La Presse (Montreal) about Mika

guylainem123

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

«C'est complètement bizarre. Franchement, je ne comprends pas. C'est toujours un honneur d'avoir une nomination, mais franchement, je suis complètement confus devant celle-là. (…) En même temps, cela ne me dérange pas. C'est simple: j'écris mes chansons pour moi-même. Je ne fais pas semblant que je le fais pour rendre service à qui que ce soit. Je «procède» les choses qui se passent dans ma vie et j'essaie de m'aider! Ceux qui le comprennent, tant mieux. Et ceux qui ne le comprennent pas en ont tout à fait le droit. C'est à cause de mon entraînement en musique classique, je crois: il n'y a pas de paroles en classique, ou elles sont dans une langue étrangère. Les gens dans la salle comprennent tous quelque chose de différent de la personne assise à côté d'eux. C'est la liberté de la musique…»

part IV

it's totally weird. honestly i dont understand. It's always an honnor to have a nomination, but frankly i'm totally confused with that one...In the same time it doesnt bother me. It's simple: I write songs for myself and i dont pretend i do it it to help anyone else out there.

I "proceed" things that happen in my life and i try to help myself first !

those who dont understand have absolutely the right. It's because of my classical music practising i guess: there is no lyrics in classical music, or it's in a different language. People sitting in the room all understand something different that the person sitting next to them, it is the FREEDOM of music...

What's he talking about here? Thanks x

It's a great article!! Nothing bad to say about Mika at all!!!

Thanks to Véro for translating it as she read it to me off the computer screen!! :roftl: :roftl: :roftl:

who would have thought she could have come in so handy huh????

enjoy your poutine!! :roftl: :roftl: :roftl:

Je suis obsédé par la nécessité de ces contrastes très prononcés pour exprimer pleinement toutes les couleurs de nos vies. La douleur n'est pas vraiment la douleur tant qu'elle n'est pas présentée en opposition avec l'euphorie, et vice-versa. Je suis un grand amateur d'art japonais, surtout la musique et l'animation, pour cette raison: dans les mangas (bédés japonaises), par exemple, tout est toujours à la fois diabolique et pur, tous les protagonistes ont en eux une égale mesure des deux. C'est ce contraste qui donne énormément de force à ce que vous essayez de dire dans une chanson: vous pouvez parler de quelque chose de très triste et misérable, mais en présentant aussi un côté plus euphorique, vous lui donnez une perspective. Certains considèrent que c'est une forme de fuite en avant. Moi, je ne le crois pas.»

part III

I'm obsessed by the necessity of very strong contrasts to xplain fully all the colors of our lives. Pain is not really pain until it's is not shown in opposition with joy and vice versa. i'm a huge amateur of japanese art (so am I,lol) over all music and animation, for this reason in mangas(japanese cartoons) everything is in the same time evil and pure, all the charachters have an equal measure inside themselves. It is that contrasts that gives so muh strenght to what you're trying to say in a song; you can talk about something really sad and pathetic but also by showing the funny side of it, you give it a perspective that way. Some consider that it is a fuite en avant (lol ,no idea how to translate this) but personally I dont thnk so

fuite en avant = an escape

What's he talking about here? Thanks x

Avec raison: les chansons les plus tristes de Mika ont en effet un étrange effet réconfortant alors que ses plus joyeuses ont un petit quelque chose de grinçant qui trouble. Cela n'est pas perçu ainsi par tous: son album a obtenu une nomination aux Grammys dans la catégorie disque dance de l'année:

i think she forgot to translate the above... maybe this will help you:

And rightly so: Even Mika's saddest songs have a strange effect on people, a comforting feeling. As for the happy ones, they have a little something that leaves you troubled. But not everyone sees this: his album was nominated for the grammys in the danse category for 2007:

( and then you can continue with the rest of the text)... he is talking about his grammy nomination.

fuite en avant = an escape

thank you, but i couldnt translate it because Mikster has been really subtile in this interview, he is talking about colors, drawing and perspective into art ...and in painting or drawing etc you have un " point de fuite" when you draw or paint to give a perspective to an image, so when he says "FUITE en avant " it's very brilliant because it refers to " the point de fuite" you use when you draw... that's why it was difficult for me...

thank you, but i couldnt translate it because Mikster has been really subtile in this interview, he is talking about colors, drawing and perspective into art ...and in painting or drawing etc you have un " point de fuite" when you draw or paint to give a perspective to an image, so when he says "FUITE en avant " it's very brilliant because it refers to " the point de fuite" you use when you draw... that's why it was difficult for me...

lol j'ai du y penser un petit moment avant de trouver "le mot"

«C'est complètement bizarre. Franchement, je ne comprends pas. C'est toujours un honneur d'avoir une nomination, mais franchement, je suis complètement confus devant celle-là. (…) En même temps, cela ne me dérange pas. C'est simple: j'écris mes chansons pour moi-même. Je ne fais pas semblant que je le fais pour rendre service à qui que ce soit. Je «procède» les choses qui se passent dans ma vie et j'essaie de m'aider! Ceux qui le comprennent, tant mieux. Et ceux qui ne le comprennent pas en ont tout à fait le droit. C'est à cause de mon entraînement en musique classique, je crois: il n'y a pas de paroles en classique, ou elles sont dans une langue étrangère. Les gens dans la salle comprennent tous quelque chose de différent de la personne assise à côté d'eux. C'est la liberté de la musique…»

part IV

it's totally weird. honestly i dont understand. It's always an honnor to have a nomination, but frankly i'm totally confused with that one...In the same time it doesnt bother me. It's simple: I write songs for myself and i dont pretend i do it it to help anyone else out there.

I "proceed" things that happen in my life and i try to help myself first !

those who dont understand have absolutely the right. It's because of my classical music practising i guess: there is no lyrics in classical music, or it's in a different language. People sitting in the room all understand something different that the person sitting next to them, it is the FREEDOM of music...

I do agree with him here. When someone writes a song it's usually very personal to them, I don't think anyone writes for anybody elses feelings or experiences, that wouldn't come across as genuine as it wouldyour own.

If people can find something of themselves or something personal to them in a song, that is going to to be a bonus for the writer, but not their sole intention.