Who's your modern day style icon?

BonjourMika1990

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I never understood AE, A&F, Hollister, etc.

I mean... these girls (and guys) are paying shetloads of money just to have a plain t-shirt with the word 'Hollister' across it.

In my opinion, it's so stupid. You could buy 3 plain tshirts for that price.

I don't really follow trends, but I wear what I love...my style is definatley bohemian and vintage... I love simplicity and unique, frilly stuff.

I can honestly say that where I'm from, there's no one that dresses like me...

Ha, but doesn't everything you wear come from Urban Outfitters? I think you just dress very NY. At least, from what I see, here lots of people dress like that. Although of course I've only seen a few photos of you, so I don't know how you dress in day-to-day life.

By the way, I think it's hardly fair to call the Olsen twins "teen queens." Unlike many other socialites they have actually earned their money, by working very intensively from when they were kids and eventually taking control of their own company and expanding into all sorts of products. I'm not a fan of them or anything, but I have to give them that.

My own tastes are... all over the place. I like vintage, yes, but "vintage" is such a catch-all--what does it mean? My main touchstones are late Victorian and 18th century inspired clothing, as well as 60s mod, with 20s coming after that. I also love wearing all black and white, or black and one other bright color (red, pink, lime green). I do like frills and rich fabrics and elaborate tailoring and unusual patterning (especially sleeves), but I also like futuristic, geometric shapes, primary-colors and clean simple shapes. Sometimes I like the 19th c.-to-WW I military look too. I get very excited by the mixing of these time periods and fashions: for instance, I hate the 80s but I loved the 60s-by-way-of-80s look that was in a season ago, and I'm really into the art deco-mixed-with-modern look that is in a lot of stores now.

It's really fascinating to track the development of fashion, like:

a couple years ago, 60s and 70s style briefly had a revival, and stores were full of paisely print and moddish dresses and those newsboy caps that are everywhere now (along with big sunglasses) really came into vogue, but the color palette was mostly late 60s: ie, brown, orange, purple.

Then as a separate fashion arc, we had the comeback of the 80s: lots of black and hot pink, the reemergence of leggings, a LOT of huge polkadot patterns (which then veered off a bit into a 50s design revival and went away), the return of huge neon clunky jewelry, legwarmers, sequins.

Then the 80s comeback calmed down a bit, and most of the neon and taffeta went away, but the leggings stayed, and as a new interpretation of the 80s oversize sweater/tee with leggings, fashion dipped back into the 60s and came up with the trapezoid-shaped tunic with leggings and sack dresses. These tunics were basically cut the same as mod dresses, and used a lot of 60s designs: bold and simple color patterns, big round buttons, streamlined form--but rather than being made of a stiff fabric that would create a stiffer silhouette, it was made of soft, loose t-shirt like fabric that gave them a different movement.

And now those tunics have mostly given up the 60s big-button, trapezoidal look (that's still going on in overcoats like here, here and here), and have instead become even softer and pleated, with art nouveau patterning and beading--but still retaining a bit of the 80s, and simplified of course.

Since I love art nouveau and Alphonse Mucha, I think this is brilliant.

mucha26.jpg

mucha28.jpg

46747159-03.jpg

46732453-03.jpg

44981665-01.jpg

--Jack

Ha, but doesn't everything you wear come from Urban Outfitters? I think you just dress very NY. At least, from what I see, here lots of people dress like that. Although of course I've only seen a few photos of you, so I don't know how you dress in day-to-day life.

By the way, I think it's hardly fair to call the Olsen twins "teen queens." Unlike many other socialites they have actually earned their money, by working very intensively from when they were kids and eventually taking control of their own company and expanding into all sorts of products. I'm not a fan of them or anything, but I have to give them that.

My own tastes are... all over the place. I like vintage, yes, but "vintage" is such a catch-all--what does it mean? My main touchstones are late Victorian and 18th century inspired clothing, as well as 60s mod, with 20s coming after that. I also love wearing all black and white, or black and one other bright color (red, pink, lime green). I do like frills and rich fabrics and elaborate tailoring and unusual patterning (especially sleeves), but I also like futuristic, geometric shapes, primary-colors and clean simple shapes. Sometimes I like the 19th c.-to-WW I military look too. I get very excited by the mixing of these time periods and fashions: for instance, I hate the 80s but I loved the 60s-by-way-of-80s look that was in a season ago, and I'm really into the art deco-mixed-with-modern look that is in a lot of stores now.

It's really fascinating to track the development of fashion, like:

a couple years ago, 60s and 70s style briefly had a revival, and stores were full of paisely print and moddish dresses and those newsboy caps that are everywhere now (along with big sunglasses) really came into vogue, but the color palette was mostly late 60s: ie, brown, orange, purple.

Then as a separate fashion arc, we had the comeback of the 80s: lots of black and hot pink, the reemergence of leggings, a LOT of huge polkadot patterns (which then veered off a bit into a 50s design revival and went away), the return of huge neon clunky jewelry, legwarmers, sequins.

Then the 80s comeback calmed down a bit, and most of the neon and taffeta went away, but the leggings stayed, and as a new interpretation of the 80s oversize sweater/tee with leggings, fashion dipped back into the 60s and came up with the trapezoid-shaped tunic with leggings and sack dresses. These tunics were basically cut the same as mod dresses, and used a lot of 60s designs: bold and simple color patterns, big round buttons, streamlined form--but rather than being made of a stiff fabric that would create a stiffer silhouette, it was made of soft, loose t-shirt like fabric that gave them a different movement.

And now those tunics have mostly given up the 60s big-button, trapezoidal look (that's still going on in overcoats like here, here and here), and have instead become even softer and pleated, with art deco patterning and beading--but still retaining a bit of the 80s.

Since I love art deco and Alphonse Mucha, I think this is brilliant.

mucha28.jpg

46747159-03.jpg

46732453-03.jpg

44981665-01.jpg

--Jack

URBAN is my favorite store, I don't think it necessarily means I follow trends... I do consider my style NY because when I was out there I found people just like me lol... But I need to spend more time out there to know...

I referred to the olsens as teen quens not as a bad thing...I'm envious of their success, and for a while there they were just teen stars... I started to respect MK when she went to NYU... and also when she did that whole public battle with anorexia... I thought it was really brave of her.

I just heard on E that neon was now "IN"

I am quite fond of hot pink... :)

well, i cant think of a fashion icon right now, but maybe keira knightley mixed with kirsten dunst maybe? I'm not sure haha

I dress in coats on top of skirts, and for sure I'm inspired by the 1800s and 1900s with frills and lace. I dress sort of like from a Tim Burton movie sometimes. grays and blacks and I have this awesome coat thats veryyy tim-esque haha

my style can be described by completely vintage old fashioned, with some days that I dress modern. And I love color too!!! :wink2: i love combining hoodies under coats. a colorful hoody under a grey coat!

coats are my favorite clothing item! : they keep you warm, come in all different colours and sizes, have awesome collars and sleeves, and pockets, and you can wear them with anything!!

I also love to experiment with everything. When I'm bored I think of different outfits, and at night I think of more outfits before i go to bed. So haha yup!

Nice thread idea! :biggrin2:

I mean... these girls (and guys) are paying shetloads of money just to have a plain t-shirt with the word 'Hollister' across it.

hear hear!!! I completely agree with you :wink2:

Everyone knows who I am going to say. If there were one woman that I would try to emulate, it would be Gwen Stefani. Actually, the only designer clothing that I buy is LAMB or HL.

Here are some pictures of her wearing LAMB:

gwen_stefani03_300.jpg

I have the hoodie she's wearing here. :D

normal_004~8.jpg

gstefani2.jpg

normal_gwenhb002.jpg

normal_scan1505.jpg

vmas4.jpg

I also think it's funny that people will pay triple the price just to have a teeny tiny eagle, moose, or whatever animal stitched on their shirt as if that makes all the difference. Of course there are people who just like the clothes regardless of the brand name so kudos to them. I just think it's dumb to buy clothes strictly for the logo.

I had a teacher last year who was quite a character. It was his last year and he didn't give a crap what he did. Anyway, this girl always wore name brand clothes and he started calling her "Hollister," even though she really didn't even wear Hollister. He said that he's never owned a single clothing item that had a logo or whatever visible and that he thinks it's dumb to pay clothing companies so that you can advertise them. Every single day of his teaching career he wore a suit and tie. Every single day. As he was explaining his opinion to us he was trying to find a logo on his jacket and he couldn't find one and finally looked at the tag. Then he asked the class who Ralph and Lauren were. :roftl:

Ha, neon has been in and out lately!

I'll admit I follow trends when I like them, and otherwise I make up my own stuff. It's hard to really NOT follow trends unless you shop solely at Goodwill or something--even at vintage stores, they'll stock the stuff that looks like it's "hot" now.

So I prefer, when I dress up, to simply put my own spin on whatever I have in my wardrobe. One of the funniest compliments I've received recently from an online acquaintance was "It's been a year since I met you, and I STILL remember the shoes you wore."

Anyway, I noticed I didn't really answer your question, I'm sorry. Considering I am so all over the place, I can't pin down any one person. I like Zooey Deschanel, but she doesn't inspire me--I just kinda like her and her dresses.

I do better with fictional characters.

Charlotte Charles from "Pushing Daisies" is my style icon for when I want to dress 50s.

Dash+and+Chuck+at+Pie+Hole.jpg

0000043610_20071003111341.jpg

Barbara Eden in "I Dream of Jeannie" is my style icon when I want to dress mod.

And the cinematographer/visual director/designer/whatever of Lemony Sicket: A Series of Unfortunate Events the movie is my inspiration in general dress. :wink2:

--Jack

Everyone knows who I am going to say. If there were one woman that I would try to emulate, it would be Gwen Stefani. Actually, the only designer clothing that I buy is LAMB or HL.

Here are some pictures of her wearing LAMB:

gwen_stefani03_300.jpg

I have the hoodie she's wearing here. :D

normal_004%7E8.jpg

normal_scan1505.jpg

vmas4.jpg

The amount of money I've spent on LAMB stuff :blink: Doesn't bear thinking about.

Hardly anyone wears it here though. I saw a lady on the tube the other month wearing a WDMLG cashmere and I got all excited then she saw that I was wearing a LAMB bag and we were both just looking at each other laughing at our amazed expressions :naughty:

Ha, neon has been in and out lately!

I'll admit I follow trends when I like them, and otherwise I make up my own stuff. It's hard to really NOT follow trends unless you shop solely at Goodwill or something--even at vintage stores, they'll stock the stuff that looks like it's "hot" now.

So I prefer, when I dress up, to simply put my own spin on whatever I have in my wardrobe. One of the funniest compliments I've received recently from an online acquaintance was "It's been a year since I met you, and I STILL remember the shoes you wore."

Anyway, I noticed I didn't really answer your question, I'm sorry. Considering I am so all over the place, I can't pin down any one person. I like Zooey Deschanel, but she doesn't inspire me--I just kinda like her and her dresses.

I do better with fictional characters.

Charlotte Charles from "Pushing Daisies" is my style icon for when I want to dress 50s.

Dash+and+Chuck+at+Pie+Hole.jpg

0000043610_20071003111341.jpg

Barbara Eden in "I Dream of Jeannie" is my style icon when I want to dress mod.

And the cinematographer/visual director/designer/whatever of Lemony Sicket: A Series of Unfortunate Events the movie is my inspiration in general dress. :wink2:

--Jack

oo i love her clothes in the first picture!!!

I don't know where to find 50s clothes though :thumbdown: it sucks

I love the 50s style :wub2:

i love mika's boldness although there are some things he wears which i don't REALLY like.. but i do have a lot in common with him in terms of taste, and i've even had red skinnies for quite some time:cool: .. i love coloured skinnies in general:thumb_yello: .. i love misha barton's style.. and lilly allen's.. amy winehouse's.. gwen stefani! but yeah i do tend to make up my own trends a lot of the time.. it's so much more fun:mf_rosetinted: ..

