Moving Threads?

dcdeb

Which Threads Should We Move to Members Only?  

92 members have voted

1. 1. Which Threads Should We Move to Members Only?

• Don't move any of the threads; leave them where they are!
    • Move the long discussion threads, like The Oldlings, This One's for Us Girls, etc.
    • Move the country threads, like the Australian Thread, the Spanish Thread, and so on.
    • Move all the project threads (birthday present, yearbook, mugs, miscellaneous other projects...)
    • Move all the suggested threads.

I think we should move all of the suggested threads. :thumb_yello: In those kind of threads like the countries threads and oldlings/younglings/middlings etc. we discuss things like our daily lives etc. so for privacy I very much support moving them to the Members Only section. To take part in a project you need to be a member anyway so it's logical to move those to Members Only, and sometimes we want projects to be a surprise so privacy is good there too.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My personal slant on all this is that all public posts (ie not members only) are searchable in google. For instance if you search about Mika going to India (yeah haha, I know, I eventually fell for it) then MFC comes up with THAT thread. Everything you say is out there for ANYONE to read, fights, disagreements, chickeny posts, the LOT!!

I also think by keeping the really good threads as "members only", it is fair for who contribute. These millions of guests we get should sign in and reveal themselves. Bloody stalkers...and who knows how many papparazzi are lurking beind the guest tag, getting their up -to-date Mika news straight from us??? At least Perez joined MFC.

The classic would be if one of the tabloids ran a Mika in India story. Then I would think

:toot:

My personal slant on all this is that all public posts (ie not members only) are searchable in google. For instance if you search about Mika going to India (yeah haha, I know, I eventually fell for it) then MFC comes up with THAT thread. Everything you say is out there for ANYONE to read, fights, disagreements, chickeny posts, the LOT!!

I also think by keeping the really good threads as "members only", it is fair for who contribute. These millions of guests we get should sign in and reveal themselves. Bloody stalkers...and who knows how many papparazzi are lurking beind the guest tag, getting their up -to-date Mika news straight from us??? At least Perez joined MFC.

The classic would be if one of the tabloids ran a Mika in India story. Then I would think

I would have a heart-attack. :roftl:

But I agree, go Members Only for the threads mentioned in the poll. :thumb_yello:

I'm not much for too many words today. I AGREE with BS and Scut.

Can I also suggest "Post your Pic" thread moved to "private/members only" too please? I just keep finding guests lurking in there...

Thanks. :thumb_yello:

Hmmm. I have no problem with privacy or google searchability or anything. We're all well aware that everything we post is going out for everyone to see, and anyone can easily make an account and still perve ... but I guess if some poeple have issues with it still .. :blink:

But I think if you start moving certain threads it'll become hard to define what should be moved and what shouldn't. Like for "long running" threads, how do you define a long running thread, what about the huge range of topics of them ... and where will they go .. "a long running thread section"? It'd get confusing. And then if you go with things like the picture posting one just because it gets a lot of guests ... then it will be even *more* confusing with the arrangement of threads. If you post your picture there, you full well know it's going out there for anyone to see, it's yur choice...

I like the logical arrangement we have now ... mika - mikaart - other bands - random chatter - gigs. I just dont see the point of splitting random chatter up into different things... :boxed:

Though maybe the projects one would be a good one still. :thumb_yello:

They wouldn't go in a new section, just in the "Members Only Discussions" sub-forum under "Members Only".

While some people may be comfortable sharing some things with the whole world others are not. Anyone can make an account to view them that's true, but not having something google search-able is a good start towards privacy. As someone who has been stalked via google searches before I support the idea of moving more personal threads into Members Only so that they can't be indexed by search engines.

But can you imagine if you told people at your school or work that you were on MFC and they came and found who you were on here, and then you suffered negative consequences because of it....

There was this girl used to keep a private (anonymous) blog where she bad mouthed everyone from her work, it was actually very entertaining reading, and then someone from her work stumbled on it in a google search, and she documented on her blog how she ended up losing her job because of it. I have heard of a few other cases like that too.

Nothing is as anonymous as you think. Posting here is the same as the front page of the newspaper!!

I think we should move all those threads because it kinda feels like we get spied on by people who don't join and just come to be nosey, if it's Mika only they are interested in and Mika facts then that should be available but if they want to be PART of the forum then I think they should be proper members (or am I being paranoid) :blink: I just don't like the idea of non members just watching our conversations etc it feels odd.

exactly well said

They wouldn't go in a new section, just in the "Members Only Discussions" sub-forum under "Members Only".

I think we should move all those threads because it kinda feels like we get spied on by people who don't join and just come to be nosey, if it's Mika only they are interested in and Mika facts then that should be available but if they want to be PART of the forum then I think they should be proper members (or am I being paranoid) :blink: I just don't like the idea of non members just watching our conversations etc it feels odd.

Okay okay, I get it. The idea of splitting up the random discussions is :thumbdown: But if we move the whole lot of non-mika related discussion over to members only (ie. move general chinwagging to members only) Then that's okay :wink2::thumb_yello:

Can I also suggest "Post your Pic" thread moved to "private/members only" too please? I just keep finding guests lurking in there...

Thanks. :thumb_yello:

I think the polls are over but still want to put in my 2 cents worth. I really agree with Suzy about the "Post Your Pic" thread. Pictures should be for those who actually want to be members. Not to be the voice of "all mothers out there" :biggrin2: but you just never know whose online (I am sorry I seem to be channeling my mother). My experience here has been that all of the members are such nice people and I think that only nice people join MFC.

I do want to say a word about lurking. Sometimes I feel like one because there is so much information to read or that I have missed in past posts that it takes forever to read. When you pick a forum to go into sometimes there are 50 pages and umpteen posts. I feel like I have to read each one because if I just go to the last page no one could be on the original topic and I feel lost. Like I said above I am not complaining cause no one can be on all of the time. But there may be others like me who are not actual lurkers just very slow lol.

Anyway, even though I haven't posted very much on the site I just want everyone I have come into contact how welcome you make a person feel and my pseudo-lurking has helped me get to know people that much more.:wub2:

Well, based on what I see in the poll results, it looks like we ought to move the project threads for sure to the "Members Only" section of the site. Yes?

I wish that more than 100 of you had voted, but I guess that's still pretty good considering we have a few hundred active posters.

The other threads... maybe we'll just move them on an "as-requested" basis. If enough of the major participants in a thread would live to see it moved to the more private Members Only section, then we can.

I think the polls are over but still want to put in my 2 cents worth. I really agree with Suzy about the "Post Your Pic" thread. Pictures should be for those who actually want to be members. Not to be the voice of "all mothers out there" :biggrin2: but you just never know whose online (I am sorry I seem to be channeling my mother). My experience here has been that all of the members are such nice people and I think that only nice people join MFC.

This could be one instance of the "as-requested" idea -- if the general

consensus of the people

who have posted their photos in this thread is that it ought to be

moved, then we can do that...

But for now... I guess we'll start moving the project threads :thumb_yello:

dcdeb

i'd be all for moving the "post your picture" thread and possibly the pet thread as well to the member section. I agree with the projects as well so people don't join just to take part in that thinking that they'll get to know mika.

:thumb_yello: