So it seems things are changing for him...

BonjourMika1990

I'm thrilled with his success, his immense success.

BUT, it is bittersweet. As most have predicted, it has become more and more difficult to meet with him after shows. It has become even more difficult to even catch quick glances of him. His management has been setting boundaries (which is good if done in a nice way) and limited meet and greets to just that, something short and sweet (God Willing)

It's lucky to meet him, but it doesn't happen for most people... I understand looking at a line of 200 people is scary and could be annoying...

But in all honesty, this makes me sad. I never wanted to believe that Mika could be capable of shunning his fans, and I still don't believe it. BUT, has the big time changed him for good?

It always seems as though he doesn't do what he does for the respect of the music industry... He has always said that it is for him, that making music makes him happy.

Well he could have sang his songs and played his piano in his basement for the rest of his life...so obviously he wanted the fame.

If you think about it, it is a beautiful sacrifice on our part. For a year now, we've all assisted in passing on the word about this talented guy...WE are responsible for his success because we buy his albums and spread the "mika love." Now that we've done that, now that he's sold out all of these shows because of us it's almost as if we are saying goodbye to an era of our lives.

The sweetness outweighs the bitterness because Mika is happy and successful, getting what he deserves.

Never forget that we were the first to love him, the first to profess that love in THIS INSANE, BUT WONDERFUL WAY.

Tonight was one of those nights when things were on my mind after reading the reports... I went to start a thread and the words just flowed. Please, no fighting:blush-anim-cl:

Can you relate?

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you've hit it right on the nose!! It'll be a sad day if MIKA ever stops the meet and greets with his fans, short and sweet is still satisfying. It's better than nothing at all right? I don't believe that he would ever shun his fans, if anything it'll be his management like you mentioned that set the boundaries....hopefully not him!!

I think you've hit it right on the nose!! It'll be a sad day if MIKA ever stops the meet and greets with his fans, short and sweet is still satisfying. It's better than nothing at all right? I don't believe that he would ever shun his fans, if anything it'll be his management like you mentioned that set the boundaries....hopefully not him!!

I hope it's not him...and I can't believe that he would allow such treatment. So I have to believe that he is in a sense oblivious to what goes on...but than again I'm sure he understands his managements frustration.

I hope things change for the better with the promotion of his next album :)

i know exactly what your saying. and yes. it is getting harder to meet him! i've been very lucky to meet him both times that i've seen his show.

i think that mika is doing the best he can with all the fame that he's gotten. its not like he's intentionally "oh shun them shun shun shuN!" lol he just needs to have time for himself.

what makes me mad is that people that are fortunate enough to stalk him all over the world and meet him every single time. its so hard not to hate on them. so so so so hard.

i know exactly what your saying. and yes. it is getting harder to meet him! i've been very lucky to meet him both times that i've seen his show.

i think that mika is doing the best he can with all the fame that he's gotten. its not like he's intentionally "oh shun them shun shun shuN!" lol he just needs to have time for himself.

what makes me mad is that people that are fortunate enough to stalk him all over the world and meet him every single time. its so hard not to hate on them. so so so so hard.

I definatley agree with that...I'm more so upset with the rudeness displayed by some of the people he works with... they seem to be getting hasty with the fans who WAIT, and that's just not necessary if they're not being disruptive. Luckily, i havn't experienced that...

His other manager, the one that accompanied him on his last tour of the U.S didn't say a word lol...he just stood there and as a result everyone got like 5 minutes with Mika which was more than enough really.

Melanie, I know what you mean. In Boston, we really weren't supposed to meet him. It wasn't a meet and greet, we just stayed way too long and security let the 20 or 30 of us left meet him for about 10 seconds each (no pictures, autographs, anything). But, I can't be selfish. I'm SO happy for Mika!

It's almost like our secret is out now...people are finally catching on.

This conversation has cropped up a few times lately, in a bunch of other threads.

Yes, our l'il boy is growin' up. Did you see the size of the venue he's playing in Paris this July? Something like 47,000 people! I can't imagine. After seeing him in a 2,000 person venue, I sort of don't even want to imagine. That's July of 2008. As recently as November/December 2006, he was playing to crowds of less than a thousand.

500 people to 45,000 people in the space of 18 months is freakin' massive.

I don't necessarily think that the "fame" aspect was his goal when first making LICM. I think he wanted to get far enough with his music so that he could make a living with it, go on tour, and do what he obviously loves - perform.

I think that if we went back in time and told Mika in February 2006 that within two years he'd be selling out stadiums, and that LICM would sell more than five million copies...he'd probably giggle at us, not believing a word of it.

That said, it has happened...and a by-product of that is that access is getting sadly more limited. John gets to double as a bit of a drill sergeant after the shows, in order to make sure Mika doesn't get mobbed, or spend half his life signing things and posing for photos.

I don't believe for a moment that the fame has "changed" him, or that he's not deeply appreciative of his fans. I think he also knows that many an act has released a killer first album, only to have their second album flop. But, I'm sure that Mika himself has days when he dreads the thought of standing out in the cold to meet a long line of fans...not because of anything against his fans, but because he's cold/tired/sick/grumpy, or whatever.

But, it IS the end of an era. We got a fair bit of access at most stops on this last North American tour, even in LA were there was probably between 100 and 200 people lined up to meet him. But thinking back, less than a year ago he was playing in CD shops and bookstores.

So it's all an evolution. Moments like that, sadly are going to become rare things. And that postively sucks for the fans who have never gotten a moment with him, as well as for those who have gotten these moments but crave more. On this side of the pond, we're kind of lucky that US radio has been slow to embrace Mika. He may never play more to more that 3,000 people at most shows here, and while I wish him the best, I can't say I'd be too upset if that turns out to be the case.

I've waxed before about how, for us fans, it's sh*tty to think that we won't get pics and autographs. We won't get to give him gifts, and it'll be harder and harder to be front row at his shows.

The tradeoff is that this guy that we all love is getting to do what HE loves...and even if it's changing, at least we get to benefit. A new album is on the horizon, but who knows what Meeks has in store beyond that. A stadium tour? Followed by a rebel-against-stadiums intimate acoustic tour? Another DVD? So many possibilities.

I think that as bittersweet as it is, its helpful to focus on the fact that his star is only beginning to rise...even if he personally isn't as accessible, there's oh so much more still to come from him.

I'm not sure if any of that made sense, but it's my two cents...

I don't really think he's forgotten about us or is shunning us or whatever. I get what you're saying, but his time can only be stretched so thin. He's got interviews, award shows, shows, meet and greets (if time allows), etc, etc, and he's constantly traveling. When does Mika get Mika time? I can only imagine how tired he must be after shows, and it must take a lot out of him to have to go outside and meet with fans. It just can't happen every time, especially with it being so cold outside. Weren't we all just saying we wanted him to be healthy?

It may be sad, but that's what's gonna happen as his popularity goes up. He can't meet with everyone, no matter how hard he tries. I hope his management doesn't set too many boundaries, but they've got to put Mika first and when you do the same thing over and over, concert after concert, I think any sane person would get at least a little annoyed.

I think it was fairly easy meeting him in all of the American tour concerts. :blink: The only one where he didn't meet and greet was Chicago because their was a blizzard, at least that's what I thought.

Anyways I'm happy for him! :wub2: I really couldn't care less if I'm happy as long as he is, so if he's happier getting popular and not meeting fans after every concert then I'm happy. If he's not as happy then I feel bad for telling everyone I can about him. :naughty::biggrin2:

I definatley agree with that...I'm more so upset with the rudeness displayed by some of the people he works with... they seem to be getting hasty with the fans who WAIT, and that's just not necessary if they're not being disruptive. Luckily, i havn't experienced that...

His other manager, the one that accompanied him on his last tour of the U.S didn't say a word lol...he just stood there and as a result everyone got like 5 minutes with Mika which was more than enough really.

ya i saw mika in salt lake and i didnt really care for the manager. he didnt talk much but i had waited for mika patiently when he was being swarmed with people and then he left without me even getting a turn...but i ended up running into him at his hotel and i got like 5 minutes in the hallway with him...with his manager getting mad at him for talking to us :S

(well..it seemed he was mad)

Mika treats his fans a lot better than most artists out there....and I truly believe he will continue to do his best to treat us well.

In essense, the thing that is going to change in the end is not Mika at all....the thing that will change is the fact that Mika will be making more and more fans over time and it is not humanly possible to meet and greet with each and every one of them.

I don't really think he's forgotten about us or is shunning us or whatever. I get what you're saying, but his time can only be stretched so thin. He's got interviews, award shows, shows, meet and greets (if time allows), etc, etc, and he's constantly traveling. When does Mika get Mika time? I can only imagine how tired he must be after shows, and it must take a lot out of him to have to go outside and meet with fans. It just can't happen every time, especially with it being so cold outside. Weren't we all just saying we wanted him to be healthy?

It may be sad, but that's what's gonna happen as his popularity goes up. He can't meet with everyone, no matter how hard he tries. I hope his management doesn't set too many boundaries, but they've got to put Mika first and when you do the same thing over and over, concert after concert, I think any sane person would get at least a little annoyed.

Yeah, and I'm not ignorant of those points... I'm basically acknowledging the change and seeing if people relate.:thumb_yello:

This conversation has cropped up a few times lately, in a bunch of other threads.

Yes, our l'il boy is growin' up. Did you see the size of the venue he's playing in Paris this July? Something like 47,000 people! I can't imagine. After seeing him in a 2,000 person venue, I sort of don't even want to imagine. That's July of 2008. As recently as November/December 2006, he was playing to crowds of less than a thousand.

500 people to 45,000 people in the space of 18 months is freakin' massive.

I don't necessarily think that the "fame" aspect was his goal when first making LICM. I think he wanted to get far enough with his music so that he could make a living with it, go on tour, and do what he obviously loves - perform.

I think that if we went back in time and told Mika in February 2006 that within two years he'd be selling out stadiums, and that LICM would sell more than five million copies...he'd probably giggle at us, not believing a word of it.

That said, it has happened...and a by-product of that is that access is getting sadly more limited. John gets to double as a bit of a drill sergeant after the shows, in order to make sure Mika doesn't get mobbed, or spend half his life signing things and posing for photos.

I don't believe for a moment that the fame has "changed" him, or that he's not deeply appreciative of his fans. I think he also knows that many an act has released a killer first album, only to have their second album flop. But, I'm sure that Mika himself has days when he dreads the thought of standing out in the cold to meet a long line of fans...not because of anything against his fans, but because he's cold/tired/sick/grumpy, or whatever.

But, it IS the end of an era. We got a fair bit of access at most stops on this last North American tour, even in LA were there was probably between 100 and 200 people lined up to meet him. But thinking back, less than a year ago he was playing in CD shops and bookstores.

So it's all an evolution. Moments like that, sadly are going to become rare things. And that postively sucks for the fans who have never gotten a moment with him, as well as for those who have gotten these moments but crave more. On this side of the pond, we're kind of lucky that US radio has been slow to embrace Mika. He may never play more to more that 3,000 people at most shows here, and while I wish him the best, I can't say I'd be too upset if that turns out to be the case.

I've waxed before about how, for us fans, it's sh*tty to think that we won't get pics and autographs. We won't get to give him gifts, and it'll be harder and harder to be front row at his shows.

The tradeoff is that this guy that we all love is getting to do what HE loves...and even if it's changing, at least we get to benefit. A new album is on the horizon, but who knows what Meeks has in store beyond that. A stadium tour? Followed by a rebel-against-stadiums intimate acoustic tour? Another DVD? So many possibilities.

I think that as bittersweet as it is, its helpful to focus on the fact that his star is only beginning to rise...even if he personally isn't as accessible, there's oh so much more still to come from him.

I'm not sure if any of that made sense, but it's my two cents...

MANA, once again you have understood me the best my friend:blush-anim-cl: Thank you for that!

But Mika's not a prisoner, he provides them with instructions for what to do and they wouldn't do anything without his consent. If they did, I don't think they'd be his management anymore... :roftl:

Obviously Mika understands the risks that come with increased fame and it's prudent to limit the amount of contact with fans... although they all may look "nice," some may be up to no good. The same thing goes for why the presidential hopefuls have had Secret Service agents following them around since last year. Better safe than sorry.

Yes, I know that.

Guys please don't start taking notes on everything I say...it's not meant to be analyzed.

And I don't want to be made to look like I Wanted him to get caught in a blizzard:shocked: That's absurd.

Well I'm just annoyed with a lot of people complaining about Mika not coming out in Chicago when it was impossible. :blush-anim-cl: And I'm bored so.... :naughty:

Exactly. If he'd had stayed out there he would have missed his next show, which would have been even more unfair.

The Midway State didn't make it because they stayed. :crybaby:

Well I'm just annoyed with a lot of people complaining about Mika not coming out in Chicago when it was impossible. :blush-anim-cl: And I'm bored so.... :naughty:

Word to that. I didn't even get to go to the concert. Still have the unused ticket. :naughty:

We ended losing that basketball game if you remember me telling you about it. :naughty: