Teardrop {Massive Attack} cover by MIKA

greta

Teardrop by Mika  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Teardrop by Mika

• I like it
    • I don't like it

I voted I don't like it... Sorry, but I love massive attack, and I loved the song teardrop, and the cover just doesn't work in my opinion... But that's just me...

*waits for all the people to start booing me and hating me and sending me hate-pm's:boxed: *

If I loved the original, I'd be saying exactly the same - if anyone covers a song I love, It's not often I like it....

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I loved the original, I'd be saying exactly the same - if anyone covers a song I love, It's not often I like it....

yeah true... But then again I loved the sweet dreams version much more than the original:biggrin2: and I love that one too :)

"I like it" isn't strong enough. I absolutely positively freakin love it. I've played it over and over and over.

I almost went down that road because Teardrop is one of my all-time favourites and I like what he's done with it.

But then I got distracted by Relax, Take It Easy and put it on repeat for my entire work day. I must have listened to it 100 times already.

I'll get back to Teardrop when I get sick of Relax. It could take awhile.

I'm not a fan either. I didn't know the song before and it just doesn't work for me. Having said that, there have been quite a few of Mika's songs that I didn't like the very first time I heard them that have grown on me and which I love now (Over My Shoulder was like that cos the first time i heard it was a youtube clip and it did nothing for me, but then when I heard the album version I was so enraptured it was hard to believe it was the same song). So if I can make myself give it another go, I make come to like it..... but I'm really not sure I like the actual song, not just his treatment of it.

I'm not a fan either. I didn't know the song before and it just doesn't work for me. Having said that, there have been quite a few of Mika's songs that I didn't like the very first time I heard them that have grown on me and which I love now (Over My Shoulder was like that cos the first time i heard it was a youtube clip and it did nothing for me, but then when I heard the album version I was so enraptured it was hard to believe it was the same song). So if I can make myself give it another go, I make come to like it..... but I'm really not sure I like the actual song, not just his treatment of it.
With Over My Shoulder, that happned to me too. On YouTube, it sounded like just another ballad. But in the car, with only that sound surrounding me, doing nothing else while listening AND when I was in the mood... It did wonders for me.

oh no SORRY! I didn't really understand the poll, and I thought you meant if we'd like to see Mika cry! I remember the song, and I love it! But I have to watch Mika's cover! Where can I find it? Is it on YouTube?

thanks, Madalena P.

ahah:naughty: and what have you voted for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oajvA_UDD2U

if you want just to hear it on your mp3 player, download from here http://www.sendspace.com/file/uqy9v1

ahah:naughty: and what have you voted for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oajvA_UDD2U

if you want just to hear it on your mp3 player, download from here http://www.sendspace.com/file/uqy9v1

Well, it depends. I'd like to see Mika cry of happiness after winning an award or something, but only that. So I said NO:biggrin2:

Thanks! He sounds OK, I think he managed to make his own "version" of the song without copying the original. I'd probably vote "yes".

I have voted that I don't like it.

It's not that I think it's really bad, just that the original is perfect, and no matter how good a singer Mika is, Liz Fraser (who sings on the Massive Attack original) is just extraordinary and she makes anything she sings her own.

Also, I think Newton Faulkner's version is better than Mika's.

And, I always tend to think Mika shouldn't do covers. He never sounds quite right doing them, although Satellite comes pretty close to a great cover. I find his phrasing sometimes a little stilted when he sings covers...fact is, he is a great songwriter and singing his own songs is obviously what he loves doing and is best at.

:biggrin2:

I have voted that I don't like it.

It's not that I think it's really bad, just that the original is perfect, and no matter how good a singer Mika is, Liz Fraser (who sings on the Massive Attack original) is just extraordinary and she makes anything she sings her own.

Also, I think Newton Faulkner's version is better than Mika's.

And, I always tend to think Mika shouldn't do covers. He never sounds quite right doing them, although Satellite comes pretty close to a great cover. I find his phrasing sometimes a little stilted when he sings covers...fact is, he is a great songwriter and singing his own songs is obviously what he loves doing and is best at.

:biggrin2:

:wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2::wub2:

I was trying to find the "politest" way of saying this: but Gatagordinha you say it best!

The original is untouchable and perfect I don't think anyone else can come close to it, even Newton Faulkner (although his is better then Mika's- I agree)....so no I don't like Mika's vocals on Teardrop, just the musical arrangement.

I was trying to find the "politest" way of saying this: but Gatagordinha you say it best!

The original is untouchable and perfect I don't think anyone else can come close to it, even Newton Faulkner (although his is better then Mika's- I agree)....so no I don't like Mika's vocals on Teardrop, just the musical arrangement.

Well I'm happy to see at least three people seem to agree with me (Droopsy, greta, Akim) as I thought I might be The Only Lonely One..

Didn't Mika once say he never wanted to be an interpreter? And that he finds doing covers tricky, because of his dyslexia?? (No wonder Cowell and co. wouldn't touch him with a bargepole.. :bleh: ) He needs to be original, to sing and play something that has originated in his own brain..that seems to be the way his brain is wired..

Mika, no more covers in 2008! I'd rather hear a mediocre original Mika effort than any cover. At least then we are only judging him by his own standards.

Well I'm happy to see at least three people seem to agree with me (Droopsy, greta, Akim) as I thought I might be The Only Lonely One..

Didn't Mika once say he never wanted to be an interpreter? And that he finds doing covers tricky, because of his dyslexia?? (No wonder Cowell and co. wouldn't touch him with a bargepole.. :bleh: ) He needs to be original, to sing and play something that has originated in his own brain..that seems to be the way his brain is wired..

Mika, no more covers in 2008! I'd rather hear a mediocre original Mika effort than any cover. At least then we are only judging him by his own standards.

:( but..but.. I expect another Satellite, or same jeans, or sweet dreams, or hips don't lie..teardrop is the only one I don't fancy, maybe coz it's more "felt" by Choi and Martin rather than Mika.. and we have to think that he was quite convalescent..{aarrh!:giveup: could we ever be objective???}:wub2:

Believe me, I'm happy some other people agree as well:naughty: I was so scared of saying it first :naughty:

That's an intereesting observation. Can you think of a particular line where you really noticed this?

I can't think of a particular line right now, but it's a general feeling that he isn't engaging with the lyrics, or the song itself, as if he finds it hard to interpret it. I think I notice it most on Satellite (which weirdly is my favourite cover of his :blink: but anyway..). The 'feel' for the song isn't there as it is with all his own stuff.

:( but..but.. I expect another Satellite, or same jeans, or sweet dreams, or hips don't lie..teardrop is the only one I don't fancy, maybe coz it's more "felt" by Choi and Martin rather than Mika.. and we have to think that he was quite convalescent..{aarrh!:giveup:could we ever be objective???}:wub2:

It's hard to be objective about someone so wonderful :wub2: but sometimes we have to be, and it's good for the soul :mf_rosetinted:

Never really liked his version of Sweet Dreams..Hips Don't Lie is fun but not really a serious cover, it makes me laugh though.

I used to think about which songs I'd love to hear Mika cover, but now I just think I'd most likely be disappointed by them, so I'd rather not hear any!

I bet Mikey and Martin bullied Mika into Teardrop. Or blackmail. Or something.:wink2: