Hit and Run: From The Independent 7/7/09

dcdeb

sara and suzie, i agree with both of you! :wink2:

i've always thought that making comparisons with legends (freddie, mj, prince or madonna etc) is kinda silly, because they are part of everyone's life, we're all grown up listening their music!

so, imo, in comparing a pretty new and young artist like mika with freddie or even mj, is obvious that mika results the loser..

but nobody take a min to think how freddie, mj or madonna were like when they were at their first record or when they were 25 (i'm 32 now, and me for first was too young for remember, but i recognise how big they are/were) .. i don't think that they were a LEGEND at that time..

besides, i think that those huge artists are/were so huge because they've changed the way of making music mixed with their personality and way to perform

i'm def not a music expert, but they say that mika's music is different and he's got the personality and all the rest..

so i agree with the journalist saying that mika could do a good career, and think big is flattering, but he's only at the beginning.. after all, rome wasn't built in a day :thumb_yello:

Edited by Lil'Violet

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all a marketing ploy, of course :wink2:

Of course!

Well of course but I think what Gata is saying is it's not going to work very well if the single is crap. :teehee:

That is indeed what I was saying. If you approach the marketing of a 'comeback' single in this cloak and dagger fashion, you have to have the goods to back it up, and I get the feeling WAG is considered worth it.

Wouldn't it be funny now though if we all listen to it on the 17th and think.........ohhhhhh :boxed: erm, well, it's okay..................

:roftl:

Wouldn't it be funny now though if we all listen to it on the 17th and think.........ohhhhhh :boxed: erm, well, it's okay..................

:roftl:

Nooooo waaaaay!!:roftl:

Didn't Calvin Harris also write a tweet about the wonderful third harmonies he heard in that song??? Or was I hallucinating? :blink:

Nooooo waaaaay!!:roftl:

Didn't Calvin Harris also write a tweet about the wonderful third harmonies he heard in that song??? Or was I hallucinating? :blink:

I think he did say something highly complimentary, can't remember what though.

I was just thinking of the worst case scenario :naughty:.

Honestly though, this song is now reaching almost mythical proportions..it can only be a slight let down! :aah: No, I'm sure I will be blown away :wink2:.

I feel the same... from all the bits and pieces we have heard so far and the acoustic gigs also confirming how much he has matured....:wub2:

I think Mika was more mature when he was 10 than MJ was at the age of 50.

There are two terms I really dislike when artists are compared against each other:

1., giving titles to them like King of this, Queen of that... Prince of the... greatest entertainer of all times etc...

I hate such clichés, not to mention that there is no objective way to measure this.

2., when people are talking about one artist replacing another in these positions...

It really must be most annoying for any fan of a particular artist when they hear a newcomer trying to 'reclaim the crown' of their favourite...

I know that a lot of Queen fans turned away from Mika only for this reason as soon as he appeared, saying no-one can ever be as big as Freddie...etc... - I think it simply shows that some people cannot move on with life and prefer to live in the past, turning their anger at anyone coming close to the greatness of their favourite musicians.

In reality, I don't think that any artist's greatness can be weighed against that of another one.

I really agree with this all.

I think that if you like an artist, you like them. End of the story. What does it help to say: Oh no, this one is way better! (except for the one's that playback and all, the basic stuff, but everyone probably already got that.)? Nothing. It's just a lot of nonsense.

And I must agree with almost everyone on here. I don't want Mika to be the king of pop. Why would you even think of that? MJ has just died man..There'll probably never be anyone else who will sell more records as MJ. Never. Oh, and I also don't want to see Mika losing his mind so early and getting all crazy because of the paparazzi, the pressure.

Honestly though, this song is now reaching almost mythical proportions..it can only be a slight let down! :aah: No, I'm sure I will be blown away :wink2:.

Oh yeah..I'm so excited. And surprised it hasn't even leaked yet! I think that's a good thing.

But it sounds really good, cause all those journalists only gave it (really) positive reviews. So I can't wait! I don't believe I've ever been this excited just for a single.:biggrin2:

I think MJ will stay the King forever, because he is still among us... (CNN, anyone? :roftl:

) :teehee: But hey, there's not only one king in the world :biggrin2: You've got plenty of kings in the world, so why should Mika not be one? :wink2:

well while I've been a fan of Michael since I was 1 years old which is now 22 & a half years & feel he's THE ultimate singer ever & always will remain so, i believe Mika is the nearest we shall ever get to the "next" king of pop!!!

I feel Michael should be retitled the ultimate King of pop & Mika just the regular king of pop, I mean Mika sure has talent, far more than any other singer out there in the past 10 or more years (not including mj may I point out i'm talking besides him)

Mika has has a bit of a crummy start to life hasn't he, just like Michael!!

o.k no way as bad i'm sure, but still he hasn't had it easy Mika has he?!?

Plus I have seen a lot of similarities between him & Mj I even did a thread about it months & months ago on here listing similarities & asking others if they could think of any more things Mika has in common with mj

I think Mika truly has the potential, He won't be quite as successful as mj, no way!!! no one EVER will achieve that! it's absurd to think anybody ever will achieve that amount of success! but I believe Mika has the best chance of getting as close as any one will ever get:wink2:

no one will ever replace Michael but Mika will sure achieve long term success & be a good heir to the king of pop throne that's for sure!

and like i say mj should be "promoted" to ultimate king of pop as no one will ever overtake him!!!

I just hope Mika doesn't suffer any of the tragedies mj has in his life & the tragic early end to his life

that would be just too painful to see another genius robbed from us