Mika, each time you repeat one of your soundbites on stage, I like you a little less.

JackViolet

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing that I found strange was how after GK he went to change into his lolli get up... but than about 20 seconds later, he came out in his gig clothes and just sort of clapped and bowed at us...and than went back to change... I thought that was so sweet, and I don't know what he meant:wub2:

Yeah he did that to us because everyone started saying his name really loudly so he stepped back out with a huge smile on his face while everyone cheered. I believe he clapped and bowed too and that held us over until the Teddy Bears Picnic started. :naughty:

In reply to this thread, I think the reason why some things are scripted is because I'd say for most people at the concert it's their first time. If it was my first time I'd rather him tell us why I haven't heard such-and-such song on the radio. Not everyone there follows him like we do. Heck, the concert I went to had 1,000 to 2,000 people and look how many MFCers it was that went, not a lot (even though some may have gone but don't post regularly.) Also I think the reason for this is is because he doesn't talk much about his life, which I don't blame him at all. If you can't talk to people about what's going on in your life then it's harder to tell stories unless if you make them up... which I'd rather have something scripted that's true instead of a false story. I also know if I was to do random banter on stage I'd have a hard time. There'd be a lot of awkward pauses, so maybe that's the same with him? Who knows.

Just my opinion. :original:

because you were thinking about Mika's zipper? :wink2:

I just thought it was funny. I pictured you saying it in real life, and I choked.

I should just stop drinking when I'm on the forums. I usually end up laughing/choking/coughing until my throat hurts.

In reply to this thread, I think the reason why some things are scripted is because I'd say for most people at the concert it's their first time. If it was my first time I'd rather him tell us why I haven't heard such-and-such song on the radio. Not everyone there follows him like we do. Heck, the concert I went to had 1,000 to 2,000 people and look how many MFCers it was that went, not a lot (even though some may have gone but don't post regularly.) Also I think the reason for this is is because he doesn't talk much about his life, which I don't blame him at all. If you can't talk to people about what's going on in your life then it's harder to tell stories unless if you make them up... which I'd rather have something scripted that's true instead of a false story. I also know if I was to do random banter on stage I'd have a hard time. There'd be a lot of awkward pauses, so maybe that's the same with him? Who knows.

Yup. Whenever I'm in a show, my director always tells the cast not to improv weird things or add in inside jokes onstage because though it might be the 300000th time we've done the show, it's the audience's first time seeing it.

Haha, we should use this thread to create new "unplanned" banter topics for him.

We need:

#1 An endearing story about his struggles in the record industry.

#2 A confessional moment of vulnerability.

#3 A humorous observation about the audience.

#4 A pride-boosting compliment to the audience.

#5 A "daring" criticism of the media response to his shows.

Anyone have any good ideas?

--Jack

I just thought it was funny. I pictured you saying it in real life, and I choked.

I should just stop drinking when I'm on the forums. I usually end up laughing/choking/coughing until my throat hurts.

Speaking of funny... your avatar? AMAZING. Him and Russell Brand on a quiz team together is nothing short of absolute genius.

Look at the amount of shows Mika does...it a little difficult to try to be spontaneous and come up with new banter for every show. Not everything can be different.

Plus, like Jen said, not everyone's as crazy as us! Some people don't watch videos from his concerts online (I know, weird, right?). If I had never seen anything from his previous concerts, I wouldn't want to miss out on his stories just because he said it about a thousand miles away from me at his last concert. No matter how repetitive, they're still cute.

I don't know. I like it.

Haha, we should use this thread to create new "unplanned" banter topics for him.

We need:

#1 An endearing story about his struggles in the record industry.

#2 A confessional moment of vulnerability.

#3 A humorous observation about the audience.

#4 A pride-boosting compliment to the audience.

#5 A "daring" criticism of the media response to his shows.

Anyone have any good ideas?

--Jack

you could add something sexual that'll get him in trouble with parents of young fans.

Speaking of funny... your avatar? AMAZING. Him and Russell Brand on a quiz team together is nothing short of absolute genius.

Why thank you. I was just about to change it, actually. That ridiculous little 80x80 pixel limit HARDLY does him justice.

Yup. Whenever I'm in a show, my director always tells the cast not to improv weird things or add in inside jokes onstage because though it might be the 300000th time we've done the show, it's the audience's first time seeing it.

Yeah, but there's a difference between a directed show and a concert. I'm not saying he should improvise on his songs.

Look at the amount of shows Mika does...it a little difficult to try to be spontaneous and come up with new banter for every show. Not everything can be different.

He can still repeat the same stories if he really wants to, but "new banter" is as easy as opening your mouth and saying whatever comes into your head. It's not like most of his scripted stuff is unusually profound or anything anyway.

Every other band/artist I see appears to have no problem with unscripted stage banter, so I really don't know why he has to be an exception.

--Jack

Yeah, but there's a difference between a directed show and a concert. I'm not saying he should improvise on his songs.

Every other band/artist I see appears to have no problem with unscripted stage banter, so I really don't know why he has to be an exception.

--Jack

I just get sick of the scripted interviews.

"I was born in Beirut..." YES WE KNOW.

DAMMIT MIKA.

Yeah, but there's a difference between a directed show and a concert.

In a way, though, maybe he's trying to make it more like a concrete, set show?:

I think he's really truly trying to craft the ultimate concert. He's figuring this out as he goes along. He has said so many times that he needs everything to be perfect when he's recording, and I'd guess that it's the same with his live performance - at least for now. He's got a vision of the exact experience he wants his audience to have, and he keeps crafting it and molding it as he goes along so that it's exactly what he wants it to be for each person who's seeing it for the first time.

But I'm with you Jack, I think he should improv his banter. It is getting old. I'm just trying to give what might be Mika's viewpoint...maybe.

But I'm with you Jack, I think he should improv his banter. It is getting old. I'm just trying to give what might be Mika's viewpoint...maybe.

I don't know if you could properly give Mika's point of view...

I doubt your nose is big enough.

ZING! I'm an asshole.

I just get sick of the scripted interviews.

"I was born in Beirut..." YES WE KNOW.

DAMMIT MIKA.

Hahah. Yeah, but see, at least it's somewhat understandable in interviews. Even so, he's caught on to that and has something new to say at almost every interview now, even if he retreads some topics. More than that, he's clever enough to be proactive about it and turn the subject to something else where he can have something new to say if he sees the interviews are being repetitive. If he was clever enough to do that there, why not here?

--Jack

He can still repeat the same stories if he really wants to, but "new banter" is as easy as opening your mouth and saying whatever comes into your head. It's not like most of his scripted stuff is unusually profound or anything anyway.

--Jack

I don't know, I'm just saying I don't think it's that easy. That might just be me though. If I were up on stage I don't know if I'd be able to just chat about different things all the time. It's not like there's just one person in the room with you and you're like "Oh, I've been meaning to tell you..." There are thousands of people staring at you at one time. I wouldn't even know what to say. And you'd have to pick certain things to say because it can't be conversation or anything. Banter would have to be a random comment, such as "Ah crap, my fly is open." And I'd say Mika's done a pretty good job on that one... :naughty:

I don't know if you could properly give Mika's point of view...

I doubt your nose is big enough.

ZING! I'm an asshole.

Stop upstaging my thread. Geez. :roftl:

See, Mika can even hire you to do his damn stage banter. You just delivered about 3 shows' worth of material right in this thread.

So everyone who thinks it isn't easy must think that Mika's not as clever as Sarie. :naughty:

--Jack

Stop upstaging my thread. Geez. :roftl:

See, Mika can even hire you to do his damn stage banter. You just delivered about 3 shows' worth of material right in this thread.

So everyone who thinks it isn't easy must think that Mika's not as clever as Sarie. :naughty:

--Jack

I'll just walk out on the stage between all the songs and say "LETS GIVE IT UP FOR MIKA'S NECK! Holding up his huge nose for, what, 24 years now Meeks? Woo, go nose."

I don't know, I'm just saying I don't think it's that easy. That might just be me though. If I were up on stage I don't know if I'd be able to just chat about different things all the time. It's not like there's just one person in the room with you and you're like "Oh, I've been meaning to tell you..." There are thousands of people staring at you at one time. I wouldn't even know what to say. And you'd have to pick certain things to say because it can't be conversation or anything. Banter would have to be a random comment, such as "Ah crap, my fly is open." And I'd say Mika's done a pretty good job on that one... :naughty:

Personally, I think it's quite easy to banter. I've done tiny gigs before at places like Coffeehouses, and it's actually not as hard as you'd imagine. Just say what you think mostly.

Then again, I also am in a improv troupe, so I might not be the best example :naughty:

I'll just walk out on the stage between all the songs and say "LETS GIVE IT UP FOR MIKA'S NECK! Holding up his huge nose for, what, 24 years now Meeks? Woo, go nose."

That poor neck's gotta support the nose and the hair. Someone give that thing a medal.

Banter would have to be a random comment, such as "Ah crap, my fly is open."

Considering that banter time is in fact pretty limited, I'd rather have stuff like "my fly is open," or "so on the way here we saw this ridiculous dive bar, and that reminded me of..." than yet another repeat of a fake reminiscence about Billy Brown.

Honestly that sort of thing gives us much more insight and connection to the person on stage, and that's what we want, isn't it?

--Jack

You think the Mikster's button nose is big? You have never seen my Lebanese boy, obviously. :naughty:

--Jack

I imagine I'd be gunned down outside the gig the first night if I did his banter for him.

Some woman with big hair would be reporting as they covered up my body, like "A young fat girl was gunned down outside of Terminal 5 tonight after a Mika concert. Eye witnesses tell us she was, in fact, his banter-bitch for the evening, providing his jokes for him for the duration of the concert. Curly hairs were found at the scene, which lead investigators to believe it was either a sexual-oriented crime, or the musician himself is to blame for this thoughtless slaughtering."