Chicken - YES

I just don't want to wear a outfit like that Big Girl costume thingy :blush-anim-cl:

Yeah. I asked if there were any more animals needed. The answer was no. :sneaky2:

i would not at all mind, it's a great idea! we really should do this. we could have a nice get-together a while before the gig to make the costumes :thumb_yello: now he just needs to anounce a gig in summer here, lol

:woot_jump:

Well Mika, you know what to do!

oh i would totally wear a big girl outfit, and i'm sure you'd look in it too starrats :thumb_yello:

Well maybe then BUT

I won't do it alone :blush-anim-cl:

And I already started to save money for a gig marathon in england :wub2:

But I would be more comfortable in a lollipop girl outfit :biggrin2:

Maybe a blue Big-Lollipop-Girl outfit :biggrin2:

Well maybe then BUT

gig marathon...you won the lottery? :blink: I only once (for now) went to the UK for a gig...don't think I can afford any more for a year.

Don't know if this has been posted but it's a not so good review of the gig:

Mika probaat middel tegen herfstdepressie

door Peter Bruyn

Dinsdag 13 november 2007 - Hij toonde wel lef, de jonge popster Mika, door z’n concert in de uitverkochte Heineken Music Hall zondagavond te openen met zijn grote zomerhit ‘ Relax ( Take it easy)’.

De stemming zat er onmiddellijk in. Zeker toen de zanger onverdroten vervolgde met zijn actuele hitsucces ‘ Big Girl ( You are beautiful)’, waarbij het onderwerp van het lied in metershoge opblaasvorm tegen de achterwand verrees.

Een beetje overmoedig? Verschoot Mika z’n kruit niet héél erg snel?

Eigenlijk wel. Maar de toon van zijn optreden was in ieder geval overduidelijk gezet. Je kon afgelopen zomer geen botsautoritje op de kermis maken en geen truitje bij H& M passen of de toverballenpop van Mika klonk op de achtergrond. De kleurrijke, zomerse meezingliedjes van de als zoon van een Libanese moeder en een Amerikaanse vader geboren Mika was dit jaar alom aanwezig.

De muziek van de pas vierentwintigjarige Michael Penniman, alias Mika, als regelrechte glamrock-pastiche betitelen is nog een understatement.

Zijn succesvolle debuutalbum ‘ Life in Cartoon Motion’ lijkt helemaal samengesteld uit citaten van Queen, Elton John, Scissor Sisters, Sweet en Mud. Bonte liedjes vol licht verholen, campy verwijzingen naar de homoseksuele geaardheid van de zanger. Maar ook het ultieme anti- depressiemiddel bij het huidige, troosteloze herfstweer.

Het zal niet verbazen dat nieuwkomer Mika met zijn handvol begeleiders het raffinement van zijn debuutplaat op het grote Heineken- podium nauwelijks waar kan maken. Het klinkt allemaal een stuk robuuster en minder melodieus en subtiel. Om de stemming erin te houden moet er al snel gegrepen worden naar hulpmiddelen als verkleedpartijen en meeklapsessies – maar daar haakt het publiek gretig op in.

Eigenlijk heeft Mika ook amper genoeg repertoire voor een serieus concert. Met twee aardige nieuwe nummers, een wat slappe cover van de Eurythmics ‘Missionary Man’ en een door ovaties onderbroken Nederlandstalige spreekbeurt maakt de zanger zijn vijf kwartier toch vol. En rennend over het podium, kokette gilletjes slakend en draaiend met zijn kontje windt hij het publiek om de vinger.

Het is gemakkelijk om cynisch te zijn over de effectbejagende lichtgewicht- pop van Mika. Maar wat heeft dat voor zin? In feite is hij de zoveelste gezellige knuffelhomo in de popmuziek, die wat kleur en vrolijkheid brengt tussen alle zware, serieuze, donkere en diepgravende rock.

Translation:

Mika solution against falldepression

Thuesday 13 november 2007 - He did show courage, the young popstar Mika, by opening his sold-out gig in the Heineken Music Hall with his huge summerhit 'Relax (Take it easy)' last sunday.

The mood was good immediately. Especially when the singer continued with his recent hitsuccess 'Big Girl (You are Beautiful)' while the subject of the song rose against the back wall in a huge blow-up doll

A little bit overconfident? Didn't Mika give it all away too soon?

Actually he did. But the tone of his performance was clear. Last summer you couldn't go to the go-karts on the carnival or fit on a shirt in the H&M without the magicball-pop of Mika in the background. The colorful, summerish sing-along songs from the son of a Lebanese mother and American father were clearly around.

To label the music of the only 24 year old Micheal Penniman, alias Mika, as true glamrock is an understatement.

His successful debutalbum "Life in Cartoon Motion" seems to be composed of quotes from Queen, Elton John, Scissor Sisters, Sweet and Mud. multicolored songs full with light concealed, campy references to the gay sexuality of the singer (And he thought he was original). But also the ultimate anti-depressionsolution for the current, depressing fallweather

It's not a big surprise that newcomer Mika and his band can barely live up to the refinement of his deputalbum. It sounds all very robust and less melodocal and subtle. The keep the mood in they quickly have to get tools like dress-up parties and clap-along sessions - but the audience immediately participates

Actually Mika hasn't good a big enough repetoire for a serious gig.

With two nice new songs, a weak cover of Eurythmics "Missionary Man" and a by ovations disturbed Dutch show-and-tell the singer managed to fill his 5 quarters. And by running around stage, screaming and shaking his ass he managed to twist the audience around his finger.

It's easy to be cynical about the Effectchasing lightweighing pop of Mika. But what sense does it make? In fact, he is one of the many cuddly huggable gays in popmusic, that brings some color and happiness in between the heavy, serious, dark, deep rock

we could make you a lollipopgirl outfit if you don't want to be a big girl, no problem :wink2:

actually, 24th of november i'm going to bal masque and still didnt know what yp wear, but maybe i'll practise for next tour and make myself a big girl outfit!

edit: that article is just plain bull****, jesus, some people....

Well maybe then BUT

We're still going to do the Mika Marathon right?:biggrin2: I'm really looking forward to it:naughty: But ofcourse we could just go to a gig here as well. Why not?

And I don't mind dressing up as a character. We should get together before the gig though:biggrin2:

ahh, I completely disagree, but he's entitled to have his opinion, coz that's what it is.

Yeah whatever, I think he just confused this gig with when he had to do the review of the Dries Roelvink gig (Sorry if there are any fans:naughty: )

gig marathon...you won the lottery? :blink: I only once (for now) went to the UK for a gig...don't think I can afford any more for a year.

No that's why I'm "saving money" :bleh: I already had 180 euro's so thats a nice start. I don't spend a lot of money ether. and with marathon I mean 2 or 3 gigs in a row.

And if I would win the lottery I would ask Mika to perform on my 25th birthday next year and invite all the MFC members :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

we could make you a lollipopgirl outfit if you don't want to be a big girl, no problem :wink2:

actually, 24th of november i'm going to bal masque and still didnt know what yp wear, but maybe i'll practise for next tour and make myself a big girl outfit!

You should! :biggrin2:

And I don't mind dressing up as a character. We should get together before the gig though:biggrin2:

Yups!!

Ah it will be so cool, all dressed up!

No that's why I'm "saving money" :bleh: I already had 180 euro's so thats a nice start. I don't spend a lot of money ether. and with marathon I mean 2 or 3 gigs in a row.

And if I would win the lottery I would ask Mika to perform on my 25th birthday next year and invite all the MFC members :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

But just one gig is already pretty expensive right? I mean, the ticket, the plane ticket, transportation in the UK, hotel...

But I'm def not judging, I'm saving myself for JM's next tour :bleh:

it doesn't have to be expensive, flying to london doesnt have to cost more then 70 or 80 euro's, then a couple of tickets and some cheap hostel to sleep, for about 200 or 300 euros it's all possible if we keep everything lowbudget.

it doesn't have to be expensive, flying to london doesnt have to cost more then 70 or 80 euro's, then a couple of tickets and some cheap hostel to sleep, for about 200 or 300 euros it's all possible if we keep everything lowbudget.

sounds like quite a lot to me :bleh:

But just one gig is already pretty expensive right? I mean, the ticket, the plane ticket, transportation in the UK, hotel...

But I'm def not judging, I'm saving myself for JM's next tour :bleh:

last year I saved 2000 euro's for my new computer. And I bought a lot of stuff to that year :shocked: And I was thinking about a gig marathon for about a year from now. :wink2:

so 2000 should be enough right?? :boxed: