Songs For Sorrow Artwork Discussion

I want to hear everyone's opinion on the Toy Boy picture with the orange sky and monkeys! :biggrin2:

i've seen the little part of it at first and thought it's so cute and lovely and it actually raised so many memories.

then when i've seen the entire picture it freaked me out. i read somewhere that it has been modified because at first it was too dark.

that picture stood in my head for days. i don't see what it has to do with toy boy but in a way it does relate to the song, i think. the little kids are playing and above all that it's all the dark stuff.

it's one of my fave pictures of the book.

i like yasmine's drawing of toy boy. it's more of the art we got used to :naughty:

and i like JW's toy boy drawings.

and Lady Jane drawing when she's on the table and the emperors are eating her. those faces that only care for their joy and the eyes of Lady Jane are so suggestive.

oh and i love the blue eyes ones by Sophie Blackall. Especially the little ones when the girl is in the eye, with the eye in the shell and when she's cutting the eye.

well i love them all tbh.

well minus the peter blake collage. i mean it's nice but not my kind :teehee:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh... P.S.: :blush-anim-cl: remember choo-choo? well i think there's this "tag" put on monkeys that they want to steal all innocence. and i get the feeling the little kids stole the toy boy to save him from the "meanest hag" and the monkeys are chasing them to get it back. they work for the hag.

hmm... it's like a disney story indeed.

The first time I read this I thought you were completely nuts, but on reflection, and having had another look at the pic, I think you're absolutely right as to the artist's intention

:roftl: I love that! :thumb_yello:

i've seen the little part of it at first and thought it's so cute and lovely and it actually raised so many memories.

then when i've seen the entire picture it freaked me out. i read somewhere that it has been modified because at first it was too dark.

that picture stood in my head for days. i don't see what it has to do with toy boy but in a way it does relate to the song, i think. the little kids are playing and above all that it's all the dark stuff.

it's one of my fave pictures of the book.

Same with me. It was definitely that picture that stuck with me most and I studied it longest out of all of the others. Most of the other drawings are very straight foward especially for Tpy Boy and Lady Jane because the lyrics to those songs are very visual on their own and one does not generally expect a wild interpretation. I like your idea about the monkeys too. Working for the hag.

If it has been modifies I would really like to see the original. It would give more insight to what the artist was thinking. :blink:

I've realized that almost all of the pictures have both extremely adult images and extremely childish images mixed together. I think that really plays toward the adoloscent theme Mika is going for with this next album because when one is an adolescent one is often stuck in that odd place between adult and child. And it is often dark and uncomfortable as are most of the pictures in this book. :thumb_yello:

:roftl: I love that! :thumb_yello:

Same with me. It was definitely that picture that stuck with me most and I studied it longest out of all of the others. Most of the other drawings are very straight foward especially for Tpy Boy and Lady Jane because the lyrics to those songs are very visual on their own and one does not generally expect a wild interpretation. I like your idea about the monkeys too. Working for the hag.

If it has been modifies I would really like to see the original. It would give more insight to what the artist was thinking. :blink:

I've realized that almost all of the pictures have both extremely adult images and extremely childish images mixed together. I think that really plays toward the adoloscent theme Mika is going for with this next album because when one is an adolescent one is often stuck in that odd place between adult and child. And it is often dark and uncomfortable as are most of the pictures in this book. :thumb_yello:

and that's my kind of life. maybe that's why this whole world fascinates me. it still has the innocence of childhood but it's all in a "grownup world", so, in order to survive you have to blend them all in.

So.... What to say??

I LOVE the art in the EP!

Some I don't like:

• David McKee's Toy Boy (too... childish)
  • Peter Blake's Toy Boy (makes me feel blue in a bad way... don't know why)
  • Jim Medway's Toy Boy's not my favourite
  • DaWack's Blue Eyes (sorry Danika :naughty:)

Some I really like:

• Al Columbia's Toy Boy. I really like the contrast between the cute monkeys and happy-looking kids and the hanging cord :boxed: When I first looked at this one, I didn't immediately notice the cord, but when I did, I was like:shocked:.
  • DaWack's Toy Boy. Yay, I like it. Don't really know why, but I like the atmosphere of this drawing :original:
  • Es Devlin's Toy Boy, cause it's just amazing!!
  • Love the bears story:naughty:
  • David McKee's Lonely Alcoholic. I love these drawings. I love listening to the song and watching the picture!!!
  • Kerascoët's Blue Eyes. It's really beautiful. At first, I thought the girl was Lady Jane:naughty: It's how I imagine LJ more or less. No Blue Eyes, but well, the painting is still beautiful!!
  • Kerascoët's Lady Jane. I love how at first you think it's a happy drawing but then you notice it's really awful:blink: It's really well drawn imo
  • Nilesh Mistry's Lady Jane, cause it corresponds to the idea I have of Lady Jane and I love how it's done! And I love the little twisted details, such as the skull and the bloody feet and hatchet.

