Mika, each time you repeat one of your soundbites on stage, I like you a little less.

JackViolet

Seriously. You're so good at everything else, can't you drop the painfully staged scripts and engage in some spontaneous stage banter, like in SLC?

I was really moved by your quote about radio play and live shows in Philly because it was new, and seemed genuine. I joked that I would bet you'd be repeating it at every show since, but of course you are. Yes, it was a good bit, but not as a "bit"--it was only moving and good as something earnest and real. I had thought your slight hesitation prior to saying it was because you were disclosing something vulnerable, a confession of sorts--not because you were trying to remember the latest addition to your script.

The overly-worn Billy Brown bit just makes me grind my teeth at this point.

--Jack

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well at my gig his zipper spontaneously went down and he called himself a t*t:mf_rosetinted:

lol:roftl:

His fly was open at our gig too. :naughty: He didn't realize till someone in the crowd pointed it out to him. I got him on video talking about it...haha

His fly was open at our gig too. :naughty: He didn't realize till someone in the crowd pointed it out to him. I got him on video talking about it...haha

LOL

that's why he said "Once again I've made a t*t out of myself!":roftl: You'd think the boys from Midway would say something to him...or atleast his mum! :P

Seriously. You're so good at everything else, can't you drop the painfully staged scripts and engage in some spontaneous stage banter, like in SLC?

I was really moved by your quote about radio play and live shows in Philly because it was new, and seemed genuine. I joked that I would bet you'd be repeating it at every show since, but of course you are. Yes, it was a good bit, but not as a "bit"--it was only moving and good as something earnest and real. I had thought your slight hesitation prior to saying it was because you were disclosing something vulnerable, a confession of sorts--not because you were trying to remember the latest addition to your script.

The overly-worn Billy Brown bit just makes me grind my teeth at this point.

--Jack

I sort of agree and sort of don't. It gets a little old to those of us who follow him obsessively, whether live or online. However, I don't think he's intending to be contrived...

I think he's really truly trying to craft the ultimate concert. He's figuring this out as he goes along. He has said so many times that he needs everything to be perfect when he's recording, and I'd guess that it's the same with his live performance - at least for now. He's got a vision of the exact experience he wants his audience to have, and he keeps crafting it and molding it as he goes along so that it's exactly what he wants it to be for each person who's seeing it for the first time.

He's also using this first year or two to really figure out what works for him and what doesn't... I think that's partly what Andy is for. Partly for memories, yes, but I have a sneaking suspicion that Mika actually goes back and studies tapes of himself - like an athlete - to see what worked and what didn't. Now, before people get their backs up... I really do not think this is manipulative at all... I think this is an artist trying to perfect his art.

I totally agree that the scripted banter gets a little old when you've seen it a few times. But, I think that the next tour (when the next album comes out - yay!) will be more relaxed and laid back. He'll be more sure of himself and will trust himself more. Or not... if this amazing work ethic (or OCD) is so ingrained in him, maybe that's just the way he needs it to be. Maybe that's what feels right for him.

I think it's actually pretty cool that he puts THAT much thought and energy and effort into making his show and his image exactly what he wants it to be. He's not wasting time partying or resting on his accomplishments... he's got a passionate work ethic and is striving for excellence. I appreciate it and count it as part of his growth as a musician.

OMG the open fly is his newest scripted thing!!!!11onez~!

I know that he does make unscripted little asides sometimes--I mean, he's human, he has to. :naughty: And it's great when he does. I just wish he'd quit relying so much on scripts in general. It was understandable at first, when he was only getting used to the media scrutiny and public attention and it was the safest way to deal with it, but he ought to be comfortable with himself as a public persona by now enough to let his guard down a little. I say it's almost laziness on his part--having a preplanned script he can follow is just the easy way out.

He's managed to relax in interviews, and has been much more free with what he says there for ages--why not on stage?

--Jack

haha yeah! i remember that! i think my friend might have gotten a picture of him zipping it up. he was so embarrassed when he found out. i wonder if he was wearing the same pants as he was in boston and in chicago... hmm... if not, maybe it's some kind of plan he has concocted if you know what i'm trying to get at... :wink2::blush-anim-cl:

Pfffffft.... that was a pretty f**ing hilarious response to this thread!!! :roftl: :roftl: :roftl:

lol I thought it was spontaneous, but it's happened before apparantly:naughty: :sneaky2:

Did he call your venues "one of my favorite venues ever..." :sneaky2: That's what he said to us lol:mf_rosetinted: He better have meant it too

lol I thought it was spontaneous, but it's happened before apparantly:naughty: :sneaky2:

Did he call your venues "one of my favorite venues ever..." :sneaky2: That's what he said to us lol:mf_rosetinted: He better have meant it too

Nope he did not say that in Toronto! He thanked us for being great (which we are), but didn't say boo about the venue. It was small and nothing too special though.

AND he did NOT leave his fly undone for us!! Dammit!

I think he's really truly trying to craft the ultimate concert. He's figuring this out as he goes along. He has said so many times that he needs everything to be perfect when he's recording, and I'd guess that it's the same with his live performance - at least for now. He's got a vision of the exact experience he wants his audience to have, and he keeps crafting it and molding it as he goes along so that it's exactly what he wants it to be for each person who's seeing it for the first time.

I agree, and I don't mind if he keeps some things fairly scripted: a lot of people do. But he must be bright enough to realize that a rather important part of "the ultimate concert experience" is unplanned, spontaneous stage banter that allows the crowd to feel as though they are sharing a unique moment with the performer. And surely he must also realize that the parts of his scripts that are effective because they are perceived as "confessions" are also only effective if they are, in fact, somewhat genuine and not just "part of the act."

--Jack

One more thing that I found strange was how after GK he went to change into his lolli get up... but than about 20 seconds later, he came out in his gig clothes and just sort of clapped and bowed at us...and than went back to change... I thought that was so sweet, and I don't know what he meant:wub2:

If this is all we have to complain about, then I'd say Mika is doing fairly well for himself.

Well maybe that's not ALL. :mf_rosetinted:

But in any case, I just think he's smart and talented enough to do better. Especially since he is so good at being naturally charming and entertaining and funny without a script. Shame to see that not being put into use.

--Jack

I think he's just walking out on stage with his fly undone on purpose, now.

Sometimes I wonder if he realizes there's such a thing as technology. Maybe he doesn't realize that everyone is putting these videos online. So he's like "I'LL TELL THEM A STORY THEY'VE NEVER HEARD BEFORE! I WROTE BIG GIRL IN 15 MINUTES blahblahblah"

one thing that he said to us is "this is supposed to be a soft-seater. Your supposed to f***ing behave yourselves!" Us Bostonians don't behave ourselves. we have no rules for life. :punk:

and then he said something about how boston is one of his favorite cities to perform in. :wub2:

One more thing that I found strange was how after GK he went to change into his lolli get up... but than about 20 seconds later, he came out in his gig clothes and just sort of clapped and bowed at us...and than went back to change... I thought that was so sweet, and I don't know what he meant:wub2:

I think he does that in lots of places because he did it in Minneapolis too.

Well maybe that's not ALL. :mf_rosetinted:

But in any case, I just think he's smart and talented enough to do better. Especially since he is so good at being naturally charming and entertaining and funny without a script. Shame to see that not being put into use.

--Jack

Oh my God! You're falling out of love with Mika!

It's like witnessing something spectacular in history happening.

omgomgomgomgomgomg.

I think he's just walking out on stage with his fly undone on purpose, now.

Hey, I already made that joke! On the last page!

Although you did it better. :sneaky2:

Sometimes I wonder if he realizes there's such a thing as technology. Maybe he doesn't realize that everyone is putting these videos online. So he's like "I'LL TELL THEM A STORY THEY'VE NEVER HEARD BEFORE! I WROTE BIG GIRL IN 15 MINUTES blahblahblah"

Hahah. Well he did use to be a Myspace addict. But I guess it's possible he isn't aware of the extent of the sharing of his concert footage. Although I don't even care if he really thinks we haven't heard it or not--I just care that he's treating his stage banter as just another part of the setlist.

--Jack

one thing that he said to us is "this is supposed to be a soft-seater. Your supposed to f***ing behave yourselves!" Us Bostonians don't behave ourselves. we have no rules for life. :punk:

and then he said something about how boston is one of his favorite cities to perform in. :wub2:

Haha I totally laughed so hard when he told us to behave. But I liked at the end before Grace Kelly when he said "If you guys don't fill this corridor I swear I WILL!" Haha I was like "well...in our defense, he did tell us to behave earlier."

Hey, I already made that joke! On the last page!

Although you did it better. :sneaky2:

--Jack

I didn't see it, apologies.:sad:

New Mika setlist:

Relax intro

Big Girl

Love Today

Unplanned banter

Holy Johnny

unplanned story about the US, and how much it sucks.

Billy Brown

Lollipop

etc.