Celiac Disease

I'm hoping to get as much information possible on this disease that I can. So far I have met with a dietician, a celiac disease support group and have done a lot ( a lot a lot a lot) of research online. What I would really like though is to find people to connect with personally and learn tricks, recipes.... what have you. I have a 3 year old little girl who was just recently diagnosed with celiac disease and it's not easy. I know it's just the beginning and that things will get better and come more naturally with time, but wow, This is overwhelming.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey girl!

I personally can't help with recipes or ideas...but I hope that out of all the people on here, someone has some new insight.

The only tidbit of advice I can offer is that organic grocery stores (like Planet Organic) usually have a wide selection of gluten-free food. :blink:

Best of luck!

Hey girl!

I personally can't help with recipes or ideas...but I hope that out of all the people on here, someone has some new insight.

The only tidbit of advice I can offer is that organic grocery stores (like Planet Organic) usually have a wide selection of gluten-free food. :blink:

Best of luck!

This is when I wish that I lived in a bigger city. We don't have much for a selection of store bought gluten free products. We do have one store that has a semi-decent selection, but I also have to deal with an allergy to egg white as well and most store bought product contains egg:thumbdown: There are some grocery stores such as Sobey's, Safeway, and Superstore that do have somewhat of a selection as well, but nothing to write home about. That's for sure, but thank you for your advice anyway, next time I'm in Calgary I'll have to look for Planet Organic to see what kind of goodies I can find for my sweetpea.

It is so hard as a parent to have a child with such a diagnosis.

Sometimes it helps to rethink the family's overall diet a bit. We tend to think of eating cereal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and meat and 3 veg for dinner. (or if you are vegetarian, spinach pasta or whatever)

I live in Japan and we eat a much more rice-based diet. (Rice is gluten free)

I had to rethink everything when I had a child who was allergic to eggs, so I had to learn to cook without eggs etc, but what it taught me was to look beyond our normal dietary ideas, and try some different things, like preparing my own foods. You have to think a bit outside the box, so to speak.

You could try eating rice porridge with fruit for breakfast, or nuts and cheese (if you don't have nut allergies...)

Homemade soups, stews or beans for lunch and rice with meat or fish and veg for dinner can easily be gluten free.

There is a webpage here you may have already found.

http://www.celiaccentral.org/

Also for vegetarian celiacs,

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/gluten.html

I know how hard it can be. It gets easier, and you do adjust to having to prepare different sorts of foods in your family's diet. Hope you can find some others nearby who have similar concerns and you can have some immediate support.

It is going to be a challenge, but one that will get easier.

I know here in Australia it is become an almost common condition and there is a growing range pf premade products available. Hopefully the stores that you have access to (or online sites which can deliver to your area) will continue to have more and more products available.

The coffee shop chain I work for are always looking for new products that are gluten free and it is amazing some of the products you can still have with some adjustments to the ingredients.

Good luck!

It is so hard as a parent to have a child with such a diagnosis.

Sometimes it helps to rethink the family's overall diet a bit. We tend to think of eating cereal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch and meat and 3 veg for dinner. (or if you are vegetarian, spinach pasta or whatever)

I live in Japan and we eat a much more rice-based diet. (Rice is gluten free)

I had to rethink everything when I had a child who was allergic to eggs, so I had to learn to cook without eggs etc, but what it taught me was to look beyond our normal dietary ideas, and try some different things, like preparing my own foods. You have to think a bit outside the box, so to speak.

You could try eating rice porridge with fruit for breakfast, or nuts and cheese (if you don't have nut allergies...)

Homemade soups, stews or beans for lunch and rice with meat or fish and veg for dinner can easily be gluten free.

There is a webpage here you may have already found.

http://www.celiaccentral.org/

Also for vegetarian celiacs,

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/gluten.html

I know how hard it can be. It gets easier, and you do adjust to having to prepare different sorts of foods in your family's diet. Hope you can find some others nearby who have similar concerns and you can have some immediate support.

Thank you very much for the links I will definitely check them out!! Also thank you for the advice. I do plan on doing a lot of gluten free baking and I do know that there is a wide variety of food choices out there that we can all eat together and not have an issue with having to make any special preparations. I think finding the appropriate flours, starches etc.... is going to be my main issue since I don't live in a big city and nobody really offers anything more than 1Kg bags( some have bigger bags, but it's very questionable after making some phone calls with it being 100% gluten free)

It is going to be a challenge, but one that will get easier.

I know here in Australia it is become an almost common condition and there is a growing range pf premade products available. Hopefully the stores that you have access to (or online sites which can deliver to your area) will continue to have more and more products available.

The coffee shop chain I work for are always looking for new products that are gluten free and it is amazing some of the products you can still have with some adjustments to the ingredients.

Good luck!

yes, celiac disease is becoming more and more common. A lot of people have the disease, but are unaware due to a lack of symptoms or even misdiagnosis.( and don't take it as seriously as it should be)

I have been given a name of a website in which I can buy flour so I would like to check it out and hopefully it won't be too expensive. It's absolutely insane how much a person has to pay for a product that is gluten free!!

I've also found a recipe that combines certain flours and starches that you can use cup for cup in any recipe. YAY!!!!

the only thing i know is that they can't have anything with Gluten in it and it's spelled Coeliac :wink2:

Sorry but I must correct your correction to me it is celiac!! I have books and pamphlets coming out of the wazoo with the spelling.

I'm hoping to get as much information possible on this disease that I can. So far I have met with a dietician, a celiac disease support group and have done a lot ( a lot a lot a lot) of research online. What I would really like though is to find people to connect with personally and learn tricks, recipes.... what have you. I have a 3 year old little girl who was just recently diagnosed with celiac disease and it's not easy. I know it's just the beginning and that things will get better and come more naturally with time, but wow, This is overwhelming.

Just wanted to let you know - I have a niece in Montreal who has celiac disease. It took forever to diagnose and she was sooo horribly ill for quite awhile, even after it was diagnosed. But she got lots of good information and eventually got stabilized and today she is better than ever! So don't give up hope! At least you know what you're dealing with, which is half the battle! Once your little girl is on the appropriate diet I'm sure things will turn around. Good luck with everything - you're in my thoughts...

the only thing i know is that they can't have anything with Gluten in it and it's spelled Coeliac :wink2:

Sorry but I must correct your correction to me it is celiac!! I have books and pamphlets coming out of the wazoo with the spelling.

Actually, you're both right, depending upon which side of the Pond you're on - one's a UK spelling, one's a North American spelling.

Another one of those colour vs. color things. :thumb_yello:

Hey that's an idea - if you Google the alternate spelling, you'll may get some new hits with UK-based information you may not have seen before.

Sorry to hear your daughter has this disease. Being so young makes it unfair, but I'm sure she will adjust without too much problem. Kids always do.

I don't have Coeliac (Australian spelling) Disease but I have tasted the gluten-free bread. If you try it yourself (I can't remember if it has egg) I suggest you don't eat it expecting it to taste like bread. It tasted more like a crumpet/breakfast muffin to me. Most of the biscuits are nice too.

Is it possible to ask your supermarket if they could order in some more gluten-free products? Maybe you could seek out a Naturopath or a Dietitian. They will have some great hints.

You might have to cook two different meals sometimes to cater for both of you.

Wikipedia has some good info click here

If you do worry about her not getting all the vitamins she needs, then I suggest you look into buying a Hospital Food Drink that is Gluten free. These cover all vitamins and minerals we need, one glass will replace a meal, and it is gentle on the digestive system. Tastes yummy with Ice-cream topping for flavouring - But make sure the topping is gluten-free. Google the product's ingredients. Over here Thickener (1422) is a gluten free one, but I'm not sure if it is the same over there.

And that's something to watch out for obviously.. thickeners.. :thumbdown:

Sorry to hear your daughter has this disease. Being so young makes it unfair, but I'm sure she will adjust without too much problem. Kids always do.

I don't have Coeliac (Australian spelling) Disease but I have tasted the gluten-free bread. If you try it yourself (I can't remember if it has egg) I suggest you don't eat it expecting it to taste like bread. It tasted more like a crumpet/breakfast muffin to me. Most of the biscuits are nice too.

Is it possible to ask your supermarket if they could order in some more gluten-free products? Maybe you could seek out a Naturopath or a Dietitian. They will have some great hints.

You might have to cook two different meals sometimes to cater for both of you.

Wikipedia has some good info click here

If you do worry about her not getting all the vitamins she needs, then I suggest you look into buying a Hospital Food Drink that is Gluten free. These cover all vitamins and minerals we need, one glass will replace a meal, and it is gentle on the digestive system. Tastes yummy with Ice-cream topping for flavouring - But make sure the topping is gluten-free. Google the product's ingredients. Over here Thickener (1422) is a gluten free one, but I'm not sure if it is the same over there.

And that's something to watch out for obviously.. thickeners.. :thumbdown:

I do feel very badly for her since she is only 3 years old, but at the same time as she gets older she probably won't remember too much of the foods that she used to be able to have. She will learn all there is to know about celiac disease and it's just what she is going to know that is ok for her. I have met with a dietician and have gotten some really good information but I will meet with a nutritionist as well to ensure that she is getting the proper nutrition. I don't want to skip a beat over this at all, I know that some mistakes are probably going to be made, but I want to make sure that I am doing my best for my little girl. Thanks for the tip on the hospital drink as well I think I'm going to look into that as she is low in iron and has to take it orally twice a day ( she hates it, screams when she sees me coming with it.)

Thanks for the info!!!

Actually, you're both right, depending upon which side of the Pond you're on - one's a UK spelling, one's a North American spelling.

Another one of those colour vs. color things. :thumb_yello:

Hey that's an idea - if you Google the alternate spelling, you'll may get some new hits with UK-based information you may not have seen before.

That's interesting. I've learned something new today!! Thanks