Holly Gosh, I almost forgot the COVER!! I love it!!! How the skeletons and the flowers mix together, it's twisted, it's dark and not so dark at the same time: me liiiiikes that :P

• David McKee's Toy Boy (too... childish)
  • Peter Blake's Toy Boy (makes me feel blue in a bad way... don't know why)
  • Jim Medway's Toy Boy's not my favourite
  • DaWack's Blue Eyes (sorry Danika :naughty:)

Some I really like:

It's ok, I don't like it much either (sorry Wack :teehee:)

And I agree with all the one's you don't like. Great minds :fisch:

Well, I'll start with Toy Boy and Lady Jane, cause I haven't seen the whole book properly...yet!

Toy Boy

My faves are Jim Woodring's, Al Columbia's, DaWack's and Es Devlin's drawings, for different reasons.

Jim Woodring's because of the colours, the details and the fact that each drawing is connected to an exact line of the song, and when I listen to the songs of the EP, I kinda imagine a sequence of images, just like he did. And, of course, the drawing itself it's awesome! :wub2:

Al Columbia's...well...To be honest I really don't get it yet! But I must say, the drawing, it's colours...AMAZING! I really like it!

Da Wack's is the closest to the Toy Boy I imagined when I first listened to the song. I like the colours, the expression on the toy's face and the little details, like the people on the street, looking at him, with a kind of suprised face,...

Es Devlin made a Mika-Toy Boy, or at least it looks like him. Reminds me a bit of Pinocchio, because he looks like he's made of "wood" and all. Oh, and love the fact that it's tridimensional! Really cool!

I really don't like David McKee's and Peter Blake's drawings...

Lady Jane

My faves: Nilesh Mistry's and Kerascoët!

Nilesh Mistry's drawings are absolutely fabulous!

Love the contrast between the first b/w pic and the last!

The colours of the other drawings are amazing, and the details... Wow! The expression on the fish's face is so...human! :shocked:

Kerascoët made a funny drawing out of a sad song... :naughty: Lady Jane looks more bored than sad, and that made me giggle! :aah:

The emperor and the others are the typical "royalty bad guys" in the cartoons...Fat, looking happy and always eating! :naughty:

As for the others, I like the way Richard Hogg focused on the hunt for Lady Jane, instead of the tragic story the song is about. And the drawings are cute! :thumb_yello:

Huck Scarry's hippos reminded me of a couloring book! :naughty: I almost took my crayons and started painting them! Cute, but to me looks like it's something missing.

I love Sophie Blackall's work, and this time was not an exception. Even though it's not in my fave list, it's pretty cool! Very dark and bloody, but still, really nice!

First of all ii have to say that i really like the cover and its colors (after all purple is my fave color). The skeletons fit the sorrow theme and the flowers somehow make the image a bit less sad.

Toy Boy: my favorite illustrations are DaWack's (love everything about it, the colors, toy's expression) and J. Woodring's (cuz his drawings look as though they were taken from a comic book)

Lonely ALcoholic: like D. McKee's drawing best. I think it captures the lyrics of the song perfectly

Lady Jane: my fave is Nilesh Mistry's work,it's so beautifully designed

Blue Eyes: Love both illustrations equally. Kerascoet's haunting blue eyes images are amazing and i love the fact that DaWack's design tells a story

Cant wait to see the illustrations for the new album:wub2:

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, just a couple of things about the drawing for Lonely Alcoholic by David McKee. The page on the right.

1) The top window at the front: isn't that cat at the window, observing the two birds :licks_lips: , a real cutie? :wub2:

2) The window on the first floor at the front: don't you think the curly composer at the piano looks quite familiar? :fisch:

Ok guys, just a couple of things about the drawing for Lonely Alcoholic by David McKee. The page on the right.

1) The top window at the front: isn't that cat at the window, observing the two birds :licks_lips: , a real cutie? :wub2:

2) The window on the first floor at the front: don't you think the curly composer at the piano looks quite familiar? :fisch:

It did take me a little while, but I finally realized that it was Mika a few hours after I started looking at it. :lol3:

When I took the book into the tattoo shop to get my tattoo all of the artists took the book and started huddeling around it to look at the art. One of them had heard of Mika and the others had heard of some of the artists and even recognized their artwork quite easily. They were really inrigued by the reasoning for the book and the explinations I gave them of the songs and of how Mika works. It was great. :wub2:

It did take me a little while, but I finally realized that it was Mika a few hours after I started looking at it. :lol3:

When I took the book into the tattoo shop to get my tattoo all of the artists took the book and started huddeling around it to look at the art. One of them had heard of Mika and the others had heard of some of the artists and even recognized their artwork quite easily. They were really inrigued by the reasoning for the book and the explinations I gave them of the songs and of how Mika works. It was great. :wub2:

Oh you got it done already? Can I see? :boing:

mytattoo.jpg

Ta-dah!!!!

:aah:

I gave my artist the freedom to play with the wings a bit and I'm really happy with what he did :teehee: He also came up with the way to write the words, so it kinda frames the angel :biggrin2:

Edited by purplegrape

mytattoo.jpg

Ta-dah!!!!

:aah:

I gave my artist the freedom to play with the wings a bit and I'm really happy with what he did :teehee: He also came up with the way to write the words, so it kinda frames the angel :biggrin2:

I love love love it Amber . . (as I have already said :teehee:) MAKES me want my Mika tattoo all the more . . . I LOVE yours . . I want something TOTALLY original like that and having the lyrics is JUST :wub2: I guess I should START by picking the lyrics that I want to use . . . yeah THAT is a good starting point!!!! :doh:

I love love love it Amber . . (as I have already said :teehee:) MAKES me want my Mika tattoo all the more . . . I LOVE yours . . I want something TOTALLY original like that and having the lyrics is JUST :wub2: I guess I should START by picking the lyrics that I want to use . . . yeah THAT is a good starting point!!!! :doh:

Thanks Holly

He was really happy to get to do something really original like mine. He took a pic right after he finished and put it on his myspace (that's where I got this pic). He was the sweetest guy I've ever met, kept talking to me through the whole thing to try to keep my mind off of the "pain." He pratically told me his entire life story and a few small details that may have been a little innapropriate :naughty:

But I'll definitely go back to him for my next one :biggrin2:

Do you have any idea at all what you're getting? :naughty:

Edited by purplegrape

Thanks Holly :blush-anim-al:

He was really happy to get to do something really original like mine. He took a pic right after he finished and put it on his myspace (that's where I got this pic). He was the sweetest guy I've ever met, kept talking to me through the whole thing to try to keep my mind off of the "pain." He pratically told me his entire life story and a few small details that may have been a little innapropriate :naughty:

But I'll definitely go back to him for my next one :biggrin2:

Do you have any idea at all what you're getting? :naughty:

OMG . .. that is awesome . . MAYBE I will go to HIM too . . I can say that you sent me!!!! :naughty: SERIOUSLY though I obviously know he does GOOD work . . and if he is NICE too . . I will make that drive! On a scale from 1-10 JUST HOW intense was the pain? REALLY?????? :shocked:

I have NO clue on the design . . which is honestly the WHOLE reason I don't have mine YET!!!! How did you come up with that? It is brilliant!

OMG . .. that is awesome . . MAYBE I will go to HIM too . . I can say that you sent me!!!! :naughty: SERIOUSLY though I obviously know he does GOOD work . . and if he is NICE too . . I will make that drive! On a scale from 1-10 JUST HOW intense was the pain? REALLY?????? :shocked:

I have NO clue on the design . . which is honestly the WHOLE reason I don't have mine YET!!!! How did you come up with that? It is brilliant!

He is nice enough for the drive, what is it, about an hour over here?

When he shaved the spot at first he said "now don't worry, you don't have a hairy back or something like that, I have to do it." i told him that I knew and understood, not to worry and he started making fun of girls that freak out when he has to shave some part of their body :naughty:

He also told me that I "sat like a champ" and that most guys squirm and cry when they get tattoos :naughty: He told me to hold still before he even started and all through it he was making me laugh which made me move :lol3:

I can't even explain some of his stries and how nice he is. they all are really but I was really happy to have him work on me.'

And if you did go to him your name would go down on my card and if I refer 7 people to him I get a free tattoo up to $150 :dance_man: I already have 3 or 4 people lined up :naughty:

But sorry, I'm just blabbing now :bleh:

I don't think it hurt. He gave me a small "zap" with it first so I could try the pain out and it was almost disappointing. he keptoffering me a break in case I felt "woozy" or if the pain got too bad but I didn't need it.He stopped enough to refill the needle for me to not need a break. He described it as "a bad catscratch that burned" but I didn't think so at all. on a scale of 1-10.........I'd say 3.

You want something Mika related right? Picture or words or both?

Actually, I was gonna get something sooner than now but once the EP was ordered I decided to wait cause i knew there would be cool stuff in there. My dad was paying for mine (and got his own) so it had to be kinda cheap. I loved Blue Eyes the moment I first heard it and I really connected to it and I wanted the closest art I could get to Mika. My problemwas that all of Mika's art is very colourful and colour costs a good bit of money. When I saw the angel I instantly fell in love with it and it was a simple design. And that lyric just sorta seemed to fit it perfectly as it seems angels are thought of as happy, not sad....how "peculiar" :naughty:

He is nice enough for the drive, what is it, about an hour over here?

When he shaved the spot at first he said "now don't worry, you don't have a hairy back or something like that, I have to do it." i told him that I knew and understood, not to worry and he started making fun of girls that freak out when he has to shave some part of their body :naughty:

He also told me that I "sat like a champ" and that most guys squirm and cry when they get tattoos :naughty: He told me to hold still before he even started and all through it he was making me laugh which made me move :lol3:

I can't even explain some of his stries and how nice he is. they all are really but I was really happy to have him work on me.'

And if you did go to him your name would go down on my card and if I refer 7 people to him I get a free tattoo up to $150 :dance_man: I already have 3 or 4 people lined up :naughty:

But sorry, I'm just blabbing now :bleh:

I don't think it hurt. He gave me a small "zap" with it first so I could try the pain out and it was almost disappointing. he keptoffering me a break in case I felt "woozy" or if the pain got too bad but I didn't need it.He stopped enough to refill the needle for me to not need a break. He described it as "a bad catscratch that burned" but I didn't think so at all. on a scale of 1-10.........I'd say 3.

You want something Mika related right? Picture or words or both?

Actually, I was gonna get something sooner than now but once the EP was ordered I decided to wait cause i knew there would be cool stuff in there. My dad was paying for mine (and got his own) so it had to be kinda cheap. I loved Blue Eyes the moment I first heard it and I really connected to it and I wanted the closest art I could get to Mika. My problemwas that all of Mika's art is very colourful and colour costs a good bit of money. When I saw the angel I instantly fell in love with it and it was a simple design. And that lyric just sorta seemed to fit it perfectly as it seems angels are thought of as happy, not sad....how "peculiar" :naughty:

Okay that is it . . .I am SOLD - I am SO going to go to him!!!! MAYBE we can work it out and you can go with me, you know - to hold my hand . . cause UNLIKE you - I am a big baby!!!! Even though I have given birth three times . . I don't know how I would be . . . what a WIMP - right - BUT if it is a MIKA tat . . i think that I am all good - cause I REALLY want it!!!! REALLY Honestly UNTIL I saw yours . . I never even thought of doing lyrics . . I always thought of just getting his name in an awesome design . . WHICH I am still clueless about! As far as a pic . . . hhhhmmm would defo consider if I did the lyrics thing . .. I am LOST - I want it all :lmao:

How much did it cost? If you don't want to say that OUT LOUD you can PM it to me! :naughty:

I'd love to go with you :naughty:

You see, I have a fear of getting Mika's name or a picture of him or something because I'm afraid, being that his career kinda just started, that he'll do something to make me hate him :no: and then I'll be stuck with it forever. At least a lyric (being that I'm very emotionally attached to music) could be something I'll love forever. And I also really love art so i feel safer with what I got.

My dad and I paid $110 each and they guys gave us a deal, that I'm not supposed to tell anyone about, because they liked usand the book I brought in. :naughty:

What's your favourite Mika song?

I'd love to go with you :naughty:

You see, I have a fear of getting Mika's name or a picture of him or something because I'm afraid, being that his career kinda just started, that he'll do something to make me hate him :no: and then I'll be stuck with it forever. At least a lyric (being that I'm very emotionally attached to music) could be something I'll love forever. And I also really love art so i feel safer with what I got.

My dad and I paid $110 each and they guys gave us a deal, that I'm not supposed to tell anyone about, because they liked usand the book I brought in. :naughty:

What's your favourite Mika song?

:teehee: your secret is safe with me . . .

Just basically wanted to KNOW how much moolah I need to safe up for it!!! :naughty: Ahhhh, I see . . . I feel completely SAFE getting Mika's name on me . . cause I KNOW that I am going to love him for the rest of my mortal life . . I mean there is not even the slightest doubt about that . . and AS MAD as he could ever make me, I know that I would be able to eventually get over it - cause my love is pretty much unconditional - and just like ANY relationship or family member (it is inevitible to fight and for them to totally piss you off once in a while) and beleive me - I waiting for Meeks to totally piss me off! :lmao:

OMG - if you could go with me . . .I would be BRAVE, (cause I wouldn't dare let you see how much a baby I am :no:) :naughty:

MY FAVE MIKA SONG IS: Stuck in the Middle

. . . and I don't see that EVER changing cause it has remained my fave for 2 years now - JUST don't know what lyrics I would stamp on my arm for the rest of my being from THAT song! :roftl:

I DO L O V E Blue Eyes too . . . SO MUCH - just like you - I feel emotionally connected to that song (IMMEDIATELY)