The Hollywood Writers Strike!

What are your thoughts?

I honestly feel like a bit of a hypocrit... I was so keen on supporting the writers because I do believe they deserve more than what they have received in terms of money and recognition, BUT:

The Golden Globes have been cancelled!:boxed::blink::thumbdown: and I looked forward to them this year especially:sneaky2:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They cancelled the Golden Globes? :shocked:

I admit, I was selfishly a bit relieved when it first happened; I spend every spare minute of free time on this place, so I was falling way behind on all my favourite shows, despite having a PVR. :blush-anim-cl:

Yes, they did:thumbdown: I found out from Perez lol

I've never heard of them cancelling the globes! and KEIRA AND JOHNNY WERE NOMINATED:sneaky2:

I'm suprised its gone on so long, and that the writers haven't caved yet, or the producers haven't offered them an ultimatium, or compromised in any way

That and I'm missing a few of my favourite shows.

But otherwise, it doesn't really affect me.

I don't much care about not having new shows; the writers deserve a lot more recompense for their work. But there's nothing wrong about being upset that the strike impedes programming--that was the point of the strike! :wink2: To show how much the writers matter...

It's kind of disgusting the producers are letting it go on so long and are so opposed to providing the writers with the benefits they deserve.

At least most of the Hollywood actors that I know of seem to support the writers.

--Jack

I don't much care about not having new shows; the writers deserve a lot more recompense for their work. But theres' nothing wrong about being upset that the strike impedes programming--that was the point of the strike! :wink2: To show how much the writers matter...

It's kind of disgusting the producers are letting it go on so long and are so opposed to providing the writers with the benefits they deserve.

At least most of the Hollywood actors that I know of seem to support the writers.

--Jack

Yeah, I saw alot of people picketing with them... I would have probably done the same.

I just hope that the people at home aren't blaming the writers or getting annoyed with them rather than the producers of the shows. That's who I'm upset with:sneaky2:

I'm suprised its gone on so long, and that the writers haven't caved yet, or the producers haven't offered them an ultimatium, or compromised in any way

That and I'm missing a few of my favourite shows.

But otherwise, it doesn't really affect me.

Me too. That is, I was surprised until I learned that the last big Writers Guild strike (1988) went on for nearly 22 weeks. :boxed:

I don't know...maybe (and probably) I'm completely ignorant on the subject, but I think it's a little odd that the actors are supporting them. Don't get me wrong, I think the writers deserve a lot more for their work in both money and recognition and whatever other benefits. They should have support, but I was thinking that maybe if the actors didn't get paid so much then they're be more money for the writers (which would solve at least part of it.) I don't know, it was just a thought, I could be totally wrong, so tell me if I am. :naughty:

Also, I know that talk show hosts like Ellen and Jay Leno have been under heat for "crossing the picket line", but I've got to agree with Ellen's explanation that she signed a contract that she has to fulfill as well as not letting down her fans.

And above all, I definitely agree that the producers are the ones to blame. You can't blame the writers for standing up for what they want.

I watched the Colbert Report yesterday, and it was pretty funny how he sorta made fun of his show without the writers. He normally does "The Word" and he said, "Now here's today's word" or something like that and nothing popped up and he kept pointing at it and then went to break. I thought it was funny.

I support the writers

they spend so many times in preparing / doing infomation research to go through one project

they set up the frame of the movie/tv, it's a very important role

u think Monk is funny ?

it's the writer who work hard to finish the script !!

of course with the amazing actor/actress

though strike is the quite a threatening method

but it's also the most efficient to awaken ppl from knowing this

--Jack

but i think they have double standard..

most of the money spend on actor/actress

if they can transfer a tiny part to them, it still remains lot of money...:boxed:

but i think they have double standard..

most of the money spend on actor/actress

if they can transfer a tiny part to them, it still remains lot of money...:boxed:

That's what I was thinking!

They aren't going to cancel the Oscars.

They're canceling all the red carpet goodness beforehand, and they're not airing the awards ceremony. For starters, the presenters won't have anything funny to say, because the teleprompter is going to be practically blank due to the lack of writers' jokes. Secondly, they don't want to show gentlemen and hollywood dames crossing the picket lines.

They aren't going to cancel the Oscars.

They're canceling all the red carpet goodness beforehand, and they're not airing the awards ceremony. For starters, the presenters won't have anything funny to say, because the teleprompter is going to be practically blank due to the lack of writers' jokes. Secondly, they don't want to show gentlemen and hollywood dames crossing the picket lines.

Perez said the globes were "cancelled" that's why I used that specific word:wink2:

But I know they're just going to show some stuff about the nominees in place of the program.

And perez also annouced today that they wouldn't cancel the oscars:thumb_yello:

Keira Knightley actually is probably relieved...she says she hates red carpet events:naughty:

So is Johnny Depp probably. He really hates those shows. :bleh:

I'm supportive of the writers, but I don't really think it's fair that the writers get mad at people like Ellen DeGeneres for continuing their work. You can't put everybody else out of work. (And Ellen, for example, is perfectly capable of writing her own jokes. Apparently Jay Leno is not that funny without writers. :bleh:)