Freddies English Teaching Course

It's used in the "Brokeback Moutain"-quote I asked a question before. Sorry, I should have said, that these questions are referred to it.

The two main characters (Ennis+Jack) had their first sex up in the mountains. Now is the next evening and they had "a little talk":

Ennis: This is a one shot thing we got going on here.

Jack: It's nobody's business but ours.

Ennis: You know I ain't queer.

Jack: Me neither.

Yeah, "got going on" basically means something's happening.

I think the Americans use 'got' and 'gotten' a lot more than British English. In fact (in the old days) at school we used to do exercises where we replaced the word 'got' with s.th. more precise, as if 'got' was a bad word. So when Pres. Bush used to speak all folksy and use 'gotten', it sounded bad to me, we never say gotten. Got is already past tense.

Interesting!:thumb_yello:

d) No - it's complicated present :naughty:

:lmfao: You made my day!

It's not grammatically correct English, if that's what you mean, but it is a form of speech that some people use.

That is exactly what I have meant :thumb_yello:

Actually, it could probably be replaced with just the word "have."

Dunno if that helps any tho.

Yes, that helps a lot! Same with these answers:

a) Yes

b) I would say that "we have going on" is the correct form, to me "we have got going on" is a clumsy form used by someone not very literate

c) No - well technically it would be, but I don't think it would be an expression used by most English speakers, we would drop the "got".

d) No - it's complicated present :naughty:

e) Yes - it's a filler

... and that one:

Yeah, "got going on" basically means something's happening.

The mess is starting to make sense :cowboy:

Yes, that's exactly it. Not the Queen's English but Cowboy Speak! :naughty:

*lol* While readig I imagined Ennis and Jack speaking Queen's-English and the Queen speaking Cowboy-English :roftl:

3a) Only for affirmation: There is the phrase "to get going" in English and it means "to get started", right?

3b) The "real verb" in this phrase is "get"?

3c) So, if you would conjugate this phrase it would be "We get going" in simple present, "We got going" in simple past, "We will get going" in future, "We have got going" in present perfect etc.

3d) The "going" is not a real progressive form because it's part of the phrase? (I don't know how to say it better, hope you understand what I mean)

3e) Again only for affirmation: "I got going" would be simple past?

3a) Yes, to get going means to get started, usually implying some kind of action, as in "It's time for the train - let's get going".

3b) as I think we now understand, the real verb is the "have" which doesn't even get said :naughty:

3c) Beautifully conjugated - but not likely to be used in English

3d) I've forgotten what I was going to say :doh:

3e) Yes

Ennis and Jack in Queen's English :king:

Ennis: This event will not reoccur

Jack: It is of no consequence to others

Ennis: You are aware that I am not homosexual

Jack: Neither am I

The Queen in Cowboy :cowboy:

Charlie Boy - this town ain't big enough for the both of us - so chew lead :gun2:

3b) as I think we now understand, the real verb is the "have" which doesn't even get said :naughty:

Cowboy English is strange smiley_emoticons_mttao_cowboy_rolleyes.gif

Ennis: This event will not reoccur

Jack: It is of no consequence to others

Ennis: You are aware that I am not homosexual

Jack: Neither am I

:roftl::thumb_yello:

OMG. I am so silly!!!! doh.gifsmilie_wut_114.gif I can never ever call myself a Brokie again smilie_verl_049.gif

Today I read an other quote from "Brokeback Mountain" with "got" in the meaning of "have" in it. After that the realization came to me like an tsunami. Immediately some other quote with the "got = have got = have"-principle came to my mind.

And there are a lot of other examples in the movie. In most of them it's obvious that the "got" is used like "have". Why none of this sentences came to my mind while I was thinking about the One-Shot-Thing-Sentence? Why I never made the connection to other quotes in the film? :doh::doh::doh:

It's even in one of the most important sentences of the film: "If you can't fix it you got to stand it" :shocked:

OMG. I am so silly!!!! doh.gifsmilie_wut_114.gif I can never ever call myself a Brokie again smilie_verl_049.gif

Today I read an other quote from "Brokeback Mountain" with "got" in the meaning of "have" in it. After that the realization came to me like an tsunami. Immediately some other quote with the "got = have got = have"-principle came to my mind.

And there are a lot of other examples in the movie. In most of them it's obvious that the "got" is used like "have". Why none of this sentences came to my mind while I was thinking about the One-Shot-Thing-Sentence? Why I never made the connection to other quotes in the film? :doh::doh::doh:

It's even in one of the most important sentences of the film: "If you can't fix it you got to stand it" :shocked:

Does that mean I get let off answering the rest of the questions? :wink2:

(And btw - love those smilies smilie_verl_049.gifsmilie_wut_114.gif:roftl:)

Does that mean I get let off answering the rest of the questions? :wink2:

Yes :thumb_yello:

Well... for this one I would be glad to still get an answer

4a) Does a phrase like "to get going on" exists?

But then you are officially decruited :wink2:

And a big "Thanks" to you for taking your time to answer my countless questions one by one!!! :flowers2:

4a) Does a phrase like "to get going on" exists?

I would say not. There are phrases that would exist in English, "to get going" (to get started) and "to get on" (several meanings), but I don't think we would use "to get going on".

Interestingly you have used the word "decruited". I can see how you have come up with this, but in English to describe the opposite of "recruit" we would use a different word - probably "dismissed". Many English words can be reversed by adding or changing a suffix - like happy/unhappy, understood/misunderstood, constructed/deconstructed, but some can't.

:mf_rosetinted: But that's a whole other discussion :naughty:

in some of the latest tweets Mika said he's reading book from Julian Barnes, so I'm wondering which or what book?

is which always for living beings and what for objects?

can it be which book?

It can be which book, if you have a pile of books and you are referring to one of them. Which out of these books..

Basically it's:

-Which; one out of a bunch.

-What; object.

-Who; person.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

It can be which book, if you have a pile of books and you are referring to one of them. Which out of these books..

Basically it's:

-What; object.

-Who; person.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

And in this sentence?

Lots of animals, who/which are already on the verge of extinction, will die out.

And in this sentence?

Lots of animals, who/which are already on the verge of extinction, will die out.

In this sentence it would be correct to say "which", as "who" would be used if referring to people.

Basically it's:

-What; object.

-Who; person.

"I wanna be your brother, wanna be your father too

Never make you run for cover even if they want us to

I wanna be your sister, wanna be your mother too

I wanna be wanna be

Whatever else that touches you"

Why is it "whatever" and not "whoever" here? :confused:

"I wanna be your brother, wanna be your father too

Never make you run for cover even if they want us to

I wanna be your sister, wanna be your mother too

I wanna be wanna be

Whatever else that touches you"

Why is it "whatever" and not "whoever" here? :confused:

I would think the main reason is to just get the sound of it in the song with no deeper meaning at all?

Or...what touches you is not limited to people or persons?:wink2:

Just guessing!:teehee: