From Big Girl to Lollipop Girl, Mika's Fat Club

jemmalee

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a scenario: Friday night you go to a party with friends you haven't seen the whole summer and almost everyone you meet comments that you've gained weight since you last saw them. The Monday after that you're at the gym, working hard on the cross-trainer while listening to music on your iPod on shuffle mode. What song comes up? Big Girl (You Are Beautiful). Do you:

a) Sing along out loud?

b) Throw your iPod across the room?

c) Log on to the MFC and write a pedantic response to the song?

I chose C. I'm sure that Mika meant well with the song and envisioned it as a fun anthem for the Butterfly Lounge and didn't consciously include stereotypical assumptions about big women:

1) 'Diet Coke and a pizza please'. So big women eat bad food and unsuccessfully try to compensate for it?

2) 'Big boy come on around and they'll be calling you baby'. So only big men are interested in big women?

3) 'A whole lotta woman needs a whole lot more'. They need a whole lot more of what? Attention? Food? :mf_rosetinted:

He meant well but as a man and a skinny one at that I wouldn't expect him to understand anyway. :fisch:

3) 'A whole lotta woman needs a whole lot more'. They need a whole lot more of what? Attention? Food? :mf_rosetinted:

Ha ha. Like you don't know.

Wow - nothing motivates me more either, than others being direct and saying you've gained weight. :boxed:

I haven't been going to the gym for 3 weeks now. Won't be able to go until next week, because of an exam and way too much work to do. The worse is that I feel the need to constantly pop candy in my mouth as I study...

Closetmikafan registered us for spin classes to start at the end of the month, so I definitely want to build my endurance a little before those classes start (because then I look like a fool quitting 2 minutes into it...).

Ha ha. Like you don't know.

Wow - nothing motivates me more either, than others being direct and saying you've gained weight. :boxed:

I haven't been going to the gym for 3 weeks now. Won't be able to go until next week, because of an exam and way too much work to do. The worse is that I feel the need to constantly pop candy in my mouth as I study...

Closetmikafan registered us for spin classes to start at the end of the month, so I definitely want to build my endurance a little before those classes start (because then I look like a fool quitting 2 minutes into it...).

I don't know. Did I miss something? It would be the first time *coughSITMcough*.

Yes, my darling friends are very direct (read: tactless). But basically I'm so short that if I put on anything you can see the difference, taller people can get away with it more.

Spin classes are brutal, I didn't quit before my first session finished but by the end of it I was more chafed than Mika in Happy Ending. The very next session I bought padded bike shorts, it helped a bit.

Well I hope to be added soon and I agree with Scut Monkey, the song is less than flattering as much as I like it. I was well on my way to being a lollipop girl having lost 200 lbs. (not sure what that is in stones, but it is a bunch) and then the shed deck at work collapsed because it was wood rotted and I got hurt pretty bad. I hurt my back, right knee, left ankle, and broke the bones in my left foot. I couldn't hardly walk for 1 1/2 years and couldn't drive but I am able to drive now. Needless to say I can't exercise any more and have put half the weight back on. But I think that with the positive feedback and ideas from all of you it will make it much easier. I am a professed sweet junkie but luckily it will be spring soon and to me fruit is just as good as candy. Well it is 2 am here and I need to go to bed.

Well I hope to be added soon and I agree with Scut Monkey, the song is less than flattering as much as I like it. I was well on my way to being a lollipop girl having lost 200 lbs. (not sure what that is in stones, but it is a bunch) and then the shed deck at work collapsed because it was wood rotted and I got hurt pretty bad. I hurt my back, right knee, left ankle, and broke the bones in my left foot. I couldn't hardly walk for 1 1/2 years and couldn't drive but I am able to drive now. Needless to say I can't exercise any more and have put half the weight back on. But I think that with the positive feedback and ideas from all of you it will make it much easier. I am a professed sweet junkie but luckily it will be spring soon and to me fruit is just as good as candy. Well it is 2 am here and I need to go to bed.

200lbs is an amazing achievement. :shocked::punk:

You did it once before, so I have faith that you can do it again. Even if it's harder now or takes longer now you can still make it. :thumb_yello:

I need to lose weight! what do I do when the guy I live with (:thumbdown: )

eats candies and chocolates all day and eats nothing else? :mf_rosetinted:

Hi Elanorelle!

Yes, that can be quit difficult if your man doesn't need to lose weight and you do want a bit off.....

Just keep in mind that you can be strong; if he starts eating candy you eat carrots and cucumbers, apples, radiches etc. I know it its very hard, but chin up: the result will be worth it!

I reach my weekgoal last saturday, I wanted to weigh 78,5 kg (is one of since the week before) and I did it. Phoewww....:)

How much do you want to lose?

Hi Elanorelle!

Yes, that can be quit difficult if your man doesn't need to lose weight and you do want a bit off.....

Just keep in mind that you can be strong; if he starts eating candy you eat carrots and cucumbers, apples, radiches etc. I know it its very hard, but chin up: the result will be worth it!

I reach my weekgoal last saturday, I wanted to weigh 78,5 kg (is one of since the week before) and I did it. Phoewww....:)

How much do you want to lose?

about 80 lbs

I am 210 lbs I want to be 140lbs

I am 5'8"

about 80 lbs

I am 210 lbs I want to be 140lbs

I am 5'8"

So, if I'm correct (or rather if CharlotteChristy is correct...) 1 lb is almost half a kilo. So you want to lose about 40 (37) kg. You don't look that big in your picture?:blink:

(btw: do you know what 5'8 is in centimeters?)

200lbs is an amazing achievement. :shocked::punk:

You did it once before, so I have faith that you can do it again. Even if it's harder now or takes longer now you can still make it. :thumb_yello:

Thanks Scut Monkey. I hope your right but it seems to get harder and harder all the time. I really think this thread is a wonderful idea and it will be a big help if only to get the support you need to lose weight. It is a very hard thing to do, especially if you are like me and love :mf_lustslow: chocolate and of course being American I have to love apple pie, oh goodness just shoot me now:gun2:

Hello Everyone!! My name hasn't been added to the list yet but I thought I'd start to post so, I'm 13, 5'1" and I weight 139lb. today!! Now when I started I weighed 148 so I lost about 9 pounds!!!! But I still have a long way to go:thumbdown: I can hardly tell.

Okay, I haven't lost anymore since my first goal. But, I've kept it off. YAY!!

So, any ideas for how to lose when you are completely stressed out and only want to eat chocolate? LOL I have about 45 more kilos to lose!

No ideas, I am in the same situation dear! I didn't have such a good weightloss-week: not enough exercise (I made my kilometers on my spinningbike, but didn't go walking in the evenings with hubby like the other weeks) to much to eat. And there you have it: no weightloss...:thumbdown: I wanted to reach 78kg, for last week it was 78,5kg. But I made it to....drumroll.......79 kilo. Oops :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Promis myself I'm am going to work a lot harder on it next week.

I've made my own comments about Big Girl, but lately I've been feeling more charitable towards the song.

Mostly as soon as I realized that he wasn't saying a big girl feels like a "big balloon" in general, but that the big girl in the song specifically is insecure because she feels that way, and he is saying she shouldn't. Annnnyyyyway:

1) 'Diet Coke and a pizza please'. So big women eat bad food and unsuccessfully try to compensate for it?

I thiiiiiiink that he was actually trying to say that there IS no need to try and "compensate" for wanting to eat food--any kind of food--and that there are no such things as "bad foods."

(Btw, I hate the whole "bad foods/good foods" idea too. It just makes people feel guilty and messes up our entire relationship with eating. No food is good or bad in itself, and all foods are fine to eat in moderation... eating nothing but salad is "bad" too, since it will just lead to malnutrition.)

But my initial reading of the song was the same, and yeah... even if he didn't mean to, it's not that great to provide more ammunition for people who assume that big people are that way because they must be eating nothing but junk food.

Agree with the rest, though perhaps the "more" can be taken to mean... more than what they've been getting? More respect?

Mind, I also have issues with that whole "real woman" thing, and the "feel like I'm gonna die" part. I don't think I appreciate Mika or any man telling us what makes a "real woman," thank you.

--Jack

I've made my own comments about Big Girl, but lately I've been feeling more charitable towards the song.

Mostly as soon as I realized that he wasn't saying a big girl feels like a "big balloon" in general, but that the big girl in the song specifically is insecure because she feels that way, and he is saying she shouldn't. Annnnyyyyway:

I thiiiiiiink that he was actually trying to say that there IS no need to try and "compensate" for wanting to eat food--any kind of food--and that there are no such things as "bad foods."

(Btw, I hate the whole "bad foods/good foods" idea too. It just makes people feel guilty and messes up our entire relationship with eating. No food is good or bad in itself, and all foods are fine to eat in moderation... eating nothing but salad is "bad" too, since it will just lead to malnutrition.)

But my initial reading of the song was the same, and yeah... even if he didn't mean to, it's not that great to provide more ammunition for people who assume that big people are that way because they must be eating nothing but junk food.

Agree with the rest, though perhaps the "more" can be taken to mean... more than what they've been getting? More respect?

Mind, I also have issues with that whole "real woman" thing, and the "feel like I'm gonna die" part. I don't think I appreciate Mika or any man telling us what makes a "real woman," thank you.

--Jack

Those two highlighted points are interesting, I hadn't thought of it that way.

As for your final point, I agree. I felt that some parts of the song were presumptuous but that part stood out the most, his definition of a "real woman".

when i am really down which at the moe is often that song really cheers me up and i cant help but get up and shake my ass to it hence i lose weight hee hee\

plus that song gives me such fantastic memories of london - if youwas in the queue at brixtona nd you saw three insane girls dancing in hte street and trying to get people to join in i was one of those