Normality

CazGirl

Arthur: Normality? We can talk about normality until the cows come home.

Ford: What is normal?

Trillian: What is home?

Zaphod: What're cows?

Sorry, I know you're discussing a serious issue but this quote from Hitchhiker's popped automatically into my head.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always wondered about the word normal...

Everyone has their own definition of normal..

I don't think anything can be normal in everyone's eyes. I was talking the other day to my friend, and the word normal, and also the definition of beauty. What really is beauty? We define what beauty is and if people are beautiful by what we've seen or heard, either in movies or songs or things like that... Everyone sees it as the same, but if you raised a child to see "ugly" people as beautiful and big girls as the perfect girl, would they change and really see it that way? I don't know if I made sense..Anyways, that's a whole different thing.... :offtopic:

I don't really think normal exists. What is normal? It's a good question... I can't define it.

Anyways, I'm very sorry about your friend Caz. I hope everything goes well for her :original:

while i doubt that anything serious will happen, i can't say it won't. she's not afraid of him, even after hitting her. she's a very strong character but i've said to her that i know how to pull a brave face when I'm crumbling inside. she knows i'm here for her when she needs me and i've told her that she doesn't need to go through this alone...although it's her life and completely her own choice...but i'd rather she went through it with support. another thing she said to me was that she wants to get out of home asap but needs to find the confidence to be independant which i can relate to, because staying at home with the parents is slowly becoming painful. we're both 18, just so you know...

I can totally relate to that as I have mentioned on here just a few weeks ago my mum tried to knife my dad & me nearly 2 years ago plus my mum is verbally abusive & can sometimes be physically violent, I wish I myself could leave home but the point is I lack money despite being 22 & a half & my bad disability means I can't get work, so i'm stumped I have to stay put as i have nowhere else I can go.

I wouldn't say what she's been through is normal at all just because it's common doesn't mean it's normal, abuse of any kind is wrong & just shouldn't go on, I hope things get better for her & I'm glad she has you as a good friend (I don't even have that)

In my idea, normality doesn't exist. my family is so far from the ideal (not normal, ideal) family it isnt even funny. we talk about the most pervish things, but in a sarcastic way. now most of my friends parents are so perfect and all, and i always have thought of my family being 'disfunctional' but it is 100% normal to me, nomatter what anyone say. wearing barbie heads as earrings and teddy pear heads as necklaces is also perfectly normal to me. i have always liked the phrase "what is normal?" because it is so true. normality is basically a matter of oppinions. the 'normal' one person is a normal for another person, it all dpends on how you view things.