People who knows the pain by wisdom teeth thread.

baehj

Had mine out last year! They were so painful coming in that I was trying to shove pens back there to chew on them to relieve the itching and the pain. My orthodontist told me that my wisdom teeth had already come in but I could tell they hadn't because I could feel them coming. What a great orthodontist huh? :sneaky2:

Finally enough was enough and I could tell one of them was coming in waaay too close to my other tooth so I got them surgically removed. About four years before this I had 4 other teeth surgically removed (I have an insanely small mouth) and I know what you went through! One was stuck sideways up in my gum not coming down so they had to cut the gum and break it into bits. :shocked: If I had left the tooth there it could have damaged the nerves of my front teeth. The doctor joked around about me having a tooth growing out of my nose. HA HA FUNNY.... NOT.

I never had any problems with the dissolvable stitches. Did anyone else? My only problem was that during class I'd be pulling bits of thread like stuff out of my mouth during class because they had dissolved off and where on my tongue.

I have an odd, very odd story about the first time I went under. I STILL don't know how it happened.

Apparently when I started to come to and wake up my parents were sitting on both sides of me rubbing my hands because I was stone cold. I remember the lady saying something about cotton then needing to go to scissors. They shoved cotton in my mouth to stop the bleeding and it got all tangled in my braces. Thankfully the drugs were still going strong so that my gag reflex was non-existent. The the odd thing that happened was... I was talking to my parents about the stuff in the room and the pictures on the walls. Then I remember being helped out to the van but get this.... I remember not being able to see a thing until I got into the van. As soon as I got into the van I remember being able to see.

It's SOOOO weird. I told my mom that all I can remember was seeing black. I was aware of what was going on around me, but how can I only remember seeing black, being able to talk about things on the wall and not seeing anything until I get to the car?

Heh... Scut... any idea? :wink2:

It's really weird..Didn't you freak out?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had two removed last wednesday, and the others removed a month ago. :biggrin2:

Yay for injections that hurt like sh!t! :yay:

Lucky me, who didn't get to sleep under the whole seance. HAd to hear them cut my skin and all that :puke:

I had two removed last wednesday, and the others removed a month ago. :biggrin2:

Lucky me, who didn't get to sleep under the whole seance. HAd to hear them cut my skin and all that :puke:

I doubt I would stay awake, after the last time I had 4 teeth removed, I could hear everything and totally went into shock, like cold sweats etc, I doubt they would make me go through that again! *I hope*

Oh yeah! I was chewing on towel tips for weeks to relieve the pain! Like a little baby whose teeth are coming up...

The story about your anesthetics sounds weeeeeird... Is it common where you live too, I mean the general anesthetic?

What they used on me was something we call 'lachgas' in Dutch and I can't remember the English name. Someone was standing next to me, pumping some liquid into my veins for about 1.5 hours (as long as the surgery lasted). It altered my consciousness, I was able to give 'directions', for example: they could asked me if it was painful and I answered, but after I 'woke up' I couldn't remember anything. The weirdest thing of all: afterwards they told me during the surgery I spoke English - which is not my first language... :insane:

That's what I felt like! Like I was a child teething! Also when I was eating I used to like to stick my food back there and chew. Oh how I do NOT miss the pain of them trying t come through. Eventually some of mine broke through but I don't think they came all the way.

Yes, general anesthetic is common here. They gave me three choices when I went in to have my wisdom teeth out.

1. Have the shots or however they do it and be numbed up by completely awake.

2. Be numbed up but sort of out of it.

3. Be totally under.

The first time, when my odd story happened, I don't think I got a choice they just put me out, I'm not sure what the stuff was called either.

That's interesting how you could remember stuff when you had yours done, but very funny that you were speaking english! Wish I could speak a different language when I'm out of it hahahaha.

Well thank goodness for that.....:biggrin2: I think that's very sound advice... Thank you:thumb_yello:

I would suggest talking to people who have had it done and if you have any questions about the procedure talk to the doctor that'll be doing it!

Rosina > that reminds me of my friend's grandpa. He had false teeth and one day his false teeth didn't fit very well anymore. He went to the dentist, had some X-rays made... and they found out that his wisdom teeth were coming up. The poor man was in his 70s! And he was always told that apparently he had no wisdom teeth. How do you call it - a latebloomer? :biggrin2:

I could not imagine being 70 and have that happen!!!!

I was a little troubled during my procedure when the dentist asked the assistant to hand over a.......

REMOTE CONTROL!

So he could turn up the volume on the "Oprah Winfrey Show" that he was tuned into watching while extracting my teeth!

But he could probably perform the procedure with his eyes closed, because I seriously only sat in that chair for 7 minutes tops! :biggrin2:

Errr.... that would sketch me out a bit honestly.

It's really weird..Didn't you freak out?

No, because I could see if I was talking about things in the room but all I can remember is seeing black until I got into the car. I do sort of remember what the room looks like, but I think that was because we visited it when we went to talk to the doctor and probably right after I got out of surgery. The rest is all black.

If anything at the time I would have been freaking out about the cotton stuck in my mouth caught by the braces. As we can see the drugs were at work because I didn't gag at all when I normally would have.

I had two removed last wednesday, and the others removed a month ago.

Ugh! I remember when I was little and I was having a couple teeth pulled because there was no room in my mouth the doctor gave me two shots and one on of them squirted on my tongue. That tasted NASTY and made my tongue numb. Then I remember this other time (or maybe it was the same time) as SOON as I heard and felt the teeth pop out I instantly got up and started walking for the door. They had to get me back to get the cotton in my mouth. Hey I was young and wanted out!

:thumbdown:

I just removed the thingy that was in the wound to keep it clean (and men did that hurt) but it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay smaller that what I saw the doc put into my mouth so i have to call him back tomorrow if that is right :thumbdown: . Because if there is a piece missing then they have to open it all up again :thumbdown:

I just removed the thingy that was in the wound to keep it clean (and men did that hurt) but it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay smaller that what I saw the doc put into my mouth so i have to call him back tomorrow if that is right :thumbdown: . Because if there is a piece missing then they have to open it all up again :thumbdown:

Well thank God it was for teeth and that you didn't give birth :blink:

Has anybody ever woken up on the operating table? I have.

I've also stopped breathing (post-op) when I was up in my hospital room and the team was called to rescusitate.

I also "coded" (arrested) twice on the operating table - was "paddled", then "open heart massage".

I guess I just don't like to be bored or something.

Either that or I was a serial killer in a past life and this is Karmic retribution....:boxed:

BTW - I DID have 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed all at the same time. That wasn't much fun either, but unfortunately, I had to endure a couple of other major traumas at the same time. It was unbelievable. I'll spare you guys all the details.

You just can't make this stuff up......

BTW - I DID have 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed all at the same time. That wasn't much fun either, but unfortunately, I had to endure a couple of other major traumas at the same time. It was unbelievable. I'll spare you guys all the details.

You just can't make this stuff up......

teeth! ack!

I have such sensitive teeth when i drink cold water!

shocks and stuff!!

Joan!!!!! we got home very safe!!!!

listened to MIKA on me ipod all the way home!

woot!

teeth! ack!

I have such sensitive teeth when i drink cold water!

shocks and stuff!!

Joan!!!!! we got home very safe!!!!

listened to MIKA on me ipod all the way home!

woot!

SWEETIE!!! HI!!! GLAD YOU'RE SAFE!!! :biggrin2: :biggrin2:

I was so crashed this afternoon - fell asleep on my couch w/Mika songs playing on my Mac!

Check your Facebook!!!

xoxo

:snog::huglove:

this thread is not making me feel any better about the fact my wisdom teath keep playing games with me, they hurt for about a whole week, and then they stop and then about a fortnight later the same thing, i dont get it....its happend for a whole year now, extreme pain, then nothing, folowed by extreme pain again.

*cant afford to go to the dentist, who will probably refer her to the hospital dentist anyway*

this thread is not making me feel any better about the fact my wisdom teath keep playing games with me, they hurt for about a whole week, and then they stop and then about a fortnight later the same thing, i dont get it....its happend for a whole year now, extreme pain, then nothing, folowed by extreme pain again.

*cant afford to go to the dentist, who will probably refer her to the hospital dentist anyway*

A recommendation to you, Sweetie - get it dealt with! Find out if there is any program or services where some or all of the cost is covered, or borrow the money - but don't let it go. That is, after you have consulted with a dentist specializing in this area recommends that the procedure (extraction) is necessary. Don't f**k with your teeth! There is a reason why they are removed!!! And you shouldn't have to live with so much pain! Please take care! And keep us posted.....

xoxo

:huglove:

A recommendation to you, Sweetie - get it dealt with! Find out if there is any program or services where some or all of the cost is covered, or borrow the money - but don't let it go. That is, after you have consulted with a dentist specializing in this area recommends that the procedure (extraction) is necessary. Don't f**k with your teeth! There is a reason why they are removed!!! And you shouldn't have to live with so much pain! Please take care! And keep us posted.....

xoxo

:huglove:

but the thing is over here, there is no free dental at all! If I go for a consult for the dentist, it will cost me around $90 for a visit, referal costs even more on top of that, where does one find that kind of money as a poor student with no job?

I doubt I would stay awake, after the last time I had 4 teeth removed, I could hear everything and totally went into shock, like cold sweats etc, I doubt they would make me go through that again! *I hope*

Sick! I was shaking like a parkinson diseased rabbit on speed. Hehe. Tried to keep focus on my music! (LiCM = bad drug :thumbdown: )

Ugh! I remember when I was little and I was having a couple teeth pulled because there was no room in my mouth the doctor gave me two shots and one on of them squirted on my tongue. That tasted NASTY and made my tongue numb. Then I remember this other time (or maybe it was the same time) as SOON as I heard and felt the teeth pop out I instantly got up and started walking for the door. They had to get me back to get the cotton in my mouth. Hey I was young and wanted out!

Only two!? I had six injections, and I could still feel.. stuff.. And my tongue also suffered from it :blink::naughty:

i suffered the pain of wisdom teeth growing in for a year before i got them surgically removed.

i had to get all 4 of them done on the same day, and one of them was growing in completly sideways. after i woke up from the anesthesia, i was crying, and the nurse asked me why, and apparently i laughed and said "i don't know".

from the vicodin, and swallowing a bunch of blood, i threw up 3 times, and it was grossssss. after about 5 days the swelling was gone, and about 1 week after the surgery the jaw pain was all gone as well. i've been headache free.

Has anybody ever woken up on the operating table? I have.

I've also stopped breathing (post-op) when I was up in my hospital room and the team was called to rescusitate.

I also "coded" (arrested) twice on the operating table - was "paddled", then "open heart massage".

I guess I just don't like to be bored or something.

Either that or I was a serial killer in a past life and this is Karmic retribution....:boxed:

:shocked: <-- too all of that.

Waking up on the operating table too?! Terrifying. :shocked:

Only two!? I had six injections, and I could still feel.. stuff.. And my tongue also suffered from it :blink::naughty:

Six?!!! Geez! I believe I only had two. One on the inside of my mouth and the other on the outside. I was really young then so maybe that's why, maybe they didn't have to use as much.

That reminds me, I saw a video online of a hypnotist that came to my college and he hypnotized this young girl that has a huge fear of the dentist. I think she had to get a tooth pulled and he hypnotized her to make her calm and so that she wouldn't feel any pain. They said in the video that they didn't give her any shots and you could see she was as calm as could be. :blink:

i had to get all 4 of them done on the same day, and one of them was growing in completly sideways. after i woke up from the anesthesia, i was crying, and the nurse asked me why, and apparently i laughed and said "i don't know".

Sounds like something I'd do, except knowing me I would have probably said something totally random instead of, "I don't know." :naughty:

I totally understand you, guys! My teeth are stupid :naughty:. I had 3 different braces in my life (I still have to use one at night) and 2 wisdom teeth removed this month. My face looked like a big baloon and I felt really bad. I couldn't eat and sleep normally. It was horrible :boxed:.

Sick! I was shaking like a parkinson diseased rabbit on speed. Hehe. Tried to keep focus on my music! (LiCM = bad drug :thumbdown: )

I also had 6 injections... And many stitches :thumbdown:.

I got all 4 of mine surgically removed a couple months ago. It was c-r-a-z-y! But, now I do not have any headaches anymore and it was SO worth it!!!!! And yes, gotta LOVE disolvable stitches!!!!!!! Ahhhhh! :biggrin2: