"Mika discusses his new album, getting undressed and Perez Hilton" from EW.com

mari62

mika-musician-piano_l1.jpg?w=320&h=240

SEP 22 2009

by Tim Stack

Pop star Mika drops his second album, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, today, and fans of the singer’s power pop will NOT be disappointed (Music Mix-ers can hear an exclusive stream here).

The adorable and soft-spoken Englishman sat down a few weeks ago with EW for a chat about really important stuff like why he stripped down to his undies in the video for lead single “We Are Golden” and what he thinks of pal (and Number One Fan) Perez Hilton’s new record label. Oh and we discussed his new music.

On the New Record “With the album, I wanted to paint this kind of comic-book version of my adolescence. I made a conscious decision to try and write a few more songs in the first person. Unfortunately, I’ve written songs that have dealt with a lot of different things from my personal life and these kind of psychosexual melodramas set within an adolescent context but all framed within pop music. The only difficult thing for me now is I get asked questions about all these things.”

On Still Not Being a Huge Star in the U.S. “I don’t get played on radio. Radio stations are saying I’m too weird and too English. I’m like ‘What the f***?’ It’s bizarre. But it doesn’t matter because I still do the tours and it still makes me happy, so who cares. I’m not obsessed with this concept, that kind of Robbie Williams disease. It’s so unappealing to me. Like ‘I have to be big in America.’ I have my place here.”

On Dancing Around in Underwear for the “We Are Golden” Video “I’ve never done anything like that before. I wanted to kind of blow away the dust that had collected between the two records.”

On Perez Hilton’s New Label “I know he’s been wanting to do this for a very long time. Love him or hate him, you can’t deny that he’s a fan of music and that he stands by the things that he supports when it comes to music.”

http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/09/22/mika-interview/

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mika-musician-piano_l1.jpg?w=320&h=240

SEP 22 2009

by Tim Stack

Pop star Mika drops his second album, The Boy Who Knew Too Much, today, and fans of the singer’s power pop will NOT be disappointed (Music Mix-ers can hear an exclusive stream here).

The adorable and soft-spoken Englishman sat down a few weeks ago with EW for a chat about really important stuff like why he stripped down to his undies in the video for lead single “We Are Golden” and what he thinks of pal (and Number One Fan) Perez Hilton’s new record label. Oh and we discussed his new music.

On the New Record “With the album, I wanted to paint this kind of comic-book version of my adolescence. I made a conscious decision to try and write a few more songs in the first person. Unfortunately, I’ve written songs that have dealt with a lot of different things from my personal life and these kind of psychosexual melodramas set within an adolescent context but all framed within pop music. The only difficult thing for me now is I get asked questions about all these things.”

On Still Not Being a Huge Star in the U.S. “I don’t get played on radio. Radio stations are saying I’m too weird and too English. I’m like ‘What the f***?’ It’s bizarre. But it doesn’t matter because I still do the tours and it still makes me happy, so who cares. I’m not obsessed with this concept, that kind of Robbie Williams disease. It’s so unappealing to me. Like ‘I have to be big in America.’ I have my place here.”

On Dancing Around in Underwear for the “We Are Golden” Video “I’ve never done anything like that before. I wanted to kind of blow away the dust that had collected between the two records.”

On Perez Hilton’s New Label “I know he’s been wanting to do this for a very long time. Love him or hate him, you can’t deny that he’s a fan of music and that he stands by the things that he supports when it comes to music.”

http://music-mix.ew.com/2009/09/22/mika-interview/

:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:

Thanks for Posting! I love How Mika thinks... he's right about the fame thing in USA

:thumb_yello::thumb_yello:
not sure U.S. is so unappealing to him

On Still Not Being a Huge Star in the U.S. “I don’t get played on radio. Radio stations are saying I’m too weird and too English. I’m like ‘What the f***?’ It’s bizarre. But it doesn’t matter because I still do the tours and it still makes me happy' date=' so who cares. I’m not obsessed with this concept, that kind of Robbie Williams disease. It’s so unappealing to me. Like ‘I have to be big in America.’ I have my place here.”

[/i']

Edited by mari62

not sure U.S. is so unappealing to him

I was trying to support him, so that he won't change his mind tomorrow. :naughty:

maybe he's trying to convince himself he's not obsessed with it? :teehee:

I think he's just confronted with it all the time because there are people who stand to gain a lot from any success he has in the US and they are preoccupied on his behalf. :naughty:

There are a few things Mika could do that would increase his appeal in the US without compromising himself (I don't think anyway), but he doesn't do them. He really doesn't seem anywhere near as desperate to break in the US as his record company is.

I think he's just confronted with it all the time because there are people who stand to gain a lot from any success he has in the US and they are preoccupied on his behalf. :naughty:

There are a few things Mika could do that would increase his appeal in the US without compromising himself (I don't think anyway), but he doesn't do them. He really doesn't seem anywhere near as desperate to break in the US as his record company is.

yes, i think you're right, but as he's half American he'd certainly like to have more success there

The only difficult thing for me now is I get asked questions about all these things.

this made me giggle... :teehee::naughty: wonder if this had anything to do with his decision to become more open in interviews - he wrote the songs and then found out that he just had no other choice than to answer the questions about them. :naughty:

this made me giggle... :teehee::naughty: wonder if this had anything to do with his decision to become more open in interviews - he wrote the songs and then found out that he just had no other choice than to answer the questions about them. :naughty:

yeah probably........made me giggle as well :naughty:

Yes I really do think it's the company who are more keen for him to break into the American market than Mika himself is. I think if it came to a choice for Mika, between compromising who he is and the kinds of songs he writes in order to appeal to the US, or staying as he is and NOT breaking America, I think he'd not change one bit!

T4P - regarding his songs spawning questions, I can't help but feel a little sorry for him. People are always sleuthing anyway around stars, without the stars giving them ammunition. But I suppose he has to talk sometime.