I hate the mall, that's the place I hate... at least my mall lol

I have to go all the way downtown to shop...because the stuff is so much more unique...not necessarily expensive either...

I love H&M and Urban Outfitters:mf_lustslow:

same here !!!!

and style exchange! but that place is wayyyyy expensive.

If this thread exists, sorry but I havn't seen it lol

I don't really follow trends, but I wear what I love...my style is definatley bohemian and vintage... I love simplicity and unique, frilly stuff.

See I took a fashion course over the summer and found out that I really don't want to design clothes *rolls eyes* but I did enjoy learning about style...

I can honestly say that where I'm from, there's no one that dresses like me... I pair skinnies with 4 inch boots and wear my hair long (sometimes shakira-ish lol)... I'm always mixing colors, never caring to match... I love knits and bold patterns... My inspiration is almost always the 60's and 70's.

I thought I would never find anyone famous who resembled my way of dressing... suddenly, out of no where a little teen queen grew some fashion sense and I couldn't hate her anymore :P

Anyways, my modern day style icon is:

Mary Kate Olsen... I can't help but love the way she dresses! She's got that bohemian, messy... chic look to her...that just works. I love it! For a while, it was really big and baggy, but I think she's finally found a great rhythm...She makes bold statements... I also adore the way she does her hair. Everything looks effortless for her, like she enjoys style and has fun with it...

Who's your modern day style icon?

Cool thread.

I usually go against trends and make up my own combinations of clothings, alongside to that i simply love the british fashion style.

My modern day style icon will probably be Kate Winslet, she is just a beautiful woman who is very true to herself and has a very good sense of style, elegant and sophisticated.

r130603431901fd4.jpg

And oh wait I do have one!

The Depp ofcourse.

johnny_depp2.jpg

Ahh, gotta love the Depp.

And I don't really have a style icon either. That's not to say that I'm "an individual who doesn't want to dress like anyone else" or whatever. I just don't really pay that much attention to what celebrities are wearing in an attempt to dress like them. I buy what I like, especially if it's on sale. Simple as that.

Oh, and about Hollister. I have a few shirts from there, just because I used to think it was so cool to have my name on my shirt. :naughty:

Those of us that are less-fortunate don't HAVE tshirts with our names on them.

My mom made me one when I was like... 8. But I took sillyputty and made myself two little "boobs" (just round balls of putty) and stuck them between the shirt and my (lack of) chest.

So it had two little orange-y stains where my nips should have been, and my mom wouldn't let me wear it anymore.

Those of us that are less-fortunate don't HAVE tshirts with our names on them.

My mom made me one when I was like... 8. But I took sillyputty and made myself two little "boobs" (just round balls of putty) and stuck them between the shirt and my (lack of) chest.

So it had two little orange-y stains where my nips should have been, and my mom wouldn't let me wear it anymore.

ROFLLLLLLLL that's hilarious. I would have loved seeing you ruin your shirt like that.

And isn't it odd that the girl with the weird name (me) is the girl that has her name in a giant clothing company's name?

(And I think I said the word 'name' too many times in that last sentence.)

ROFLLLLLLLL that's hilarious. I would have loved seeing you ruin your shirt like that.

And isn't it odd that the girl with the weird name (me) is the girl that has her name in a giant clothing company's name?

(And I think I said the word 'name' too many times in that last sentence.)

I hate the way you have your name on all these icons online!

There's like... 3 girls on the planet named Hollis, and they decided to run a muck with icon generators.:sneaky2:

Plus, you can tell everyone the truth.

that I'm secretly your style icon.

I hate the way you have your name on all these icons online!

There's like... 3 girls on the planet named Hollis, and they decided to run a muck with icon generators.:sneaky2:

Plus, you can tell everyone the truth.

that I'm secretly your style icon.

Haha, those girls have Hollis pride!

And attention everyone:

Sarie is my style icon.:mf_rosetinted: