Mika overcomes struggles

greta

Mika turns early adversity into something positive

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/M/Mika/2008/01/28/4798858-sun.html

Artists suffering for their art is nothing new.

And in the case of flamboyant Lebanese-born dance-pop singer-songwriter-keyboardist-producer Mika, he would seem to qualify. His family fled war-torn Beirut in the 1980s -- first to Paris and then to London. During the first Gulf War in 1990, his father, in Kuwait on business, was held hostage at the American Embassy for a year.

While living in London, an 11-year-old Mika was bullied at school, stopped talking, forgot how to read and write and was pulled out of classes for six months after suffering a nervous breakdown.

Some 13 years and a major-growth spurt later -- Mika now stands over six feet tall -- his debut album detailing those early years, Life In Cartoon Motion, has sold more than four million copies, largely due to the breakout hit, Grace Kelly, garnering him a leading four BRIT awards and a Grammy nod for best dance recording for the tune Love Today.

"I've (written about) quite a crazy part of my life because it was my schoolyard album, that's why there's so many childhood references in it," said Mika down the line from London leading up to tomorrow night's show at Kool Haus after a gig last night in Montreal.

"It's the weird thing to think I've only been out of someone else's control, out of proper, strict, organized education, for a year and a half. I've been under someone else's timetable for my entire life so that immediately affected the way I was writing. And I think that there is quite a cartoon-like thing about growing up and when you write pop songs, you instantly are drawing almost caricatures of all the different emotional things that you are going through."

Mika, who favours balloons, confetti and even animal costumes in his live shows, describing them as "pretty hysterical and quite party-like," is all set to deliver an extravaganza performance at the Feb. 20 BRIT Awards in London.

"I leaked it too soon," he added of his BRIT performance. "And I almost lost my slot but I've been working on it for about the past month and a half -- you can look at it two ways, controlling and manipulative or passionate.

I've been overly involved, they're not used to that but that's just the way I like to do things. Especially when you're trying to create something special. It's very hard to just show up and let someone tell you what you're going to be doing on that day."

But he adds, "To think that a year ago I was a bit of a joke and now I'm getting nominated for things like that -- so yeah it made me smile a lot.

It's quite sweet and charming."

As for the Grammys on Feb. 10 in L.A., his attendance is still up the air.

"I don't know if I will actually (be there) because I'm in the middle of my tour," Mika said. "Of course, I'm getting a lot of pressure from my management to show up because that's their job -- but I don't know, I may, I may not. When you're not performing you just feel like you're a little bit victim to the madness of it all."

There have even been rumours that his operatic pop sound, somewhere between the Scissor Sisters and Rufus Wainwright, has led to Madonna asking him to work on her new album.

"I'm not working with her," Mika said. "Believe me, if I got asked to work with her, I certainly wouldn't turn it down. Of all the women I'm fascinated by, she's certainly up there."

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I cant wait for the Brits .. I think he will blow them away . This really is one hugeee opportunity for him :punk:

Sounds like he had a right old fight with them over his performance. No wonder he gets people's backs up! Wouldn't have him any other way though :punk:

Sounds like he had a right old fight with them over his performance. No wonder he gets people's backs up! Wouldn't have him any other way though :punk:

Yeh I can just imagine .. I want 20 trumper players , balloons .. :roftl:

Actually he knows what a huge opportunity this is , Im actually nervous for him for the first time .. dunno why .. I think its just the Brits and all :wink2:

20 days !! :punk:

Yeh I can just imagine .. I want 20 trumper players , balloons .. :roftl:

Actually he knows what a huge opportunity this is , Im actually nervous for him for the first time .. dunno why .. I think its just the Brits and all :wink2:

20 days !! :punk:

Yeah I know what you mean about being nervous. The Brits are so huge. And he knows so many people will be hoping he falls flat on his face :boxed: .

If he puts in a killer performance though...who knows, he might change a few minds.

I hope his falsetto is on top form on the night :wink2::naughty:

Yeah I know what you mean about being nervous. The Brits are so huge. And he knows so many people will be hoping he falls flat on his face :boxed: .

If he puts in a killer performance though...who knows, he might change a few minds.

oh well, in any case he can play the Jolly...Saranayde as distraction factor!:roftl:

*runs to hide in the couch*

YEH thats it for me too .. if he fails (which he wont) everyone would critise .. as they do

I cant wait for the glowing reviews , we know its going to be a tad special :punk:

Of all the awards the Brits is certainly the biggest, so I can understand why he would want it to be just right for him.

If someone else did all the creative work on it, it just wouldn't work, it wouldn't be a real Mika perfomance. So he is right to put his foot down and be in on it from start to finish.

I understand where FD is coming from, on being nervous for him. I feel some trepidation the nearer it gets, because as we know he never seems entirely comfortable when playing a mixed crowd, I guess he's only entirely happy when he plays to his own fans.

If any of us manage to get tickets, we must let him know we're there to make him feel at home.

Of all the awards the Brits is certainly the biggest, so I can understand why he would want it to be just right for him.

If someone else did all the creative work on it, it just wouldn't work, it wouldn't be a real Mika perfomance. So he is right to put his foot down and be in on it from start to finish.

I understand where FD is coming from, on being nervous for him. I feel some trepidation the nearer it gets, because as we know he never seems entirely comfortable when playing a mixed crowd, I guess he's only entirely happy when he plays to his own fans.

If any of us manage to get tickets, we must let him know we're there to make him feel at home.

Perfect ! just how I feel ........

Sod it Im going to buy a couple of cds at the weekend . if i win Im taking you!!

Perfect ! just how I feel ........

Sod it Im going to buy a couple of cds at the weekend . if i win Im taking you!!

Thank you you are very kind.

Wish WH Smiths were doing Brits promotions then I could get at least 4 entries.

I entered the comps on the Brits site though, so you never know.

Worried about Brits?

Pfft, he's Mika. He doesn't deliver bad performances, especially not when it matters.

Even his sub-par performances when he is sick are considered solid by those who aren't used to seeing him in top form.

--Jack

YEH not so much worried as .... nervous .. I know hell pull it off .. but its live on BBCTV and its one helluva gig over here ....

I'm nervous AND excited for him all at the same time, I just hope he also enjoys his performance I know we will cos we know just how GOOD he is and the word just doesn't hit the mark. (wish I could go too but I can't even remember if I entered the comp on the site lol).