Belgian review - Big talent under a layer of kitsch

IMG_8022.jpg

Translation..

With Life In Cartoon Motion Mika made pretty much the biggest mistake one can make as a newcomer: delivering a near perfect pop album. Three years later the Lebanese young man has to face the consequences of that: The Boy Who Knew Too Much doesn’t manage to surpass the irresistable charm of the debut album, but it comes pretty close to it.

On this theme album based on adolescence Mika rarely restrains himself. Excessive choires, generous cabaret parts, the high pitched voice, violins and an overall production that doesn’t shy away from the “more is more” philosophy will turn The Boy Who Knew Too Much into another ‘love or hate’ album.

No worries for Mika though: the 5 million copies he sold of his debut album prove that the big public IS waiting for this extravagant – although there are some more mellow moments on this album- pop music laced with Queen and Pet Shop Boys influences which becomes even more special live due to Mika’s charismatic personality. Beneath the kitschy surface there still lies a very big talent.

Edited by Guest

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With Life In Cartoon Motion Mika made pretty much the biggest mistake one can make as a newcomer: delivering a near perfect pop album. Three years later the Lebanese young man has to face the consequences of that: The Boy Who Knew Too Much doesn’t manage to surpass the irresistable charm of the debut album, but it comes pretty close to it.

On this theme album based on adolescence Mika rarely restrains himself. Excessive choires, generous cabaret parts, the high pitched voice, violins and an overall production that doesn’t shy away from the “more is more” philosophy will turn The Boy Who Knew Too Much into another ‘love or hate’ album.

No worries for Mika though: the 5 million copies he sold of his debut album prove that the big public IS waiting for this extravagant – although there are some more mellow moments on this album- pop music laced with Queen and Pet Shop Boys influences which becomes even more special live due to Mika’s charismatic personality. Beneath the kitschy surface there still lies a very big talent.

Thank you Bienie for posting thsi terrific review.

I have to agree with Marilyn Mastin - I love LICM -but -I already I love The Boy Who knew Too Much more & I think it is a better album.

After 3 days of non-stop listening to it I still can't decide on a faourite or a list of best to least.

Mika has a winner on his hands -Congrats Mika!

It's a magazine that you can find in the weekend-edition of "Het Belang van Limburg" :wink2:

The thing was on my bed when I woke up this morning .. so when I sat up I had Mika staring at me :roftl: Was a :blink:-moment ... :lmfao: