Introduction: Cruise 2008!

CazGirl

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Diary 7: Madeira - the last port before journeying home.

We arrived in Madeira and we weren't going to a beach here either. Jenine has visited here before and said she knew where she was going, and didn't think there were any coaches taking us to the town, so we followed her.

Got a text from someone at college: "u cumin in 2day?" (college). I replied "sorry, im in madeira." :naughty:

anyway, Jenine said "it's a bit further than I realised..." and we were like WHAT?! And then she was like "well it HAS been 4 years since I last visited this place..." and we were like :doh: xDDD

anyway, FINALLY found the town and looked round a few shops. Didn't buy anything, nothing took my fancy, although the other three bought bits and bobs.

We then met up with Jenine's performing crew and together we went to the cable cart, to journey up in the mountains/very big hillside! :roftl:

Cable cart quite unnerving. Very high! Just hanging from wire! Gasp! But scenery beautiful!

My camera died the previous night due to having the sand in the lenses so took pics on my crappy phone instead lmao!

spot the ship!

madeira2.jpg

madeira3.jpg

We then reached the very top and went to a café, where we had something to drink. Looked around a bit and stopped by a pretty picturesque scene. Was very peaceful and very beautiful.

madeira1.jpg

Had pictures taken but on different cameras, so will post when I eventually get them. We then had some spanish guy doing a questionnaire, asking us how we would rate Madeira, and we gave it quite a good score :)

after that, we then took something called (can't spell it, will write it phonetically) a tobogun. (to-bog-n)

now, tobogun's are quite funny! They're like these wooden wicker type baskets that fit only two people, and two men push you on it down a hill! My nan and her friend used it many years ago, so i thought "Well if my nan can do it, so can I!" xDDD

So, me and Lorraine climbed into one (Jenine and Joanne going before us) and these two men grabbed a rope each and pulled us down the hill to gain speed, and then they went to the back! At first I thought they were going to leave us to it! But no! They ran behind us, pushing us down, turning us this way and that way to slow down/turn corners/gain speed etc. Was a lot of fun, actually! Felt like a right pleb though, and felt guilty that these two blokes were giving us this kind of transport, kinda wanted to help, but then realised it was just a job and if they didn't want to do it, they wouldn't have, so tried to ebb the guilt away lol.

The ride came to a finish and we were like..."so where do we go now?"

We asked which way the town was a Spanish man said "so many kilometres that way" and we were like "how many kilometres in a mile?" xDDD We took the route anyway.

Which turned out to be downhill.

And was - what - 3 miles long?

my bum!!! It hurt so much!!! Going downhill not fun!!!

Met these old couple - english - who were in madeira for holiday. they were interested as to why we were here, in Jenine's job, the ship etc...although they didn't realise we were family. They thought we were friends, and thought that Joanne - who is 23 - was 18! Possibly even younger! They thought Lorraine was still at school! (a lot of people think she's 16, when she's in fact 19! dunno why, she looks older than me IMO!)

finally found the town centre again and got some icecream, then saw coach back to ship! So there WERE coaches! Silly Jenine!

Got on coach. Saw fit spanish guy outside. fit spanish guy saw me. we kept looking at each other. spanish guy winked. hahahahahaha.

then off we went!

Jenine had a night off tonight from the shows so we had a night of relaxation =]

Diary 8: Dead at Sea.

There's only one event that sticks into my mind on this particular day.

Jenine had a show on tonight, the last one we'd see. It was a Vegas show, that had those all-time Vegas type hits.

We got into sixth or seventh row and before the show started, decided to take pictures on Joanne's camera. People wanted to walk past us to get to centre to seating plan, so when Joanne went to sit back down her chair (bearing in mind the chair had folded up when she stood up) she parked her arse on the top of the chair, and the chair folded down and Jo fell and almost rebounded from her chair :roftl: I was still standing up, laughing my head off, Jo very embarrassed, and said "Sit back down, stop making a spectacle of yourself!" :roftl:

A few minutes later....He arrived.

The Love God. It was formal night once again, and he wore black trousers, a white shirt, a black waistcoat and a white tuxedo jacket. His jet black hair was styled to God-like perfection. Oh my life.

He sat in the first row, right at the end, near the aisle. We sat on the opposite end, although also near an aisle.

Anyway.

The show started.

Just before the Elvis section came on (and during), there was commotion in the third row.

I saw one guy run down energetically down the main aisle (near us) and thought it was one of the performers, but noticed no-one was missing on stage. Odd. Maybe it was an audience member who majorly needed the toilet. A few minutes later, he came running back down again.

Then something more bizarre happened.

He ran off down the aisle again, and two people were lifting this man out of his seat.

The man was jerking and juddering, shaking violently.

They brought him out onto the main aisle, and since I was only two seats away from the aisle and only 3 or 4 rows back, I saw everything.

The old man collapsed on the floor.

A woman started giving him CPR, really going for it.

I was trying SO HARD to concentrate on the show, but was hard not to witness. Was like two extremes - this happy, energetic, lively and entertaining show was going on and then there was this poor, defenceless old man struggling to hold on to his last breath. Felt awful being in the room - I'd have found it humiliating dying in front of so many. Death is not a pretty thing. Jittering and juttering like that...CPR is awful thing to see...kinda makes you realise how precious your life is and how suddenly things can change.

A woman and presumably her husband ran out of the theatre, she had her hand over her mouth, as if she was about to be sick. Someone else ran out, and came back with the cruise director. Cruise director had his microphone and ordered the show to stop immediately, and for everyone to get out of the theatre as quickly as possible.

I darted for it. Wanted to give them space. A man was dying or possibly already dead on the floor. I witnessed a dying man or a death. Wanted to escape fast to show respect and let him go with some dignity, without everyone being nosy.

Alas! Stuck behind crowd/queue. The movement was so slow! Why? I can understand why you'd be curious as to why the show was stopped, but find out later! We needed to get out, and it was taking so long!! I didn't want to be there!

Momentarily lost Joanne and Lorraine. Looked back to see where they were. Someone opened a fire exit near the Love God's side and seemed to be smart to go that way. Not because Love God was there (although good excuse) but because that was the way my family was headed and because the queue was going quickly, as it was nearer the front.

Found my family, ended up being in front though.

Stood next to Love God.

So heavenly.

He took over holding the doors and he saw me and I saw him.

Wanted to say something, something meaningful, something conversational...but appeared to have nothing to say. Wanted to ask if he was alright, but he seemed to be fine. I mean, how random would it be, all these old people probably in shock of seeing that and knowing/understanding how close they must be to that point, and then there's me, this 18 year old girl, asking this twenty something God of a man asking if he was okay? Shock happens to everyone, I know, but seemed a bit...stupid.

Said nothing.

Lorraine and Joanne came out.

Theatre is at an end of the cruise, so we walked to about halfway.

Left Love God behind.

Sat on deckchairs, talking about how shocking it all was. We pretty much thought he was dead.

Announcement on the speakerphone...

"Code Alpha, Code Alpha. Medical team to Curzon Theatre".

Code Alpha, as you all know, is basically for medical emergency or when someone had died.

If that man was dead - and we were sure he was - he'd be laying right next to us in the Mortuary.

Didn't mean to be disrespectful, but it really creeped me out. When walking past the Mortuary you can feel the icy coldness on your feet. It's just creepy, and knowing that someone could be taking up a place in it...

Met Jenine. She was fine. Said some of the dancers came off crying.

Went to the Officer's Mess to discover more news about the man.

Everyone in a state of shock. The reason why they had to get permission to stop the show was because, basically, you're not allowed to stop unless told to or if the band stop playing. The band was at the back, so oblivious to what was happening. So they had to go on. They were talking to each other on stage though, while dancing, wondering what on Earth to do. Stephen had stopped dancing and was just walking round the stage, refusing to dance, saying he couldn't continue. Others, though, kept dancing on autopilot, while there faces and eyes couldn't tear away from the scene even though they didn't want to see what was happening.

The poor performers - they got full blast of what was happening.

One of the performers - bless her - got this HUUUUUGE bar of Galaxy chocolate and was handing it out to everyone.

Cruise Director came in.

"He's alive"

Omg. Omg he lived.

"He did die in the theatre though, was actually dead. He got resussitated."

How extraordinary is that, dying then come back to life? To think your life had ended and then......it's incredible.

Apparently, the old man wasn't - and remains not be - in his right mind. The end was inevitable, and even though he came back to life, he probably won't be for much longer. He may even already be gone.

Cruise director ordered a triple gin and tonic. Well, a triple something anyway. What a thing to witness...and I thought what I saw was shocking.

That's all I remember, but is one thing I'm sure won't escape me for a long while.

Caroline, thank you for sharing your adventure! For people like me who have never been anywhere near these places, your pics and diaries are the next best thing to being there.

:huglove:

Quoting some of the best parts...

Jenine and Joanne got lunch. asked for two burgers and one portion of chips, and pointed to pictures to help with communication. ended up getting three burgers, two portions of chips and a random egg.

LMAO! I don't know why, but that particular bit struck me as painfully funny. :lmao:

...ALL the Spanish men were wearing speedos. EW. Not attractive!! Only good on David Beckham! JUST! One man's ball sac was hanging out! Doubly gross!!

LMAO again! In the words of a wise man, "there's too much information with speedos!"

About your adventure at Aqualand...at least you tried, right? It may have been an awful experience going down that slide - but at least you know that, and won't have to wonder.

About the guy who needed CPR...amazing that medical technology can save someone's life, even on a boat in the middle of the sea, isn't it? I'm glad that had a favourable outcome.

And, about Mr. Love God - did you end up talking to him at all? Funny that you ended up right next to him as the theatre was clearing out...!

*waits for more*

Caroline, thank you for sharing your adventure! For people like me who have never been anywhere near these places, your pics and diaries are the next best thing to being there.

:huglove:

Quoting some of the best parts...

LMAO! I don't know why, but that particular bit struck me as painfully funny. :lmao:

LMAO again! In the words of a wise man, "there's too much information with speedos!"

About your adventure at Aqualand...at least you tried, right? It may have been an awful experience going down that slide - but at least you know that, and won't have to wonder.

About the guy who needed CPR...amazing that medical technology can save someone's life, even on a boat in the middle of the sea, isn't it? I'm glad that had a favourable outcome.

And, about Mr. Love God - did you end up talking to him at all? Funny that you ended up right next to him as the theatre was clearing out...!

*waits for more*

it's got to be the random egg, hasn't it? that set it for me. literally almost made me pee!

I know I tried that slide, but it wouldn't have bothered me if I hadn't, especially knowing that everyone agreed it was the scariest ride there. Ha. They thought I was being silly. WHO ARE THE SILLY PEOPLE NOW HUH?!

It really is amazing how someone can just go from being alive, to dead, to alive again. It's incredible. Obviously he needed to be hospitalised. Did I also mention that the hospital is down deck 4 - the deck we slept in - just a few metres away from the Mortuary? :doh:

As for The Love God....you shall have to wait and see. This does not mean I ended up having a positive experience, neither does it mean negative. Don't wanna get your hopes up or get 'em down, you shall just have to wait until I finish my adventure.

:bleh:

You have packed more into 7 days than I do in 6 months!!! :shocked:

well that's what happens when you go on holiday :roftl: maybe you need one, Wend =]

did you read my other diary? tis on previous page.

well that's what happens when you go on holiday :roftl: maybe you need one, Wend =]

did you read my other diary? tis on previous page.

Yes I did - the cable car was brilliant - I did that in Gibraltar, and its

a bit scary, but awesome. I also read the dead body bit - and although

it was serious at the time, I was laughing my head off when I suddenly

realised you had already mentioned the proximity of the Mortuary to your

cabin, and had thoughts of you trying to sleep knowing the guy was there.

But I am glad he was ok - well, as far as we know!!

The Love God sounds very interesting - it would have been nice to see a

picture of him though :wink2:

I was in France last year, and nothing exciting happened :blink:

May be going to Amsterdam on Monday - maybe something exciting

will happen there :naughty:

Yes I did - the cable car was brilliant - I did that in Gibraltar, and its

a bit scary, but awesome. I also read the dead body bit - and although

it was serious at the time, I was laughing my head off when I suddenly

realised you had already mentioned the proximity of the Mortuary to your

cabin, and had thoughts of you trying to sleep knowing the guy was there.

But I am glad he was ok - well, as far as we know!!

The Love God sounds very interesting - it would have been nice to see a

picture of him though :wink2:

I was in France last year, and nothing exciting happened :blink:

May be going to Amsterdam on Monday - maybe something exciting

will happen there :naughty:

literally, as soon as I saw him receive CPR, the mortuary was my first thought :roftl:

it would have been doubly nice to have picture WITH The Love God :blush-anim-cl: unfortunately i don't even know his name so I can't even search him on MySpace or whatever...if rich people HAVE MySpace (is something like £954 PER PERSON to go on that nine day cruise, we got on for £234!)

Maybe you should go somewhere a bit more.....exotic (don't mean that offensively to France...lol actually, I've never even been) or somewhere where there's tons of attractions and excursions (is that the same as a tour?)

literally, as soon as I saw him receive CPR, the mortuary was my first thought :roftl:

it would have been doubly nice to have picture WITH The Love God :blush-anim-cl: unfortunately i don't even know his name so I can't even search him on MySpace or whatever...if rich people HAVE MySpace (is something like £954 PER PERSON to go on that nine day cruise, we got on for £234!)

Maybe you should go somewhere a bit more.....exotic (don't mean that offensively to France...lol actually, I've never even been) or somewhere where there's tons of attractions and excursions (is that the same as a tour?)

My budget would suggest a weekend in Skegness!! (Sorry, nothing against

Skegness :blush-anim-cl:) :naughty:

My ambition is a cruise though - someday........... :wub2: